Start by marking “The Black Sky” as Want to Read:
The Black Sky

The Black Sky

Set in a dangerous post-apocalyptic, near-future Manhattan, THE BLACK SKY tells the gripping story of a group of survivors, some living in a lawless wasteland, others safely inside a walled city, caught in the ticking clock adventure of an extraordinary mission to save one man, unlock the truth of humanity’s near extinction, and risk it all to save the ones they love - a t ...more
Paperback, Advanced Reader Copy
Published August 28th 2020 by Reverbose

To ask other readers questions about The Black Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Sky

Start your review of The Black Sky
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Set in a dangerous post-apocalyptic, near-future Manhattan, The Black Sky (The Perseverantia Trilogy #1) by Timothy D. Minneci tells the gripping story of a group of survivors, some living in a lawless wasteland, others safely inside a walled city, caught in the ticking clock adventure of an extraordinary mission to save one man, unlock the truth of humanity’s near extinction, and risk it all to save the ones they love - a thrill
Rebecka Jäger
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a solid adventure in the spirit of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy. The Black Sky offers the reader plenty of action, and the level of military detail left me jealous. Timothy D. Minneci has invented unique near-future weapons, each believable: a microwave beam, a sarin drone; you name it! And the main character, Bishop, utilizes them with strategic ingenuity.

Bishop and Tessa, the main characters, are well-rounded and interesting- both ample survivors who have their hearts in the right
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

When the author approached me with a request to review this book, I pretty readily agreed. Want to know why? He appealed to The 100 fan in me, and apparently that is what it takes. This should surprise no one. But beyond that, I thought the concept was very exciting. And guess what? I was right! It was completely, unequivocally exciting! So let's talk about it now!

What I Loved:

►Like I
 caroline
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really good read, since 2020 I have started reading a lot of dystopian thrillers and this author brings a different slant to it. He has absolutely incredible ability to create future weapons which are so believable.

Off to research more by this author.

The main characters were very well rounded but also there was attention to the other characters so it felt very whole if that makes sense.

Kylie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read a fair bit of post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction (and have been one of the few to find comfort in it this strange 2020 we are having), but I haven't read one with such a military slant before(sure plenty have elements of it, or are even set in military contexts but this was different again). I am so very pleased that I gave this one a go.

An asteroid has hit Earth, and the world is dealing with the consequences. Minneci both thrusts you right in the middle of things, which takes some adjus
Jessica Sanders
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Post- Apocalyptic Manhattan, Bishop is Ex Military on an important, life altering extraction mission. Once he is successful his wife Tessa will be granted passage to the island safely. But of course it won't be a simple task in a lawless waste land that is now the world. Bishop is in for a wild ride, twists and turns at every corner, amazing hi tech machinery & weaponry that he uses with such ease it's almost believable it is real stuff [ha! Easily said for someone who is blindsided about that k ...more
Mary Eldridge
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book - the book is based in the future and is based on two characters Bishop and Tessa Dawes, They are married but live apart. Bishop works in Manhattan Island seawall, one of fifteen corporation-controlled cities across the United States in the post-asteroid apocalypse. Tessa lives in the danger's areas controlled by gangs. In order for Bishop and Tessa to be together Bishop has to work two years and pay a large debt to allow Tessa to enter the safety of Manhattan but is ...more
Debb
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this from Voracious Readers Only and this is my review.

An interesting take on the dystopia genre. Starts as a one man expedition to Bangor to bring back a Doctor to help the leader of the Manhatten city. Those inside live reasonable lives however it comes at a cost and that could take a lifetime to pay it back.

Our main character, ex military, Bishop Dawes is asked to make the journey to Bangor to bring back the only Doctor who could help the head of the Manhatten elite. He
Amy Korn
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a free copy from a new club I joined, Voracious Readers Only. I had zero expectations, having never heard of either the club or the author.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

The plot hooked me from the beginning and I found no boring parts. It was a genre I’ve read many times before: post apocalyptic, and at first it seemed like something I had read before, although I couldn’t pin down where. However, very quickly I realized this was unlike anything I had read before and real
Rachel
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I knew by the synopsis that this book would pique my interest, and it did not disappoint. I loved the post-apocalyptic world that Mr. Minneci created and the awesome use of futuristic weaponry. If post-apocalyptic thrillers are your thing, you will absolutely love this story. I loved following Bishop through this post-apocalyptic world. I can't wait to read more books by this author. I would most definitely recommend. ...more
Liz
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jen Michel
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I was wary of reading a dystopian novel right now due to current events, but I’m glad I did! I was hooked after the first chapter and didn’t want to put it down. The detailed descriptions of the weapons were lost on me, but other readers may enjoy. I look forward to the next book in the series!
Susan
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Post apocalyptic world ✔️
Villians who think they know what is best for everyone else ✔️
Good guy who just want to reunite with their wife and live happily ever after ✔️

Lots of layers of plot, that sometimes were accepted without much pushback from characters who I would expect to be more sceptical.

Overall a solid adventure with potential for future installments.
Rebecca
Fast paced Action from page one.

A great dystopian military thriller! I will definitely be looking forward to book two. This author hit a home run on his debut novel. It was an easy to read page turner. A definite must read for fans of Tom Clancy.
Michelle Pike
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book for me took a bit of time to get going however as soon as it did, I couldn’t put it down. Well worth a read.
Hy Tran
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is quite a "post-apocalyptic adventure"! Dark, but with some light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel (which isn't an oncoming train!).

It's a post "chicuxlub" (or however you spell it) adventure, with pockets of civilization and technology (but civilization is not the same as technology).

I really like the fast-moving and complex plotline. I enjoyed the protagonists--I thought they were interesting, and reacted well.

