Start by marking “Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic” as Want to Read:
Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic

Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic

In the vein of Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist and Issa Rae’s The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, but wholly its own, a provocative, humorous, and, at times, heartbreaking collection of essays on what it means to be black, a woman, a mother, and a global citizen in today's ever-changing world.

Published December 8th 2020 by Amistad

Start your review of Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic
chantel nouseforaname
Oyinda
Book 17 of 2021! And, first nonfic book of 2021!

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO SO MUCH!

Trigger warnings for mentions of police brutality, miscarriage, loss of a loved on, racism, and microaggressions.

I've been seeing this book everywhere on Bookstagram, even long before it's release, and I'm so glad to say it's worth all the hype. This an amazing, insightful, educational, heartbreaking, and hard hitting collection of essays about the reality of being a black woman in the world we live in today.

The essays
Lou
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GIRL is a provocative, humorous, and, at times, heartbreaking collection of essays on what it means to be black, a woman, a mother, and a global citizen in today's ever-changing world. Black women have never been more visible or more publicly celebrated than they are now. But for every new milestone, every magazine cover, every box office record smashed, every new face elected to public office, the reality of everyday life for black women remains a complex, conflicted, contradiction-laden experi ...more
Mina
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved learning about how life in the UK is for Black people, because I did think it was better just because it does appear that way. However, this memoir shares how there is racism still in the UK and the impact it has upon the life of the author. This book is gorgeous and full of much needed Black Girl Magic. It made me proud of my heritage as well, having the chance to read and share this with other Black women. Echoing the words of other prolific Black women was great too, reminding me of a ...more
Jessica Haider

In her new essay collection, author Kenya Hunt with the help of a handful of other authors, discuss what it means to be a Black woman in today's world. The essays are all thought provoking and are often humorous. They explore everything from what it means to be a Black woman in American vs. England to what it really means to be a "bad bitch". In the collection, Hunt shows vulnerability and discusses how there are more ways to be a Black woman other than the "Strong Black Woman" persona.
Apoorva
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Girl Gurl Grrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic by Kenya Hunt

The more feminist books we read, the more we realize why feminism is actually needed, especially for Black Women. This book is a celebration of Blackhood not just for women but also men.
The author manages to touch upon a range of topics but with a touch of humor as well as perspective.
There are notes on milestones or even small steps taken by actors like Chadwick Boseman, voluptous black models, black hair br
Trey
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin? This is the first nonfiction book that I just “couldn’t put down.” It was like reading the story of my life. It feels good to not be alone in a lot of life experiences. READ THIS BOOK! If you’re a non-POC, READ THIS BOOK! I can’t begin to talk about how good, real, and raw it is. I laughed, cried, was angry, but most of all, felt seen.
Tiffany
I loved the second half of this book much more than I enjoyed the first half but this was therapeutic for me. All of the questions and life decisions that this author made in regards to raising a black boy in America spoke volumes to me. The honesty throughout the book in the desire to shape her children's world view was hopeful yet almost overwhelming for me as a black mother who is also raising a black son. This book highlighted many things that I go back and forth on in my journey as a women, ...more
Rachel Matthews
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GIRL by Kenya Hunt is a wonderful read particularly for black women. It was interesting for me as a black Brit to read from Kenya's perspective - a black American living in England. While Kenya had some unique insights, perhaps most interesting of all was discovering that American black women and British black women face many of the same challenges despite the ocean between us.

Hunt's collection feels current with references made to the pandemic and to Kamala Harris who was, at the time of writi
Book Reviews By Tara
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this brilliantly written body of work, author Kenya Hunt tackles heavy topics with a matter-of-fact flare that make it’s content easy to digest.

In this collection of stories Kenya celebrates the beauty of black women, while also shining a much needed light on how we are often disregarded within this racist world in which we reside. Reading Kenya’s words made me feel seen and understood.

The topics discussed vary from black beauty, to the mortality rate during childbirth of black women versus
Karen Ashmore
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
A collection of essays by Black fashion editor Kenya Hunt. Most relate to pop culture: an analysis of the word “woke”, what Wakanda means to Black community, being one of the few Blacks to sit on the front row at a designer fashion show, the origins of the hashtag #BlackGirlMagic. But also delves into miscarriage, motherhood and micro aggressions of living while Black in London. However, the most thoughtful essay was the epilogue which examined police brutality and the responsibility of raising ...more
Eniola
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gurrrrrl!
”Girl” is a series of essays discussing black womanhood. Described in the blurb as “part memoir, part celebration of womanhood and blackness. ”Girl” is about thriving when the odds are stacked against you”.

Gurrrrrrl!
I’ve been an admirer of Kenya Hunt for years. A Fashion Queen that I stan, but wow (insert clapping emoji’s). So glad that Kenya put her thoughts and pen to paper or fingers to keyboard to compile this essay collection.

Gurrrl...
It’s clear that Kenya poured her whole self in
Bree
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
“My race made me stand out in the fashion industry, so I refused to dress to fit in”

Kenya Hunt, a Mother, a Wife, a Fashion Director and A LOT more. Gurrrrrrrl is a badass boss and has a hella strong voice.
Katie
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read. I was nervous that this book wasn't intended for me, but I was wrong. This book helps lend a strong base for alliance work and support. Hunt seeks to inform, motivate and change the reader, and I learned so much from it. ...more
Tasha
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Girl by Kenya Hunt is a fantastic collection of essays with topics ranging from motherhood, baby loss, sisterhood, religion, the fashion industry and above all, what it means to be a Black Woman.

