Start by marking “The Roo” as Want to Read:
The Roo

The Roo

Something is wrong in the small outback town of Morgan Creek.

A farmer goes missing after a blue in the pub. A teenage couple fail to show up for work. When Patrick and Sheila McDonough investigate, they discover the missing persons list is growing. Before they realise what’s happening, the residents of the remote town find themselves in a fight for their lives against a fo
Published January 28th 2020 by Amazon Media

To ask other readers questions about The Roo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roo

Start your review of The Roo
karen

i NEED this book. my WILL TO LIVE depends upon it.

review to come!
Char
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Romping, chomping, creature-feature FUN.

I was on the outskirts of the Twitter community that spawned the idea for this story. It was fun to see most of those Tweeters turned into characters and killed in the book.

Perhaps a bit heavy on the anti-domestic violence message, but that didn't spoil the overall fun.

Recommended for fans of creature-features!

*I purchased this novella with my hard earned cash.*
Graeme Rodaughan
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a rampaging supernatural beast story
Shelves: horror
Demon Possessed Marsupial Mauls Outback Town: "Killer Roo Ate My Husband!"

Read the full news report below...

No, just kidding ... about the news report that is.

A very entertaining 'Full Gore Horror,' monster-splatterfest of a novella that gets under your skin - very memorable.

Strongly Recommended: 5 'blood splattered,' stars
Steve Stred
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is it OK to review a book when you are a character in it? Not sure on the protocol here, but I was a minor player that was mentioned a few times, so I'm going to say yes!

What started out as a funny headline, then turned into a joke cover, and dovetailed into a hilarious Twitter thread has resulted in this - a modern day Paperback From Hell. Hendrix would be proud.

The story is really simple - a small outback town in Australia gets decimated by an out of control, monstrous Kangaroo. They band toge
Krystal
OH MY GOD YES

AVOID if you have an aversion to:
-Murderous kangaroos
-Carnage and mayhem
-Blood and gore
-Pointless, graphic violence
-Swearing
-Aussie slang
-Outback livin'

This is a book quite clearly written for the people. The larrakin language was so over the top I was laughing out loud and considered shelving this as 'comedy'. (Side note: 'Strine'?? Round these parts we call it 'Strayan'.) Make sure you read the forward.

There's a handful of typos and continuity errors, too many characters to keep t
Richard Derus
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Real Rating: 3.5* of five

Good, violent fun from an Aussie horrorista with a Twitter cadre of loyalists who all have excellent credentials as writers. I hadn't considered one of Author Baxter's tales for my own entertainment before chancing on a well-loved writer's tweet encouraging all and sundry to do so. I did; I'm glad.

Quite a ride! Curses, death wishes, and a lot of rage. Gore galore and the weirdest monster yet. But all in all, a sad take on the prevalence of hatred in the world. Roots go d
Kimberly
THE ROO, by Alan Baxter was a fun, B-movie style novella. Action packed from the start, what began as a series of comments on Twitter became an original tale of carnage and gore.

Let's face it--this was obviously an automatic "cover buy" for any horror enthusiast out there, as well.

I loved the descriptions of this massive new threat, and honestly didn't even have a chance to guess at the cause, since I was so into the events happening.

". . . Roos don't have teeth like that . . . "

The only thi
Schizanthus Nerd
You can blame a news article, Australian Town Terrorised By Muscular Kangaroo Attacking People and Eating Gardens, and Twitter for the existence of this book. Most of the people who egged the author on are now fictionally deceased, slaughtered by Skippy. Meanwhile, I’m waiting as patiently as humanly possible for The Asylum to film this story for me. I love The Asylum!

I was interested in reading this book mostly as a bit of a joke but also because I thought it would be pretty un-Australian of me
Michael Hicks
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, bought
My review of THE ROO can be found at High Fever Books.

