Jump to ratings and reviews

Green Valley Library #5

Everett Monroe can’t keep his eyes off his gorgeous tenant.

He’d like to put his hands on her too, but she’s prickly, closed-off, and gives new meaning to the word disgruntled. In other words, she’s his perfect match and he’ll do anything to make her see it too.

Willa Hill has finally left her teen runaway past behind and wants a fresh start—alone. Men are nothing but trouble and she’s had enough man-trouble to last a lifetime. Too bad her irresistibly sexy, nerdy-hot landlord doesn’t agree.

When their mutual yearning becomes a white-hot fling and passion crosses carefully drawn, albeit one-sided boundaries, Everett finds himself in love and Willa finds herself in a pickle.

Because, unfortunately, when she returned to Green Valley, her problems came too. When the past she escaped crashes into the future she finds herself wanting more than anything, will Willa stay in Green Valley?

Or will she run away again?

Carpentry and Cocktails is book #5 in the Green Valley Library series. It is a full-length contemporary romance novel, and can be read as a standalone.

248 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 28, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Nora Everly

22 books986 followers
Sign up for my newsletter: https://www.noraeverly.com/newsletter-1

Nora Everly is a lifelong bookworm. She started reading the good stuff once she was tall enough to sneak the romance novels off the top of her mother’s bookshelf and it has been non-stop ever since.
Once upon a time she was a substitute teacher and an educational assistant. Now, she’s a writer and stay at home mom to two small humans and one fat cat.
Nora lives in the Pacific Northwest with her family and her overactive imagination.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authornoraev...
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nora.everly/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/NoraEverly

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
78 (4%)
1 star
19 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 242 reviews
Profile Image for lazybookconqueror.
408 reviews88 followers
May 13, 2020
Ok, this is the weirdest thing because I wrote a review for this and it disappeared? Very mysterious... but anyways. I'll quickly summarize my thoughts.

This is the story of Willa and Everett, we saw a little bit of them in Crime and Periodicals and now we get to see them falling in love.

Willa is currently living as a tenant in Everett's lot, and although there's a ton of chemistry between them, she is so afraid of her past catching up with her that she doesn't want to open up to love and new opportunities.

But fear not, because Everett is a resilient one that will do everything to make Willa feel safe and cherished while finding the strength to stand up for herself.

The premise is great, but I did find the characters to be a bit one dimensional. I also wanted more build-up to Willa and Everet's romance, because it can feel a bit too insta-lovey.

However, this was a delightful read and I really enjoyed that Everet was also a DM for Dungeons and Dragons and was opening a game shop in Green Valley. If I already wanted to move to the fictional town before, this absolutely makes it official.

Carpentry and Cocktails is out now on all platforms and also available on Kindle Unlimited!
Amazon AU: https://amzn.to/2NLs363

This was ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for DJ Sakata.
3,006 reviews1,736 followers
May 17, 2020
Favorite Quotes:

“Okay, boys, this is where I take my leave. I have no interest in unloading, building, assembling, or anything other than a nice hot cup of tea and the Downton Abbey marathon tonight on the television. Kiss your mother goodbye.” I exchanged a look with Garrett. We knew she would really watch The Real Housewives of somewhere and fix herself a huge martini, but we were both too smart to mention it.

I braced because every southern girl knows when a middle name gets dropped, shit’s about to become serious.

“Sometimes the best part of building something new is tearing down what stood in its place.” I held out the sledgehammer as an offering.

Oh my god, Willa! Sharing a Netflix password is the new pre-engagement, everyone knows that.

If a man’s any kind of man at all he knows the difference between love and lust. Lust is in a hurry, but love is already there.

My heart was a wild thing in my chest and my eyes grew hot with emotion.

