Start by marking “Separate Lives” as Want to Read:
Separate Lives

Separate Lives

Was it marriage for money or love?

Gwen Shaughnessy's marriage to Brad Robilliard, the cold, controlled founder of Robilliard Enterprises, was a business deal strictly for money. If they stayed together for one year, Brad's uncle, a misguided matchmaker, promised to solve both their financial problems.

Gwen filled Brad's ordered life with domesticity and fun, while he awaken
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #2793, 192 pages
Published August 25th 1986 by Harlequin Romance

To ask other readers questions about Separate Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Separate Lives

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)

Latest review - Yes, a book that passes the re-read test!
Adorable, adorable, adorable is the word for Max, Bomber and Gwen. Ummm, while Brad is the as-remembered swoonilicious sob.
I'd have preferred if he had gone after her sooner - both times.
A/N: Doubly swoonilicious sob Trace and the sweet Allegra are so obviously dying to be shipped. But there's no other book by the author.

1st Review - god i just found this old time fav of mine....dint remember Gwen/Brad's names but never forgot max n bombe
Saly
Rating 4.5
What a delightful book & the best part it had kittens. They both get married for convenience but it becomes so much more, they become friends & lovers & I loved Gwen and how she treated Brad & changed him. The ending was mighty sweet as well, though there was mis-communication at the end, their love for each other was never in doubt.
Kiki
Cheesecake
5 harlequin style stars (you know what I mean)

Gwen the girl who gives as good as she gets and Bradley the guy who keeps underestimating her.

Leo plays matchmaker for his goddaughter Gwen and his nephew Bradley, tricking them into a one year MOC. She has hospital bills (which by the way is complete horseshit... I mean this is supposed to take place in Canada for cryin' out loud... Hello author... OHIP in Ontario aka national health care. Unless you are getting plastic surgery (elective) or want a
Alexis-Morgan Roark
ANOTHER BIRTHDAY BOOK SPREE READ...I LOVE DOLLAR BOOKS...although, I did pay $10 for 20 books. :-)

It took me several attempts to get into this book, but I am glad I finally got into it. What a treasure! Smart, funny, sexy, heart-warming, and ABSOLUTELY NO CHEATING-although, he did try to make her jealous. I kinda missed the cheating-sick, I know!!

Anyway, our young heroine (turns 21 in the book) is more mature and less naive than the older HP heroines of late. Go figure! She's feisty, gives as go
Vintage
Very sweet story of a MOC set up by the godfather to the heroine, uncle to the hero.

Essentially the story evolves around Gwen's sweet nature dissolving the ice that surrounds Brad, or as the h calls him, Bradley. It may be the most unromantic hero's name ever. Lots of miscommunication and dropped leads with secondary characters that seemed like they were going somewhere.

The ending implies a sequel would be coming regarding Bradley's equally shut down brother, but sadly this seems to be the only
Leona
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hqn-presents
It's a fun book. I really enjoyed the hero and heroine and their oh, so, interfering family. The ending seemed a bit rushed..and I wished she would have settled for more in depths scenes versus a lot of scenes with little depth.

Booklover
Enjoyed it,adored Gwen-Brad,liked the way story progressed and finally they clear the MU and have their HEA,looking forward for Trace's book but i want Leo to be paid for his actions,hopefully get it in Trace's book.
Dalia
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was quiet a surprise !!!! A MOC between a feisty h w/ lot of backbone, a scarred H ruthless from the outside, tender from the inside. The h stormed into H s well ordered life & turned it upside down! She is like a ray of sunshine, she transforms his sterile app into a real home, she brings home 2 kittens, persuades him to do his share in cooking & even baking, and forces him to quite his bad habits (like smoking in the living room) their relationship develops beautiful
Chitra *CJ*
"Separate Lives" is the story of Bradley and Gwen..and is everything I ever want..& love in a HQN romance.
Bradley is a workaholic cynic, who is blackmailed by his uncle Leo to marry his god-daughter Gwen in lieu for financial support to his company..but Gwen doesn't know.
What starts as a purely professional and platonic relationship slowly morphs into love..
I LOVED THIS BOOK. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!
From the way the characters are written- the reasons behind Brad's distrust and Gwen's need for f
LIA  Kh.
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
very old school and sweet.
Jenny
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable book, I love a good MOC story.
StMargarets
I liked it well enough. There was a lot going on with this marriage of convenience - some light-hearted stuff with kittens and plants - and darker stuff with the grandfather and the family business. Sometimes the tone seemed uneven.
Shatarupa  (Shaina) Dhar
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Based in Vancouver, Leo Bennett, uncle of Brad Robilliard, proposes a marriage between Brad and his goddaughter Gwen Shaughnessy. This is his condition to help both of them, as they need his financial assistance. His motives are not clear, though, behind this one year marriage of convenience.

Ahh... This book has that old world writing charm.
I was of one mind with Gwen's friend, Kelly, I just couldn't agree with the motivations for marriage of both the parties; marriage for money, really?
This is
Annarose
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Su
Oct 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Boring and juvenile.
Cherise
I don't really know what happened. I love the first half of the book but things went downhill from then on. Pretty good first effort and it is disappointing this author didn't write more for a potentially good series.

I really adore this h. She is very aware of her actions and wants all along and her decisions were all made after she had a thorough examination of her thoughts. Very well put together and even when her actions are to follow her heart, I didn't once feel like she is a doormat as she
Pravana
A lovely book. Read it a long time ago. Owned a copy too.
أجمل زهرة
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
مترجمة للغة العربية بعنوان ايام في العذاب
ممتعة مضحكة وانصح بقراءتها.
Diamond
Jun 28, 2013 added it
Shelves: أحلام
أيام في العذاب:
ليس ممنوعاً على الفقراء أن يحلموا لكن هل هناك حدود للحلم !
كان أوسم رجل شاهدته أليسون نظرت إليه من بعيد وفكرت أنه أبعد حتى من أحلامها، ولكن ماكس هاوتورن اقترب منها وقبل أن تستيقظ من المفاجأة قال:
- آنسة فيرلاي ، أعرف أنك بحاجة إلى المال وأنا على استعداد لتوفيره لك مقابل أن تتزوجيني زواجاً أبيض زواج ! هل هذا الرجل مجنون زواج أبيض أيضاً ، وهل تستطيع أية امرأة البقاء بعيداً عن ذراعي رجل كهذا لكن أليسون لم تكن تملك مجالاً للاختيار أو للتفكير , فهل تقبل العيش مع رجل لا يرى فيها إلا فأرة
Mary-jane
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
That was surprisingly good! I didn't expect most of the book to be the growth of love during the marriage and i love it!
I even love Max and Bomber, they sound so cute and all (i don't really like kitten)
L H
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
April Brookshire
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequin
Marriage of convenience where sweet heroine wins over serious, business-minded hero.
Roro
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best harkequin I ever read
Nenya
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
note to self: corinne is not the ow. don't know who the brunette was, that he was dating 2 months ago, but corinee had not been a gf. :)
no other ow drama.
  • The Failed Marriage
  • Silence Speaks For Love
  • Comparative Strangers
  • The Spanish Groom
  • Blackmailed Bride, Inexperienced Wife (Innocent Wives #3)
  • Marriage: For Business or Pleasure?
  • Except My Love
  • A Heartless Marriage
“Money could be found, worked at, saved. But the spirit, when gone, was gone forever.” 6 likes