Start by marking “The Turning (Blood Ties, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Turning (Blood Ties, #1)

The Turning

(Blood Ties #1)

I'm no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Just my luck.

So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invi
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Mira (first published May 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Turning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turning

Kathryn
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
First off, this is not a paranormal romance, contrary to what the cover wants you to think. This is a dark urban fantasy with many violent scenes. There is a great deal of pain, blood, and assault.

I loved the first chapter, thought it was perfect and original. I liked the main character, the secondary characters, and set up. Then the blood tie kicked in and was used for all sorts of ridiculous behavior and dialogue. I stopped liking the main character when her actions stopped making sense.

I und
Sarah Mac
Ugh, that's it. I yield. Carrie's whinging, selfish splooge is like driving an icepick through my temple.

This book was a fail on so many levels. While there are elements of horror, the true focus is the first-person idiocy of Carrie as she rebels against her dead parents by justifying her lust for some obnoxious, sleazeball vampire with floor-length hair & brocade bathrobes. His name is Cyrus (yes, really) & he has an unabashed fondness for the rape-and-murder of teenagers. But he only
crίѕтίŋα•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
#HalloweenReading 2015

Avoid Sunlight - Drink Blood - Hate Yourself - Welcome To Immortality
Buggy
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Opening Line: “I read a poll in the newspaper once that said the number one fear of Americans aged eighteen to sixty-five is public speaking. Spiders are second and death is a distant third.”

Wow, this was a fun. Not quite what I was expecting but as it turned out a great ride. For some reason I went into this thinking paranormal romance which is so not the case here. I would categorize Armintrout’s world as urban fantasy/horror. Its dark, violent, blood spattered and often gory and that would in
Terra
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Blood Ties book one: The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout is such a breath of fresh air. Not the typical vampire romance that I'm used to reading and one I'm glad I didn't pass by.

Dr. Carrie Ames is a doctor that shouldn't be. Squeemish, insecure with low self esteem, she is the perfect candidate for this good vs. evil vampire must read. Easily controlled even though she really doesn't want to be, curious as a cat with nine lives you can see why she is the most ripe cherry for this battle.

Nathan i
Megan Baxter
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book is terrible. The author never met a stereotype she didn't like (not just for vampires), and it is just full of sloppy prose like soft carpets that cut the heroine's skin like razors. Rug burn, I might believe. Razors? No.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Ένα καλό urban fantasy που δεν είναι ιδιαίτερα πρωτότυπο όμως...Έχει πολύ γρήγορο ρυθμό και είναι από τις περιπτώσεις βιβλίων που ο κακός έχει περισσότερο ενδιαφέρον από τους βασικούς πρωταγωνιστές!
(Το είχα διαβάσει και πιο παλιά αλλά επειδή δεν του είχα δώσει ιδιαίτερη σημασία τότε, είπα να το προσπαθήσω και πάλι!)
Megan
I didn't have high hopes for The Turning. No offense to Jennifer Armintrout intended, but there is just so much crap flooding UF/PR shelves these days. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this book.

It starts when Dr. Carrie Ames is attacked by a master vamp and unintentionally left behind to become a vampire herself. I had to love Carrie’s initial reservation to drinking blood. As a nurse and a germophobe, I can appreciate her revulsion to the whole thing based on the extreme icki
Willow
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
I haven’t read a vampire book this entertaining and exciting for a long time. These vampires are mean and they are killers. And now Carrie has found herself turned into one. She not too thrilled about it either. This has ruined her life. To her great misfortune, she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets attacked and left for dead. This starts her new life as the undead.

While I usually love the gothic undertones of most vampire novels, this one has very few. I think Ar
Gloria Mundi
Ugh. Cutting my losses on this one. I read to about half way and flicked through the rest but it doesn't seem to get any better. None of it makes sense. The heroine is a hospital doctor who gets turned into a vampire and one of the first things she gets told to do and does in pretty short order is quit her job. Because people will start noticing that she doesn't age. Ummmm, yeah, but probably not for at least another 10 years or so. She's only 28, FFS. And wouldn't it make sense for her to stay ...more
Fábio Ventura
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde o sucesso da saga Twilight de Stephenie Meyer que a Gailivro tem vindo a apostar cada vez mais nos vampiros. “A Iniciação”, o primeiro volume da trilogia Laços de Sangue, da autoria da americana Jennifer Armintrout, é a sua mais recente aposta.
Carrie Ames é uma médica que recentemente se mudou para o Michigan para trabalhar no Serviço de Urgência de um hospital. Certa noite, é atacada na morgue por um vampiro, supostamente um doente falecido há minutos atrás. Enquanto se debate com a inco
Sofia Teixeira
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real Rating: 4.5

Este primeiro livro da série Laços de Sangue foi uma boa surpresa. Confesso que andei a evitá-lo durante uns bons dias, pois pensava cá para mim: "Ora boa, mais um livrinho de vampiros...". E apesar de já ter lido bastantes este ano, este mostrou-se diferente. Conceitos diferentes, atitudes diferentes, o que contribuiu para que fosse ganhando entusiasmo ao longo da leitura. Tanto, que acabei por lê-lo em dia e meio.