“We took vows in front of God, Willa. You will always be my wife.” … “We were in Las Vegas, Tommy. God had nothing to do with it. We took our vows in front of Elvis, and he’d probably agree with me that you’re an asshole,”

My Review:

This was my second exposure to the clever wordcraft of Nora Everly and I as was well entertained and pleasantly immersed in her amusing storytelling during both, I have become a devoted fangirl. Her beguiling and witty writing was well-paced, engaging, easy to follow, and conjured crisp visuals in my gray matter while her irreverent humor kept a smirk close at hand. The well-drawn characters were endearing and accessible while realistically flawed. I adored this couple and was totally smitten with Everett as he is the perfect man: handsome, sexy, sweet, protective, thoughtful, and every inch of him well assembled. Everett had tools and knew what to do with them - in every room of the house. But he only had eyes for Willa and called her sweetness and frequently told her she was beautiful and could have or do anything she wanted – oh swoon! Of course, all that perfection could only be found on my Kindle.

Profile Image for Penny Reid.
Author 107 books20.3k followers
Want to read
April 28, 2020

GAHHH! Carpentry and Cocktails by Nora Everly is ALIVE! Prepare thyselves to return to Green Valley. Carpentry and Cocktails will enter Kindle Unlimited on May 4th! If you don't read on Amazon, make sure you grab it before next Monday <3

** LINKS **
AppleBooks: https://apple.co/3alEHlM
Nook: http://bit.ly/2NIUotR
Kobo: http://bit.ly/2tBeb7x
Google Play: http://bit.ly/2RoJ3Qy
Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/30Cci6I

Coming to Kindle Unlimited on May 4th!

** BLURB **
Everett Monroe can’t keep his eyes off his gorgeous tenant.

Too bad her irresistibly sexy, nerdy-hot landlord doesn’t agree.

Everett finds himself in love and Willa finds herself in a pickle.

Or will she run away again?

‘Carpentry and Cocktails’ is a full-length contemporary romance, can be read as a standalone, and is book #5 in the Green Valley Library series, Green Valley World, Penny Reid Book Universe.
Profile Image for Kat.
Author 8 books306 followers
February 1, 2021
Willa and Everett’s book! Willa made some mistakes at seventeen and her mother has never let her forget them. Now she’s back in Green Valley, on the run from her dangerous ex, and living with Everett, her dreamy landlord who dreams of opening a gamer shop. These two had a great slow-burn romance. Loved all the cameos with other Green Valley characters 😊

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Profile Image for Smartypants Romance.
53 reviews917 followers
Want to read
May 5, 2020

Carpentry and Cocktails is available in Kindle Unlimited!

** LINKS **
Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/30Cci6I

** BLURB **
Everett Monroe can’t keep his eyes off his gorgeous tenant.

Too bad her irresistibly sexy, nerdy-hot landlord doesn’t agree.

Everett finds himself in love and Willa finds herself in a pickle.

Or will she run away again?

Profile Image for Anna lost in stories *A*.
1,021 reviews166 followers
July 7, 2020
I was going back and forth on how exactly I want to rate this one… and after some consideration, I decided on 4 stars… the story between Willa and Everett is more like a 3,5 stars one, but all the amazing secondary characters we had in this book made me bump my rating to full 4 stars :) Everett was just the cutest and most adorable guy ever… *sighs* so supportive and just… nice :) Willa on the other hand, was a total mess… and I really understand why she was the way she was, with her past, first with her mother and then her ex husband… so no wonder she really needed to get her shit together… but still, something didn’t really quite worked for me with her, but I can’t put my finger on exactly what it was… just a gut feeling, I guess… the romance between them felt a little bit… I wanna say choppy and underdeveloped… mainly because we start the book at the time when they were already roommates of sort for a few months and had a lot of friendly interactions, so we meet Everett when he’s already basically in love with her… and based on how Willa was behaving, I just couldn’t really understand it… then they sort of get together, but then Willa realizes she needs to work on herself first (and that’s totally understandable) so the relationship between them goes a little bit on the ice for some time… and then we skip forward some time again and it just felt… a bit chaotic, like the pacing could have been planned better… not gonna lie, Willa’s sisters were the best and I am seriously hoping they will get their own stories in the future… I might have an inkling who might be the main characters in the next story in this series of connected companion-ish books… we shall see soon enough if I was right :) Nora Everly still is an author whose writing style I absolutely adore and I will keep picking up her stories in the future :)

