Start by marking “The Road Home (The Letter #2)” as Want to Read:
The Road Home (The Letter #2)

The Road Home (The Letter #2)

Praise for The Road Home
I loved this riveting tale of hope and redemption. The Road Home comes to life with gorgeous imagery and a setting that eased me seamlessly and beautifully back and forth in time. Each character stood out, coaxing me into her story, making me want more. With the turn of every page theres a revelation, something hidden or something wonderful and
Kindle Edition
Published June 23rd 2015 by Oakglen Press

To ask other readers questions about The Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Home

Start your review of The Road Home (The Letter #2)
Julie Valerie
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. For complete coverage of this and other titles, visit: www.julievalerie.com/kathleen-shoop/

Clocking in at almost 500 pages (484 to be exact), this hefty piece of historical fiction managed to land in my reading schedule during a very busy week of summer. But despite my crazy life, the story of Jeanie Arthur, James, Katherine, Tommy and Yale brought the theme of motherly love to the forefront of my thoughts.

THE ROAD HOME
vvb
Got a dose of some prairie living and the hardships involved. Experienced life in a slower pace.

The story is told through the eyes of three characters which provides a good overview of the times which is late 1800's into the early 1900's. What struck me was how their strong family ties was such a source of strength and hope.

Loved how letters were emphasized in this story. I found it amazing how letters were such a strong form of communication back in the day. These days most snail mail consists
Renee
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of the book fromThe Summer Reading Challenge for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

I have to start this review by saying I am not a fan of historical fiction at all. When this 491 page book showed up for me to read I dreaded it like having a tooth pulled. I was not thrilled. I just knew I was going to suffer through 491 pages of this book. Well I was wrong!! I enjoyed this book much more than I ever thought I would.

The Road Home is the second book in Kathleen
Sharon Martin
Having read and been fully captivated by the first book in the Letter Series. The Last Letter, I have been eagerly awaiting this second book and couldn't wait to jump in. If you haven't read the first book don't worry as it can be easily read on its own as the author refers back to previous events, BUT in all honesty you will be missing such a touching story, the heart of what they have gone through whilst also getting to know the captivating Arthur family even more.

This is a story of love,
Elizabeth Towns
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately swept into The Road Home, surprised to find that Kathleen Shoop brought us right back into the Arthur family where we left them in Book 1, The Last Letter. Thats not to suggest this is not a book that stands on its own, because it is but if you have read Book 1 from the Letter Series you recognize that Katherine has been battling a lot of mixed feelings about her mother, and now, having had the chance to learn more of her while she is ill, this daughters anger and judgement ...more
Shelly
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions below are 100% my own.

I am jumping into this series without reading book one so I feel that I lost a little of the characters but within a few chapters, Kathleen Shoop's writing makes you feel like you've known them for ages! The family's story of being torn apart gets a hold on your heart like a vice and makes you hurt and ache for the situation.

Relationships between parents and children are often complicated
Tracy Helps You
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Road Home is the 2nd book in The Letter Series by Kathleen Shoop. Although it continues the story of the Arthur family we met in The Last Letter, it can easily be read as a standalone book as well.

I love reading historical fiction. Kathleen Shoops style of writing does a wonderful job of teaching her reader about the way things were during that time period while engaging us with a well told story. She does a great job bringing each character to life you really feel like you know and care
Natalie
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Kathleen Shoop novel and it will definitely not be my last! Although I have to admit, when I first opened the book to see it had 496 pages, my eyes got a little wider, and I thought to myself that there was no way I would get through it, it just seemed a little longer than most books I have read, and I thought it would take me forever, but how silly of me, it didn't matter.

Set out in 1905 in Des Moines for the funeral of their Mother, the story goes back and forth to 1891 to
Michele
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a heart rending story of a family torn apart by forces beyond their control. Written in a way that will grip you and not let you go.

And the saga continues...In Book 2 we learn about what the lives of Katherine and Tommy were like after they were set from their Mother's home to board. Katherine had it the worst and has a very hard time forgiving her Mother until her Mom is dying and she is asked to care for her youngest sister who will probably never be able to care for herself. Katherine
Ashley Dawn
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good historical fiction! The family is torn apart. Their mother must live without them and Tommy and Katherine must learn to survive alone. Alternating between past and present, the story unfolds of family and their constant struggle to reunite.
I wasn't certain about how long it would take me to read this book as it looks a bit lengthy when you pick it up. Once you start reading though, the pages fly by and soon you are at the end and wishing for more. I felt the heartache as mother had to be
Carolyn Menke
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Shoop has poured all of the elements that I love about womens fiction onto the pages of The Road Home, a heart-wrenching tale of a mothers ever-present love for her childreneven in death. Shoop deftly weaves the stories of a mother, a daughter, and a son into the tapestry of one familys history. She shows all of the ways love binds and strengthens, and how it is as deep and pure and raw as the prairie they survived.

The story unfolds from different points in time, awash with rich
Gina's Library
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I received this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. My opinions on this book are 100% my own.
This is the second book in the The Letter series. I have to honestly say I enjoyed the second book more than I did the first book.

My heart broke for Jeanie. I cant imagine having to live without my children. That is just something no parent should ever have to live through. Katherine and Tommy are forced to do whatever it takes to stay alive and find their way back to their mother. The family
Laura Frost
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Historical fiction is a genre that doesn't get a lot of exposure lately. The Road Home is a book that deserves all the fan fare we can muster. Many times I see the early 1900's glossed over so that you only see the romance of the era. As everyone knows, life is not all glitz and glamour. The Road home shows us the nitty gritty down and dirty parts of life.