Carrie, personagem principal e narradora, é uma médica que a cert
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I don't have any objections to the plot, it was decent, but the characters . . .

Carrie got on my last friggin' nerve: (view spoiler)

The truth should have come out. The truth needed to come out, but it also needed
Christine_v
The reason I first picked this book was because it's about vampires and the heroine wasn't a 16 year old waiting for the prince charming. As she says she was 28 years old but she looked barely 21 (whatever!).

So a vampire story with lots of blood, gore and a fascination with eyes. I mean the things this author did with eyes!She took them out, borrowed them, changed them, staked them and all that in detail! Jennifer, what do you have against eyes?!?

Now our heroine, Carrie, is a doctor with daddy-
HJ
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
6/7/2014
So.

I read this book awhile back. I thought it was 'okay' (as you can see by how I rated this back in 2009). Am now going to go back to do a reread based on author's commendable behavior with regard to despicable trolling/bully sites.

This, on the heels of a certain 'world famous' *rolls eyes here* authoress who's decided that readers/reviewers who post less than sycophantic comments/posts, and less than adoring reviews are 'gangste
Gypsie Holley
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav-finsh-series
This is completely different from what I am used to reading. I wasn't sure the first few chapters if I wanted to continue but it sucked me in. Deliciously disturbing so I must be sick in the head. A truly dark look into the not so good side of being a vampire. Violence, gore, blood and torture and teen rape. This is not a "romance" like bonding or mating that is generally read. I appreciate the change and it is very well written.

Best quote from book:

"Every moment I spent with him faded my anger
Denisa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. Kinda boring, I've read other, better books on this subject.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is no sweet, humorous vampire romance. Violence abounds from the first pages to the end. The story is unique for the approach to vampires, the changes in their bodies, and the link between sire and fledglings. And the idea that vampires would work to eradicate the "bad" vampires is not new, but that the Movement would strive to destroy all of the vampires was a shock.
Carrie's new nature is hard to resist and with the additional pull of her sire it is almost impossible to control herself. On
Misa
I wasn't even able to finish this book. It's awfull, awfull, awfull. The crappy translation to Portuguese didn't help aswel.

I do not recommend it.
Claire
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was right - I had read this before! But it was so long ago and so many books have been read since I didn't remember the entire story - but I did remember a few key turning points.

Saying that - I'm glad I picked it up again - i really enjoyed it!

Carrie is a great character and Nathan is too. And altho some intimacy has been seen, no romance is on the cards there yet. Nathan is still very much in love (or guilty) with his wife from the 1920s.

Cyrus turns out to be an interesting villain when you
Red Lace Reviews
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Dr Carrie Ames’ life changes dramatically when she is attacked in the hospital morgue. Thankfully found and saved in time, she undergoes her long and life threatening recovery. Her body then experiences some strange changes, such as a big increase in appetite and sensitivity to sunlight; things that can be explained medically, but Carrie knows the truth. She is a vampire and she needs help. She meets Ziggy and the ‘sex walking’ good vampire, Nathan, who educates Carrie on her new life. But soon ...more
Ne
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde que a capa me cativou, e o mesmo não posso afirmar quanto à sinopse, que queria ler o livro. Tanto que o comprei a ele e aos dois seguintes. Finalmente consegui pegar nele!
Ora bem, no geral achei o livro bastante cómico e cheio de acção. Do inicio ao fim, acontece quase tudo à protagonista, desde tentar sobreviver e afirmar-se no meio de internos sedentos de atenção, a ser desmoralizada pelo chefe, atacada por um vampiro, morrer no bloco operatório, sobreviver, encontrar outro vampiro, enc
Carolyn  Storer
The Turning' is the first book in the 'Blood Ties' series by Jennifer Armintrout. It's a solid start to a series if a little uneven. It also doesn't really sit within the urban fantasy genre or the paranormal romance genre but somewhere in between in my opinion. Although there are a few gruesome scenes that may be too explicit for PNR fans, especially if they are just after a romance and nothing else.