XOXO

A
Profile Image for Caitlin Reads.
178 reviews51 followers
May 26, 2020
This book was a really sweet romance! We got a glimpse of the chemistry between Everett and Willa in Crime and Periodicals so I was really looking forward to reading their story. Willa is in the process of getting divorced and leaving behind her abusive ex husband while mending her internal and external scars. Everett is the super sexy and geeky brother of Wyatt who is letting her stay at his house while harboring romantic feelings for her. Everything about this novel felt real and I loved reading the build up of their friendship and relationship. They had incredible chemistry and you couldn’t help but root for their happy ending. Nora Everly is a really talented writer and I can’t wait to read Garret and Barret’s novels!
Profile Image for M.E. Carter.
Author 55 books1,032 followers
Read
April 3, 2020
I am suddenly regretting my decision to not wait in line for the opening night of any Star Wars movie.
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,861 reviews435 followers
May 10, 2020
Last year I fell in love with Nora Everly when I read Crime and Periodicals and I am still just as smitten after reading Carpentry and Cocktails!!

Nora makes me happy! First because she writes a relatable story with realistic elements and characters you want to root for and she also layers her secondary characters throughout the story with purpose. But mostly, because she doesn’t just give you a romance journey, she also has her leads grow and mature thru the process. She did an excellent job representing some delicate issues with Willa without taking us down a dark angsty path.

I really enjoyed going into this story already knowing the spark between Willa and Everett from Crime and Periodicals. Their connection was pretty much established already so this story didn’t have to layer that process in but I would be remiss if I didn’t say that if you didn’t read the previous book, then I can see this going more towards an insta story for you. Something to keep in mind if you’re a new reader.

DOWNLOAD YOUR COPY TODAY!!
Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon AU
Profile Image for Nikki.
189 reviews5 followers
May 6, 2020

From start to finish, this book had me HOOKED! This book is perfect from start to finish. Nora Everly has a way of tapping into the human spirit to create heroes and heroines that are relatable, complex, and sexy as hell...Everett and Willa are perfect examples of this. My heart feels happy and full after staying up way past my bedtime to finish this book which I could not put down. Even now that I’ve finished it, I just want to start it all over again. Carpentry and Cocktails has solidified once again that I am a huge fan of Ms. Everly’s books.
February 22, 2020
Carpentry and Cocktails by Nora Everly

Emerald book reviews

‘“Everett, why do I always feel like when you’re looking at me, you really see me?” she murmured.

“I do see you. Sometimes you’re all I see,” I confessed, hoping it wasn’t too much, too soon.’

I think I’ve probably said this in my last three book reviews for this author, but writer Nora Everly is one exceptionally talented, humble and beautiful writer. Her words, from the storyline to the dialogue are lyrical, flowing so seamlessly, creating, connecting, and healing. She manages to put a little piece of herself in every story she crafts. I know most authors do, but with Nora it is entirely evident that her heart and soul radiates off each page. It shines through every character, the protagonists and the additional side players. Her passion and confidence in story-telling are both evident in how she is able to use characterisation as a valuable magic tool, rather than over complicated and unrealistic plots. Every emotion, every gasp or tear or smile that she extracts from her readers, is done so through her power of human observation and interaction, something she showcases spectacularly in her books, and in Carpentry and Cocktails we are treated to another breathtakingly romantic, wondrously well-written and captivating love story. One that is an ode to falling down and finding the strength to pick yourself up again, to courage, kindness, trust, and above all else, love. From beginning to end, there are so many different threads of love woven throughout the story, binding it all so wonderfully together.

