Start by marking “Bones: Inside and Out” as Want to Read:
Bones: Inside and Out

Bones: Inside and Out

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A lively, illustrated exploration of the 500-million-year history of bone, a touchstone for understanding vertebrate life and human culture.

Human bone is versatile and entirely unique: it repairs itself without scarring, it’s lightweight but responds to stresses, and it’s durable enough to survive for millennia. In Bones, orthopedic surgeon Roy A. Meals explores and extols
Published October 20th 2020 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Bones: Inside and Out
Bill
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy books like "Gulp" by Mary Roach and "Cannibalism" (by some guy with the same name as me) you should seriously consider Dr. Roy Meals incredible new book "Bones: Inside and Out". Dr. Meals has taken a sometimes complex topic and turned it into a fascinating, entertaining and jargon-free adventure.
Debbie
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Received via W. W. Norton Company and NetGalley in exchange for an completely unbiased review.

I'll preface this review by saying I knew absolutely nothing about bones. I could tell you that it’s the hard stuff that holds our bodies vertical, that they sometimes break but eventually heal and it’s where our red blood cells come from, but beyond that? Nothing.

Bones is a book that is for the initiated and uninitiated alike, although granted the initiated will find that 90% of the content of thi
Kim McGee
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
An all encompassing view of all things bone. How does an infant's shinbone measuring 3 inches long end up at about 18 inches long in most adults? What happens when you get a stress fracture? These are just some of the questions you might have that will be answered along with many more body miracles that you might have just taken for granted. Half of this book is devoted to the historical background , innovations in science and some odd places where you would find old bones. The other half is sca ...more
Tawney
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book compliments of W.W. Norton through the Goodreads giveaway program.

Almost immediately upon starting this book I learned the word hydroxyapatite. Without even trying. It's that kind of book.

Dr. Meals has assembled an amazing amount of information about bone. The first chapter may seem a bit too academic, but it is the basic information about bone that you need in order to understand much of the rest of the book. The style is conversational after that. From what bone is; what
Steve
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is how science writing should be done

I loved this book. It has everything I want in science writing: plain explanations, conversational tone, a little bit of the author’s journey, and a fair amount of humor.The book was hard to put down and is at least as good as “The secret life of bones” by Brian Switek, but has a slightly more medical tone. I recommend “Bones” for anyone interested in science.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book via Netgalley for review purposes.

Catherine
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who loves science or is in the medical field then they will love this book. Having worked in hospitals for many years it was great to see names I’ve heard off in this book. It also had reference to bone scanning which was one of my roles. (Although I would have liked a bit more on that subject)
Really informative and actually a very interesting read.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the arc in return for an honest review
Kelley
Jul 23, 2020

• House of Leaves
  • Until I Find You
  • Gone Before
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • The Wig, the Bitch & the Meltdown
  • Gray's Anatomy Puzzle Book: Think you know your cranium from your clavicle? Tibia from your trachea? Think again…
  • Ways to Say I Love You
  • Box 88
  • The Vow
  • Sister Dear
  • The Vatican Conspiracy: A completely gripping action thriller (A Marco Venetti Thriller Book 1)
  • Come Hard (Club Silken, #1)
  • Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics
  • The Coast-to-Coast Murders
  • The S.S. Officer's Armchair: Uncovering the Hidden Life of a Nazi
  • Inge's War: A German Woman's Story of Family, Secrets, and Survival Under Hitler
  • Home Stretch
Roy A. Meals, MD is a clinical professor of orthopedic surgery at UCLA. The author of several medical books, he has practiced, researched, and taught hand surgery for forty years. He has served as president of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and has also been on the editorial board of the Journal of Hand Surgery for most of his career. He lives in Los Angeles, California.

News & Interviews