Start by marking “Charles Bukowski - UK Edition” as Want to Read:
Charles Bukowski - UK Edition

Charles Bukowski - UK Edition

A major new biography on an increasingly important American literary icon, by the most acclaimed writer on the Beat Generation, Barry Miles. Miles knew all the key players in the Beat era, including William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg, and also recorded with Bukowski. Having spoken with people close to Bukowski, and with a full examination of Bukowski's extensive writings ...more
Published October 28th 2006 by Virgin Books (first published June 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Bukowski - UK Edition, please sign up.
Chris Topher What would you suggest? Would you rather it all be erased and we pretend stuff like this never happens? What brand of rose colored glasses should we w…moreWhat would you suggest? Would you rather it all be erased and we pretend stuff like this never happens? What brand of rose colored glasses should we wear when we read your approved list of authors?

I think that, in your rush to reject the harsh world Bukowski wrote about, you have completely missed the moral of his stories--and yes, there is a moral in his stories, as lacking in morals as his characters are.

To me, Bukowski works because, while his writing shows what it is like to live at the bottom, among the dregs of society where everything and everyone are as bad as they can get, he shows that you can go on for another day.

To say stuff like this shouldn't be published is to both ignore the fact that yes, people do indeed live like this and, as Bukowski shows, you can survive another day whether you want to or not.

You should read some of his poetry. Try "The Shoelace" if you want a clearer idea of what Bukowski was writing about. Also, "Democracy" "Putrefaction" and "Something's Knocking at the Door" show another side that doesn't come across in his "Chinaski" character.
(less)

Start your review of Charles Bukowski - UK Edition
Παύλος
Από την πρώτη φορά που έπιασα βιβλίο του Μπουκοφσκι πριν 7-8 χρόνια, μου δημιουργήθηκε η περιέργεια να μάθω περισσότερα για την ζωή του. Τουλάχιστον περισσότερα από όσα αφήνουν να γίνουν γνωστά τα αυτοβιογραφικά του κατά βάση κείμενα. Η παρούσα βιογραφια αποτέλεσε ένα εξαιρετικό οδηγό προς αυτήν την κατεύθυνση και τελικά άξιζε η τρίμηνη αναμονή μέχρι την κυκλοφορία και την αγορά της!

Σε κάτι άλλο τώρα. Συνηθίζουμε στα βιβλία που έχουν μεταφραστεί στα ελληνικά να μην αναφερόμαστε (δυστυχώς) στον μ
Jason
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book in HMV, by far the best thing I've got from that shop.

I hadn't read anything by Bukowski before, the only thing I knew was from the Modest Mouse song.

Barry Miles has written about a person he cared for and for me that made a big difference for me.

Bukowski lead an amazing life, fighting and drinking and living for his art. At times he had no money, no food, no warm room to live in but he would still obsessively write on any scrap of paper he could find.

So big thanks to Barry Miles
Jack
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those of us who can relate to a tortured soul, Charles Bukowski's life story will strike a nerve. He was blessed with incredible observational writing skills, but his characters were always this side of social ineptness, and self destructive much like he was. His capacity for drink was legendary, he was moody and dark but his writing and expression was brilliant.
Isidore
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
There's no question that the Howard Sounes biography is the best book on Bukowski so far. That said, this book has its pleasures. Unlike Sounes, who engaged in real research, Miles' book is pretty much synthesized out of the autobiographical elements in Bukowski's vast oeuvre. This may not be great scholarship, but the fact that so much of its content comes directly or indirectly from Buk's own words actually leaves the reader with a better sense of what to expect from Buk's writings. If you alr ...more
Ania
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book.i think that it would be of interest to not only anyone obviously into bukowski, but also anyone who wants to write,as his prolific-ness and dedication to writing is truelly inspiring.as is his ability to write amongst all the chaos of his life.the only frustrating thing for me was that the author kept saying that 'bukowski was drinking more than ever'.this phrase was overused and ruined any relativity for me.but gripping,actually.
Sicofonia
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive biography on Charles Bukowski. This text follows the standard chronological approach for most biographies. Because of the very biographical nature of Bukowski's works, I'd say any Buk fan would be familiar with the vast majority of events related at the beginning of the book. Abused child, outcast teenager and troubled young man. We know the script.
However, the book picks up somewhere half-way thru as Barry Miles tries to go beyond what is common knowledge and question some aspe
David
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not normally a huge fan of biographies, but I couldn't resist picking up this one. All in all, it was pretty good. I did find it quite a bit different than Cherkovski's, even though the same facts are at the base. I think Miles had an image of Bukowski that he wanted to show and did so. Of course, so did Cherkovski. Most biographers probably do. You probably get a more complete picture by reading different ones and finding the "truth" somewhere in between.
Lollipopwater
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read on Bukowski, "the laureate of American low-life". A biography that scrapes away all the myth and legend of the man, and sheds light on his fears and struggles and loves.

