Start by marking “Basics of Spellcraft (Ember Academy for Young Witches #1)” as Want to Read:
Basics of Spellcraft (Ember Academy for Young Witches #1)

Basics of Spellcraft (Ember Academy for Young Witches #1)

Ancient curses. Blocked memories. And an Academy for young witches that might just hold the answers.
I should have known something was wrong when my weird aunt arrived in town just as I started getting killer headaches.

But how was I supposed to know that it was a sign of repressed magic?

Or that an ancient witch had escaped her tomb and sent demons after me?

Demons
Published January 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Basics of Spellcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basics of Spellcraft

Start your review of Basics of Spellcraft (Ember Academy for Young Witches #1)
Jude
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the surface, Amy (Amelia) is like every other sixteen-year-olds – albeit with ADHD – yet in a rather short period of time, she finds out that she’s a Witch and also that maybe she’s attracted to other girls. Or at least to one other girl, Natalie, who is part-Witch part-Vampire. And maybe another, Willow, who’s half-Elf. No wonder she’s confused. Then there’s the matter of the curse which put her mother to sleep and no one seems to know how to wake her.

I loved the atmosphere of this book.
Kaye
ONE AWESOME ADVENTURE!!!
Crap on toast! Mawson ups the ante', lowering the boom with this action packed, hard hitting, heart pounding, pulse racing, block busting bombshell, nailing it down, blowing this little fella into the eye of the storm, throwing this baby into a tailspin with astonishing results. A churning vortex of unexpected events and daunting surprises fuse this gem together seamlessly. Combating the drama, intrigue, danger and soaring suspense as tension spirals, blasting this little
Douglas Williamson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our heroine is new to this whole magic thing, but if people say magic is what hurt her family, then she is going to learn to use it to fight back.

This is the start of a new magical academy story and it features a lot of the usual coming of age elements. That being said, I also found the overall storyline and characters to include enough fresh elements that I did not think I was reading the same old thing once again. The story is well written and includes a fast paced plot with lots of surprises,
Scarolet Ellis
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Basics of Spellcraft by L.C. Mawson is a wonderful story that I have loved reading. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series that I loved reading and can not wait for book number two. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about magic, fantasy and LGBT romance.

Phoebe
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On the run from demons, Amy is hidden at the Ember Academy for Young Witches. Now to tell her what she is.

Amelia, aka Amy, has always been different. She suffers from ADHD and her brain processes information at a faster pace than other kids her age. She is trying a new medication, but the side effects are horrific headaches.

One night while out with her parents, cousin, and her Aunt Jessie, they are attacked by demons. Demons that say they want her! They slice her Mom’s throat and curse her
Andrea Thompson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun adventure with some great new mythology around a witchcraft academy and a student who is just coming into her powers and learning about the world of magic around her.

I figured out some of the twists before they were revealed, but that was just part of the fun! I can't wait to see what the next installment for Amelia holds!
Kylie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BASICS OF SPELLCRAFT is the first book in the Ember Academy for Young Witches YA Urban Fantasy Academy series. If you love kick-ass heroines, Sapphic slow-burn romances, and magical boarding schools, you’ll love this latest fast-paced series in L.C. Mawson’s Snowverse.

Molly
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amy has severe ADHD, and was very neuroatypical . After a band of demons attack and curse her mother, she leaves with her auntie to go to a new magical academy.

Amy faces not only beginning to understand her magic and sexual orientation, but struggles to understand the tangled demon and angel hierarchies

Lies aplenty make her vulnerable to dark forces. More challenges lie ahead by powers and groups she does not really understand.

An exciting epic adventure!
Karen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the start of a series set in the same universe as the Freya Snow books. Freya is not in this book, but she figures pretty heavily as she’s mentioned several times. There’s an awkward romance; the girl who kissed her is at the school. They talk about it but remain tentative friends.