Willa is an exceptional heroine to fall in love with, being that she is a kaleidoscope of many different things, feelings and thoughts. Feisty yet vulnerable, wounded but incredibly strong. She’s a fighter through and through, and although she is more confident and self-assured as a heroine, in comparison to book one’s Sabrina, there is a beautiful naivety and innocence that permeates her personality. She’s vibrant and loyal, funny and flirty, yet all of these things tend to lie under a cloud of heartbreak and sadness, due to her past. But when our handsome hero, carpenter Everett Monroe, offers her friendship, a devastating smirk and a spectacularly sexy, sweaty and shirtless view from her apartment, the barricade around Willa’s heart starts to disintegrate brick by brick.

Everett Monroe is the type of male protagonist that should be heralded more often. Handsome, hilarious, super nerdy, sweet, yet there is a steel backbone running through all of that goodness. He is stalwart and strong when it comes to those he loves, and our man Everett has been harbouring some serious feelings for Willa. Watching him interact with her, trying to offer help, without offering help, his fears for her, his admiration for who she is and what she overcame, it all cements his character in as a truly mesmerising hero. He’s supportive without the condescension and that is a beautiful thing in itself.

‘“You just will. You can rebuild anything, Everett. It’s what you do. Look at your house, the shop...look at Willa. I’ve been her friend for years and you managed to fix her heart enough so it would open again. You can fix it, and you will.”

“Right, okay. I’ll just go home, be sexy and protective, and hover broodingly from afar.”’

Carpentry and Cocktails is a testament to how talented Nora Everly truly is as a romance writer. She combats the heartbreak with an even more powerful love. She has given readers an extraordinary heroine, full of sass and wit, conviction and compassion, and a wonderful hero, who has the tremendous ability to love and laugh and lead her out of the darkness.
May 15, 2020

Nora Everly just keeps getting better! Carpentry and Cocktails is witty, heartfelt, romantic, hot, and geeky - really, all the best things.

This book is Willa Hill and Everett Monroe’s love story. Willa is leaving her runaway past behind her and seeking a fresh start in her hometown. She’s had enough trouble with men to last a lifetime and is absolutely not interested in her hot, nerdy landlord who has a habit of working shirtless. The chemistry between them is unavoidable though. Everett is mostly in love with Willa before the story even begins.

“Willa Faye Hill was like the Death Star, and I was all caught up in her tractor beam. It was only a matter of time before my heart ended up in the trash compactor and smashed to bits—a.k.a. the usual ending of my romantic relationships.”

Willa and Everett are wonderful, believable characters. Despite handling some tough subject matter, this book serves as a ray of sunshine. Willa and Everett’s story is proof that there can be a rainbow even after the darkest storms.

“Just then I realized that when Everett looked at me, I didn’t lose myself in him. When I was with him, I was free to be myself. I could say whatever I needed to say, and he would listen. And wasn’t that just like a dream come true?”

While this is undoubtedly Willa and Everett’s story, we see so many other Green Valley characters that it feels like a wonderful reunion. Not only do we reconnect with many of Everly’s own hilarious and charming characters, but those of several other SmartyPants Romance authors. The characters are all incorporated so well it feels natural, not gratuitous.

Now available in Kindle Unlimited.

For more reviews, check out our blog on Facebook and Instagram @KindledSouls.
Profile Image for Come_read_with_me_.
654 reviews22 followers
April 20, 2020
I can't even begin to explain how much I loved this book!! Usually when I review a book I would stop half way or when an interesting part came up so I could document it, I was so engrossed in this book. I DID NOT STOP!!! Genuinely! I finished this book in one sitting and I now want to reread already! I mean wow!

