Start by marking “A Taste of Heaven and Earth: A Zen Approach to Cooking and Eating with 150 Satisfying Vegetarian Recipes” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
For Bettina Vitell the simple art of cooking holds the seeds to a deeper, more life-enriching experience. It is a way to become more aware of ourselves and the world around us, to think clearly and to delight in even the most basic daily activities of our lives.

The dishes in A Taste of Heaven and Earth reflect this Zen philosophy. Bettina Vitell's uncomplicated recipes pro
Published August 25th 1993 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Heaven and Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Heaven and Earth

Janice
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
These are simple and delicious recipes. The author spent a year as tenzo (head cook) at Dai Bosatsu Zendo, a traditional Rinzai Zen monastery in the Catskill Mountains of New York. Each chapter begins with a commentary on the relationship between food and health and the attitude of mindfulness toward the ingredients, the preparation and the presentation.

She says, "the kitchen is a place that sharpens us. It's a place that wakes us up. Our sense of smell becomes keener. We taste with greater subt
Algernon
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
First cookbook I bought for myself after college, when I wanted to learn how to cook vegetarian meals for myself. It's a lovely, friendly book with helpful information about the ingredients and recipes that are tasty and delicious. Fourteen years later, I still refer to it regularly, and it is splattered with food like a well-used cookbook should be.
Bert Edens
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
OK, so you don't typically read a cookbook. But this one had a lot of good suggestions on not just cooking, but living. Being in the moment and being connected not just with your cooking, the ingredients, but everything around you. And yeah, some great-looking recipes! Can't wait to try them out.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegetarians who have to feed omnivores.
This was a Christmas gift from my daughter in 2002. There were directions for preparing tofu for cooking I did not know before I read this book. (Ihe family still did not like tofu after I learned to properly marinate it.) A favorite recipe was Bechamel sauce (p. 163).
Joanna Bastian
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Simple and delicious recipes. I'll be trying all of them from cover to cover!
Ian Williams
Jan 07, 2016
Stacey
Oct 31, 2010
Pamela Bender
rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2014