Start by marking “The Cockatoo from Timbuktu” as Want to Read:
The Cockatoo from Timbuktu

The Cockatoo from Timbuktu

Join Kian the cockatoo on his adventures around the world!

Can a childhood song about a shining star help him find his way home?

From the Great Barrier Reef to the Great Wall of China to New York City, wonders of the world are explored delightfully in this epic journey!
Published January 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Cockatoo from Timbuktu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cockatoo from Timbuktu

Start your review of The Cockatoo from Timbuktu
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Having read this author's debut last year (Timothy Mean) I was really forward to reading a new tale. This time about a cockatoo trying to find his long lost family and home, meeting new friends and discovering new surroundings along the way. Fun and visual read, kids will love this!
Shalini
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book with beautiful illustrations and prose which were rhythmic and lyrical, so well suited for children of age 3+

Kian was the cockatoo in a zoo who wanted to go back home to his mum and dad in Timbuktu. He planned well and one day, he escaped. But he didn't know the way back home. He traveled to great many places from Antarctica to China, from Australia to London, with a detour to Egypt. Then he remembered something his mum had said...

My second book by the author William AE Ford, I adored
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to thank William A.E. Ford for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

The Cockatoo from Timbucktu by William A.E. Ford is such a cute book that kids of all ages and young at heart like myself would enjoy! The rhyming in the story made me smile as I thought it was so cute!

What really pulled William’s words together was the incredibly talented illustrator Ramile M. Imac! Wow! Some of his pictures of the journey, places and things Kiam saw were just breathtaking.
Al
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kian the cockatoo lives in a zoo, but all he wants to do is return to Timbuktu. Okay, I didn't plan for my intro to rhyme, but it was unavoidable. Back to Kian ... The little guy just wants to head back home to his parents. So what does he do? He breaks out of the zoo.

A fun and educational journey around the world with Kian the cockatoo. This was a joyous read. I wasn't expecting the book to be so informative, so it was a wonderful surprise. I loved the illustrations. I particularly loved that
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Thanks to the author for reaching out. The rating is of my own opinion!

This was such a cute kid picture book! I will definitely read this to the kids around me. You are following a cockatoo as he flies around the world looking for Timbuktu! Home is never to far away! Such a cute book!

It only has about 23 goes but so very cute. It's hard to rate kids books but this book was easy to follow and kids would love getting to travel the world and see what animals are in other countries!

I recommend
Shane Moore
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intricate, lovely art, and a lot of learning hidden in there

The story is cute and charming, and a great length. The prose is fun to read, with a lot of slant rhyme and a really fun meter that keeps it moving. I also appreciated that the book was teaching bits of geography in a really fun way and locating animals in their natural habitat. Some of the background art is striking beautiful, and all of it had enough going on to have a conversation with my little one about it.

My 4 year old son's
Divya Mahajan
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read and enjoyed the author's previous book Timothy Mean I had high hopes from this one too and was not disappointed.
The beautiful illustrations, colourful eyecatching cover page and rhyming lines give the story a touch that kids of all ages would love even 50 year old kids like me. The story of a cockatoo from a zoo yearning for his freedom and family escapes and tries to reach his real home travelling across the world and makes stopovers on the way home. The places he stops to rest are
C Exley Books (Cassandra)
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, children-books
I just read this with my five year old son and two year old daughter for their bedtime story. This is the first time I have got an ecopy of a children's book and I plan on getting a paperback copy to add to my kids bookshelf and I will also get a copy for my son's school library as they are still getting books for the library as its really small cause the school only opened February last year.

All questions answered by my son (Nicholas).

Do you like this book?
Nicholas said "Yes"

What do you think
Pamela Tomlin
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Travel the World Without Leaving Your Chair!

Children will love this beautifully illustrated rhyming story. It is delightfully engaging with many animals and places to keep a young child's attention. Parents and teachers will appreciate the educational aspects that the story includes. Join Kian, the Cockatoo, on his search for Timbuktu!
Hadar Fadida Fadida
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My grandchildren loved this tale and its sweet rhyming message. The rhymes were perfect and the illustrations beautiful. I will read this to them again and again.
Cassandra
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy.

A very colorful, charming book filled with a fun adventure that includes a great look at some of the best countries around the world.

Cindy Shirley
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable picture book for kids

This sweet story is so fun to read. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. Readers will love helping this brave little Cockatoo finds his way back to his family in Timbuktu.
Ally
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Join Kian the Cockatoo on his adventures around the world! Can a childhood song about a shining star help him find his way home? From the Great Barrier Reef to the Great Wall of china to New York City, wonders of the world are explored delightfully in this epic journey.

This is the second book I have read by William A.E Ford and again he does not disappoint. I found this book to be vibrant, educational and a lot of fun to read, and I know my four year old niece will absolutely love this book.

The
Tracy Shephard
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful children's picture book telling the story of Kian the Cockatoo and his quest to get home to his mum and dad.

Told in rhyme, Kian travels to many places and meets animals such as penguins, kangaroos and monkeys.

