Start by marking “The Roo” as Want to Read:
The Roo

The Roo

Something is wrong in the small outback town of Morgan Creek.

A farmer goes missing after a blue in the pub. A teenage couple fail to show up for work. When Patrick and Sheila McDonough investigate, they discover the missing persons list is growing. Before they realise what’s happening, the residents of the remote town find themselves in a fight for their lives against a
Published January 28th 2020 by Amazon Media

To ask other readers questions about The Roo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roo

Start your review of The Roo
Steve Stred
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is it OK to review a book when you are a character in it? Not sure on the protocol here, but I was a minor player that was mentioned a few times, so I'm going to say yes!

What started out as a funny headline, then turned into a joke cover, and dovetailed into a hilarious Twitter thread has resulted in this - a modern day Paperback From Hell. Hendrix would be proud.

The story is really simple - a small outback town in Australia gets decimated by an out of control, monstrous Kangaroo. They band
Schizanthus Nerd
You can blame a news article, Australian Town Terrorised By Muscular Kangaroo Attacking People and Eating Gardens, and Twitter for the existence of this book. Most of the people who egged the author on are now fictionally deceased, slaughtered by Skippy. Meanwhile, I’m waiting as patiently as humanly possible for The Asylum to film this story for me. I love The Asylum!

I was interested in reading this book mostly as a bit of a joke but also because I thought it would be pretty un-Australian of me
Michael Hicks
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought, horror
My review of THE ROO can be found at High Fever Books.

The Roo is really fun, high-octane, vintage creature feature straight out of the Australian Outback. It started off as a lark, based around a quintessentially Australian news story about a seriously ripped kangaroo terrorizing a town, eating up gardens, and attacking the elderly. Author Charles Rutledge joked on Twitter that it sounded like an old paperback horror novel from Zebra, and author and cover designer Kealan Patrick Burke designed
Mindi
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow soon...
Christian
As soon as I saw that title and cover I knew I had to read it, and I'm glad I did because it is fucken brilliant. No doubt the greatest fucken thing I'll read all fucken year. Fuck Razorback, make a film of this. Or get fucked.

Bring on the inevitable sequel, The Roo 2: That Fucken Roo's Back, Now How Did He Do That. I'm telling ya, the bloody thing will write itself. Or get fucked.
Lee  drunkonbookz
What started as a joke on Twitter turned creative cover art by Kealan Patrick Burke, Alan Baxter was soon persuaded into writing one hell of a classic Aussie horror story!

As an Aussie myself I found this book to be absolutely hilarious for horror. Every piece of Aussie slang Baxter could think of has been added to this book ( don't worry there is a Glossary).

As I was reading the banter between farmers I couldn't help but giggle at the amount of phrases I use myself but change my language when
Kim Napolitano
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloody Good Fun!

When this novella hit my library I had to read it right away! If you read the introduction you’ll see that Mr. Baxter used real names of other people in the book community, I’m sorry most of you didn’t survive. You don’t need know any other that to hop along with a satanic killer kangaroo as it terrorizes a small outback farming community. Mr. Baxter does bring to light some serious issues like domestic violence and depression that was well written in the story. It’s also about
Glenn  Parker
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Strewth!
where do I start? not in f#cking Morgan Creek that's for sure, ya can stick that town up ya clacker. I feel - as a bit of a bogan, myself - that I am most qualified to review this book. Ya see I grew up in a town just like Morgan Creek, alright so maybe there wasn't a 7-foot tall c#nt of a skippy bouncing 'round but it was in the sticks, down in the asshole of the world. There was a local pub which might have well as been our church ( Father, Son, and the holy froth.) We had the one
Matt
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-books
Best book of the year? Probably. Most fun you'll have this year? Most definitely.

All stemming from a joke post that was inspired by a story in the news, The Roo is one wild splatter-filled fun ride that will be the only book about a killer kangaroo you'll ever need to read. Alan Baxter took a goofy prompt and created a masterpiece in the genre of animal attack stories. And the amazing thing about this? It's actually a really good book. He could have easily just phoned in some schlocky goofiness
Heather
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alan Baxter’s novella The Roo apparently started with a Twitter joke. There was some news article about an aggressive kangaroo, followed by Twitter jokes about turning it into a story, followed by one person making a mock-up book cover, and finally Baxter agreed to write it. I’m so glad he did!

The premise is simple: In a rural town in Australia, there’s a giant, demonic kangaroo on the loose. Its eyes are fiery, it’s more than seven feet tall, and it’s ridiculously muscular. Why, it could rip a
Scott J. Moses
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, Alan Baxter wrote me and many others into his latest wip and it’s amazing.

I’m an 84 year old widower who’s brutally murdered by a demonic kangaroo. I also vomit so hard my dentures fall out. 10/10 recommend.

In all seriousness though, Baxter brings the level of craft he’s exibited in CROW SHINE/SERVED COLD etc, and the story hits pretty hard at times, dealing with domestic abuse, poverty, depression, and racism.

I went in for some laughs and a fun ride, but ultimately, Alan wrote one hell of
M.E.
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, gory, immersive page turner.

This is a visually written story that will immerse you in the lives of people in a small, isolated Australian town as they battle a supernatural, virtually unstoppable kangaroo with a flair for tearing humans to pieces despite them making intelligent decisions while combating it.

