Start by marking “Woven in Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Woven in Moonlight

Woven in Moonlight

(Woven in Moonlight #1)

A lush tapestry of magic, romance, and revolución, drawing inspiration from Bolivian politics and history.

Ximena is the decoy Condesa, a stand-in for the last remaining Illustrian royal. Her people lost everything when the usurper, Atoc, used an ancient relic to summon ghosts and drive the Illustrians from La Ciudad. Now Ximenas motivated by her insatiable thirst for
Hardcover, Book of the Month (BOTM), 365 pages
Published January 2020 by Page Street Publishing Co.

To ask other readers questions about Woven in Moonlight, please sign up.
Isabel Ibañez Hey there!

Its a stand alone, but there may be a companion novel set in the same world and starring a side character coming! Stay tuned! :)…more
Hey there!

It’s a stand alone, but there may be a companion novel set in the same world and starring a side character coming! Stay tuned! :) (less)

Start your review of Woven in Moonlight
jessica
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
came for the gorgeous cover but stayed for the latin american representation, lush magic, a swoon-worthy rebel, fluid writing, THE MAGIC SLOTH, and the slow simmer into an explosion of an ending.

while there really is a lot to love about this, my main complaint would some aspects of the world-building are lacking. im not sure if it was mentioned and i just missed it, but i cant remember reading about why there is magic and why people have different kinds of it. its not really explained - the
Isabel Ibañez
Sep 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi everyone!

I don't spend a lot of time on Goodreads but as WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT heads out into the world, I wanted to quickly mention a few things!

First, WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT is a standalone, but the Inkasisa world is expansive so I imagine there might be a few stories I can still hope to write! The next book set in this world is WRITTEN IN STARLIGHT, and while the story takes place directly after the events of WIM, it can be read on it's ownthough you might enjoy it more if you read them in
✨ A ✨
I don't care how shallow this makes me but I need this book in my life just for that beautiful cover ☺
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I picked up WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT on a whim because it was offered to me as an ARC and I thought the cover was really pretty. I was a little leery, though; the cover looked cutesy and cutesy fantasy rarely sits well with me. But this is one of those instances where the cover doesn't really match the book. WOVEN IN MIDNIGHT looks like it's going to be a sweet and sleepy middle grade fantasy story about some brave and plucky girl.

Instead...
C.G. Drews
This is the kind of fantasy that really enchants you with fake queens, roguish vigilantes, and the absolute cutest magic sloths. It's true!! There is a sloth made of magic here and for that reason alone you'll want to read this!

I went in not knowing much about it, so here is my quick highlight reel of what you're in for:
📖#ownvoices Bolivian-inspired fantasy
📖 so much rich culture, so much love for details
📖the absolute most delicious food descriptions you will up and try to gnaw your book pages
Amy Imogene Reads
4 stars

Ximena can weave moonlight into lush tapestries of wool, and sometimes they come to life. When her people need her to infiltrate the enemy's kingdom to take down the false king, Ximena doesn't hesitateshe's ready to fight. But what happens when the cause you've been fighting for becomes more gray than black and white?

World: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★
Dialogue: ★★
Pacing: ★★★

Ximena's job is to be the decoy Condesa, who is the true heir to the Illustrian throne. The Illustrians were recently
Olive
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my review on booktube: https://youtu.be/LDi_8XieLg4

And the below review originally appeared on Open Letters Review.

Inspired by Bolivian culture and history, Isabel Ibañez spins a glittering and richly drawn story in her young adult fantasy debut, Woven in Moonlight. A tale of revolution, loyalty, and identity, it begins with a shaky show of leadership by heroine Ximena Rojas, giving her questions about her ability to rule over her people, the displaced Illustrians.

Her self-doubt has roots.
sarah xoxo
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019, arcs
Woven in Moonlight was an impressive debut from Isabel Ibañez.
The fantasy setting, based off Bolivia was refreshing and unique. The atmosphere was enthralling and immersive. Descriptions of the food, clothing and palace made the world tangible.