I loved it. Kenya's writing style is so easy to follow. The essays are interesting. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes funny, always honest and brilliantly written. I love being inside the mind of someone else. I love hearing about people's experiences, about their lives, especially when they are so dif
Olivia Fink
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, giveaway-wins
Received Arc in exchange for a honest review

The story starts out with a introduction written after she wrote rest of the book. It covered the topic on many peoples mind, Covid-19, and nicely tied it in with the theme of the whole book. The first essay of the book explained the book’s name. I truly enjoyed understanding why the author picked the title because when I first read the title I was curious as to why this name. The author wonderfully writing took us through her experiences good and bad
J Earl
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic by Kenya Hunt is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. And make no mistake, the parts are very good.

I'll try to explain what I mean by that comment. Like any collection of essays (of which a few are written by others) there will be some that are stronger than others or speak to the reader more. This is no different, though there wasn't, for me, any bad or even borderline essay, just some that spoke
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. I loved a lot of things she discussed but the writing wasn’t that engaging and there were other things that felt repeated from other books that I’ve read but just not as interesting. I wish this would’ve landed for me because the topics are so important but I’ve read them better elsewhere.
AJ Payne
Really solid series of essays on social commentary and memoir. Some I found to be much stronger and more powerful than others, and especially liked the essays from guest authors. Overall enjoyable, though not the top set of essays on race and gender I’ve read in the past could of years. I’m definitely interested in more by this author though!
Vern
I hated for this book to end! Empowering is an understatement! The honesty of these women was so touching. I listened to this book which I think made it even more amazing. It was like having conversations with a range of dear girlfriends that you’ve known for years.
Dimple
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So, so, so good! Written and published during the pandemic, Hunt explores the myriad of emotions and experiences black women in America endure, such as what it means to be woke in the digital age, racial oppression, and how these women find strength in vulnerability and in each other.
Tabitha
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

“Girl, Gurl, Grrrl" is a collection of essays written by Kenya Hunt and other black writers, including Candice Carty-Williams, author of "Queenie." Hunt takes us through her experiences as a black woman in the United States and the UK. She details how it felt at times to be the only one like her in the room, especially in the fashion industry.

She tackles different topics, such as womanhood, motherhood, Black Girl Magic, racism, and police brutality. She starts her book off with an in
Allison Berkowitz
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This. Was. Wonderful! I so enjoyed hearing the author’s perspective on a variety of issues (culture, race, motherhood, etc.) from the lens of a black woman, looking to lift up other black women.
Alyssa Scott
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-audio
I honestly didn't know who Kenya Hunt was before this book, and that is a shame. I learned so much from her words and experiences and would recommend this book to everyone, especially as we approach Black History Month. She beautifully illustrates the nature of intersectionality and the importance of activism to further more "official" DEI work in every industry. ...more
Devin Moran
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
For every two chapters that were boring, there was one that fascinated me. Most notable was the chapter on motherhood. As a “girl, girl, or grrrrlll” I felt that this chapter best embodied the many layers Black women respond to as mothers/nurturers. Loss, joy, expectation, fear all of it made sense and was expressed in layering narratives very well.

Most of the book is centered in year 2020, so intersecting pandemics are discussed at length (which you may or may not be ready for yet). I scowled
Chantelle Hazelden
In the year where we saw the Black Lives Matter movement heighten, there has been a focus for us as a world to learn more, to do more.

And not just white people, I mean all people. No matter the colour of your skin, you can never know it all.

Kenya Hunt (the author) is a fashion director of Elle, she is what I'd describe as a proud Black American woman living in London. And this book, her book “Girl” is I guess an accumulation of essays written by not only herself but other black writers too.

This
Malgorzata Narog
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thanks to NetGalley for a privilage of reviewing the ARC. It was a pleasure and I really enjoyed it.

Kenya Hunt is a fashion director of Elle, she's a Black American woman living in London. Her book “Girl” is a bunch of essays written by her as well as other black writers.

It explains how it is to be a black woman in modern times. It's a true celebration of Black girl magic. Some of the topic talk about motherhood, the “otherness”, differences in being Black woman in States and the U
Nicole Shaw
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 🍷 🍷 🍷 🍷
Book: Girl Gurl Grrrl: On Womanhood and Belonging in the Age of Black Girl Magic
AVAILABLE NOW!!!! December 8, 2020
Author: Kenya Hunt
Genre: Biographies & Memoirs/OwnVoices

Sipping Synopsis: This was a book that was a much needed read for me.
It was an easy read but felt so good to see some of my thoughts, feeling, experiences on paper. I enjoyed every chapter, from the oh-so-well written chapter on being WOKE to microaggressions, #blackgirlmagic, hair, black women not getting sam
girlmeetsbooks_
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Initially I thought this was a novel, but I was pleasantly surprised by the short essays. I appreciate that there were so many women telling their experiences of being Black in this world, and how it affects everything on such a grander scale than just ourselves individually. The essays were heartfelt, and I found myself many times saying, "girl!, giirrlll, or grrrl" because I personally identified with those situations as a black woman or have heard them in my own personal circle. For the topic ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Piranesi
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
  • If We Were Villains
  • You Had Me at Hola
  • Golden Child
  • The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes
  • Heiress for Hire (A Duke's Heiress, #1)
  • Abroad (Penguin Specials)
  • You Goddess!: Lessons in Being Legendary from Awesome Immortals
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Union: A Democrat, a Republican, and a Search for Common Ground