Start by marking “A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)

A Portrait of Loyalty

(The Codebreakers #3)

Zivon Marin was one of Russia's top cryptographers until the October Revolution tore apart his world. Forced to flee to England after speaking out against Lenin, Zivon is driven by a growing anger and determined to offer his services to the Brits. But never far from his mind is his brother, who Zivon fears died in the train crash that separated them.

Lily Blackwell sees the
Published September 8th 2020 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about A Portrait of Loyalty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Portrait of Loyalty

Start your review of A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
Melissa Tagg
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty much obsessed with Roseanna M. White's books. I devour everything she writes. I've loved this Codebreakers series and I really thought On Wings of Devotion, the previous one in the set, would end up being my favorite in the series. (Phillip the pilot!! *insert heart eye emojis*) But oh my goodness, this one just became my new fave for several reasons: I have an obsession with Russian history so Zivon's storyline, the plot with the Bolsheviks and his broth ...more
Deanne Patterson
I am so happy to be done with the Codebreakers series in the sense that I loved it so much and enjoyed every page I read. I am sorry to see it end though.
Please,please do yourself a big favor and even though each book can be read as a stand alone I highly recommend reading the series from the start as the books all come together and you will much better understand the stories.
Though a fictional series it's based on true events and happenings and I so much appreciate all the hard work and researc
Jocelyn Green
I am pretty sure this is the sixth book by Roseanna M. White that I have read this year, so I may sound like a broken record gushing again, but I love this author. I'm so impressed by her. A Portrait of Loyalty is a lovely conclusion to The Codebreakers series. As always, the history and characterization shine.

This little piece of dialogue from p. 272-273 sticks with me: "Who said love had to be shackles? I'm not trying to hold you anywhere, force you to do anything. This is a gift. . . I hope
Carrie Turansky
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of A Portrait of Loyalty by Roseanna White and really enjoyed it. It's been a great series set in England during WW One. The characters were very unique and the twists and turns in the story kept me guessing what would happen. The narrator did a great job with the Russian and British accents. Well written and highly recommended! ...more
Toni Shiloh
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m a big fan of Ms. White’s books and an even bigger fan of The Codebreakers series. Although I knew I’d enjoy this book, I wasn’t exactly sure what about it would capture my attention. Let’s just say the character depth of Zivon and Lilly is what impressed me.

I loved how Lily saw the world with a photographer’s eye and inspired those around her to do the same. I loved how cool and calm Zivon was (outwardly) but his mind was going a hundred miles a minute. I found myself looking for these littl
Rachel McMillan
she makes it look easy and my mom always told me that the most talented people make it look easy.
Joleen
Whew. All three books within this series have been wonderful. I thought each was better than the last, but I’m hard pressed to pick a favorite.

1918, London England
Main characters
Lily Blackwell, photographer aiding the navy
Zivon Marin, Russian escaping the Bolshevik revolution
Ivy Blackwell, Lily's sister, grade school teacher
Evgeni Marin, Zivon's brother, a Bolshevik, unbeknownst to Zivon
Admiral Hall, Lily's boss
Father Evgeny Smirnov, Catholic priest helpful to Zivon
Barclay Pearce, from previou
Abigail Harris
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you know the best thing about a favorite author coming out with a new book? That a favorite author has a new book.

Do you know the worst thing about a favorite author coming out with a new book? Reading it in two hours.

Wow, I love how "A Portrait of Loyalty" is not your usual WWI story.

There's romance, there's intrigue, there's hope, there's sadness, there's just so many emotions, thoughts, and feelings spinning through your mind as you read this new masterpiece from Roseanna M. White.

I highly
Ruth
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the redeeming factors to be found in 2020 is that this year saw the release of books two AND three in Roseanna White's The Codebreakers. While A Portrait of Loyalty is the final installment - a fact I am loathe to acknowledge - this novel is a gorgeously-writ capstone to White's World War I-era fiction. Here White introduces Zivon Marin, a Russian royalist who fled to England to escape Bolshevik persecution. A master cryptographer, he is determined to offer his services to England and wor ...more
Sarah Monzon
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. Roseanna White is simply the best. I’m going to miss Barclay Pearce/family and al the Codebreakers. Sooooooo good. Just... I’m gushing in my mind, y’all. Can’t do her or her work justice with a simple review. Just read them all!
Rachelle Cobb
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
I have been a big fan of Roseanna's writing style for years, and I've read almost all of her books! Any new release of hers is an automatic add to my to-read list, and this book is no exception.

