Start by marking “Experimental Marine Biology (Chemistry Lessons, #5)” as Want to Read:
Experimental Marine Biology (Chemistry Lessons, #5)

Experimental Marine Biology

(Chemistry Lessons #5)

“Just friends” is all Brooke and Dylan have ever been. (Except for that one night in high school, but they don’t talk about that.) Growing up, he was her protector. Her confidant. The one guy she could always trust.

Now she’s a marine biologist working toward her PhD in California, and he’s an underwear model in New York. Despite the distance and their wildly divergent care
Published June 15th 2020 by Haver Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Experimental Marine Biology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Experimental Marine Biology

Start your review of Experimental Marine Biology (Chemistry Lessons, #5)
Susannah Nix
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: authored-by-me

The wait is over!!!! Experimental Marine Biology is AVAILABLE NOW in ebook and paperback at all book retailers.

Who's excited to to meet Brooke and Dylan? I just love this childhood friends to friends w/ benefits story. I love that it features a brainy marine biology PhD student and a sweet-as-apple-pie underwear model. I love their lifelong opposites attract friendship that turns into something much more. Basically, I just really loved writing this book a whole lot, and I hope you enjoy reading
Hillary
Aug 26, 2020 rated it did not like it

This book played with my feelings. The synopsis led me to believe it was going to be a romcom that would speak to my heart and melt it at the same time. What did I get? Another romance where the main character is obsessed with the guy’s hotness and sexiness only *big sigh*
I can understand the instalust, they’ve been friends for a long time and they can skip a couple of steps, but to describe the way the guy looks 80% of the time they’re together? You can only describe it so many times
Danielle's
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Friends to lovers. The Marine biologists (student) and the model.

Brooke and Dylan have been friends for a long time. Now Brookes working towards her PhD in California and Dylan’s living it up in New York. Business has brought Dylan to California and he’s more than happy to see Brooke. When a little flirting and a lot of chemistry appears to be happening between them, it makes Brooke question why this never dated when they where younger.

Experimental Marine Biology is a sweet story with a deeper
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

This was such a feel-good book. This friends-to-lovers opposites-attract story was just what I was in the mood for.

I zipped through these pages at lightning speed. I couldn't get enough of this couple. The writing was delightful. It was easy to read and captured my attention. I love the way that the story was plotted out. Some parts were a little predictable but I still enjo
Leigh Kramer
Another great installment in this series! Susannah Nix’s books are such easy, enjoyable reads. I breezed right through this one and thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Brooke and Dylan. While there are a plethora of whale puns, thanks to Brooke’s work in marine biology, this is more serious in tone compared to the other books in the series so you should know that going in.

Fans of friends-to-lovers romances are certain to find a lot to love here. Brooke and Dylan have been best friends ever since
Kim
Experimental Marine Biology

Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

Whale, whale, whale... Experimental Marine Biology, the latest installment in Susannah Nix's Chemistry Lessons series of standalone novels, was exactly what I need in my life. It's no secret my reading hasn't been super great as of late. The books I would normally enjoy can't seem to hold my interest. It often takes me days to finish the books I am enjoying because my focus is totally shot. There's just too much going on in the world for me
Alana Bloom
Experimental Marine Biology is among my list of 2020 releases that I'm excited about! I am absolutely chuffed to have the opportunity to share my review with you on release day! If you have been looking for a sweet, friends-to-lovers romance with a lead female in STEM then this book (and series) is for you!

Nix expertly builds relatable, flawed characters and has long been an auto-buy author of mine. I LOVE reading about women in STEM and readers get a glimpse into the world of marine biology com
Jess (ireadergosum) Reviews
3.5 Stars! This was my first book from this author, but I've been curious about this series for a while! This story was cute and quick. I enjoyed the very real issues that Dylan and Brooke went through and their journey from friends to lovers to more. Both characters have some hold ups despite each having some really great qualities. Luckily, it just felt like they were meant to be as they interacted. Brooke's whale decorations were cute and good for a laugh too.
Also, if you're looking for a bo
Miramanee
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adore every single book in this series. This one included!

