Start by marking “Handbook for the Soul” as Want to Read:
Handbook for the Soul

Handbook for the Soul

America's most celebrated spiritual writers offer inspiring words on the state of the soul today. This collection of more than thirty original essays addresses both the importance of caring for and nourishing the soul and the ways in which these individuals tend to their own souls on a day-to-day basis.
Published October 1st 1996 by Back Bay Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Handbook for the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook for the Soul

Kaye
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiration
This was an interesting collection. Some of the contributors had unique understandings of what the soul truly is. There were many good suggestions for "nourishing the soul" such as: meditation, music, appreciation of nature, scriptures, service, etc. One quote I liked was, "You may be good, but what are you good for? You've got to be good for something. You've got to be about some project, some task that requires you to be humble and obedient to the universal principles of service."
John Kaufmann
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Mediocre. Some gems, but not enough to qualify as a particularly good book.
Jeff
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I read it years ago...and am in the process of moving/downsizing and clearing out some of my bookshelves. Came across it and looked through it to make decision keep/or no keep. It's a keeper.
I took it with me to read on plane to Italy...with intent of turning it in for credit at the local used book store in Florence. Read it on the plane and have decided to keep it.

There are all the same contributing 32 authors, with all the same pieces...but on this second reading, given years between, whole
Reading_is_decent
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to everyone I know- such a pleasure to read. Inspiring and wise, you can start reading anywhere throughout the book and love it! :)
Pat
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Handbook For The Soul" is a collection of spiritual essays that might help with emotional problems, depression, or maybe a wretched, unhappy life.
It's not necessarily a 'religious' book, but does stress the importance of nourishing our soul, which is how we live our lives every day. Love is the key ingredient.
It was an enlightening, uplifting book.
Miss Adventures In The Dating World™
only just started this book and on page 5 I already know this is going to be good. I identify with the words and idea of these pages...I am hooked in. I can't wait to finish it but don't want it to end, and it doesn't have to.
Marika
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
There are some very interesting stories included in this book. Also includes some great insights and ways to incorporate personal character goals into your life.
Loverlypurple
Sep 28, 2009
Jennie
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Carlson, Ph.D, was born and raised in the Bay Area. He grew up in Piedmont and received his bachelor's degree from Pepperdine University and his doctorate in psychology from Sierra University before opening a private psychotherapy practice.

During his life, he was considered one of the foremost experts in happiness and stress reduction in the United States and around the world and was a fre
“Find your true path. It’s so easy to become someone we don’t want to be, without even realizing it’s happening. We are created by the choices we make every day. And if we take action in order to please some authority figure, we’ll suddenly wake up down the road and say, “This isn’t me. I never wanted to be this person.” 19 likes