OK so let's get into the review:
Willa has a past that she is trying to get over, that past brings her back to her home town of green valley. With the helps of her friends and family, Willa is determined to get over her abusive ex-husband and make a life of her own.
Everett is this sweet, hot geeky carpenter that takes Willa in and while he secretly loves her he has made a promise to himself that nothing or no one will never hurt Willa again! Things get tricky when the ex husband gets out of prison and he is on a mission to get Willa back!

This book is full of courage, strength and determination! It is also so sweet! I mean grab the nearest pillow and squeeze hug the sh*t out of it adorable while having the biggest smile on your face! Yes that's how adorable this book is!! The book has a few triggers about domestic and verbal abuse however Nora writes these moments with empathy and honesty. It really is amazing!

This book has a dual POV which is amazing. Even though this is part of a series it can be 100% read as a standalone.

I highly highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Michele McMullen .
2,131 reviews58 followers
April 29, 2020
Oh how I loved Willa and Everett. Everett is a caring, giving, sensitive man that has admired his tenant Willa from afar.
Willa is breaking away from her old life and her abusive long term boyfriend . She is determined to make it on her own doing whatever it takes to succeed. When the ex finds her she is ready to run again but Everett believes in her and wants to show her what it is like to have the support and love of others that believe in you.
Together it may be possible to tear down the old to make room for the new and beautiful !!
It was great being pulled in their world !
~~Michele McMullen~~
Profile Image for Cyndi.
2,310 reviews95 followers
March 4, 2022
A funny book that is also full of angst and romance. Our heroine isn't a librarian, and neither is our hero, but they are Library-adjacent. Willa ran away from home to marry a jerk when she was 17. That had disastrous consequences and now she has returned home to Green Valley.
Our hero is a busy carpenter who keeps to himself. He also has a place he can rent to her at a good rate. I like that this book finally addresses the problems of finances. Divorces are expensive, and so is a hearth and home. Thank you for keeping it real, Ms. Everly!
Profile Image for Malory Dean.
39 reviews2 followers
May 14, 2020
Steaminess Rating - 💋💋💋 (3 out of 5)

A nerdy “good kind of alpha” wrapped up in a sexy lumberjack package? Heck yes! I’m all in for this one. Everett reminds me of my husband. A nerd in the best way! This is the 5th book in the Green Valley Library series, but it should really be labeled as the Monroe Brothers book 2. I loved it just as much as Crime and Periodicals (aka Monroe Brothers book 1.) I highly suggest starting with C&P before starting this book just so you can really appreciate the families and supporting characters. I need the other two Monroe Brothers’ stories stat! ;)
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,002 reviews102 followers
Check out an excerpt from Willa and Everett's story HERE

***5 ‘Firefly’ Stars***

I swooned and my heart got all kinds of twitterpated, i also wanted to gut a few people with a spoon, but overall this book had me grinning like a loon, laughing out loud and wanting to hug my kindle because of all the Green Valley goodness going on and wishing I could step into my Kindle and live there.

I adored Willa and Everett.

Willa is all kinds of sweet, sassy and independent with a soft and kind heart that has taken quite a beating and has her closing herself off from the world. I gotta say, I did growl in frustration at how determined she was to be an island, though I did understand why, so it was a lot of fun to watch as she opened up to people and let them in, sometimes without having a choice in the matter and became so much stronger for it.

Everett. Now, I LOVE my alpha AF, broody, asshat males. You know I do, but OMG Everett was everything! He is an alpha male in his own right because the man is protective AF, but when you add in his sweetness and the fact that he owns his geekiness? Well the man is simply lethal.

Their journey to their HEA is all kinds of slow burn goodness with a healthy dose of meddling from those who love them most and I enjoyed every moment of it. Their bantering was on point, the chemistry between them hot and I loved how they loved each other’s quirks. There wasn’t a lot of angsty-ness between them, but the outside drama going definitely kept things interesting because it ended up opening their eyes to who each other truly was and bringing them closer.