Carrie Ames is a doctor working in a hospital when a John Doe is pushed through the hospital doo
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Just in case you, like me, got this book confused with paranormal romance: it's not romance. That should hopefully dispel any expectations on that score which will only be disappointed.

Carrie is a doctor who has a bit of a breakdown when she sees the horrific injuries of a patient brought in one night. Trying to overcome her fear, she goes to the morgue to view the corpse only to have it attack her.

After spending some time in hospital herself, recovering, she struggles to return to her job. The
Christiana
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Opinião aqui: http://www.diariodachris.com/2014/08/...

Não sou pessoa de muita fantasia. Vampiros também não são a minha leitura habitual. Mas a sinopse deste livro captou a minha atenção e devo confessar que foi uma agradável surpresa.

Carrie Ames é médica há apenas oito meses, quando uma noite é atacada por um vampiro na morgue do hospital e acaba ela também por se tornar um vampiro. O que ela não sabe é que ao se transformar em vampiro ela acaba por criar um laço de sangue com quem a criou, o
Sky Rose Reviews
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
So it's been a while since I have actually reviewed anything and to ease my way back into this I decided to dive into my favourite genre.

This book had a promising beginning. I liked the way vampires were re-imagined to be more monstrous, very Buffy-esk which I really liked. I loved the writing style too, it's very quick and witty. Heck I even actually really liked Ziggy as a character but my problem begins the moment Carrie meets Cyrus. It's like all the charm and smart drains out of her and she
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
I actively disliked this one. I thought the main character had such potential and instead became revolting.

Carrie is a doctor, so I accept that she wasn't squeamish when Cyrus' dinner is a dead body, and then he plucks the corpse's eyeball and drops it into his drinking glass. But since Carrie is a doctor and sworn to help people, I DON'T forgive her for seeing a girl being attacked and closing the shades on her window so she wouldn't have to hear it. I don't forgive her for letting Cyrus have Z
Michelle
Jun 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
When this author chose to spend the majority of her book cultivating the sexual/quasi-romantic bond between the main character and a guy who tortures and rapes teenagers for fun, I was disgusted, but I also felt a little reluctant admiration. After all, its easy to write a story where the main character falls in love with a great guy. It is much more ambitious to try to write a scenario out of the ordinary, to take something that readers are repelled by and write it so compellingly that they beg ...more
Lydia
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I like it pretty well so far, but one of the sexy vampires just walked in wearing leather pants and a billowy white shirt.
Really?!
I'm still laughing at that one.
So I'm finished. It was like this: poorly developed characters? rambling, stupid plot? Hot, emotionally-retarded, Throbbing vampire love? Done. Sign Me UP!
It only took me a couple of hours to read, so I'll read the others because I'm a glutton for punishment, but it really was kind of like reading a book by the offspring of Bram Stoke
Apatricia
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Este livro foi tudo!
Acabei-o num ápice e não sei muito bem como digerir toda esta informação, tudo o que consigo pensar é deitar as mãos no próximo.
Quando peguei nele as minhas expectativas eram incrivelmente baixas (como o preço dele, a sério foi uma pechincha), mas não, foi o tipo de livro que não conseguimos largar e ficamos sempre à espera de mais!
Este livro consegue-nos fazer pensar nas personagens quando não o estamos a ler, era tudo o que precisava neste momento, quem é fã de fantasia,
Is This a Romance?! 3 52 Oct 02, 2011 06:10PM
  • Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #2)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • Eternal Seduction (A Darkness Within, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Dark Harvest (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist, #3)
  • The Vampire's Seduction (Savannah Vampire, #1)
  • Eternal Hunger (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #3)
  • The Becoming (Anna Strong Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Night Rising (Vampire Babylon, #1)
  • Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles, #1)
  • Crimson Kiss (Crimson, #1)
  • Chasing Midnight (Vampire/Werewolf Trilogy, #1)
  • Michael (Blood and Sex, #1)
  • Crimson City (Crimson City, #1)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
Jennifer Armintrout is a pseudonym for Jenny Trout.

Blood Ties (4 books)
  • Possession (Blood Ties, #2)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Blood Ties, #3)
  • All Souls' Night (Blood Ties, #4)
“If you're afraid of something, face it. Fear is irrational. The only way to conquer your fear is to stand next to it.” 25 likes
“Near mint my ass! Bluebird45 is getting some seriously bad feedback."
"You bought this on eBay?" I flipped to a random page and started reading. "Man, you really can get anything on there.”
6 likes