The Roo is really fun, high-octane, vintage creature feature straight out of the Australian Outback. It started off as a lark, based around a quintessentially Australian news story about a seriously ripped kangaroo terrorizing a town, eating up gardens, and attacking the elderly. Author Charles Rutledge joked on Twitter that it sounded like an old paperback horror novel from Zebra, and author and cover designer Kealan Patrick Burke designed t
Christian
As soon as I saw that title and cover I knew I had to read it, and I'm glad I did because it is fucken brilliant. No doubt the greatest fucken thing I'll read all fucken year. Fuck Razorback, make a film of this. Or get fucked.

Bring on the inevitable sequel, The Roo 2: That Fucken Roo's Back, Now How Did He Do That. I'm telling ya, the bloody thing will write itself. Or get fucked.
Mindi
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow soon...
Josh
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2020, horror
Struth! Stone the flamin’ crows, this one’s a bloody rippa (both figuratively and literally)!

Side note; I’m an Australian, and whilst the colorful aforementioned colloquialisms aren’t part of my day to day dialogue, they are 100% apt when reviewing this piece of, do I dare so, classical Aussie outback horror? – yeah, it’s that good.

Back to the book; this outback gore stained story of survival horror ticks all the boxes; it’s got the isolation angle, a menacing murderous beast, a high kill count,
John
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
If I could give this one 3.5 stars, I would, but i decided to round up.

I actually quite liked this story, but two Public Service Announcements? I think all that accomplishes, in a book like this, is to put an "I care" button in the author's lapel. And it distracts the reader from the story flow.

Besides that, great story! It seems perfect for the SyFy Channel... or Lifetime.
lee_readsbooks
What started as a joke on Twitter turned creative cover art by Kealan Patrick Burke, Alan Baxter was soon persuaded into writing one hell of a classic Aussie horror story!

As an Aussie myself I found this book to be absolutely hilarious for horror. Every piece of Aussie slang Baxter could think of has been added to this book ( don't worry there is a Glossary).

As I was reading the banter between farmers I couldn't help but giggle at the amount of phrases I use myself but change my language when w
Amanda Kent
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just a rippa bloody giant roo, slicing up a small town that has enough issues without this bastard tearing up more havok. So much fun, easy to read, has a nice message at the end and well worth your time. Not that you will even need much of it. Was a pleasure to start the year off with this one.
Glenn  Parker
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Strewth!
where do I start? not in f#cking Morgan Creek that's for sure, ya can stick that town up ya clacker. I feel - as a bit of a bogan, myself - that I am most qualified to review this book. Ya see I grew up in a town just like Morgan Creek, alright so maybe there wasn't a 7-foot tall c#nt of a skippy bouncing 'round but it was in the sticks, down in the asshole of the world. There was a local pub which might have well as been our church ( Father, Son, and the holy froth.) We had the one bak
Cassie Daley
Full review on my blog!: https://letsgetgalactic.com/2020/04/2...

If you're not heavy into the book Twitter scene, the idea popped up to do a bunch of books about different animals with covers by Kealan Patrick Burke, owner of Elder Lemon Design, to benefit wildlife. This one was the first (I think?? that I know of?!) in that whole thing, and a bunch of us bookish community folk jumped in to give very emphatic YES votes to the ideas being thrown around.⁠

As a gift from the Author Gods for our serv
The Grim Reader
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the spirit of James Herbert's The Rats and other similar paperbacks from hell, The Roo features a massive, bloodthirsty kangaroo terrorising a small town called Morgan Creek. This roo doesn't mess around. The body count is high, the Aussie slang is in full flow and so is the fun factor. If you want a silly, splatterpunk novella, it's time to join the croo! A sit load of fun. And so...

4/5 skippy the bush kangaroos from the Grim Reader.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
I just have to admit to myself and everyone else that I love what I call creature-feature horror. So when I saw talk of Roo being released, buying a copy was a no-brainer. Plus I have read a previous book from Baxter and really enjoyed it as well.

Roo is about what happens when a giant teeth-filled kangaroo starts terrorizing the small town of Morgan Creek. After a rowdy night at a bar, a lone town member falls prey and by the time people figure out he is gone, the roo has already done some damag
Kim Napolitano
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloody Good Fun!