This was a fun read and a great addition to the Pennyverse. The main drama of the book was well done and definitely brought more depth to the story. And while there were a few characters I wanted to gut with a spoon, I ended up adoring the majority of them. It was a lot of fun to catch up with Sabrina and Wyatt and their brood. Genie and Patty were awesome and getting to hang out with Barrett and Garrett was a lot of fun. But it was Sadie, Clara and Gracie, along with Ruby, that I NEED more of, so I’m crossing my toes that we’ll get more of them in the future.

~ Copy provided by SBPR & voluntarily reviewed ~
Profile Image for Kelly.
4,788 reviews167 followers
May 10, 2020
*rubs hands together* Okay, so Willa, BFF of Sabrina from C&P, and Everett, brother of Wyatt from C&P, are giving each other eyes over donuts every morning. Complication: Willa is Everett's tenant and she's sort of gun shy after her marriage ended badly. Everett is entirely aware he needs to go slow with Willa and does his level best to keep her from turning tail and heading for the hills.

Except she won't head for the *hills* because the hills come with their own issues for her. Namely, her mother. Who is...not a great mother. But Willa might just take off for parts unknown if things hit too hard and fast outside her comfort zone and that's the LAST thing Everett wants.

Speaking of Everett, he's a hot nerd who comes unencumbered with a lot of baggage. The guy's biggest fault is possibly that his mother is OVERWHELMINGLY overjoyed at his choice of lady friends and not afraid to make sure said lady friend knows it. His family is big and loyal and they have his back. By extension they have Willa's back, too. (To be fair, Wyatt had her back well before she returned to Green Valley and started making eyes at his brother.)

In fact, the entire town is willing to stand up for Willa and it takes a while for that to sink in. Between reconnecting with family, running herself ragged trying to pay off her debts, and heated kisses (AND MORE) with her sexy landlord, Willa has a lot to process. Finding herself is just part of the process. Trusting others to catch her if she needs to be caught is the other.

MAN, I love spending time in Green Valley.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews221 followers
May 12, 2020
Carpentry and Cocktails is the fifth book in the contemporary romance, Green Valley Library series by author Nora Everly. It is also the 23rd book in the Green Valley Universe from Smarty Pants romance. If you are new to Smartypants romance, it is a publishing line with books by several different authors, writing stories set in one of Penny Reid's universes. Many of the  stories feature characters in and around the town of Green Valley. (The Winston Brothers series) I am such a big fan of this series, and if it seems intimidating, don't worry! The books can all be read as standalones, and you don't have to read any of Penny's original books to understand the world. (though you should read all of he books because she is one of my very favorite romance authors) It is perfect for new fans and old fans because we get all new story lines and characters, but we get to see plenty of character crossover.

I have missed the previous books in the Green Valley Library series, but I decided to put my reading where my mouth is. I always spout that because the books are all standalones that you can jump in and read the books in any order, but I am typically a very "read the books in order" reader. But this summary really caught my attention so I wanted to give it a go. And I am so glad that I did because Carpentry and Cocktails may be my favorite book that I have read in all of the Green Valley world books! I loved it so much! It was the perfect romance read. And it has made me really want to pick up the previous four books in the Green Valley Library series.

In Carpentry and Cocktails we meet Everett and Willa. The book is told in dual narrative between the two of them, and after a bit of snooping I have found that there story is tied into this series through Everett's brother Wyatt (and good friend of Willa) and Sabrina, who is Willa's best friend. Everett has had a crush on Willa ever since she moved in to his basement apartment.  Not only did I love Everett because he is sweet and a huge nerd, but I also appreciated that he liked Willa right away and he knew it. He was patient but at the same time made his affection for her known and once he saw that she liked him back he was unwavering in his support with her. I love how protective and steady he is. Everett is total book boyfriend material. Willa has family drama and ex husband drama, which are both very real issues in her life, but overall this book felt very romance centric, and because of that it was a total feel good read for me. There wasn't much slow burn here (most of the slow burn attraction happened before the story started, so it wasn't insta love but it all happened very fast from the readers perspective. However; it worked very well for story progression. I loved Willa and Everett's story.  If you are the in mood for a really smoldering, sweet and heartwarming romance, featuring a protective and hot nerd, you need to check out Carpentry and Cocktails. This is a book I fell in love with hardcore. I loved this story and I think you will too.

