Start by marking “The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms, #1)

The Jasmine Throne

(Burning Kingdoms #1)

Imprisoned by her dictator brother, Mali
Expected publication: June 10th 2021 by Orbit (first published June 8th 2021)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri
    The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms, #1)

Release date: Jun 08, 2021

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 3592 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 10 - Jun 07, 2021

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Jasmine Throne, please sign up.
    Dayanara Ryelle
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms, #1)
    chai ♡
    If your thing is “morally grey lesbians who long to set an empire ablaze and are set ablaze by their longing for each other/washing each other’s hair/holding sharp-edged knives to each other’s ribs/kissing beneath a waterfall” you should definitely pre-order this book!

Full review to come.
    Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
    5 gleaming, golden, sapphic stars.

This is my first full 5 star read of the year, and a new favourite. I have found a new epic fantasy series to fill the void left behind by The City of Brass and The Poppy War trilogies. It is an examination of how women are seen as monstrous - whether it's due to actual magical abilities, or simply the fact that they're clever. It is also full of sapphic yearning (the waterfall scene!), sprawling and lush worldbuilding on an epic scale, and rich politics. It lo
    Talia Hibbert
    I… just… wow. I long ago accepted the fact that no book would ever make me feel precisely the way Empire of Sand or Realm of Ash did, which is fine, so WHY did The Jasmine Throne have to knock me off my chair with the exact same feels magnified by like 10,000? What is that about?????

Reading The Jasmine Throne was like hovering, ghostlike, in another world, feeling the heat of the flames and watching the drip of spilled wine and hearing my own heart pound with rage or fear or love or some unnervi
    Robin
    May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ↠ 5 stars

It begins with a burning and an exile. Malini is a traitor — a vengeful princess banished to the Hirana, a ruined temple, to atone for her crimes. Kept under lock and key, she grows weaker under the watchful eye of her caretaker, facing almost certain death. Priya is a maidservant tasked with taking the treacherous path to the Hirana every night to care for the captive princess. The job is dangerous, accompanied by the risk of revealing her most well-kept secret, and when Priya is attac
    anna (½ of readsrainbow)
    only lesbians on my mind

rep: Indian inspired characters and setting, lesbian mcs
    tw: homophobia, gore, violence, execution by burning, forced drug use, torture, death, body horror
    AnnaLuce
    / / / Read more reviews on my blog / /

Trust me, her face said.
    That was the problem with making allies. At some point, inevitably, there came a moment when a decision had to be made: Could this one be trusted? Had their loyalty been won? Was their generosity a façade for a hidden knife?”

I more or less inhaled this 500+ page novel in two days.
    Tasha Suri's The Jasmine Throne may be one of the best high fantasy novels I've ever read. Superbly written The Jasmine Throne presents its readers with an
    Maëlys
    Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    ☆ 5 / 5 ☆

“She could make herself into something monstrous. She could be a creature born of poison and pyre, flame and blood.”

This book starts out with fire and it does not die down throughout the story. Princess Malini, traitorous sister to the Parijati emperor refuses to burn and is sent instead to be imprisoned in the conquered nation of Ahiranya where unrest and tensions are rising. Masked rebels are taking more and more violent action to free themselves from Parijatdvipa’s control, aspir
    gauri
    check out the full review along with an aesthetic on my blog!

"There are other versions of you that I don't know. But this one..." Her fingers were against Malini's lips. "This one is mine."

Tasha Suri has done it again. I am so grateful to her for that.

There isn't a single thing that I didn't like in the book: the complex plot, the sapphic yearning, the magic system, the influential side characters, the scheming, the Indian rep and the beautiful descriptions. I'm so eager to see how the seri
    Sana
    Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
    What's better than a queer, desi woman in a sari on the cover of an #ownvoices fantasy anyway 💁🏽

----------------------------------------

HERE FOR THE MORALLY GREY LESBIANS (IN LOVE)

Honestly, though a captive princess and her maidservant coming for the princess's traitor brother (and in love). Love to see it
    charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
    i am wrecked & so grateful for it

Rep: Indian inspired characters and setting, lesbian mcs

CWs: homophobia, gore, violence, execution by burning, forced drug use
    fang
    5/5 stars. aches. hurts. in love.

rep: indian coded lesbian main characters, indian coded cast

do you like enemies to reluctant allies to lovers, morally grey characters, yearning is in the almost kisses, tenderly washing your lovers hair, accidental hand holding in a dark forest night?

The Jasmine Throne is the first book in the burning kingdoms duology, an engrossing tale of two women, survivors who become unlikely allies to save the empire, with a slow burn romance in the make set in Ahiranya,
    Nomadic Reader (Baba Yaga)
    Love how this adult fantasy book, which isn't even out yet, has already been shelved as YA by several people on Goodreads.
    What exactly does a female author have to do in order for her books to be considered adult fantasy, apart from writing under a male or gender-neutral pseudonym?
    If you find out, let me know.
    rachel ☾
    ... a new trilogy set in a world inspired by the history and epics of India, in which a captive princess and a maidservant in possession of forbidden magic become unlikely allies on a dark journey to save their empire from the princess's traitor brother.

anti-heriones are my weakness and this is sapphic

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
    Adam
    Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Like the characters of this story, The Jasmine Throne is a book with many faces. It's about women who experience tragedy, and rather to succumbing to its effects, they sharpen themselves from it. It's about trust in the name of survival, and how love can screw it all up. It's about a conquered nation who is systematically being flushed out of their art, identity, and hope.

