Start by marking “Hattie Goes to Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Hattie Goes to Hollywood

Hattie Goes to Hollywood

Introducing a new cosy crime series from best selling author Caroline James.

A Cumbrian Village...
Three suicides...
A red-hot summer...

Published February 14th 2020 by The Pubish Hub
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Hattie Goes to Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hattie Goes to Hollywood

Start your review of Hattie Goes to Hollywood
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How good it was to be able to sink beneath the pages of a new Caroline James novel. And as a huge fan of the author, it was even better when I finally realised that Hattie is a returning character - and although this 110% can be read as a standalone novel, there are odd references to previous books that her long term fans will adore seeing.

What his is though is the first book in a new cosy mystery series, and I honestly wasn't entirely sure what the outcome of Hattie's investigation into her
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A funny, enjoyable, murder mystery with characters that were fantastically written! This book is set in Hollywood, England, a small village in the Cumbria area. Hattie has been left with a little cottage, which she renovated and then into an Investigation service. Caroline James brought me into this story. I loved the descriptions. Not too much, but enough to give me a sense of place.

Hattie is a great main character. She is young at heart and has an awesome pet duck, named Drake! I loved that
Cathy Ryan
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hattie Goes To Hollywood features one of my favourite characters from a couple of Caroline James previous books, although its not necessary to have read those to enjoy this one.

Recently bereaved, Hattie Mulberry has inherited her aunts cottage in the small fictional village of Hollywood, set in the picturesque Cumbrian countryside, and complete with pub, village green and local shop.

Hatties newly acquired cottage is quite dilapidated and although she is in the process of renovating with lots of
Pam Robertson
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a change in gear this book was for me. Having read the nordic noir, Death Deserved, I was plunged into the world of the cosy crime. I remembered Best Boomerville Hotel fondly so I was delighted to discover that Hattie was to get her own series and appreciated the references to Boomerville and her friend, Jo. This is a crime mystery which is full of humour. The characters who people the beautiful village of Hollywood, in Cumbria, breathe life into the story. There is such a variety, all ...more
Book Monitor
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this via TBC on Facebook.
I enjoyed this cosy mystery tale which has all the tropes of that genre but is put together with a light touch, a modern twist and an entertaining cast of characters.
As Hattie settles into her new life in the village of Hollywood and she starts to build new relationships with the locals, she sets up as a private investigator and gets her first case from her recently widowed next door neighbour: investigating the suicide of her late husband. As she
Beccy Thompson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
A Cumbrian Village...
Three suicides...
A red-hot summer...

When recently bereaved Hattie Mulberry inherits her aunts dilapidated cottage in the village of Hollywood in Cumbria, she envisages a quiet life. But retired hotelier Hattie is bored and when her neighbour asks her to investigate a suspicious suicide, Hatties career takes a new direction and H&H Investigations is born. During the hottest summer for years, Hattie
Suzanna Salter
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a cracking read this was! So many characters to love or loathe, plots twisting faster that knickers on a washing line in a storm! I absolutely love Hattie and the way she can find things out, Drake was an amazing little guard drake. And the residents in this tiny village all made an impact on me. Love love loved it. Highly recommend
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Hattie goes to Hollywood is the first in a new cosy mystery series and the first novel Ive read by Caroline James.

Newly widowed Hattie Mulberry has inherited a house from her elderly aunt in Hollywood, Cumbria. Deciding she needs a new start, she moves in with plans to do it up but shes soon distracted by her new neighbour and her husbands suspicious suicide. Can Hattie find out the truth?

It has all the classic cosy mystery staples, a small village community, a dogged and determined main
Donna Maguire

I love this authors books and I was so pleased to see that she had a new release out!

I thought that this story was great, I loved the character development and the interaction Hattie is a fabulous character and I was so pleased that this book had the authors personality shining through!

I thought that the setting for the book was great and the author did a great job setting the scene too it was a well-developed story all wrong, I loved the pace and the
Amanda
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love discovering new authors and Caroline James is definitely a new author for me. I read the synopsis for 'Hattie Goes To Hollywood' and it certainly sounded like an interesting read. I wasn't wrong either because it was definitely an interesting read, which I really enjoyed but more about that in a bit.
It took me a little while to get into this story but I was tired when I started to read the book and I was finding it hard to concentrate. 'Hattie Goes To Hollywood' wasn't a book that I could
Jane Hunt

A good cozy mystery should have the following attributes. A cast of complex characters, some of which must harbour dark secrets. Plenty of opportunity for humour, but despite this, the potential for a heinous crime. An enigmatic, quirky amateur sleuth, and an idyllic setting that seems at odds, with what happens there.

'Hattie Goes To Hollywood', has all of the above. The residents of Hollywood village are quirky and not necessarily what they seem. The plot has lots of comic moments and
Christie72
I fell in love with Caroline Jamess writing when I read her novel, The Best Boomerville Hotel. Hattie Goes to Hollywood exceeded all my expectations.

Hattie arrives in the village of Hollywood after she inherits her aunts cottage which is in total disarray. She isnt quite sure what to do with herself since losing her husband and retiring from working in a hotel. An old friend and handyman, Alf, convinces her to try her hand at being a private investigator. At first, she hesitates, and finally
Aarron
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
British storytelling at its purest heart.
What a wonderful read! Right from the get go, we are introduced to a plethora of vivid and imaginative characters, all whom bring something special to each page of this story. However, for readers that have long followed Caroline James, you will adore the return of Hattie, The Best Boomerville Hotel, as we follow her in her latest chapters as she moves from the retreats of Herefordshire back to Cumbria where we first met her at Boomerville. James fills in
Stephanie Dagg
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its wonderful to meet Hattie, a character from Caroline Jamess The Best Boomerville Hotel, again, but even if its your first encounter with her, youll still love her! Shes lively, indomitable, likeable and a brings a gale of fresh air into the village of Hollywood.
Shes surrounded by a host of equally fascinating, vibrant and eccentric people, some great, some ghastly. Theres even a duck to add even more novelty to the cast!
The setting of village life in Cumbria is warm and convincing, and the
Tessa
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved about Hattie Goes to Hollywood

Where do I start I loved everything about this book! To begin with the title. It just sounds fun. Hattie goes to Hollywood - and she does Hollywood, England, which is a small village in the Cumbria area that was once farmland. Her recently deceased Aunt left her a little cottage, and she decides to move in, renovate, and start an Investigation Service. The depth and quality of the description quickly enveloped me, welcoming me to Holly Cottage.