If you’re not familiar with someone wearing an Akubra or driving a ute, there is a fun and helpful Aussie slang glossary at the end of the book. My kindle was also able to find
Aiden Merchant
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review coming to DeadHeadReviews.com soon!
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
Good fun!
Kevin Jones
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A deeply satisfying creature feature that was a fantastic mix of “Call of Cthul-Roo” and important social message. This was a fun read!
Red Lagoe
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloody Roo from Hell!
What a crazy fun, creature feature. This story is everything I hoped it would be. I laughed, cringed at epic death scenes, then laughed some more.
Kylie Thompson
My fave read of the year so far!

This story is nuts in the best possible way! It's hilarious, it's gory, it's the kind of story that'll leave you side-eyeing the kangaroos at your next zoo trip, just in case. The violence is glorious without being over-done, with just the right amount of cheese to keep from feeling like a Saw remake set in a zoo. The Roo captures the weirdness of rural life beautifully even as it ramps the ocker-ness to 11 and runs with it. The plot is fast-paced and fun, with
Kelsey
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chris
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OK... no wait I mean... KO Boomer!

A brilliant, touching, moving, fast paced, blood drenched, marsupial mayhem story dealing with issues of domestic violence and suicide in country Australia, while also providing some of the most creative death scenes I've had the pleasure to read. Kangaroo feet are fucking scary.

I demand a sequel! I want to see more super powered native fauna-demons fucking shit up. You left the hanging thread, and I want more! The Wombat! The Koala! The Emu! The Platypus! The
Kimberly
THE ROO, by Alan Baxter was a fun, B-movie style novella. Action packed from the start, what began as a series of comments on Twitter became an original tale of carnage and gore.

Let's face it--this was obviously an automatic "cover buy" for any horror enthusiast out there, as well.

I loved the descriptions of this massive new threat, and honestly didn't even have a chance to guess at the cause, since I was so into the events happening.

". . . Roos don't have teeth like that . . . "

The only thing
Deb Randolph
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kangaroo from hell!

I never thought I would love a book about a demon kangaroo. This book proved me wrong. What's not exciting about a 7 ft. tall kangaroo hell bent on a killing spree. I loved the characters and the humorous moments in between the gory killings. I loved the mentions of domestic violence making people aware that, yes, it still goes on around the world. Having grown up in a household filled with domestic violence which involved running out of the house at all hours, I am still
Rainier
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bloody, imaginative, violent...loved all 122 pages but then again, I'm a sucker for kangaroos, even if they are bloody thirsty killing machines. Sure, the 'idea' of the story is a bit ludicrous but the writing is tight and Baxter weaved in the problem of domestic violence in the outback of Australia. It's something we all need to be aware of even if we're not from Australia. Also felt the book was a bit educational as Baxter included a lot Australian slang, complete with a mini dictionary for ...more
Glenda
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of creature feature horror stories, so when I first saw the glimmer of this tale on twitter, I knew I had to follow and read. I was not disappointed!! What started out as a real news story about a rather assertive kangaroo harassing a small Australian town quickly turned into the call for a horror story, and Alan Baxter stepped up. This is the epitome of fun horror---I laughed, I was grossed out, I cheered on the "good guys," and I wished the wrath of The Roo on others. Read this ...more
Mark Ennen
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The outback will never be the same as a killer red raises holy hell through the town. From the first page the Roo grabs you and drags you and many other bodies into the bush. This book is not only entertaining but educational, check out the Aussie glossary in the back. Highly recommend this one by Alan Baxter.
Mike
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The townsfolk of Morgan Creek seem to have an outback problem in the form of a seven foot monstrosity. Written with a blistering action packed intent, Alan Baxter succeeds in creating a Jaws related atmosphere for an unsuspecting isolated town. Horror readers rejoice and prepare to indulge in what this book has to offer...Sex, Drugs and Kangaroo.
Ila
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. Read it in one sitting. When you read this as an ebook be sure to find the part in the beginning that explains how this book became to be. That will make it even more enjoyable for you.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who made this book happen. Hope you all do this again at least once a year.
Sharon
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Wow, crazy, action packed story that I didn't want to put down

The story contains a monster that kills with lots of gore. Also lots of strong language. I loved it. I'm hope to never meet up with this Roo.
Nathan
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crazy bit of Australian insanity. A good old fashioned literary homage to slasher films and creature features. Make sure to read it in an Australian accent!
Sam
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, books-of-2020
Review to follow, but this was just good ol' fashion marsupial murder fun!
Jeff Terry
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic read! Fun, gruesome page-turner that doesn't waste words. And for all its brevity, you still care about the characters. Highly recommend!!!
Horror Aficionados : * March 2020 Group Read #2: The Roo 7 83 Feb 25, 2020 02:39AM

• True Crime
  • Dear Laura
  • Benny Rose, the Cannibal King
  • The Reddening
  • Severin
  • Till the Score is Paid
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Slay My Love
  • The Goblets Immortal
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • Shock Totem 11: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Too Many Eyes: And Other Thrilling Strange Tales
  • Bottled
  • Shallow Waters Vol.1: A Flash Fiction Anthology
  • Earth & Ember (The Fearing #4)
  • Scanlines
My book rating system:
- Brilliant, I bloody loved it!
- Really good, highly recommended.
- Enjoyable, well worth a read.

I don't talk about and reads because I believe in only talking up the good stuff. That's why my Goodreads rarely has anything under a , unless I feel like there's good reason to talk about it.

Bio: Alan Baxter is a British-Australian multi-award-winning author of horror,