Brooke and Dylan have known each other for years. All they've ever been is "Just Friends". And that worked out perfectly fine for both of them.
Now their high school years are long behind them. Brooke pursuits her love for the ocean, working as a marine biologists in Los Angeles while Dylan is a famous underwear model in New York.
Then one day Dylan gets a modeling job in LA and crashes on Brooke's couch.
... And it was a total accident sh
Kellisa
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Lindsey (Bring My Books)
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
As this is the fifth book in the Chemistry Lessons series by Susannah Nix, I knew a fair bit about what to expect in this title, and in that I was not disappointed. Whereas I don't think this one hit me the same as previous installments (see: #1 Remedial Rocket Science and #4 Applied Electromagnetism), it was still enjoyable and I'm definitely ready for a sixth book!

(Also, if the sixth one is going to center around who I think it is - I'm DEFINITELY here for it. Enemies to Lovers is quite the fu
Misti
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I just didn't like this one so much. It's probably just me. It seemed short and there were 2 or 3 things brought up and then never really addressed, (view spoiler), so I was left a little dissatisfied. I have enjoyed all the other books in the series though and even re-read a couple when I need a pick me up. ...more
Anna Reads Here
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 20-may
The Chemistry Lessons series by Susannah Nix fell across my lap accidentally and now I’m obsessed with these women, their friendship and the men in their lives.

Synopsis: “Experimental Marine Biology” is the fifth book in the series and follows Brooke and Dylan. They’ve been best friends for most of their lives, but they’ve always been heading down different professional paths. Brooke is working towards a marine biologist PhD and Dylan has used his devastatingly good looks to become a gorgeous un
Brenda Brown
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Susannah Nix's books and this one is definitely a new favorite! I loved Brooke and Dylan. Their friendship is authentic and their mutual recognition of what they have in that friendship rang really true to me. I'm not going to lie - Dylan was downright swoonworthy and the tension between the two was delicious. Another fab book from Susannah! ...more
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Universal

Brooke totally does not think of her underwear model childhood friend, Dylan, as more than a friend. And that is a good thing considering he's going to be staying with her for a week while he's in town for a photoshoot. Yep...

Except of course there are more than friendly feelings between them and of course they act on them. Now the only question is whether Brooke will run scared when Dylan lays his cards on the table, or if she'll fight for them the way Dylan wants to.

Olga Godim
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
From friends to lovers is the theme of this charming modern romance. I read a regency on the same theme recently; it must be catching.
The story sports some interesting vocabulary choices, which spice up the narrative. The examples include dirty but irresistible slang - "his dangling participle". I'm sure you could guess what it is.
Another example comes from the scientific biology lingo - "sessile bivalve lifestyle." I needed to look it up to understand the meaning.
The characters appear
Bex | TotallyBex.com
The Chemistry Lessons series proves that women can be supportive friends, they can hold their own in male-dominated fields, and they don’t necessarily take the traditional path to fall in love.

The fifth book of the series, Experimental Marine Biology, is a smartly-written, sweetly charming opposites attract friends-to-lovers romance. The characters are witty and endearing, and the banter is funny and intelligent, making it a fun read overall.

Brooke is an LA-based marine biologist, working on he
Lauren
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Experimental Marine Biology, and I sincerely enjoyed it! I always love Susannah Nix's characters, because they're so realistic; they all have flaws, and seem like people we could meet in our every day lives. And of course, her heroines are all in STEM, which is so refreshing! I love reading about different aspects of the STEM areas, because I didn't pay much attention to it while I was in school. I love being able to use what I love (reading romance/ fiction) to learn about ...more
Kristen Lewendon
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love seeing best friends transition to be something more. It’s almost the same kind of catnip for me as a second chance. And when it’s a pair that have been friends for as long as Brooke and Dylan have, it’s kind of extra special. I loved watching Brooke defend her introverted lifestyle. In a world where extroverts get the glory, it was nice to see someone quiet take center stage for a change. Dylan is everything that makes up the best book boyfriends: he’s sweet and caring and very perceptive ...more
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
I love these books with women in STEM fields. This is the second one I’ve read in this series and I really enjoyed it, a best friends to lovers book and the best friend is a sexy underwear model. Not only that, but he’s in touch with his feelings, knows exactly what she’s thinking, and reads romance novels! It seems the normal gender roles are switched in this book. Brooke is going for her PhD in marine biology and she is partially estranged from her family due to something that happened in the ...more
Kate (kate_reads_)
Jun 15, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: dnf-2020
DNF at 32%. I have really enjoyed most of this series - especially book 4 Applied Electromagnetism. If you haven’t read that, you are missing out and should go do it right now!