Woven in Moonlight covers the aftermath of war and the intricacies of morality when nothing is black and white.
There were clear parallels between political and cultural aspects of past and present Bolivia, and the Spanish Inquisitor overthrow of the
Elena
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
BOLIVIAN POLITICS!!!!!!!!

my latina ass wants this so bad especially because of bolivia's current political situation
Zoraida
Review for Tor.com coming soon...
TL;DR - I loved it. Genuinely. Clever take on Latin American/Andean history and politics. Sweet romance. Promising debut author.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Ten years ago, the Llacsans overthrew the Illustrians and took over La Ciudad with an ancient relic filled with powerful magic. Now, as the food stores for the last remaining Illustrians runs dry and their general is missing, the Llacsan king sends a bleak message: the Condesa must marry him, or all Illustrians will die.

It seems bleak, but there is one trick left up their sleeve: Ximena, the decoy Condesa. She will infiltrate La Ciudad, find the relic, and return her people to glory.

This was a
Alice Lippart
Great setting and loved all the history and lore.
jade
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves YA and finds the combination of woolly animals and bloody revolutions intriguing
Recommended to jade by: Damaris Huerta
but our way of life, our culture, is gone, like pages torn from a book.

this is a little gem of a debut thats light on the fantasy, and heavy on its inspirations from bolivian culture, customs, and history. its central themes also make themselves known pretty early on: colonization, corruption, and revolution.

ximena rojas, decoy to catalina, the true condesa and her best friend, has suffered being under siege for long enough. her people are without food and shes got a surplus of anger stored
Adrienne Young
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isabel Ibanez brings a modern story to an ancient world in her debut novel, WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT. With immersive prose, original magic, and characters as rich as the Bolivian culture that constructs the story, Ibanez delivers a wholly unique book for the YA shelf.
Adalyn Grace
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent!! Im someone who pretty much guesses the twists and turns and who-dun-its of most books or movies I consume. However, trying to figure out who the masked vigilante was kept me guessing, and I devoured this book wanting to see what would happen next! The culture that the author pulls you into is so rich and immersive, I really felt that I was transported into this world. And can we talk about the food? Omg I was so hungry reading this book because of all the amazing food ...more
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
I'm a simple girl. I read "Moonlight" & "Masked Vigilante" and add it to TBR;)
Ararita (Okretačica stranica)
I'm in shock. So many great reviews and so many stars for this? I feel like I've read a different book O.o
The characterisation is flat, except Ximena's and Rumi's. There is one "mistical" character, El Lobo, but if you read more than 10 books in your life, you know who he is almost immediately.
The blurb (and the reviews) promised a book filled with magic, but that part is so poorly explained and presented. The plot would not change much if that part was ommited.
The romantic part was also so
Sophie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020-books
It took me a while to get absorbed in the story as it came off as very simply written, but I grew to enjoy the world and the magic, though I would have liked to see it more developed. This is one of those stories where it is easy to guess what is going to happen, but still enjoy the ride.

I liked the difference in the two cultures displayed (and how the constant conflicts hurt each other and the constant back and forth in power) and the two cultures learning about each other through Ximena and
☽ TheBibliotheque
If you think the cover is stunning, wait until you open up this gorgeous book and see what awaits you.

Isabel Ibañez has managed to create not only a lustrous world bathed in moonlight, vibrant scents and dazzling colours but also, she has knocked my socks off with one of the most *beautiful* magic systems I have ever come across. All that woven in the rich Bolivian culture of her very own roots.

Man, was I blown away. I am telling you, you don't want to miss out on this.

But don't be tricked by
Fanna
January 19, 2020:

Woven in Moonlight weaves clashing cultures and strong women with a loom placed on societal consequences of war, stepping into enemy grounds, fighting for yourself and your people, and learning, understanding, loving what you once thought you never could. A definitive recommendation for those who love a diverse background and POC in a mixture of politics, history, and magic. Animals literally woven in moonlight, a mysterious vigilante, a handsome healer, and the incorporation of
Rebecca Ross
A spellbinding, vivid debut. Plot twists abound, the magic is uniquely drawn, and intrigue illuminates the pages. The world of Inkasisa is so beautifully rendered I never wanted to leave it.
~Annabelle~ ♥♠
I never go into a debut expecting much so i was kind of shocked with how good this story was.