4.5/5 Stars
Profile Image for Emma .
2,506 reviews350 followers
May 16, 2020
Carpentry and Cocktails is a wonderful hot-geek story where the good guy wins with heart-melting honesty and protectiveness.

SO MUCH SWOON

Everett is one of the Monroe siblings introduced in Crime and Periodicals so much hot and so much geek all in one body. Everett is utterly adorable with a heart of gold, he has also completely infatuated by his new tenant, Willa.

Willa is a Green Valley native, however, she eloped at 17 to escape her emotionally abusive mother. Only to find herself in another abusive relationship with a controlling, possessive husband. Finally escaping his clutches, Willa has returned to Green Valley in the hope of putting down the roots she has desperately missed. Willa, as can be expected, has a lot of emotional baggage and no longer trusts her own judgment. Something I can completely relate to. Willa, has an amazing support system within Green Valley with her three sisters, extended family and best friends.

The chemistry between Willa and Everett is off the charts and inescapable. While the flesh may be willing, Willa’s heart is a little more reluctant, not for her sake but in order to protect Everett.

I absolutely adored how Everett remained a constant presence and support in Willa’s life as she tried to regain control over her life and emotions.

There is a lot going on in the plot of Carpentry and Cocktails with fantastic cameo appearances of previous characters from both Nora’s previous Green Valley story as well as the iconic Penny-Verse characters.

While the romance is the core of the narrative, Carpentry and Cocktails provides powerful insight into the permanent damage verbal abuse can create and its ongoing impact on the lives of its victims.
Profile Image for Andrea Guy.
1,463 reviews60 followers
April 28, 2020
I am so thankful for discovering The Page Nerds group on Facebook. If it weren't for them, I never would have found authors like Andrea Johnston and now Nora Everly. I read my first book of Nora's at the beginning of the year and I loved it.

I have wanted to read the books in the Green Valley Public Library series for awhile and I was thrilled to get a chance at reading Carpentry and Cocktails. I've been back at reading romance again and Nora's books are part of the reason I'm getting back into the genre.

Why?

Characters like Willa and Everett that feel so darn real. They aren't super rich (Greek Billionaire's etc) or even glamorous. What they are are people you feel like you could know.

I loved Everett and all his geeky wonderfulness. I'd love to watch Firefly with both of them.

Willa's situation is an interesting one for a romance novel. She's running from an abusive ex that doesn't think she should be his ex. (side note...I think said ex backed off a little too easily in the end without enough drama) What I did love was watching her learn to stick up for herself, even if it meant getting away from her mother. (Bad mothers always make me sad in books) Willa's mom was hard to wrap my head around because she had mistakes in her life, but she couldn't forgive her daughters and she was really verbally/mentally abusive to them.

I loved how her sisters stuck by her, and I really loved her relationship with her youngest sister, Gracie. She was one smart teenager, who was definitely wise beyond her years. (She deserves a story somewhere down the line)

Oh but back to the romance aspect of this book. OMG! Everett is the kind of man you want to have your back (And you front and anywhere else). Their chemistry is off the charts. I loved his protective nature that didn't send him flying into the Alpha Male category. It made him more knight in shining armor.

This is a feel good romance, with a little suspense from the ex and a bunch of laughs in between. Nora Everly should be on you must read list of authors and this book is a good place to start!

