Start by marking “The Saracen Storm: A Novel of the Moorish Invasion of Spain” as Want to Read:
The Saracen Storm: A Novel of the Moorish Invasion of Spain

The Saracen Storm: A Novel of the Moorish Invasion of Spain

Based on historical figures and events, The Saracen Storm is the sweeping saga of one of Spain's best-loved heroes and the role he played in the nation's darkest period: the Moorish invasion of its lands in 711 AD.
When nineteen-year-old Pelayo, the illegitimate son of the Duke of Asturias, is asked to lead a cohort of soldiers to hunt down a party of Saracen raiders, he s
Published January 15th 2020 by ISBN Canada (first published December 26th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Saracen Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saracen Storm

Start your review of The Saracen Storm: A Novel of the Moorish Invasion of Spain
Laurem
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! This definitely was a book for a history lover. This is was a new part of history for me. Though I've always known Spain's trouble with the Moors, I never knew when it begin.

I really loved Pelayo and Valentina. They both faced a lot trouble and sadness. I was starting to wonder if anything else bad could happen to him. Luckily, He always previeled.

This was a well written, good read. I highly recommend for history lovers!
David Canford
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read focused on the life of Spanish hero, Pelayo, who I had never heard of and of whom not a great deal, it would seem, is known. He is credited with leading resistance to the invasion by the Moors and keeping northern Spain out of their grasp. It’s a good ’swashbuckling’ kind of tale, albeit I could guess at the start of most chapters what was going to happen next. My main gripe is that it presents the invaders as uncultured barbarians, even though they would establish a society wa ...more
Richard Myers
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

This book is about the early invasion of Spain by the Moors (Islamic hordes). The character descriptions are very well done and I can picture them and the locations in my mind while reading. I recommend this book to everyone.
Mr A J Landeg
A good read from beginning to end.

I knew very little about the Moorish invasion of Spain.But this book has inspired me to learn more. It was easy to read and I would recommend it to anyone.
J Gemmell
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Very good read of political intrigue and treachery .Fast flowing with strong characters and good historical facts of the Moors in Spain .
Helen Hollick
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is always a pleasure to pick up a book set in an era that is rarely represented in historical fiction. In this case, Mr Nunez leads us back to the years around 700 A.D, Spain. At the time, Spain did not exist. The former Roman colony had been invaded by the Visigoths some centuries after the birth of Christ, but now the various Visigoth kingdoms are quaking under the advance of the Saracen conquerors. It is a confused time, a time when the Christians are pushed further and further north. It i ...more
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good! I’m not usually into historical fiction but I loved this book! The story was really exciting and I was totally captivated. The author manages to paint a vivid picture with visual descriptions while still moving the story along quickly. Plus it had an excellent romantic story line ❤️ super fun read!
Anne
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Saracen Storm by JM Nunez is a very readable historical novel about the incursion of the Saracens into the Iberia Peninsula in the early 8th Century. The leading character is Pelayo, who at the age of eight is taken to live with his father after his mother dies. We follow him, off and on, for the next 25 years as he maneuvers through a life in which his step-mother and step-brother hate him and make his life a misery, until his father sends him to war against the Saracens. He spends the rest ...more
Paul
Feb 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh!
Solid 2.5 stars, so I rounded up to three.
I don't know . . . *shrug* . . . I mean I finished it, so it wasn't all that bad. But I honestly don't know where all the four- and five-star reviews came from.
First, the story -- so many missed opportunities by the author. For example, when we first meet Diego, we see the skirmish coming and then the next chapter opens with the aftermath. Seriously? We don't get any fight details? What a perfect time to introduce the tactics and styles of each side.
Bruce Cable
Excellent Historical Fiction!

I found this to be quite an engaging book, and I'm so glad to have stumbled upon it. I am somewhat familiar with the historical Moorish invasion of Iberia, which the Moors named Al Andalusia, which is the country known today as Spain. I had just finished watching an excellent documentary named "Storm Over Europe: The Wandering Tribes," which told the story of the Germanic Visogoth's who conquered Spain, several centuries prior to the timeline of this book, so when I
Yosea
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of Pelayo of Asturia, the Iberian hero who defied the Moor invader and supposedly starting the Reconquista (though it will take another 800 years to finish). The book is well written, very descriptive and the author manage to keep the pace of story well. However knowing a bit of Pelayo story and the Moor conquest of Spain, feels like the author rather take more liberty than it should to to re-tell the story. Granted that this is historical fiction, but it seems that the author have aspirat ...more
Cindy Woods
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty good read!

I have read extensively about the Saracens versus Iberians 88th century wars. This is a great book recounting battles that may have been.

The plot of half-brothers of a Duke is done well with many interesting characters using historical data. I have to say the romance aspect was sorely lacking though. There was no feeling whatsoever in the characters.

Overall, this one is pretty good when you consider the military battle planning, and the depth of the characters are very limited.
Dan Dwyer
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Story of Pelayo comes to life

Spanish history has long interested me, and as far as its complicated relationship with the Saracens goes, it has to start with Pelayo.I
Nunez has written a fast paced historical fiction of this Spanish George Wash that is hard to put down. The descriptions of the battles will have the reader on the edge of their seats. Treachery among the Spanish nobles was a shameful aspect of Pelayo's attempt at uniting the remnants of resistance. Worse than this was the savage
Erwinpantel
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read

The story draws you in and doesn’t let go until the final page. The story has roots in the history of the very first elements of the Reconquista, although interpreted to make for an enjoyable and exciting read. I found that the book got me to research a bit into the historical roots that it is built upon and between the books information woven into the plot and the checking into the historical facts that I learned as much as I enjoyed from the book.
John Morris
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lively tale of heroics and treachery!