Unfortunately, this one didn’t work for me. Dylan is a successful underwear model living in NY who comes to LA to visit his childhood friend Brooke. She’s a marine biologist who is working on her PhD and is very ambitious. However from the moment she learns Dylan is coming to visit we stop hearing about her career goals an
Ashley Chang
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all - its a fun, smart, romantic comedy with a lot of emotional depth covering school and career anxiety, romance, family dynamics, and mental health.

Susannah Nix's superpower is creating detailed, specific, and accurate settings for her characters, while making her characters highly relatable. She knocks it out of the park again with Experimental Marine Biology. I loved the incredible detail Susannah includes about Brooke's research, and her depiction of what its like to work
Juliette ~Between Books~
This is a sweet story with raw feelings. I love how their relationship developed and how I was able to connect with the characters.

*Warning: This is written at the beginning of the book. "This book touches on certain subjects, including abortion, parental illness, and disordered eating, that may be difficult or unpleasant for some."

"I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book."
Jen Luerssen
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fun, emotional, and sexy ride from Susannah! I love a good science nerd lady and she always delivers. My heart is always open to a second chance/friends to lovers story too. If you are looking for a smart, funny, and sweet romance give Brooke and Dylan a chance.
MB
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

I enjoy Susannah Nix's writing. She is clever, witty, and her intelligence shines through. This book had all of those elements and while a good quick read it seemed to lack something for me. I like the friends to lovers troupe, but if I had to really nit pick; because again this was a cute book to read, it seemed a bit rushed and I think it lacked the normal depth and that deeper connection I have come to adore in Susannah's writing.
Karin
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute story that had a good about amusement mixed in. Dylan and Brookes friendship to more was suppose to be a no biggie while he was paying his best friend a visit but that no biggie turns into much more when they catch major feelings.
Crystal
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Brooke and Dylan’s story is a great friends to lovers book. They are both needing more than their work and a week together turns into something special! I loved it!
Mavi
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
objectively, this is probably not a 5 stars read. HOWEVER it made me feel a lot of things and i really really really enjoyed it 🥺
Kimberly Lund
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, do I love a good friends to lovers story, and this is such a good one. I’m a particular sucker for childhood friends and this pair is so fun. Brooke is lonely without realizing it, and Dylan is swoon worthy both on a physical and an emotional level. The story of their love is fun and heart breaking and everything you want in a good romance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• My Favorite Souvenir
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • Sweetest in the Gale (There's Something About Marysburg, #3)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why
  • Stranger Ranger (Park Ranger, #2)
  • 高嶺と花 7 [Takane to Hana 7] (Takane & Hana, #7)
  • Cutie and the Beast (Cipher Office, #3)
  • The Secret of the Château
  • Carpentry and Cocktails (Green Valley Library, #5)
  • What I Like About You
  • Finding Perfect (Hopeless #2.6)
  • Close Enough to Touch
  • The Life You Stole (Life, #2)
  • American Panda
  • Finding Sky (Benedicts, #1)
  • Unexpectedly Yours
  • In Darkness, Look for Stars
Susannah Nix is an award-winning and USA Today bestselling author who lives in Texas with her husband, two ornery cats, and a flatulent pit bull. When she’s not writing swoony, relatable romances, she enjoys reading, cooking, knitting, and watching British mysteries on TV. She is also a powerlifter who can deadlift as much as Captain America weighs.

Join Susannah's mailing list for the latest upda

Chemistry Lessons (6 books)
  • Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
  • Intermediate Thermodynamics (Chemistry Lessons, #2)
  • Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)
  • Applied Electromagnetism (Chemistry Lessons, #4)
  • Elementary Romantic Calculus (Chemistry Lessons #6)