We follow the separate stories of Katherine and Tommy (14 year old twins who have been separated and placed into boarding homes) and their
Teresa Kander
It took me a while to get used to the idea that chapters went back and forth between characters and between time periods--sometimes I had to go back to a previous chapter to get the thread of the story again. Since this is the second book in the series, and I didn't read the first, I wonder if I might have had more of a connection by reading the original first.

In spite of that, the stories of the children and their mother over the years are very well written. Some of the situations described are
Jessica
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every journey is worth to the road in going home

They say no place like home. Wherever you are, home is always the best place. Road Home by Kathleen Shoop is very emotional journeys for the siblings Yale but especially Katherine and Tommy.

Life is short and very precious. Life is also unpredictable. From rich to being poor, the siblings life is turned upside down. I feel badly for them. The book is so emotional, heart-breaking but oh so good. Kathleen Shoop is one amazing author.

Rod Home is
Mave
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end! It 'so well-written, compelling that I could not put it down.
The plot is uniquely and gorgeously developed. Two children Tommy and Katherine were separated from their mother Jeanie when they were 14. Their life will be tough and difficult but all of them will fight very hard to reunite the family. The story is narrated by alternating the point of view of three main characters: a narrative choice really winning.
It's the second book in " The
Algene
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have read the first part of the Love Letter series, then you will surely love this second book :) While it may be read independently of the first one, it is still better to have read the books in the series simultaneously. I love how the character of Katherine evolved. It amazes me how she was able to find a better understanding of everything that her mother went through. I felt happy knowing that something inside her started to let loose.. I will recommend this book for everyone. It ...more
Angela McKinney
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked to this book from the beginning. I really love how well Kathleen Shoop can take me back in time. It is a book with awesome character development and very vivid descriptions. I really enjoyed this follow up to The Last Letter. I am a person that really enjoys history and sometimes even think I was born in the wrong century. The Road Home made me really want to be in the 1800's. It is a must read for anyone who loves history and a good story of hope and redemption. Loved it!
Lisa Ryan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved this book!
Sirilee
It should come with a warning that you need to read the book #1 first to understand what has happened. So many references to past events without spelling out what and when. (This would natually be annoying to those who had read the first book.) Consequently, it became tedious reading, expecting to find out what had happened to James and how Katherine ended up married and Tom a minister. I also found moving back and forth in time little jumpy, not flowing naturally. Again a book that would have ...more
Patricia S Winchel
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Wrenching Family Loss & Recovery

I am sure I might have appreciated this book more had I read book I. However, the author did not make enough effort to bring the details of the events of the first book into this one. For that reason, even though this story was intriguing and heart rendering, I have no interest in reading book 3.
Kirk
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Masterful range of characters and emotions

Author effectively developed diverse characters over a duel timeline. The well developed characters ranged from those with pure intentions but having their flaws to the unbelievably cruel. Love, determination, perseverance, greed, lust and redemption all played key roles in keeping reader super engaged until the end.
Mary
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sequel to THE LAST LETTER

I enjoyed reading more about Jeanie Arthur and her family.
Although this book wasn't as good as the first in the series , I do recommend it for readers who fell in love with this family.
The repetition and editing errors are annoying.
Terri
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Road Home

The Road Home is the second book in The Letter Series. I had trouble liking the characters in The Letter, but The Road Home had me totally engaged in their lives. Off to book 3!
Debbi
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeanne feels like she's lost everything when she has to board out her twins and her grief for James is still all consuming. Then, in 1891, she receives a letter that would change their lives. Liked this one better than the first book. On to book #3.
Debra H. Wruble
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Timeless

Wonderful storytelling weaves the lives of family members as they are separated by sudden poverty and their struggles to be reunited. Very interesting characters and imaginative details.
Hettienne Marx
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding Talent!

It is truly spellbinding. I admire the author's ability to keep the thread of the story alive in each and every character and time-frame.
Herb
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
loved the story. I found the story and characters riviting. liked the way it went from the past to the present.Enjoyed the honesty of the main characters. couldn't put the book down
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 00-own-a-copy
Free on Kindle
Theresa Power
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Another good book unbelievable how these people survived the ordeals they went through but their faith helped them to survive
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 14, 2015 11:12AM

• The Image Seeker (Bold Women of the 20th Century, Book 2)
  • No Woman's Land: A Holocaust Novel (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
  • Looking for Clara
  • The Art of Love (The Golden City, #1)
  • The Vanishing of Dr Winter (Posie Parker Mystery, #4)
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • In the Company of Like-Minded Women
  • The Opposite of Dark
  • Frozen Butterflies
  • Casa Clara
  • Auld Acquaintance (Prime Time #1)
  • First Wave (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #1)
  • Sons of the Pope
  • I Know Your Every Move (Sophie Brown, #1)
  • The Lost Valley (The Tasmanian Tales #2)
  • Life in the Dead Lane (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #2)
  • Chloe - Lost Girl (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hollow Crib (Magnolia Parish Mystery, #1)
Bestselling author, Kathleen Shoop, holds a PhD in reading education and has more than 20 years of experience in the classroom. She writes historical fiction, womens fiction and romance. Shoops novels have garnered various awards in the Independent Publisher Book Awards, Eric Hoffer Book Awards, Indie Excellence Awards, Next Generation Indie Book Awards and the San Francisco Book Festival. ...more