Feb 14, 2020 is currently reading it
While Hattie is compared to Miss Marple, present day cozy readers would consider a contemporary of Agatha Raisin. I discovered this author via The Best Boomerville Hotel and could not wait to read her voice and vision again. I was even more delighted when her new book featured one of my favorite characters from Boomerville.
Janet Moss
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing and entertaining, Caroline 's best novel yet.
Caroline has become a master of descriptive writing, she can place you right amongst her characters who you feel you know personally. With a strong plot written in an amusing way, this book is a very good read.
Aisha
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully cosy read

I enjoyed this book. Hattie is a lovable character despite being quite the busybody!
The plot is well thought through and the writing is engaging. I would certainly recommend this book!
Kamini Mehta
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A refreshing read about an older woman who is getting on with her life. I like that Hattie is self-aware and the characters are all well written. Her antics made me giggle.
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this cozy mystery (and series starter) has a lot of the elements Ive come to expect (and love) about cozies, there are some nice differences too.

Theres the usual 'small English village' setting and the familiar characters the 'cute local love interest', the 'town gossip' and the main character, the 'single woman amateur sleuth'. Every cozy mystery fan knows these are all part of the formula.

But then we have the main character Hattie Mulberry. Married twice, recently widowed from her
Elaine
This is a lovely cosy mystery set in Hollywood - no, not the one in the US but Hollywood in Cumbria, England! Recently widowed, Hattie Mulberry has inherited her aunt's cottage in the village and moves there expecting to have a quiet life. However, such a life would totally bore her and when Alf, a friend/gardener/handyman, suggest she set herself up as a private investigator she decides to give it a go and H&H Investigations is the result. Her first investigation is into the death of her ...more
Heather Copping
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hattie Mulberry has recently lost her husband and she has also inherited an ancient cottage in Hollywood, not the Hollywood that you might first of all suppose, but Hollywood in Cumbria. It got its name from a derivative of the Holly Wood, so not as glamorous as the one in America but it seems to have its fair share of mysterious characters and strange goings on.
Hattie feels like she needs to do something with her time and starts up a private investigation company from her back garden (H and H
Carol Thomas
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read previous books by Caroline James, I was delighted to see that Hattie, a larger than life character of earlier novels, returns in this, the first of what promises to be an entertaining, cosy crime series.

Hattie is as wonderful and feisty as ever, as she moves to the Cumbrian village of Hollywood, where some suspicious deaths pique her curiosity. Being naturally nosy, she soon finds herself taking on the role of private investigator.

I love Hatties no-nonsense approach to life. She
Caroline Venables
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a brand new series from Caroline James, starring the character of Hattie. Still grieving from a bereavement she moves to Cumbria, where her new neighbour informs her that the village has seen three recent suicides. Could Hattie turn her hand to detecting?

I love watching how new series take shape and I really liked this book. The characters come together well as Hattie starts to look into the suicides, and finds more than she bargained for. If, like me, you love the Agatha
Louise
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the tale of suspicious deaths and shenanigans in nursing homes, it is about small village life and the support it can give!
I love Hattie and the characters and enjoyed the simple style which did not give the game away. Somehow it was easy to read but well plotted and unpredicatable.
Would love to read more about Hollywood.
Julia
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Hattie Goes to Hollywood is the first in a new cosy murder mystery series by Caroline James.

Hattie is an engaging lead who wastes no time after moving to Hollywood in romancing the local landlord, renovating her new/old house and picking up the local gossip. Caroline James has created a varied crop of both charming and charmless resident characters and describes hot summer life in a cosy village, masking the tensions running below the surface.

Hattie manages to both don her deer-stalker and turn
Polly
Mar 08, 2020
Mrs Victoria M Brand
Feb 21, 2020
Lou
Feb 25, 2020
Helen Simpson
Feb 24, 2020

• New Beginnings at Wynter House (Wyntersleap series Book 2)
  • Erotic Fiction?: So outrageously funny you'll laugh your knickers off.
  • A Messy Affair (Lena Szarka Mysteries #3)
  • I Am Dust
  • A Prison in the Sun (Canary Islands Mysteries Book 3)
  • Rage and Retribution (The DI Sterling series)
  • You Never Told Me
  • Nullpunkt
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Rise of the Rays (DCI Yorke #4)
  • Endless Silent Scream (DI Bliss, #6)
  • 52 Weeks of Writing Author Journal and Planner: Get out of your own way and become the writer you're meant to be
  • Saturdays at Noon
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (A Miss Underhay Mystery #2)
  • Hidden on the Fens (Detective Nikki Galena #11)
  • My One True North
  • The School of Starting Over
  • Wardens of Eternity
Caroline James always wanted to write but never thought that she was good enough. Instead of a taking a literary route she followed a career in the hospitality industry, which included owning a pub and a beautiful country house hotel. When she finally glued her rear to a chair and began to write the words flowed, and several novels later she has gained many best-seller badges for her books. When ...more