This was a real swashbuckling story of the Spanish hero, Pelayo, and his fight against the Moorish invaders. The tale of a half Basque illegitimate son of a Spanish duke, who's ascendancy from youthful debauchery to military splendour, was the stuff of legends. The author expertly wove a splendid tale around real historical events and produced a highly entertaining book. Well recommended!
gerry
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over 700 years of occupation

Moorish influence is everywhere in Spain, from the famous Spanish horses to the Andalusian territories, it's a huge part of the county's culture, language and architecture Yet what anguish and fear this occupation caused those who had long settled this country so many centuries ago. This novel brings history alive and learning about Palayo's life was for me very entertaining and educational.
Linda Johns
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a keeper!

I am 72, a history buff and I have read thousands of books. I have to buy a copy of this book! Great story, not a dull moment in this book. I could not put this book down. A brand new author for me to buy from. And best of all, the icing on the cake is no historical blunders! People would be surprised at the number of historical facts some writers make because they did not care enough about their book to double check historical facts!
Peter Barnett
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating Look at a Time Long Ago

I found myself constantly going to google to verify fact and fiction. I have never really followed this era. Basically, the book follows the general history of the Moor invasion. The characters were interesting and well developed making it a good read.
Linda Keefe
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Moved my knowledge of Spanish history in an area I knew nothing. Encouraged me to do more research on Spain in the 1700's. The book was a good read that I couldn't put down. Would read more books from this author. ..

Great read. Expanded my knowledge of Spanish history. Did more research after finishing the book. Would read more from this author.
Kathy
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful historical\fiction novel

This is a great historical,but with fictional characters of several battles between the English and Saracens over the land and power of who would rule the country. It is intriguing from page one through the end with great battle scenes. Kathy R. Blackman
Morris D
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for most readers

This book is part romance and part relatively mild military fiction. Given it’s historical underpinnings, the storyline has significant gaps in it, but the flow is not disrupted. As a mainly military fiction reader, my interest flagged at times, but I am glad I kept reading and finished it.
Olivier
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a thrilling, well-written saga. Each chapter got better and better, the story more compelling, the twist and turns kept me guessing, the story plunging me into another world. It has a moving romantic thread that runs through it and kept me turning the pages until I got to the very end.
Fred Manricks
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Couldn’t put it down. The characters were so real and the story line took so many unpredictable turns that it totally engaged me. Wish someone would make a movie of this story. Meanwhile, I look forward to the next book by this author.
Stephen
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read alot of historical fiction but this was a time period I'd not read much of before. This made it an extremely good and refreshing read. The character depth and the brilliant way the author wrote this made for a excellent read that I "just read one more chapter" well done! ...more
Vicki Revering
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and researched.

The characters are engaging and maintain their authenticity throughout. Both sides of the long conflict are explored and described very thoroughly.
steven martin
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good historical fiction!

Good characters and plot lines. Interesting information on the state of Spain before it was Spain. Not sure how historically accurate the conspiracies between the Spanish mobility and the Saracens were.
Nathan
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Outstanding!!

Outstanding novel about a time period rarely written about. Characters are well developed, setbacks are keenly felt while victories are savored. Hopefully another novel is in the works
Kaye Tuttle
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Saracens History

What a really great read. I learned I learned the history of the Moore's in Spain.Fascinating Recommendation for anyone Who is interested in Spanish history Learn so much I did not know
Cindy Marsch
(No rating because I edited this book.)

This action-packed account of a period of history I did not know before really drew me in, and Nunez skillfully made me care about the individuals caught up in one of the great waves of change in human history. Great read!
Rodger & Sarah McGuiggan
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great story of love, loss, betrayal and redemption

This is a wonderful account of family betrayal, love and redemption at the beginning of the Reconquista. Pelayo the hero goes from being nothing to becoming the only hope for his people!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Britannia World's End (The Last of the Romans #2)
  • The Eagle and the Dragon: A Novel of Rome and China
  • Odin's Game (The Whale Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood of the Khan (erilaR, #2)
  • The Wolf Hunt: A fast-paced, action-packed historical fiction novel (The Whale Road Chronicles Book 3)
  • The Last of the Romans (The Last of the Romans #1)
  • An Archer's Crusade (Lord Edward's Archer #3)
  • Roxolani (The Thrice Named Man, #8)
  • A Time for Swords
  • Illyrian (The Thrice Named Man, #7)
  • The Raven Banner (The Whale Road Chronicles, #2)
  • No King, No Country (The Inness Legacy Book 1)
  • Forged By Iron (Olaf's Saga Book 1)
  • Revolt Against Rome (Tribune Valerius & Centurion Marcellus #3)
  • The Lord of Valencia (Reconquista Chronicles Book 3)
  • The Northern Throne (Warrior Druid of Britain Chronicles #3)
  • The Last King (The Ninth Century #1)
  • The Wolf On The Run (The Wolf of Corwick Castle Book 3)
Jose M. Nunez is a writer residing in Montreal, Canada, with his wife, Mimi. Prior to devoting himself to writing, he was the president of a software company. While vacationing in Spain, visiting the northern province of Asturias, he came across the statue of an ancient warlord named Pelayo. Never having heard the name before, he spent the next few months reading everything he could find about the ...more