Profile Image for Pam Nelson.
3,072 reviews96 followers
February 25, 2021
Willa & Everett
Willa hasn’t always made the best choices but really who does in their teens.
Her ex is out and wants her back but Willa isn’t having it. She is a little down on her luck but Everett smexy carpenter aka landlord not only catches her eye but her heart.
Their story is sweet and I loved it. I am so glad I continued with this series.
The narration was fantastic!
Profile Image for Quinn's Quippy Quotes.
1,236 reviews108 followers
January 5, 2022
So the Monroe brothers are quickly becoming my favorite in this series. I can’t wait for Garrett’s turn! Willa and Everett were adorable.
Profile Image for Diane (Books and Tequila Blog).
1,336 reviews58 followers
April 26, 2020
Where has this author been all my life??? I absolutely loved this book. With beautiful lyrical writing it had all the h’s... heart, heat and humor in a story that grabbed me from the start and entertained me till the end.

“...he did all kinds of things to me. Dirty things, sweet things, easy things, and things that got my mind filled with so many complicated thoughts that I was constantly spinning from one to another. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t think.”

My full review:
Profile Image for Amanda.
1,814 reviews46 followers
May 13, 2020
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

Carpentry and Cocktails
by Nora Everly is the newest edition in smartpants romance's Green Valley Library series. This full length contemporary can be enjoyed as a standalone and fits right into the Green Valley universe perfectly.

"Willa Faye Hill was like the Death Star, and I was all caught up in her tractor beam."

Willa ran away from Green Valley when she was young with a man who turned out to be all wrong for her. She's divorced him and has settled back in Green Valley for now, and she's trying hard to fall for her landlord , Everette Monroe. Everette has wanted Willa sense she came back to town but the more he gets to know her the more he knows she's worth the wait. They can't deny their chemistry for long but Willa needs to be fully free of her past and be happy with herself before she can fully embrace falling in love again.

"And his eyes... God, the way he looked at me? He saw y soul and he understood it. He smoothed my edges and made me soft again."

All the characters in this book were fantastic. Willa was down to earth and real in her insecurities. She made some bad decision in life, but she didn't let them keep her down. Everette was my perfect boyfriend, bearded flannel wearing geek who was charming and respectful with the perfect amount of dirty in the bedroom. He has honestly landed himself a spot on my top five bookboyfriend list! Willa and Everette were really cute together, both a little nerdy. Whether they were just hanging out watching TV or fixing up the house they just worked. And damn that man knew what he was doing in the bedroom 🔥🔥

"I forgot myself whenever I was with her, [...] I forgot everything and just yearned. Willa made me want her, she makes me burn for her, and it hurt."

Carpentry and Cocktails
had steady storyline that had just the right amount of drama. Two fantastic main characters and a whole cast of supporting ones that feel help it flow. Willa's sister Grace was snarky and when she teamed up with Ruby I was left laughing out loud! There are also many friendly faces from other Green Valley stories and a few Winston brother pop ups to make Penny Reid readers happy.

PicsArt_04-29-09.30.53

five-star
Profile Image for Elaine.
719 reviews3 followers
May 15, 2020
Everett and Willa are the most lovely couple I've ever read!! Author Nora Everly's writing is amazing with all the feels you ever want in a book!!
Will Everett and Willa get their happily after or will Willa's ex Tommy ruin it all?
Profile Image for Sarah Keffer book.and.beagle .
108 reviews8 followers
March 28, 2020
I love Nora Everly's books so I could not wait to get my hands on Carpentry and Cocktails! She is on my "no questions asked" author list; if she writes it, I read it. Everett is the perfect man. Hardworking, handsome, kind and funny with a healthy side of geeky. I loved him immediately. Willa has been through a lot of tough times but she is strong and smart I loved her character also. Their love story is the perfect combination of sweet, sexy and hilarious. It is low angst but there are several very emotional moments that truly hit me hard. I laughed, swooned and cried and I loved every single moment of this book. Get your hands on Carpentry and Cocktails asap!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 242 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.