What is exceptional is that A Portrait of Loyalty quickly toppled to the tippity-top of my mental rankings of all her titles and is now my favorite of all.

The hero with his Russian accent and mission to put down roots in his new country while still serving his homeland -- swoon.

The heroine with her skill
Paula Shreckhise
How could I not give this book 5 stars. It is beyond excellent.
With all the polish of a John Le Carre novel, Roseanna White concludes her Codebreakers series.
Although this story depicts a different era, it reminded me of Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. From the nesting Russian dolls to the altering of photographs, this story is full of interesting references to the spy game.
Characters patterned after real people are fascinating and Ms. White crafts them well. Zivon Marin had to flee Russia and
Amanda Tero
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lily and Zivon’s story was the perfect ending to this series. It was more sweet and solid than suspenseful, compared to the other books. Also compared to the other book, this one seemed a little more distant from the actual war than the others, but perhaps that’s because it was toward the end of the war.

Being a hobby photographer myself, it was fun to learn facts about photography from WWI and I especially loved the work Lily did for the war effort.

And the Spanish Flu! Having recently researche
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Zivon Marin is either the greatest asset or the greatest enemy I've ever encountered. I think he is the first. But I can't dismiss the possibility that he is simply more clever than I."

And that was the real question, wasn't it? Who was Zivon Marin? Friend, foe, or merely a man fleeing one terrible side of a war in order to aid the other. The problem was, who was going to believe him in any scenario? Fortunately, after fleeing Russia and making it into England Zivon has been given a second chanc
Camy
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ereader2020
What a fascinating historical romance! I was initially drawn toward the codebreakers aspect of it, but the hero’s escape from Russia and the history of the revolution made for an exciting backdrop for the plot.

I loved how Lily was portrayed, and how she saw the world with her eye for photography. The photographs she chose to take, the things that captured her attention, spoke volumes as to her personality and character, and made her incredibly likeable. Her secret job creating falsified photogra
Kate
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an ending to this series. I was intrigued by both Zivon and Lily after their appearances (however brief) in Ara and Camden's story, so I was looking forward to seeing their own story unfold in this book.
I really liked how both Zivon and Lily were believers, yet each had things they needed to work on to draw closer to God, and how they encouraged each other in that way. I also really liked how their relationship grew naturally from being friends first.
The suspenseful element, especially
Loraine
What a wonderful conclusion to this series! Zivon Marin was one of Russia's premier cryptographers until the October Revolution sent him off to England to escape the Bolsheviks. Fortunately, he was hired on by the British as a beginning cryptographer in the intelligence division as World War 1 continues. Lily Blackwell sees life through her camera lens but has been recruited by the intelligence division to retouch and recreate images to confound the enemy.
When their paths cross, will their live
Kriste
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved learning more about Russia, the revolution and the start of Bletchley Park! I wanted more about Margot ;) but this was an amazing conclusion to Codebreakers!
Nicole
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Roseanna White knows how to deliver a well-balanced story that inspires, intrigues, and entertains! This book is one that draws you back (if you reach the point where you have to put it down), demanding to be cracked open again and again for more. I loved the characters - Zivon is absolutely endearing with his quiet nature and observant ways, which allow him to prove his loyalty and genuine care through intentional actions and well-chosen words. And Lily is a heroine to root for as she navigates ...more
Faye
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and timely read, set against tumultuous First World War.

Lily Blackwell is a skilled photographer who not only knows how to take good pictures, but how to edit them. Her father is well connected in the Navy, while her mother shuns the political use of the arts. She wants to do something that matters, putting her skilled eyes to work. I loved how supportive her family is, though they might not always see things the same way.