And it is about time for someone to do something about it.

While there are sporadic POVs, Prya and Malini are the backbone to
    Kristina (heartsfullofreads)
    Actual rating: 4.5 stars

The Jasmine Throne is one of my most anticipated releases of the year and Tasha Suri did not disappoint! The world she created was so lush and vibrant. I could picture everything clearly in my head. The magic and own world mythology was so original and creative. I was fascinated by all of it.

I also appreciated the complexity of this story. You get to see every side of the conflict through numerous character perspectives, not just the main characters. I thought this was qu
    Anna Stephens
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was extremely lucky to bag an early draft of The Jasmine Throne, and I can honestly say it's fantastic. Yes, it still needs an edit, but the core of the story is there and it is spectacular. It's everything you love about a Tasha Suri book AND THEN SOME.
    Exhilarating worldbuilding and magic systems, genuine threat and moments of horror, colonialism and resistance, monstrous people doing monstrous things for good reasons.
    Loved it loved it loved it.
    Silvia
    i heard there's lesbians ...more
    Stephanie
    Update at 60% of the way in: This book is ripping my heart out, and there is NO other author who would keep me reading something this emotionally intense when I'm going through my own stress issues in real life (family health issues) - but agggh, this is just so rich and so gorgeously emotional, vivid and raw in the way that it treats grief and trauma and love and the complexities of different kinds of power. I can't STOP reading it (even if I should)! And I want so badly for the two heroines, P ...more
    fanna
    Jul 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2021-releases
    October 28, 2020: look at that cover, oh my.

July 02, 2020: YES. I'm sad I discovered this so late but now that I'm here I can't stop imagining how sapphic this is gonna be and I'm all here for it.
    Mango
    Mar 30, 2021 marked it as to-read
    Awesome cover. Interesting synopsis. LGBTQ+ representation. And best of all, BASED ON INDIA! Anything based on Indian culture is on my to-be-read. I NEED THIS.
    aarya
    Tasha Suri has written two phenomenal books and I am freaking excited to read this, too.
    Lucie V.
    I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Orbit Books). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I am so excited to read this book! 😁🧡

RTC
    michelle (magical reads)
    rep: ownvoices Indian-inspired world and characters; lesbian protagonists
    cw: homophobia, gore, violence, execution by burning, forced drug use

I'M SCREAMING!!! head full too many thoughts idk how I'm going to review this!!
    theresa
    Sep 07, 2020 marked it as unreleased
    Shelves: 21-releases, wlw-mc, lgbtq
    this has an f/f enemies to lovers romance featuring 'a captive, vengeful princess and a priestess hiding as a maidservant' in an Indian inspired adult high fantasy and I am very excited!! (also they're vicious morally grey lesbians so i am already in love)

the tropes used (from the author's twitter): 'enemies to lovers (well, 'reluctant allies to lovers'), it's all about the yearning™, wet sari scene, secret identities, tragic pasts, ReVENGE, the imperialist patriarchy is bad actually, burn it al
    Eren
    May 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: fantasy, adult, 2021
    Guys. This book is published by Orbit, an adult publisher. Just because it’s sapphic, just because it’s written by a WoC does not make it YA.
    Lucie
    *Rated 4.5/5 stars

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Jasmine Throne is the first book in a fantasy series following a disgraced princess and a maidservant in possession of forbidden magic, who become unlikely allies to save the empire from the princess's traitor brother. It is an excellent start to Tasha Suri’s new fantasy series.

This trilogy is set in an Indian-inspired fantasy world, in the colonized nation of Ahiranya, where rebellion is bre
    Liz Barnsley
    Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    A new series from the powerhouse that is Tasha Suri, whose writing is vibrant, bold and unrepentant, especially in the forming of her indomitable female protagonists- The Jasmine Throne also has this same brilliance and the imaginative, sprawling setting is the icing on the cake.

Descriptively this novel is beautiful. The magic, the political landscape, the danger, all embedded into every page. Malini, a princess banished, imprisoned and kept in a drug induced other world because she refused to b
    Bhavya
    May 08, 2021 marked it as not-released-yet-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    I NEED this book now
    Anna
    Jan 08, 2021 marked it as unreleased
    I heard that there were lesbians, so here I am.
    Delaney
    Review for The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri

A huge thank you Orbit for the early copy and the opportunity to read and review it!

Summary:
    “Author of Empire of Sand and Realm of Ash Tasha Suri's The Jasmine Throne, beginning a new trilogy set in a world inspired by the history and epics of India, in which a captive princess and a maidservant in possession of forbidden magic become unlikely allies on a dark journey to save their empire from the princess's traitor brother.”

My Thoughts
    The
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor, #1)
    • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
    • For the Wolf (Wilderwood, #1)
    • Malice (Malice Duology #1)
    • Ariadne
    • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
    • The Beautiful Ones
    • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
    • A Dowry of Blood
    • Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #6)
    • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
    • Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)
    • Boyfriend Material
    • The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7)
    • The Getaway (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #12)
    • Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #8)
    • The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #9)
    • Double Down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #11)
    Tasha Suri was born in the U.K., but toured India during childhood holidays. She is now a librarian in London, and studied English and creative writing at Warwick University.

Burning Kingdoms (3 books)
    • Untitled