Start by marking “A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)

A Deadly Education

(The Scholomance #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  6,820 ratings  ·  1,894 reviews
Lesson One of the Scholomance: Learning has never been this deadly.

A Deadly Education is set at Scholomance, a school for the magically gifted where failure means certain death (for real) — until one girl, El, begins to unlock its many secrets.

There are no teachers, no holidays, and no friendships, save strategic ones. Survival is more important than any letter grade, for
Published September 29th 2020 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Education, please sign up.
Mia The summary may seem confusing, but I just finished reading the ARC for this and it wasn't confusing at all to read! It is def an interesting twist on…moreThe summary may seem confusing, but I just finished reading the ARC for this and it wasn't confusing at all to read! It is def an interesting twist on the traditional "hero goes to magic school" concept, and I thought it was a highly enjoyable read. I already am looking forward to rereading this book once it is published and then reading book 2 once it is released. (less)
Lindsay I myself did not find the book racist. There are two passages that have been circulating that could have been written better and may be perceived as r…moreI myself did not find the book racist. There are two passages that have been circulating that could have been written better and may be perceived as racially insensitive, but I do not think it was the intent of the author. Moreover, I do not think this book is even about race. The themes present are more reflective of classism and the dangers of social inequality. (for more specific info you can read my review of the book)(less)

·  6,820 ratings  ·  1,894 reviews

Start your review of A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
Mary S. R.
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comedy horror young adult fantasy fans
⇓ Edited to Add: On the Controversy ⇓

Since its release, this book has been accused of racism. I respect those who have been hurt and am sorry for their pain, but I want to say that—as a Middle Eastern who has also strived to be as aware of racism as possible—I personally did not find this book racist. Most of the accusations I’ve read have seemed insubstantial to me—if you view words out of context with the aim of finding something offensive, of course you will succeed.

The school giving El c
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Magical school? Instantly added to my never ending TBR!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hogwarts meets Deadly Class’ world building with sassy, smart, humorous vibes, completely badass, snarky, grumpy, sarcastic queen as a heroine and a clueless hero walking between the lines of being irritating and hysterical.

I was waiting more bloodshed, bleak, horrifying, gory premise but instead of that I got dark comedy with creative ideas, deliciously absurd twists, extremely entertaining, addictive story with a sassiest and smartest ( of course she is half Indian, half Welsh) heroine called
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

description

This is actually a 3.5-star rating, rounded up to 4, because Goodreads likes to be difficult. :P

When I heard the pitch of “a twisted, super dark, super modern, female-led Harry Potter”, I audibly squealed in joy and thought that THIS would be my most anticipated and best read of the year. After all, this is the same author who wrote two of my favourite books, Uprooted and Spinning Silver…but that’s not what ha
Melanie
Please check out Asma's review

[rest] (view spoiler)

Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Blog | Spotify | Twitch
Nataliya
“We’re not meant to all survive, anyway. The school has to be fed somehow.”
Scholomance is an isolated magical boarding school in the Void that you enter at fourteen and - maybe, possibly, if you are *very* lucky - get to leave four years later. But before you sign up, keep in mind: “Most of the time less than a quarter of the class makes it all the way through graduation.” There are no teachers but the students still study hard - it’s the only thing to do when your choices are learn eno
Miranda Reads
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owlcrate, audible
description

Couldn't resist doing a Video Review for this dangerously good book!!
sarah xoxo
dark academia + magic + monsters = a deadly education

Naomi Novik takes the overdone concept of a magic school and refreshes it with darkness, a diverse cast and unique world building. If you are looking for a book to serve all the Slytherin vibes- complete with an unlikeable mc and twisting political alliances- look no further.

The school in a deadly education is truly what the title suggests- deadly. When there are monsters lurking around every corner, you need to be 10 steps ahead at all time
Hamad
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hamad by: Farez, A and Helena
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I just went through some reviews before starting this reviews and I am seeing a lot of “I am a big Naomi Novik fan but this was not for me/ DNFed/ not as good as her other books”. Personally, I preferred this over Uprooted and Spinning Silver but I still am giving it 2.5 stars. The book has been the center of a recent drama while I was reading it this week and I will touch upon that in this review a bit.

My biggest problem with No
NReads
Feb 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
Sabrina Spellman?
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
This sounds like a cross between The Scholomance and Vita Nostra

Close up shot of me crying bc I still don't have a copy. NO JOKE, I HAVE NEVER WANTED A BOOK AS BADLY AS I WANT THIS.

My lazy ass even wrote into the publisher to beg for a copy and got a form letter rejection RIP hopes ;~;

Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

OH MY GOD this book is bloody GENIUS.

I've never been one of Novik's more rabid fans. I thought Uprooted was okay, and I actively dislike Spinning Silver. But this book blows them both of out of the water. It's smart, wicked, dark, and thrilling.

Sixteen-year-old Galadriel 'El' Higgins is a sorceress. Like other magic wielders, at the age of fourteen she was bussed into the Scholomance, a magical school without any teachers or a
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
I'm sold! After Uprooted and especially Spinning Silver, I'll read pretty much anything by Naomi Novik.
Nicole
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, ya
Yesterday, I started writing this book's review:
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I have read Uprooted and loved it (back when it was still cool to like this book), I found Spinning Silver okay and dnf the first Temeraire book, in fact, it was my only dnf this year (I was so bored but I loved the dragon). So I thought maybe my taste changed across the years and Naomi’s books aren’t for me anymore. Glad I was wrong.
*throws it in the bin*

I originally gave this book 4 stars. I did not writ
Kate (GirlReading)
Well, one of my most highly anticipated 2020 releases is officially now my most disappointing read of the year so far *cue sad violin music*

This book had so much potential and yet it missed every mark for me.