Included in this book is a map, this charts Kians route and 'x' marks the spot of his home in Timbuktu.

There is also a page of Fun Facts about Cockatoos, which takes this book from just a story, and makes it a brilliant educational read.

I have to mention the stunning
Ritu Bhathal
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Book!

What a beautifully illustrated story of going home!
I was captivated by the tale of Kian the Cockatoo who escaped from the zoo to find his way home to Timbucktoo.
He visits many lands on his quest, then finally remembers the advice his mother gave him about finding the way home.
Will it help him?
Well, you'll have to read on to find out, and I can guarantee a colourful, fact filled journey along the way!
Richard Linville
A Beautifully Illustrated, Rhyming Story

You'll love the adventure of the Cockatoo from Timbuktu. The Cockatoo travels to many different places. A world map to show his journey. Highly recommended.
Barbara Band
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely rhyming story about a young cockatoo who decides to escape from the zoo and head home to his mum and dad in Timbuktu. He travels around the world visiting various locations before he finds them. A great introduction to various habitats and countries for young children. Delightfully detailed illustrations and lots of opportunities for children to join in to encourage language development.
Amanda Williams
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story and cute charming illustrations that compliment this book perfectly. An absolute must to any child's library. Breathtaking work.
Alex
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely, heartwarming story with such gorgeous illustrations. This is a beautiful book, visually and story-wise.
Lel Budge
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kian is a little Cockatoo, he’s in a Zoo but he wants to go home to his parents. So he escapes and this is the story of his journey.

Told in rhyme, we travel with Kian across oceans, mountains, cities and jungles meeting many different countries and animals….but can he find his way home? Then he remembers, follow the star!..... and he finally gets home….

This is such a charming book and so beautifully illustrated, with Kian and his little ladybird companion there is so much to enjoy. A little
Monica Rubombora
Lovely story about a little bird

I liked the storyline which is about a little pretty bird in a zoo. People enjoy coming through and watching it sing. However, the little bird is sad as it misses home, a place called “Timbuktu”. It is beautifully illustrated and easy to follow.

The book is good for young readers.
Divya Mohan
Loved it instantly

It is a great way to introduce to kids the name of several countries along with their culture and animals that live there. Beautiful and bright illustrations. The rhyming words make it even more fun to enjoy with little ones.
Suzan Johnson
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A world traveler!

This little bird travels the world and the colorful illustrations show many famous locations. Luckily the love of his mother helps to bring him home. A great book for families.
Adele
Shelves: 2020
This is a delightful, educational picture book that would appeal to all. The story has a lovely rhyming prose that children would enjoy and soon start repeating. I loved the ethos of the whole story with Kian the little cockatoo who lived in a zoo wanting to go back home to his parents in Timbuktu, so he escapes. During his journey home he visits many countries far and wide discovering animals and new places.

The illustrations are cheerful, bright and each page has so much to see and learn about.
Jo Shaw
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book I've read by William A.E. Ford, and I loved it even more than 'Timothy Mean'.

The story, in rhyming prose, tells of the story of Kian the Cockatoo who escapes from the zoo and goes on a series of adventures in order to find his way back home to Timbuktu.

The illustrations by Ramile M Imac are a beautiful accompaniment to the story, showing the various cities and countries Kian finds himself, with such vibrancy that I am sure a child aged 3+ could not help to be transfixed.
Roy-James
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Kian the cockatoo (by the way I now know the difference between a cockatoo and a cockatiel) lives far away from his native Timbuktu. Memories of his home, mum, and dad make his life in the zoo unpleasant, so he plots a plan to escape! The rest of the book follows his route back home and the countries he, and his ladybird companion, visit on the way.

There’s a lot to enjoy here. For one the nicely crafted text bounces with pleasing rhymes and the refrain on every other page will get children
Tris The Book Whisperer
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a lovely introduction to travel around the world, as a young Cockatoo escapes from a zoo and embarks on an epic journey to find his parents. Along the way he passes through many different countries and the reader is given clues to try and guess which city and country they are in. The illustrations are colourful and eye catching and the rhyming story will appeal to young readers. A lovely book for our school library!
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Love the little facts at the end. Have to say, the illustrations for the animals are some of the best I’ve seen in a children’s book.
michaela
Feb 22, 2020
Nikki
Jan 28, 2020

• Punk the Skunk Learns to Say Sorry (Punk and Friends Book 1)
  • Unicorn Jazz Eye See You: Choosing Kindness
  • Dear Edward
  • Nothing Ever Happens Here
  • Adèle
  • Sophia Freeman and the Mysterious Fountain (Book 1)
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • I Am a Tiger
  • Red Tide
  • For Those Who Dare
  • Different, Not Damaged
William has always had a passion for books, writing and story-telling. William’s favourite way to end a cosy evening is to spend time dreaming up and reading bed-time stories to his five wonderful children.

‘Timothy Mean and the Time Machine’ and 'The Cockatoo from Timbuktu' were inspired by the spark of his children’s colourful imaginations as they tirelessly created unique, laughter filled days