Zivon, one of Russia's top cryptographers, fled his home co
Melissa
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If your ever craving a fantastic historical novel, look no further than Roseanna M. White! She writes with such authenticity, passion, and faith that you will be drawn in and glued to the pages until the end. A Portrait of Loyalty is the third book in the Codebreakers series and it is absolutely enthralling. Lily is a photographer that works with the British Admiralty to retouch and photoshop (before photoshopping was a thing) pictures, helping with the war effort. Her skills are unsurpassed and ...more
Mikayla
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had so many mixed emotions with this book. I knew I would like the main characters from the first couple of chapters. Zivon was an awesome guy, and Lilly fit with him perfectly. I loved all the references to photography and seeing characters from previous books. <3 The strong family was also epic. You don't often read a book where the characters a whole family and actually gets along with all of them. It was really nice to read!
The ending was very bittersweet. I won't give spoilers, but I got
Victoria Lynn
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Portrait of Loyalty was a beautiful tale masterfully woven the way only Roseanna M. White can.
Her writing always leaves me breathless and stunned in the way that she can bring people from different backgrounds with specific quirks that filter into the way that they think and makes the characters distinct and put them together in a way that is so beautiful.
I found the themes and descriptions of WW1 politics, battles etc quite poignant and the parallels between then and what is happening now in
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This series is so good! I love historical fiction and these stories have a fresh take on lives in intelligence during war. This one was a bit different as it dealt with pictures instead of codes but happened in the same building as the other books so previous characters were still around and involved in this story too. I think these books can stand on their own but I would highly recommend reading them in order. They are all so good.

I loved Zivon. LOVED him. The way he thought things through and
Melissa
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-audios
This is a lovely conclusion to the Codebreakers series! After having been with these characters for 9 books(3 series!) I am sad to say goodbye but this finale was just about perfect. It has been exciting following these characters through World War 1 and their contributions to the war effort. Lillian and Zion were fun to meet and I enjoyed seeing their relationship grow. Lillian’s photography skills were such a cool element and it was neat to see how a skill like that could have been used back t ...more
Erin Laramore
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I'm looking for a brilliant historical novel, I know I need to look no further than Roseanna M. White. I've learned a lot about the WWI timeline from these past 2 series that she has authored. While this is book 3 in the Codebreakers series, it can be read as a stand-alone. However, they do go in chronological order (and the main characters from books 1 and 2 make cameos in this book as well), so if you're going to read them all, I would read them in order - otherwise you're reading the war ...more
Heather Wood
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
How often have you ever considered the perspective of Russians during WW1? For me, never. In fact, I had to get a history lesson from my husband after starting this book because I didn't know anything about Russian history during this time except like, Anastasia. 🙈

Zivon Marin and Lily Blackwell are both on the fringes of Room 40- their skills are necessary, but they're excluded from the camraderie of the team. As both have secrets and a unique way of looking at a situation, they are drawn togeth
Staci
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
In the final novel of The Codebreakers Series, readers are exposed to how altering photographs played a part in WWI. Quite interesting. There is also a glimpse of the impact of the Spanish Flu during this time period.
BlueJeansAndTeacups
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
***EXCELLENT END TO THE WWI SERIES***
// Zivon Marin / Evgeni Marin - Two Russian brothers battle for what they believe is right and just for the future of the world, each shrouded in covert operations during the war. "He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder: he burneth the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

// Lilian Blackwell deals in her own c
Malia Saldaña
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-books

• To Steal a Heart (The Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency, #1)
  • Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles, #1)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath #1)
  • A Castaway in Cornwall
  • The Prince of Spies (Hope and Glory, #3)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • The Love Note
  • A Cowboy for Keeps (Colorado Cowboys, #1)
  • The Gentleman Spy (Serendipity & Secrets, #2)
  • A Haven for Her Heart (Redemption's Light, #1)
  • The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love
  • Her Secret Song (Brides of Hope Mountain, #3)
  • Tidewater Bride
  • The Light at Wyndcliff (Cornwall, #3)
  • The Thief of Blackfriars Lane
  • Nothing Short of Wondrous (American Wonders #2)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • To Dwell Among Cedars (The Covenant House, #1)
Roseanna M. White is a bestselling, Christy Award nominated author who has long claimed that words are the air she breathes. When not writing fiction, she’s homeschooling her two kids, editing, designing book covers, and pretending her house will clean itself. Roseanna is the author of a slew of historical novels that span several continents and thousands of years. Spies and war and mayhem always ...more

The Codebreakers (3 books)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)

News & Interviews

“The world may still look dark, but if photography had taught her anything, it was that there was always more light to be found. Sometimes you just needed to change your lens. And sometimes you need a flash. Neither ever changed what was really there... but it showed it in a new way.” 17 likes
“Look for the beauty in a thousand silent moments.” 15 likes