The story itself could have been something really great but, for me, it was let down in all aspects by the writing and execution. The characters all fell flat and despite a large cast, the MC was the only character with any defining characteristics. The relationships were subpar and pretty
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars

GAHHHH THIS WAS EVERYTHING I WAS HOPING FOR & MORE !!!!
*screams excitedly, albiet a little annoyingly fangirl-y (#sorrynotsorry 🤷🏼‍♀️)*

I just wish it had been longerrrrrr! There are so many books where i’m like GAAAHHHHH they should’ve stopped at 300! But NOT this one! I could’ve read forever about the Scholomance! But what is around only 300 pgs? THIS EFFING BOOK. -___- lol.

My GODDDDD THIS WAS PHENOMENALLLLL AND I’M SO HAPPY! RTC

___________________

I AM POSITIVELY SURE I
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Read if you want:
➡️ an entertaining magical high school experience

➡️ with a dystopian feel (as the students have to fight for their survival Hunger Games-style),
➡️ set in mean Hogwarts
➡️ with Shadowhunter-esque demons (mals)
➡️ featuring a pretty amazing, sarcastic heroine (no-one-likes-me-because-I-give-off-evil-vibes-hence-I-try-to-alienate-everyone-even-further Galadriel aka El)
➡️ and her beautifully developed friendship with the proverbial hero (I-just want-to-kill-mals-I don’t-want-your
Sofia
Sep 30, 2020 marked it as unread-books-i-already-own
MY COPY JUST ARRIVED IN THE MAIL!!
...is this heaven???
Hollis
A DEADLY EDUCATION is like a dark mashup of Harry Potter — if the only class was Defense Against the Dark Arts — complete with the magical puberty problems and monster-attraction issues ala Percy Jackson, but if instead of Buffy we had Faith saving the world all the time.. though hella reluctantly. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This book is nothing like what I expected a book by Novik would be. This, for all the darkness and the fact that it's set inside a castle that seems to be active
Phuong ✯
3 stars

We all have to gamble with our lives in here, we don't get a choice about that; the trick is figuring out when it's worth taking a bet.

I was SO excited to start this book, cause the premise of a magic school trying to kill its student? Sounds like a good time, not for the students at Scholomance, but at least for me.

While I loved the dark academia theme of this book, what I couldn't deal with was the ENDLESS MONOLOUGE and INFO DUMPING. This is my first book by Naomi Novik, so I
Monte Price
Aug 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
After what feels like an eternity and having completed this book I truly just feel let down? Maybe my expectations were too high when I'm not really sold on the idea of "dark academia" as anything other than an excuse to be overtly racist and more pretentious than the average reader probably cares for, and my track record with fantasy is spotty and yet I attempted to give this book a fair shake.

I don't want to say that this is a bad book so much as it's a boring book that did several things that
Mara YA Mood Reader
Waaaah $25?!! Whhhhhyyyy???!

Hoping this is like all those Slytherin fanfics I died for over the years!! 🐍
7/4/2020
Jenny Lawson
One of my very favorite books of the whole year.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly as perfect as you want it to be after devouring Spinning Silver and Uprooted. The worldbuilding is IMPECCABLE, coming on like a freight train and never stopping yet so crisply, vividly done you never get lost. I read it in the early days of quarantine when my brain was alphabet soup and anxiety and it was the only thing that got its hooks into my head. I'm not sure how many more ways I can say, "YOU NEED THIS YOU NEED THIS EVERYONE NEEDS THIS."
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.

Set in a school that is quite literally a death trap, this book proved to be a super interesting concept where teenagers deal with not just your standard levels of social hierarchy, but the most intense kind, with monsters and magic thrown in the mix. Of course, our main character seems to be a siphon for destruction, and mere survival is a challenge of restraint for her. Add in the difficulties of friendships and schoolwork, a
Robin (Bridge Four)
Galadriel (El for short) is just trying to survive the magical school, full of monsters by the way, that want to kill her. This really is a trial by fire situation and if she could just find an opportunity to show off her power to the other kids, she might be able to make a few alliances to help her stay alive and get out at graduation next year. But golden boy Orion Blake keeps screwing that up by saving her life first.

El knew she’d be on her own when she came to the school. There are the outca
Sara
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as tbr-december  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, adult, fantasy
This is everything I never realised I need in 2020.
Delirious Disquisitions
I went in expecting grimdark or something just really serious and scary. But instead I got a snarky heroine and sunshine OTP! I just honestly had such a fun time reading this!
RTC
aarya
2020 Fall Bingo (#fallintorombingo🍁): ‪Somewhere You've Never Been

B review: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/r...

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
  • This World is Full of Monsters
  • Dig.
  • Split Tooth
  • Desperate Measures (Wicked Villains, #1)
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more

The Scholomance (2 books)
  • The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“I decided that Orion needed to die after the second time he saved my life.” 6 likes
“Some sorcerers get an affinity for weather magic, or transformation spells, or fantastic combat magics like dear Orion. I got an affinity for mass destruction.” 6 likes