Start by marking “Whirligig” as Want to Read:
Whirligig

Whirligig

Just outside a sleepy Highland town, a gamekeeper is found hanging lifeless from a tree. The local police investigate an apparent suicide, only to find he's been snared as efficiently as the rabbit suspended beside him. As the body count rises, the desperate hunt is on to find the murderer before any more people die. But the town doesn't give up its secrets easily, and who ...more
Published March 26th 2020 by Fledgling Press

To ask other readers questions about Whirligig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirligig

Start your review of Whirligig
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poetry meets crime. Cleverness weds blood. If you want to know what Whirligig is about, take a look at its beautiful cover. It has to be one of the best illustrations I have ever seen, the amount of detail mirroring the intricacies held between the pages of this very special Tartan Noir.

A dead gamekeeper is hanging from a tree. This is a summary that can’t grasp the extraordinary imagery used by the author. I will not try to give it justice because I believe it is a task that can not be achieved
Raven
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I tell you what, this was an absolute winner on so many levels for me, and with absolutely no disrespect to Andrew James Grieg, I will immediately draw comparisons with Benjamin Myers excellent thrillers, Turning Blue and These Darkening Days. This is purely on the basis that I have been looking for a comparable crime read to these books, in terms of darkness and violence set against a natural, brooding environment for some time, and, hallelujah, I have totally found it in Whirligig. I don’t qui ...more
Steve Munoz
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A gamekeeper is found hanging from a tree. At first thought to be a suicide, evidence soon hints toward a strangely intricate murder. So begins Andrew James Greig’s debut crime outing, Whirligig, a superb story set in the Scottish Highlands which introduces James Corstophine, a wonderful addition to the UK Crime world of ruminative DI’s. A great name and an interesting story in himself, James is beautifully described as ‘a misplaced sock in the drawer of life’ and heads a small, rag tag group of ...more
Traceysyearinbooks
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is set in the Highlands of Scotland. A man is found hanging from a tree. Is this murder or is it suicide? This is linked to a historic case involving a woman who was found hanging from the same tree.

Wow what an amazing book. This is just the most perfect thriller. It is compelling, gritty, dark and full of gore.
I loved the characters and the storyline. It was excellently written and paced perfectly. A complete page turner. Can’t wait to read more by this author.
Kate Avery
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-2020
I have been really excited about this book for some time, as soon as I heard about it I knew I wanted to read it. Recently I’ve been finding that I get a bit of a crisis of confidence before I start books that I’ve been looking forward to because I worry that I’ve built them up so much that they won’t live up to my expectation. I am so glad to say that this didn’t happen with Whirligig.

I was sucked in from the first line and felt transported through the lyrical writing to a setting that is the p
Farhan
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Superb book. Very interesting premise. Strong story-line, and superb characterization. The intricate method of the crime is unique.. I've never come across it before in a book. DI James Corstophine is a very intelligent and hard-working man, who uses old-fashioned detective work to solve the crime. I can't believe there wasn't a sequel to this book! Grieg, come on.. you gotto finish the story!!
Mrs C
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolute genius piece of writing. I'd bought this because it was the only one of his I could get on Kindle but I loved it. Excellent characters, clever but disturbing plot, absolutely exceptional. I need to read more of Mr Greig's work. Highly recommended.
Joyce Whitehead
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new author for me.

I really enjoyed this book, a different story, lots of twists and turns. Some of those I got, but others I missed entirely! It is set in an area I know well which helped me to visualise the setting. Recommended highly.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book ticked all the boxes for me! A superb thriller, lots of gore and well written! A must read!
Liz Moffat
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast paced crime thriller, couldn’t put this book down once I was into it. DI James Corstorphine has a likeable team. Set in the highlands, a small community is thrown into the spotlight when a series of murders take place and all seem linked with a suicide at a hanging tree years ago. This is a debut for Andrew James Greig.
Nicola Quinn
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I started this book with no expectations as it’s not my usual book choice. But I decided at the start of this year that I was going to read more books that were outside my comfort zone. Well this book I managed in 2 sittings. I enjoyed it so much I was totally invested in the case and really got to like DI Corstorphine and his colleagues. This book was so well written and had so much in the way of description that you felt like you were there in person and could imagine the scenery and the peopl ...more
Gemma The BookCosy
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, let me say how brilliant this book was. It was dark, atmospheric, barbaric and a very clever crime story. I highly recommend it.

The novel is set in a quiet Scottish town where a gamekeeper is found hanging from a tree. On first glance it appears to be suicide, likened to a historic case of a woman found hanged from the same tree. However, on closer inspection an intricate clockwork mechanism has been rigged up, causing the death. As DI Corstorphine and DC McKenzie investigate they are d
Polly
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenge
This has to be one of my favourite crime novels that I’ve read. It is captivating, gritty, gory – everything a good crime novel needs to be. The intelligently written crimes keep you guessing the entire way through, and the clockwork mechanisms carved from bone are a unique touch which helps the book to stand out from the rest of the crime fiction genre. Detailed imagery help the story come to life, and I can imagine this book would be brilliant as a BBC crime series. DI Corstorphine is a fully ...more
Caroline McGregor
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!

I picked up this book as it had been nominated for an award at Bloody Scotland.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and did not want to put it down.

Set in the Highlands, we meet an interesting group of characters led by DI Corstorohine widowed 5 years before and his group of detectives. The story starts with the hanging of a local gamekeeper and follows quite a few twists and turns.

I would recommend to all and hope that we get another chance to meet DI Corstorohine and his team.
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Very well written - with a believable story. Bit predictable though.
Murder in Common
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review at #murderincommon - https://murderincommon.com/2020/07/12...
Moira McPartlin
Reading a detective story set in a wee highland town while on holiday in a wee highland town us my kind of holiday read.
Alex Jones
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The debut crime novel from Andrew James Greig introduces the interestingly named DI James Corstophine - which is quite apt as he's quite an interesting new DI on the scene.

Set in the Scottish highlands, in a quiet town, Corstophine is investigating what appears to be the suicide of a local gamekeeper only to find that it appears to be murder committed in a most intricate of ways.

With a rising body count, ghosts from the past raise their ugly heads as local people of power seemingly have secrets
Allan James Duncan
Oct 26, 2020
Rory Greig
Sep 30, 2020

• A Dark Matter
  • A Song for the Dark Times (Inspector Rebus #23)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Man on the Street (Jimmy Mullen #1)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope, #9)
  • Pine
  • The Art of Dying (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #2)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay, #1)
  • Wall of Silence
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • The Nanny
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Irresistible (Cloverleigh Farms, #1)
  • The Big Chill
  • The Way of All Flesh (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #1)
  • Jack & Bet
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)