I enjoyed this even though I figured out who the real culprit was pretty early although I didn’t guess that person’s ultimate identity. This is a fine beginning to the series which introduces multiple
Jenna
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Basics of spellcrafts deals with complex issues like race, sexuality, mental health, gender, disability, race and many more in a refreshing way.

L.C. Mawson novel is well written with a diverse range of characters, someone will find a character they relate to.

Basics of Spellcraft is an enjoyable "academy" style YA romance novel. If you enjoy magic and fantasy novels you will love this book.

ARC given for an honest review
Kristina Lovel
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm hooked! I can't wait for book 2. I will most likely also be purchasing all of her other books in the snow verse series.
Cindy Stein
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, lesfic-ya
Amy (Amelia) was born to Human parents but learns through a tragic incident that she is actually a witch just like her aunt and her foster sister who has disappeared. With her mother in a curse-induced coma, Amy enters Ember Academy, a school for witches and other magical beings where her aunt has become a teacher. Determined to learn enough magic to break the curse placed on her mother, Amy is tutored by another teacher. All of this occurs at the same time that Amy is contending with her ...more
Rose Brown
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Basics of Spellcraft” is an amazing paranormal tale that is well-written with interesting new characters. The main character Amy who thought she was human only to find out that she is a witch like her aunt begins a journey of discovery at the Ember Academy, an academy for witches. This fast-paced tale has family drama, a curse, mean girls, new friends, and suspicious instructors. I loved this tale and the characters. It was the kind of book that draws you in and kept you excited to the last ...more
Richard Goodrum
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This story has several delightful characters: Amy (Amelia, Lia), Natalie, Charlotte, Lena, and Willow to name a few. The lack of trust in this story is incredible. The story, while good, was a bit too predictable.

Easy-to-read. Entertaining. Tragic. Twisted. Wonderful characters.

I received a copy of this book as a gift. This is my honest review.
Sandra Gillespie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy mystery and magic then you’ll love this book. The beginning of Amy’s journey as she not only comes to terms and embraces being a witch, uncovers family issues she didn’t know she had, and the realization of her sexuality is a fantastic story. Couple all of that with a group of new friends, the head mean girl on campus as an adversary, and a teacher that has a hidden agenda, you have a heck of a good time. I can’t wait for Book 2!
Shannon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book with a determined main character, a curse that has to be broken, and a school whose waters she has to navigate while knowing nothing about her past.
Trish Strong
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starts out with a bang and gets right into it. While connected to the Snowverse series you don't have to have read them to enjoy this book.It is a quick read with lots of action and some interesting little twists.
Martin Hall
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review to be added post holidays, but this was a good one.
Robbert
Bea LaRocca
Jan 10, 2020
Shelly Peterson
Jan 10, 2020

• Vicious Royals (Nocturnal Academy Book 2)
  • Survival (The Hollow, #1)
  • Born Broken (Broken Angel #3)
  • Sunsets and Shades
  • The Polar Bear's Baby (Honeypot Babies, #1)
  • Winter Love Songs: A holiday novella
  • Reaper's Blood (The Grimm Brotherhood, #1)
  • Shifted Fate (The Wolves of Forest Grove Book 1)
  • Dragons and Destiny (Animage Academy, #1)
  • Love Like Crazy
  • Prime (Riftkeepers, #1)
  • The Goode Governor: A Lesbian Romance Series (A Goode Girl Lesbian Romance Book 1)
  • Wolves of the East (Northwest Wolf Pack #2)
  • Next in Line for Love
  • CEO Wife (Married for a Million Book 2)
  • New Moon (Alpha Wolf Academy, #1)
  • Once Upon a Princess (Once Upon a..., #2)
  • Dolmire Academy of Spells
Some say she's an ancient creature of nightmare that was unleashed from beneath the ocean, come to devour the souls of men. Others say that she's a cosmic being from the beyond the stars that has taken corporeal form to learn our ways for some unknown end...

In truth, L.C. Mawson lives in a tower in the middle of a haunted forest, far from civilisation and is definitely not a witch who curses those