I'm a bit disappointed that my "willing suspension of disbelief" was broken several ti
Lori
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received as a review copy, this is an honest review. A beautifully written, emotional thriller that is filled with haunting revelations mixed with plenty of hope. Highly recommended.
Happy Booker
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The black sky is a post-apocalyptic story set in Manhattan. It is the first book of a trilogy, and the story begins with Bishop working off to clear his citizenship dept. An offer comes with a task. Bishop’s dept is cleared if she goes to the free city of Bangor and kidnaps a doctor who can save Manhattan’s CEO.

On the other hand, Tessa has had many years living outside the corporation- controlled cities across the US. Years of surviving in the lawless environment have had much effect on the prot
Amber
May 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Black Sky is a solid military-esque post-apocalyptic adventure novel with plenty of twists and turns to keep your attention. The plot summary of The Black Sky initially pulled me in because of my obsession with all things post apocalyptic/dystopian and it did not disappoint in that department. All in all it was an interesting and action packed read.
Archna
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
An extremely well written piece of fiction set in post- apocalyptic Manhattan. Bishop is an ex military member of the new city who is sent on an extraction mission, which once successfully executed, will allow his wife access to the island. His wife, Tessa, is outside the city and is in survival mode until she is able to secure entry into Manhattan. Much in the vein of Stephen King's The Stand, this book is eerily relatable, given the current state of global events.

Minneci clearly has great comm
Angie
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
You can check out my full review at mediadrome.wordpress.com

This was a pretty solid first novel. Although I feel that in the end, I just wasn’t the best audience for it, I still overall enjoyed it. Ultimately, I look for more by way of character- and world-building, but if you’re looking for a post-apocalyptic action-driven thrill ride, you might want to check this one out.

I received this as an advance review copy from the author.
Kristen Mancano
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Kerri
Nov 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A dystopian, militaristic story that will keep you tightly in it’s grip.

Back when I first started posting regularly on my blog, I was approached by the author of this book with an offer. It was the first review request I ever received and I was stoked! The fact that it was a science fiction dystopia made me even more excited to read it. I have to take a moment to thank Timothy Minneci for sending me a copy in exchange for this honest review. It was very much appreciated! I should also apologize
tim
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2021

as a reader, i like to use my imagination–like the majority. in order to accomplish that, there must be things left unsaid. this book is written with excruciating detail, and while i respect the author for this–i bet itʼs not easy to include that much information–it leaves little to imagination. it is hard to get truly involved with a book when all the facts are given. an example of what iʼm talking about can be this quote:
“With travel speed most likely cut in half, the trip through will be clos

Terrie
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to the author for reaching out and sharing his book - the opinions are my own.

This is a pretty quick read with lots of action - chase scenes and escapes and close calls. The dystopian story is set in the future when an asteroid hit has decimated most of the world and the US has consolidated into 15 walled cities. Everywhere else is a wasteland populated by gangs and thugs.

The premise is interesting: a man (with some former military experience) is asked to drive thru the wastelands, retrie
Jennifer (Yoda) Bishop
So, first thing, I did not finish this book. I could only make it to page 70. I did still give the book 2 stars because I do really think the story had a lot of potential!

I received a complimentary copy of it from the author through Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review.

As far as why I couldn't finish the book. There was way too much description for everything. I remember one scene in particular where the author describes how the guy was working a tablet. There were MANY more
Mrs LIR Linda
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
An interesting premise for a post apocalyptic thriller.

The book started really well with Bishop's story and how he was within the walls of the privileged city and his wife Tessa surviving outwith the Manhattan walls.

I really enjoyed both their stories and in particular I felt my pulse beating when Tessa is taken hostage and how she copes......

The story of the leaders of this world was a bit complicated or not clearly described and the crossing and double crossing was at times hard to follow.

I re
Engrossed Reader
The Black Sky did not live up to my expectations. The characters were inconsistent, the writing off putting and the plot inconceivable. The only redeeming feature was glimpses of new technology.

Full review on blog here

Blog | Twitter |  Instagram |  Facebook
Aleks
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
It was an okay read. The idea was quite original and definatley engaging. The worldbuilding was done nicely, however some of it dragged a little bit.

The action moved at reasonable pace and plot kept me interested all the way through. The characters were a little bit under developed and lacked depth at times, it as difficult for me to really care what happens to them.

Overall, good post-apocalyptic story, if you enjoy dystopian books you should give this a try.

I received the copy of this book f
Beth Graham
Jun 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Although I don't usually read this genre of book, the blurb immediately drew me in and I knew I had to try it. The book started off really well, I was a fan of the post apocalyptic Manhattan setting and I enjoyed the mission. I did find it a bit difficult to get through the last third or so of the book, I found that a bit slow for my tastes. I also didn't feel really attached to any of the character which is a shame. However, I did enjoy the ending so I am glad I stuck it out.

I received this as

• Timesnatched: Pole Star
  • Selfsame (Lower Earth Rising #1)
  • The Dream Defenders
  • Project Mothership (The Prince of Qorlec #1)
  • The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
  • Buried Secrets
  • Vox
  • Kingdom of Embers (Kingdom Journals #1)
  • Finding Miss Write (The Misadventures of Miss Write, #1)
  • The Concrete Vineyard
  • The Trellis: A Novel
  • A Feast of Phantoms (Lingua Magika, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Beezer
  • Floyd's Rule Book of Bad Grammar
  • Horn-Horn, Cracked (The Horn-Horn Series Book 2)
  • Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1)
  • The Last Wild
Timothy D. Minneci grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo, New York a devoted fan of John Carpenter, Steven King, and Bon Jovi. He has authored several non-fiction books and is the co-host of the long-running 1990s music-focused Dig Me Out Podcast. THE BLACK SKY is his first novel and was released in August 2020. He lives with his family in Columbus, Ohio.