Start by marking “The Mark (Henry Parker #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark (Henry Parker #1)

The Mark (Henry Parker #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,294 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews

All I can think about is how much I want to live.

I moved to New York City a month ago to become the best journalist the world had ever seen. To find the greatest stories never told. And now here I am Henry Parker, twenty-four ye
Published June 19th 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark

Tulay
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced story.

Good thrilling read, but needs a good editors. Henry Parker started his dream job, even his father told him repeatedly "you're no good." Interview he was sent to put him in the middle of mobsters, crooked police officers.
Gina
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent debut novel!

I saw The Guilty on the shelf at Coles when it came out and read the synopsis. It sounded intriguing. Plus, the quotes from authors I’ve read helped as well, so I picked it up. I hadn’t realized it was the second book, so I picked up the first, The Mark. Am I ever glad I did!

And I had to agree with the reviews. The book is a gripping page-turner and I had a hard time putting it down. I felt bad for Henry, being stuck in the position he was in. While most of us would turn aw
Titas (I read in bed)
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Buying a book just because it is cheap due to some offer was a huge gamble for me but the good news is I won!
It was a huge surprise when the book turned out to be a smooth crime thriller as promised in its catchy premise - "Right as I'm about to die, I realize all the myths are fake. There's no white light at the end of a tunnel. My life isn't flashing before my eyes"!
Henry Parker is a newbie journalist waiting for a snoop to catch. One night he tries to help a man form being physically abused
Lindamac
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I really liked the main character Henry Parker and his plight in this story. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Steve
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Steve by: Library
Shelves: library, thriller
First of the series. Started off a little slow, but picked up just before I was going to let it go.
Kathy Starling
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good reading material except

it could use another editing. too many misplaced words that caused you to stop reading and try to figure out what was suppose to be there.
Sylvia Fenwick
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mark / A page Turner .

Jason Pinter has captured the suspense required to

Hold a reader's interest from first page to last.

An original plot full of action .
Kerlip Bintang
Feb 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Sharon
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book for review is “The Mark” by Jason Pinter. The genre is action, adventure and a bit of drama.

Our main character, Henry Parker, is a journalist. He has just landed his dream job at the New York Gazette. Not only is it his place of employment but his idol works there, Jack O’Donnell. A man who was a legend in his own mind and others but it was well-earned. In a short time of working Henry gets a break, to work with Jack. All Henry has to do is get an interview from a source that Jack is wo
Donna Brown
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This is Pinter's first novel and it's a fair first attempt. The main character is a young, idealistic reporter who ends up running for his freedom and his life after shooting a cop. I won't give too much away but this is a reasonably good story with some twists, turns and - of course - romance.

Two things made it difficult for me to rate this more highly. Firstly, the main character Henry didn't seem very likeable to me. A little too arrogant, a little too know-it-all, a little too whiny. Secondl
Tobin Thomas
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting cat and mouse game turned thriller where the whole city of New York wants to hunt down a young journalist who’s pinned into a murder. It has a great start but failed to maintain the thrill element as it progressed. A decent climax followed by some edgy last chapters sums up this one as a one time decent read.
Lee
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: henry-parker
A thriller written by a young author, that happens to be his debut novel. Jason Pinter wrote a page-turner from the get go. A blend of a crime novel, with corruption and journalism thrown in. The reader is really rooting for Henry Parker....then you're hoping he makes it out alive. A great start to the series, which I will definitely be continuing.
Debra H. Wruble
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense

Very interesting story about a journalist wrongly accused of murder and being hunted down by the police and a hit man working for a crime family. Well written and kept me guessing as to how they all came together.
Ed Egbert
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Bad

Would have been much better if the Author had not had his characters so foul mouth. Otherwise I recommend this book to all who enjoy a good mystery. E
Mary Manson
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely an Attention Grabber

This was a first book authored by Mr. Pinter and it won't be my last. Fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. What you think you have figured out will not be how the book ends.
Sandra
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
This slow-starter turned out to be really interesting towards the middle. Though not really my cup of tea, it held my interest for the duration of the pages, though it petered out near the end.

Henry Parker lands his dream job as a reporter for one of New York's finest newspapers. Sent on assignment by his idol reporter to the seemingly benign apartment of an ex-convict, Henry's life is turned upside down when he intercepts a deal gone bad.

Running for his life, he meets a girl willing to run with
Shannon
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Breakneck pace.

Henry Parker is the kind of guy you root for and Pinter has done an excellent job putting his rookie reporter in pot after pot of boiling water. The methodic layout of the novel pulls you in and keeps you moving forward, with barely time to catch your breath. I actually gasped out loud several times as characters surprised me... always a good sign.

