Start by marking “Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home” as Want to Read:
Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home

Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Brothers and sisters are among the most important people in life! Yet often they are also the most trouble. Many siblings fight, argue and miss out on the close relationship that God intends. The problem is not just the surface battles but the underlying attitudes, wrong concepts and offenses. Many broken relationships never get fixed. Few enjoy the special life-long treas ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Tomorrow's Forefathers Inc (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends

Leah Good
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
My family often receives comments on how well my brother and I get along. Since we are in our mid and late teen years, we find that amusing. At this age we should be able to get along. The sad things is, kids aren’t expected to get along anymore. My brother and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember (sure, we’ve had our spats, but they never lasted long), but this book made me more purposeful about trying to strengthen our friendship. Since strangers often notice how well we like ...more
Hosanna
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
4.5 stars. I'm glad that I read Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends. This book has great points on improving sibling relationships and addresses topics such as bitterness, humility, and praise. I can see myself going back over certain points as I work towards becoming a best friend to my siblings. I also appreciated that the Mallys wrote about how we can not only have good relationships with siblings but also make a difference for Christ with them. They share ministry ideas and how to have ...more
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
“Brothers and sisters are among the most important people in life, yet often they are also the most trouble.”

Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends gives siblings the vision of being allies in this crazy adventure known as life. It is written by a family of two sisters and a brother out of their own experiences. They give practical advice for making sibling relationships the amazing thing they are supposed to be.

This book helped my siblings and I realize that we were on the same team. My famil
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This was good, simply written, and practical. The only section of the chapters that I just didn't get was the self-examination quiz. If you just think of it as something funny to read, it's fine, but I don't really think that is helps you know how you are improving. Mostly I just took this as a reminder that being best friends is really possible. Some of the ideas in the book were really good. I thought ATTACH was too formal, but I plan on doing some more activities with my siblings.
Abigail Rasmussen
This book is a good book to use as a devotional with kids. There are plenty of discussion starter questions to keep you talking around the breakfast or dinner table a long time.

The book is geared more for older kids, around 8-10 through the teenage years. The advice from three sibling young adults is practical as well as their own life examples and stories were encouraging.

bird
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a really fun read for parents of tweens and young children that are having problems with sibling rivalry. It's been years since I read it, but I think there are some sections that may be beneficial to older siblings as well. I remember that it highly amused me and I actually read all of it when my mother handed it to me.
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. While I don't envision the future of our family as harp-wielding prophets for Christ, I think they had a lot of good ideas for siblings and families, starting with praise. I'm going to have my kids say one good thing about each other in the morning and at night. They can ask for prayers over something they're struggling with too. Easy to read. Good message.
Jaymie Starr
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Great book for helping siblings see the treasure they have in each other. Ours enjoyed actually reading different parts & felt like they could really relate to the sibling authors! We have always told our kids that their siblings will always be their best friends no matter what may happen in life. This book encourages that & so much more positive in the sibling relationship.
Andrea
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
We lost our momentum reading this book. Everything in it was good, maybe a little too good. Our kids seemed to think some of the suggestions were beyond their possible realm. I loved how it all tied back to being a good Christian. If we can serve others joyfully, we should be able to serve our own family joyfully.
Kiersten
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I appreciate the premise of this book, which is obviously that a healthy, thriving relationship between siblings is possible and, dare I say, right? Not many books address sibling relationships, so I appreciated finally finding one that was willing to say fighting and rivalry doesn't have to be the norm. My kids will be reading this soon.
Shiloah
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-a-family
An excellent book jam-packed full of wisdom written for kids to learn from, stories, many of which were humorous, ideas to adapt in the family, and positive role models to emulate--the Mally kids. We read this aloud as a family and it was a hit.
Eyebright
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has trouble getting along with their siblings
I love this book! The first time I read it, I just read through it quickly, but now I am going to read it again, carefully.

If you are having problems getting along with your brothers and sisters, I higly recommend this book!
Maam
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, kids
this was such a helpful book on curbing some of the bickering in our home as well as getting our younger girls to focus on being friends. We've reread chapters as needed and that has been an encouragement and help as well too.

Stephanie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction, 2015
The kids really enjoyed this book and liked that it was actually written by kids to kids. However, it's pretty weak in the area of focusing on Jesus and how he is the only person who gives you the power to have great relationships at home. Heavy on great advice, weak on gospel.
Rebecca Rash
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone down to our 8 year old has read and enjoyed this book! Practical, great advice for getting along with siblings, with plenty of humor to keep it a light read - yet one that will impact your family.
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is written by kids and for kids, not something I knew when I started reading it. It was ok for me to read, but I think it would be ideal to have them read to themselves or for all of us to read as a family when they are a bit older.
Audrey
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: raising-children
This is a good book. My children are to young to use it right now but we will go through it together when they are a bit older. It provides many insights and good advice. I wish it had been available when I was living at home with my siblings.
Susannah
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good writing style! Very good read
Brandie
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Written by kids for kids. Justice said, "The oldest one seems to know what's going on in my head." I highly recommend it.
Katy
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I started reading this to the kids this week for obvious reasons! It is really good and I pray helpful for us all.
Catherine
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
The girls and I finally finished this book after reading 2-3 pages each morning for the last several months. It was pretty good.
Kara
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book gives practical, Christ centered advice on strengthening sibling relationships, and it's quite entertaining as well! My children and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it together!
HannahBeth
Nov 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!
This is an excellent book for siblings, and I plan on reading it at least once a year to keep the ideas fresh in my mind! :) I'm reading it right now for the second time...
Peyton
I loved the comics in the book! The message is what families in America need today!! I encourage all families to read it;)
Vicki
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far this book looks pretty good, hope it will help with the situation we constantly deal with at our home!
Elie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Fun read. Good for older child/preteen
"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:14
Sarah Jane
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was reading this book aloud to my family, but haven't done it in a while, I should get back to it... But as far as we have gotten it is really good! :-)
Emily
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! It was well written, and the advise was really amazing! I am really excited to put this book into action! :D
Callie
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book not only focuses on relationships with your siblings but also people in general. I enjoyed that the book was written by three siblings (Sarah, Stephen, and Grace). The book showed each of their viewpoints on a particular subject. I also loved the fact that they used real-life scenarios and scripture passages/illustrations to help prove a point. This is a must read for siblings and families alike!
Brad Larsen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book because of the ambitious title :) It was clearly written and contained a lot of good points about pride, humility, the benefits of siblings praising each other, and the importance of a great sibling relationship. I got a little lost in the over-the-top religiosity of the explanations, but if you can gut that out, the book was a fine read :)
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • Boyhood and Beyond
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • Teddy's Button
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Home-Making
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • So Much More
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Already Gone: Why Your Kids Will Quit Church and What You Can Do to Stop It
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
Sarah Mally is a single young woman with a heart for girls. She is founder of Bright Lights, a discipleship ministry for young ladies, with over 200 chapters in 35 states and 5 countries. She lives in Marion, Iowa
More about Sarah Mally...