Start by marking “We Are All Fine Here” as Want to Read:
We Are All Fine Here

We Are All Fine Here

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Julia has been married to Jim for fifteen years, and admittedly, the thrill is mostly gone. So it's no big surprise that, like so many women in her position, she finds herself thinking a bit too much about the one who got away - in Julia's case, the one in question is Ray, the rugged, impulsive lover of her college years. Now pushing forty, trapped in a job she doesn't car ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about We Are All Fine Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are All Fine Here

Fabian
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Aw, man! I mean, I mean, gurrrl. This is exactly the type of iceburg responsible for sinking the Bridget Jones franchise. The third novel AND (long awaited for me) film just really mega sucked. But this is a first novel, & to make the main character so unlikable because of how mundane her life is (buying organic), how troubled her parenting is (the whole novel is about a very unexpected pregnancy--she cheats on her husband and thinks the kid may the other dude's [who she hasn't gotten over, ...more
Danielle
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers
Loved, loved, loved this book. It is my style--that slice of life story that is more rooted in actual life. She writes in such an awesome flip way about these really dark and awful things that ALL of us have to face. I loved it and have tried to pass it along to everyone I have ever met.
Michele
Jul 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
God awful. It's like listening to a seventh grader talking about the boy they like (Does he like me back? He looked at me in 3rd period so that could mean that he likes me but when I passed him in the hall I moved to brush past him and he moved so we didn't actually touch and he wasn't looking at me and what do you think that means? etc.) The main character has confused cynicism with humor. She has nothing to offer those around her but can't understand why they aren't all falling over to worship ...more
Kristin
Nov 15, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: see below
hmmm...don't really know how explain this one! This was reviewed as "laugh out loud funny" - I spent the whole book waiting for a laugh (suppressed or otherwise!) While I didn't find it a painful read, I certainly didn't find it enjoyable. I would recommend this book to those women who have cheated on their husbands, find themselves pregnant and are uncertain as to which man may be responsible for paternity. Or perhaps other readers of questionable moral values may find this a "good read."
Natalie
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: 2007
This book is one of the best I have read in a long time. Funny, sarcastic, and yet it hits on many of life's sad ironic truths.
Ben Loory
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
it looks like chicklit, but it's a harrowingly spiralling, almost beckettian meditation on the inevitability of loss over time. and, like beckett, it's funny as hell... and more than a little crazy...

Ray keeps not calling. He is not going to call me back. This is all so typical and perfect. As if he would call me back! Of all the things I can count on in life, this is the most consistent: that when I need him most, Ray will not be there.

And then the phone rings and I break my cardinal rule of ne
Susane Colasanti
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mary Guterson says the things we're all thinking, but are too afraid to say. She goes there. You will relate to this book.
Heather
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was funny in that sarcastic kind of "isn't it funny how life works out" way.
Marjorie Kubacki
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book proves the adage: Misery loves company. Not one person is this book is happy, all of the people pretty much live miserable lives.
This is a story about a woman who at age 40 finds herself pregnant, but the dilemma arises, is the baby's father her husband ( a sports writer who has his own secret affair going with a young woman in his office) or the college boyfriend ( an egocentric man who cares only for himself). The main character has no redeeming qualities, her only quality at first s
Kathy
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-novels
Julia goes to a wedding and has a tryst with her college boyfriend. She becomes pregnant and doesn’t know if it was from the “never able to commit” old boyfriend or her distant husband. The author writes the thoughts that really do come out of people’s heads.
It has been fun lately to read books that have no educational or historic value, just pure fun. If I would have tried to underline the clever banter in this book, the whole thing would have been marked up. If was fast and fun. I’m not sure I
Sheila
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book as much as I hoped I would. I expected some funny dialog, some interesting insight into this woman's life and family and what I found was a whiny "adult" who couldn't give up her old boyfriend, couldn't give up her life when she was with her old boyfriend and in general a book that made me feel as though I was listening to a teenage girl talk about her life. I must admit the book did have some redeeming qualities at the end of the book when she and her family goes throu ...more
Marilyn
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author, Mary Guterson, is the sister of Snow Falling on Cedars author David Guterson, but I hadn't realized that until after I read the book. Her style is very different from her brother's. Mary is witty and often sarcastic and blunt as she writes from her character's point of view. Several times I laughed out loud, despite this being a rather dark tale. When I finished, I felt so grateful to Mary for writing that I sent her an e-mail telling her so. I'd never attempted to contact an author ...more
Morgue Anne
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, even though it was pretty much cookie-cutter chick lit.
We are all Fine Here follows a woman who becomes pregnant from a one-night encounter with an ex boyfriend. The problem here is that she's already married and has a teenage son. Theren lies the problem.
The only issue I really had was that it was too short. I felt like, even though the story ended at a good point in the woman's life, the author really could have taken it another hundred pages or so.
Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
A not so perfect character, a not so perfect setting and life, but a well written story. This character keeps making big mistakes, but we can sympathize anyway, and still end up liking her. The description makes it sound like typical light chic lit, but it is more than that.
Sara L.
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was a quick, easy read. I go through it in a couple of days. Most of it cracked me up. I didn't exactly see the end coming, and ended up in tears. Wow, what an emotional roller coaster. Great book.
C
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in less then 6 hours. Very quick read. I was laughing from the first page. Then all of a sudden you notice you are not laughing but crying and then the book is done. Good quick read!
Kate Walker
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't really do chick lit, but I loved this. Mostly I loved laying in bed all day and reading the whole thing cover to cover. That is what chick lit is for and it deserves to exist for that reason alone.
Larain
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick fun book.
Suanne Laqueur
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked it. Didn't blow me away, but a wry and brutally honest read. Solid three stars.
Katherine Owen
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It's funny, deftly written. Guterson is a talented writer. This is a fun read for the beach.
Mary Lea
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book... a little sad but still a good read.
Jenene
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Loved this author's style of writing.
Michelle

Julia was horribly unlikable yet lovingly honest at the same time. Interesting and a little dark.
Becki
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Eh. I found it quite boring. I didn't find any of it laugh out loud funny. I didn't fall in love with the main character [and the story is from her point of view:]. It was just... okay, at best.
Alison
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Quick read...hilarious!
Totally could relate. Oh the days of Scuba Steve.
Jan
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I read this book several years ago and really liked it.
I've been waiting for her next book. Is there one?
Camille
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
An honest and original novel which was entertaining and readable.
Kris
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So far, this book is hilarious... Of course, I shouldn't be saying that before page 10.
Sheryl
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I really liked this book, it was a quick read and it touched all my emotions.
Beatrice
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The author has a wonderfully dark, ironic sense of humor. Wonderful voice.
  • The Practice of Deceit
  • It's About Your Husband
  • The Good People of New York
  • Mad About Max
  • The Men I Didn't Marry
  • Perfect Match (Inside Girl, #5)
  • The Marriage Diaries
  • Around the Next Corner
  • Resuscitation (Sami Rizzo #2)
  • The Infidelity Pact
  • Mixed Messages (Love Letters, #2)
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  • The Bradshaw Variations
  • The Calligrapher

“You can live through most anything as long as you have the right tranquilizers on hand.” 4 likes