This is a revolution fantasy. The story is set in Bolivia.

a) There's a Usurper King: King Atoc.

b) Queen in exile: Queen Catalina.

c) Queen Catalina's badass decoy: Ximena.

d) King Atoc's highly devoted cousin: Rumi.

e) There's a vigilante.

I know what you are expecting but no, Ximena is actually the protagonist of the story as well as Rumi. HaHa.

MY OPINION

I must say this is my first encounter with Bolivia
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
CW: revolution, gore/violence, death, abuse, culture erasure, and discrimination against groups

What a lush, imaginative story. I was completely captivated by Ximena's story. She's Illustrian and the Illustrians have been kicked off of the throne by the Llacsans. Atoc is ruling and he's a cruel ruler, discriminating against the Illustrians left in the city. Ximena is a part of the Illustrians trying to get back onto the throne as she's the body double for Catalina, the Condesa and heir to the
Jessica | Booked J
Blog | Twitter | Instagram |You can find my stop on the blog tour here.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the authors in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

What a stunning, enchanting story. What a way to kick off a new decade. Get ready for an instant classic and one the strongest debuts I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I mean that genuinely: EVER. And I've been reviewing YA books for over a decade. This novel has now taken its
Cande
I finished this book like a week ago and Ive been dreading writing this post. Even dreading to read the book, it took me one month to finish it. Looking at my notes I see my slow progression from excitement to annoyance to frustration to disappointment. I really want to like this book, it sounds like my perfect fantasy: Latinx inspired, revolution, magic, and an unapologetic heroine. But oh friends, this was a disappointment on so many fronts.

Read my full review on my blog, Latinx Magic.
Sheila Goicea
I'm excited to be a part of the WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT blog tour with The Fantastic Flying Book Club, from January 20 - 26th, 2020!

I received a copy of this book via the publisher, Page Street Kids in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

Content Warning: Forced/Arranged Marriage, Oppression, War, Violence, On page death, Executions
Rising tides cant be held
Aaryn Flott
A riveting and colorful tale inspired by Bolivian culture and Spanish colonialism. I loved everything about this book, from the characters to the world building, and everything in between.

The tale follows Ximena, a girl posing as the decoy Condesa, Catalina, the rightful heir of the Illustrian throne, and best friend. When a messenger sends word from the usurper king, Atoc, demeaning the Condesas hand in marriage, its Ximenas duty to go in her stead.

Driven by her revenge and her motivation to
menna
damn, I had so much fun..
Alexa
Ximena is the decoy Condesa, who stands in for the last remaining Illustrian royal. When the usurper king Atoc demands the Condesas hand in marriage, Ximena goes in her stead, determined to use the opportunity to find the ancient relic that Atoc used to summon a ghost army and take the throne years before. But as Ximena gets to know the enemy and starts seeing them as actual individuals, she finds herself questioning what course of action is best for her kingdom and whether that means betraying ...more
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars ★★★★
Woven In Moonlight is a 2020 YA Political Fantasy debut that NEEDS to be on your 2020 TBR!

Woven In Moonlight ARC Review 🌙✨

I'd been looking forward to this debut for a couple years at this point & being a Latinx YA Fantasy, I was even more hyped to read this book! Now that I've finally finished it, I wish I could go back and re-read it all over again!

Woven In Moonlight is an introspective YA Fantasy following Ximena, a stand-in for her people's true heir! Through an

• In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Songs from the Deep
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Lupe Wong Won't Dance
  • Where Are You From?
  • All the Bad Apples
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Downstairs Girl
Isabel Ibañez was born in Boca Raton, Florida, and is the proud daughter of two Bolivian
immigrants. A true word nerd, she received her degree in creative writing and has been a
Pitch Wars mentor for three years. Isabel is an avid movie goer and loves hosting family and
friends around the dinner table. She currently lives in Winter Park, Florida, with her
husband, their adorable dog, and a serious

Woven in Moonlight (2 books)
  • Written in Starlight

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of y...
“Catalina says that people are like books. Some you want to read and enjoy; some you hate before you've even read a word.” 8 likes
“Everything always seems sweeter in the minutes before darkness descends.” 4 likes