Start by marking “Maud's House” as Want to Read:
Maud's House

Maud's House

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The rural community of Round Corners, Vermont, rallies around Maud in her search for inspiration to paint a mural for Town Hall after a fifteen-year dry spell.
Published August 1st 1995 by Papier-Mache Press (first published May 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Maud's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maud's House

Linda
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Maud's House' takes you right into the story which grips and holds your interest because of the colorful descriptions of the characters and their feelings. It's a fascinating puzzle that ends in a wonderful mosaiac that speaks to the reader's heart and spirit.
The characters in the story are people who everyone can relate to. Though they struggle with problems and concerns, they help neighbors and others, and look for the good and positive in them, instead of criticizing them or looking for anyt
Rahma Krambo
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
From an early age, Maud's father let his free-spirited daughter cover their house with her folksy artwork. Eventually it becomes a famous tourist attraction in their small Vermont town.

When Maud's father dies, she falls into a dreary marriage with George, a man who takes care of her, but ends up whitewashing her house and her creative spirit. When George dies, Maud has a humorous and insightful one-sided conversation with her dead husband in a struggle to regain her artistic soul.

I loved this
Kris Larson
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
I really dig this book. It was one of only three books I took with me to college (no bookshelves in my crappy dorm). Mind you, I took it because I happened to be in the middle of it when I left, but I liked it tremendously and read it several more times over the course of the year, and a few more times in the years that followed. This is one of those great, small town story books that doesn't ever make you feel bad. Excellent comfort food.
Brandon Shire
Loved it! The quirky characters and the simple straightforward writing made it a very enjoyable read. Very Highly recommended.
Barb
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoy Shelly Robert's characters. They're quirky yet believable, funny yet have a serious side. This is the second book I've read by this Indie author and she's definitely one of my faves.
Carol
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle-books
If you want to know what this book is like, think of Garrison Keillor's stories set in Minnesota. If you can't get enough of Mr. Keillor's lore then turn to Sherry Roberts' Maud's House.

Like Lake Woebegon, Round Corners, Vermont has a lot of winter weather and very quirky, unforgettable characters. Maude is no exception. She grew up in an old Vermont farm house that had additions added as the family grew. The house had already seen two generations born in it. When Maud was four, her father gave
Linda B. Johnson
Maud's house

I found the book fairly entertaining and easy to read.The characters were interesting and well portrayed. I got bogged down in some of the details, but enjoyed it overall.
Susan Miller
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. The eclectic feel of all the characters in a small Vermont town and how they get along. I like the way the author paints the scenes in Vermont with the actions of her characters. the coming together and letting and those that don't give up.
Jeanne Kornegay
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading about small town life and this was pretty good example of how much slower small towns are, but they still have problems and everyone comes together to help.
Elizabeth Bailey
Super book. Loved it. Caught me from the off and I loved the concept of the house. The slow burn of the romance was delightful. Wonderful characters, eccentric and different, beautifully written.
Pat
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maud painted her house in a colorful manner.
Then her husband convinced her to paint it over white.
She lost her spirit.
Town wants her to paint again.
Good story.
Lori
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lyrical, whimsical, sould searching, life affirming, silly, profound, redemption, tragi-comedy
Debra Attman
Deidre Barnes
rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2017
Sherry Roberts
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Melhagge
Jan 26, 2012
Jeanne Marie
Sep 17, 2016
BookishDreamer
rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2012
Sanja Samardzic
Jun 15, 2014
Katy L
May 29, 2016
I read mysteries, and now I write them. My new mystery, Down Dog Diary, asks the compelling question: can a yoga teacher hunt a killer and still find inner peace? I have written two other novels: Book of Mercy, a funny novel about a serious issue: censorship, and Maud’s House, a story of lost creativity and the mess it can lead to in a small Vermont town. I also am the author of WriteTips, an eBoo ...more
More about Sherry Roberts...