Start by marking “Dare to Speak: Defending Free Speech for All” as Want to Read:
Dare to Speak: Defending Free Speech for All

Dare to Speak: Defending Free Speech for All

A must read. --Margaret Atwood

A vital, necessary playbook for navigating and defending free speech today by the CEO of PEN America, Dare To Speak provides a pathway for promoting free expression while also cultivating a more inclusive public culture.

Online trolls and fascist chat groups. Controversies over campus lectures. Cancel culture versus censorship. The daily hazard
Audio CD
Published July 28th 2020 by HarperCollins (first published May 5th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Speak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Speak

Start your review of Dare to Speak: Defending Free Speech for All
Dawn Michelle
This is a must read for everyone. When my mind stops reeling, I may be able to write a better review.
WOW.
Wei Mon
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Things learned from this book:
It's fine to be racist with friends as long as you choose your words carefully in public.
If you think your intent is fine, then don't worry about the consequences of your speech.
You shouldn't say that being subjected to hateful speech is "violence", but it's totally okay to call people who are asking for accountability "mobs".
The general public should not have the power to cancel people & restrict opportunities, but rich white people have been the gatekeepers for so
Corvus
Sep 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Whoooh, boy, is this one going to be a doozey- and not in a good way. I virtually picked up "Dare to Speak: Defending Free Speech for All," from the library because it was available and I needed something to pass the time until my intended books became free. Before this, I had never heard of Suzanne Nossel, nor her organization PEN America of which she is the CEO. I knew going in that I might not like it as much of the free speech discourse these days comes from white supremacists or white neo-l ...more
Ann
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtfully written and practicable guide to understanding, utilizing and promoting matters of free speech. It sure got my noodle going and I suspect it will help me ask my seniors engaging questions during our Free Speech unit in French class.
Michael
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Free Speech Fell Out of Fashion
By Michael Maiello

What if all the good free speech has been defended already? The United States government hasn’t gone after James Joyce, DH Lawrence or Theodore Dreiser in a long time. While the occasional local library might perk up against this book or that, it seems like the real free speech fights are all about Twitter running the right wing QAnon conspiracy group off of its platform or whether Ann Coulter or Milo Yiannopoulos can visit a college campus.
Joy
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Rogers
Not what I was expecting.

2.0/5
Graeme Rodaughan
Aug 05, 2020 is currently reading it
Recommended to Graeme by: margaret atwood
Recommended to me by Margaret Atwood on Bookbub.
Kaley
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books should definitely be read as part of discussions on free speech; however it suffers serious issues from its organization.

Part IV is by far the strongest section, where practical problems and discussions are discussed in full. Through the first 2/3 of the book, I was frustrated, constantly asking, what about "this" and "hasn't the author considered x and y", all of which was answered in the last 1/3rd of the book.

There is also a lack of detailed explanation about the true differences b
Marge Congress
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Very scholarly discussion which is made easier to understand by many examples of the principles she is writing about, this book about the First Amendment and its many permutations and occurrences brings many ideas and thoughts to the reader. My recommendation is to skip the introduction (really hard to read), and read only one big section at a time. At the end of a section she does a few bullet points for you to remember. Read those till you understand them, wait a few days, then continue.

The a
Mark
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free speech, like everything else in life, is “complicated.” This author lays out, with clarity and manifold examples, the nuances of the issue. In a very evenhanded way, she explains free speech issues from historical, legal, cultural, governmental, economic and social points of view. A first-rate approach to a very timely issue. 3.5*
Groucho42
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The problem with this book is twofold: If you're aware of the subject, there's nothing new; while if you're not you probably won't read it. All it does is preach to the choir about how important free speech is to a democracy. Also, while it does try to remain unbiased and talk about issues off correctness and ignorance on the left and the right, it does clearly come from a liberal perspective.

One thing emblematic of a problem that both sides hold is an early example. The author points to how pr
Ginna
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accessible but not simple. Answered questions I didn’t know I had, revisited questions I felt I understood in greater depth, and discussed the way free speech has evolved to the present moment. I found the discussions of social media responsibility enlightening. After reading this book, I feel like I should do more to seek out a breadth of information sources on current events, so I’m embarking on a TV news watching adventure. We’ll see how it goes as election 2020 and NoFacebook November approa ...more
Jinia
Oct 21, 2020
Cheryl
Sep 29, 2020

• The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
  • Twilight of Democracy: The Seductive Lure of Authoritarianism
  • The Shadows
  • Entitled: How Male Privilege Hurts Women
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Foundation: The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors (The History of England, #1)
  • Five Torches Deep RPG
  • ZZT (Boss Fight Books, #3)
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
  • Shovel Knight (Boss Fight Books #19)
  • The Madman Theory: Trump Takes On the World