The story itself is ratcheted up a notch with the introduction of Amanda. I particularly enjoyed the way her own history w
Amy
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Mark started off a little bit slowly, but once it took off it didn't let up! The story itself is cliche--mobsters, dirty cops, innocent guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, pretty girl who sees him for who he truly is and aids and abets him... We've all seen this story a billion times in theaters or on TV. But I don't care that this story is cliche! The Mark was exciting, blood-pounding, adrenaline-rush reading! The main characters were all sympathetic. I had a really hard time putting ...more
Jacque
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book and was about to give up. The reason is there are so many typos and grammatical errors, like nobody proofed this before publishing. I am not one to give up on a book so I kept reading, trying to ignore the errors. By Chapter 6, I was hooked and couldn't stop reading it. It has a lot of twists and turns and really kept my interest. If you can overlook the errors, this is a good read.
Leslea
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was happy to find out this was the first in a series as I really liked the character of Henry Parker.
Finally getting his dream job as a reporter on a New York newspaper, Henry thinks life is perfect, but when a simple interview with what seems to be a sweet old couple goes horribly wrong he has to run for his life and try to clear his name. Clever writing, fast paced and page turning.
Ramon Dearmas
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing a fugitve story for sure! I would highly recommend it if you have been reading some slow dribble of a novel and want to spice things up.

Great young new author who I will definetly add to my list : < )
Jill Sansone
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

"Right as I'm about to die, I realize all the myths are fake. There's no white light at the end of a tunnel. My life isn't flashing before my eyes."

Do you need a better first sentence? It's a great escape read.
Anna
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Friend gave it to me to read.. we had our own "book club". I jumped into it and did! Would be a great read for the beach.. The story was great, kept me excited.. twists and turns.. I'm wanting to read the next book!
Gwendolyn Harris
In the line of fire

Action and suspense from the beginning chapter to end of story. This book is a page turner for sure. I can see why he won so many awards. I will be following his work!!!! Two thumbs up! This book was movie material.
Lauren
Jul 16, 2007 added it
The author is my best friend's husband...so don't just read the book, GO OUT AND BUY A COPY!!I read the book in two days...I could not put it down I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. It was great!!
Becky Kincaid
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun, fast, and exciting. Once I got into it I had to finish it. It's a great ride with curves and bumps. I'm now a fan of Jason Printer and getting ready to start The Fury.
Dave Cohen
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Mark, a freshly minted newspaper reporter finds himself embroiled in his own story. After a cop is accidentally shot while in a tussle with Parker, he ends up on the run from the cop's FBI brother-in-law as well as a mob boss.

The story was pretty good, but too much of it was not very believable. For instance, no FBI agent would shoot at a suspect on the run in a crowded subway station. Characters were too ready to spill their guts at the least question or provocation. If a killer for hire
Deirdre
An okay read; really about two-and-a-half stars. A Mafia war for kingship. A veteran NYPD detective who never considers the rule "innocent until proved guilty" while hunting the so-called killer of his NYPD brother-in-law. A young reporter being chased for all the wrong reasons, accused of killing the NYPD brother-in-law detective without any evidence, so no possible chain of evidence. Various bad guys; one almost cartoonish killer of all killers.

All together a difficult book to get through, kno
Lorna
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Tal vez no fue mi momento para leerlo. En un principio era atrapante y entretenido, pero luego le perdí el hilo y lo abandoné. Cuando intenté retomarlo me aburrió (sí, muy triste!!) así que con lo poco que leí me parece que merece las 3 estrellas, porque es prometedor. Pero honestamente esta es una reseña a cambiar a futuro, o simplemente de paso.

Más adelante, tal vez en verano, lo retome y cambie mi opinión.
Sandy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mark:A Henry Parker Novel

Entertaining light reading a quiet afternoon. Characters are likeable. Storyline is typical good guy running from bad guys trying to prove his innocence before it's too late.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong data 3 20 Jul 20, 2015 03:26PM
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice, #4)
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Vanish
  • Mania
  • Amberville
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me, #1)
  • Primitive
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Exposure
  • Raising Jake
  • The Kiribati Test
  • Paradox
  • Tumor
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
Jason Pinter is the bestselling author of five novels in his Henry Parker thriller series, which have over one million copies in print worldwide and have been published in over a dozen countries, as well as the Middle Grade adventure novel Zeke Bartholomew: SuperSpy. He has been nominated for the Thriller Award, Strand Critics Award, Barry Award, RT Reviewers Choice Award, Shamus Award and CrimeSp ...more
More about Jason Pinter

Henry Parker (6 books)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker #2)
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker #3)
  • The Fury (Henry Parker #4)
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker #5)
  • The Invited (Henry Parker #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Most Dangerous Animal of All
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99