I enjoyed that Barry Miles also included bits on the history of Los Angeles, a city that often plays a character in Bukowski's poems and stories.
Cory Fosco
Some cool new insights, but nothing overwhelmingly different than any other biography of Bukowski. I learned more about his relationship with his first wife, and got a glimpse of what she looked like, which no other book really has.
Kate
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A not-astounding biography of Charles Bukowski that covered all the bases and told me everything I needed to know, and then some.
christopher leibow
Best Buk bio I have ever read. No fan worshiping and anectdotes I have never heard. Miles slides back the curtains of bravado and gently has us look at the knot of a man Buk was.
Amanda
Apr 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great supplement to Bukowski: Born Into This documentary. Bukowski is a favorite of mine and this was a well written bio of him.
Mark
Oct 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bailed at a little over 100 pages. How somebody can make an outsized personality like Bukowski seem boring is beyond me.
Vanessa
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My best friend got this as a birthday gift for me because he knows how much I like Bukowski (thanks to him introducing me to him). Great read, recommended.
Victoria Moore
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how long I've been reading Charles Bukowski but after running across a clip I saved from the 9/2-8/11 issue of the "L.A. Weekly" called "Buke It Out" about his book "More Notes of a Dirty Old Man" I felt compelled to read "Charles Bukowski" by Barry Miles along with that book. Divided into 11 chapters, spanning from his horrendous childhood rife with paternal abuse to his death of cancer on March 9, 1994 at 73, I discovered that I wasn't just reading this book I was living parts of ...more
Steve Balfour
CHARLES BUKOWSKI, by Barry Miles, is an interesting and adequate biography of the much revered (and sometimes despised) writer & poet. It creates a sequential story of his life with heavy reference to his actual writings --- sometimes almost borrowing verbatim --- to give a detailed account of where, when and sometimes, why, he wrote about much of what he did. As Bukowski led an incredible life so it goes that many readers will be fascinated by the tales shared here. The creative life and all it ...more
carmie
May 10, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
What a frustrating biography. Barry Miles was relentless in his pursuit of the truth and spent most of his time picking out the half-truths in Bukowski's writings. While I applaud his dedication in research, he let his own voice speak too much, not content to just narrate. That voice seemed dour and humorless. Of course I learned a lot about Charles Bukowski, but found myself wanting to chuck (haha) the book across the room half a dozen times.
David Williams
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, Comprehensive & Detailed, the Biographer was able to remain objective about a man and poet that engenders such emotion and passion amongst his fans and detractors. At times, sad, interesting and compulsive, the amount of drinking described was to the detriment of description and detail of individual poems. I would have liked more detail on his poems, not just books and anthologies. ...more
Bob
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A biography of writer Charles Bukowski. His life, like his writing, was a vast waste of tedium punctuated occasionally by something interesting. I was especially struck that, for a poet as populist as he was, he hated to do public readings of his work.
Colin
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly comprehensive biography of Bukowski. It sews together his poems and stories into a patchwork of his life. Little to no bullshit.
Manar Ouartssi
i loved this book , it is a very well-written biography about the prolific underground writer charles bukowski
patty ramona
Diving in . . . Bottoms Up !

What a story! What a life!
Adam
Great book, I enjoyed the poetry enormously.
Pierpaolo Bonante
Dietro le quinte. Curioso.
Taryn Renay
I didn't care for the author's style. Hard to follow at times. Lots of typos.
Vilný Faun
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski...
Často mě během čtení jeho knih napadá, zda bych se s tímto člověkem přátelil nebo bych byl jeho přítomností znechucen. Napadá mě to mezi řádky často, přesto nedokážu jednoznačně odpovědět. Nejspíš za to může jeho schizofrenní chování, balancování mezi duchaplnými debatami a prohazováním rádia oknem, zbytečným násilím a pozérskou otravností.
Bukowski mě svým způsobem uvedl do čtení knih pro dospělé. Lepší přechod mezi knihami od Lemony Snicketa a Welshem, Palahniukem a podobnou verbeží
David
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most people that read this book are probably a fan of Bukowski. I've read just about everything by him or about him, to me he's the best over ever, and a great writer in general. So I had this bevy of facts swirling in my head about him. The Miles book was so thorough it put everything I'd already read about Buk in order. But it wasn't just a chronological book, Miles adds a lot on great insights into the enigmatic character Bukowski.

dave
Darlene Williams
An Honest Biography

What a great book about a great writer. Hank is no small character and to relate his existence as human, likable and real is quite the accomplishment. To lead your young life when you are older is difficult. Thanks become a success is difficult but here idle Hank Bukowski doing it all. This book left me wanting more.
Brian Richards
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reread ... great book
Clint Banjo
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Bukowski’s work and this is like being a fly on the wall watching him write and experience it all. Good also to get an idea of the timeline of his works.

• Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Hollywood
  • Tales of Ordinary Madness
  • Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski
  • The Living Dead
  • A History of Cambodia (Third Edition)
  • Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy
  • Dangling in the Tournefortia
  • Loving and Hating Charles Bukowski
Author of several books and biographies, most pertaining to musicians and the sixties.

Miles has written biographies of Paul McCartney, The Beatles, William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, Frank Zappa, Charles Bukowski and Allen Ginsberg, in addition to books on John Lennon, The Beatles and The Clash.

He is occasionally inaccurately credited as "Miles Mabbett" due to his co-authoring a book with Andy Mabb