When this novella hit my library I had to read it right away! If you read the introduction you’ll see that Mr. Baxter used real names of real people in the horror community, I’m sorry most of you didn’t survive. You don’t need know any of those details other then to hop along with a satanic killer kangaroo as it terrorizes a small outback farming community. Mr. Baxter does bring to light some serious issues like domestic violence and depression that was well written in the story
Tracy Robinson
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-wishlist
Bloody good fun! Review soon.
Laurel
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any horror fan seeing this book on the shelf would be compelled to pick it up - I mean, just look at that cover. And then you're thinking, this is seriously about a murderous kangaroo? No one could really pull that off, could they?

Actually, yeah they could - Alan Baxter, ladies and gentlemen. The Roo is an epic and enjoyable piece of storytelling crafted by a master author applying his skill to a subject that started as a joke. The pacing is excellent, the characters and setting interesting and
Luke
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Photoshop is responsible for a lot of things. Most of them are bad, but in the case of this novella – written in response to the image which ended up as its cover – Adobe should be profusely thanked.

The world has a serious lack of stories about rampaging kangaroos. Even fewer of those involve exploding heads, multiple appearances of the phrase "shit cunt", and can be read in about an hour. Alan Baxter has filled the void pretty well, here.

Also, there's this in the introduction:
If you’re not too
Alan
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Now, THAT was a fun book. Fast-paced, no holds barred brutal action, logic and reasoning cast aside for good old fashioned creature horror. If a Syfy/Asylum movie were written by someone with actual talent, it would be this.
Teresa
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A ridiculously silly creature feature . All good fun with lots od dirty words!
Dion Smith
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
As someone from Australia, who has had a bit of experience with real roos, including having one as a pet for a while, This was a fun 80's style creature feature, with the expected gore, action, and funny one liners.

This book is going straight to the pool room.
Highly recommended
Marina Schnierer
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella about an Australian outback town which is losing it's inhabitants in horrific ways by a monstrous deranged roo. Being an Australian I loved the Aussie slang and terminology, made me feel right at home. For all non Aussies there's a glossary at the back of the book to explain their meanings. I also enjoyed the foreword explaining how this story came about. That in itself was an entertaining read. This book is also about more than just a crazed killer roo, it is a ...more
Amanda J Spedding
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rollicking fun with that 80s horror-schlock feel, steeped in Aussie vernacular. Loved it!
Greg
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4/5 So you ask is this really about a killer kangaroo tromping through the Outback and smashing heads. Yes. Yes it is. Is it gory? Yes. Yes it is. Is it cheesy and campy as hell? Oh definitely. Is it fun? Yes. Yes it is.

Anyone who enjoys those classic killer animal movies you’re gonna have a good time. I absolutely would love to see an awful movie made of this chocked full of CG rendered red kangaroo and red gore.
Brennan LaFaro
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story of The Roo may have begun as a joke on the interweb, but when it came down to writing a compelling novella, Alan Baxter didn’t come here to fuck spiders.

The Roo delivers a creature feature to rival all others. When a seven-foot tall, red roo begins terrorizing the outback, it’s up to a rowdy cast of characters bearing more than a few familiar names to figure out where this evil’s come from and how to stop it. Along the way there are some spectacular, splattery, and memorable character
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Horror Aficionados : March 2020 Group Read #2: The Roo 39 154 Apr 01, 2020 11:52AM

• The Magpie Coffin
  • Devil's Creek
  • Shock Totem 11: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Too Many Eyes: And Other Thrilling Strange Tales
My book rating system:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Brilliant, I bloody loved it!
⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Really good, highly recommended.
⭐⭐⭐ - Enjoyable, well worth a read.

I don't talk about ⭐⭐ and ⭐ reads because I believe in only talking up the good stuff. That's why my Goodreads rarely has anything under a ⭐⭐⭐, unless I feel like there's good reason to talk about it.

Bio: Alan Baxter is a British-Australian multi-award-winning author