Start by marking “More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)” as Want to Read:
More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)

More Than Honor

(Worlds of Honor #1)

Tells how the Harrington family and its tradition of distinguished service in the defence of the realm was founded, and how they discovered treecats. Weber is joined in Honor's universe by two leading science fiction writers, David Drake and S.M. Stirling.
Published January 1st 1998 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about More Than Honor, please sign up.
Leons1701 Not really, though it wouldn't hurt. Some of the later collections introduce characters who later show up in the main series. And outside the main…moreNot really, though it wouldn't hurt. Some of the later collections introduce characters who later show up in the main series. And outside the main series, Crown of Slaves and it's sequels are all about characters introduced in From the Highlands in the third collection (Changer of Worlds). Some stories amplify and clarify certain background events, especially on Haven (Whiff of Grapeshot, Nightfall).
None of it however, is necessary.(less)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This is an anthology of three short stories and a host of technical information (non-story, but about the story universe). The first story is a precursor to one of the David Weber spin-off series about Stephanie Harrington, Honor semi-famous ancestor who was first to befriend a tree cat.

I found the story wonderful and it was one of those rare tales that was something I could share with my daughter. Tree cats, an 11 year old girl, and a mystery over celery and an adventure on a wilderness world.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
2018 re-read. I love the first short story in his collection, as much as any of the main line novels.
James
A collection of three short stories by three different authors, all set in David Weber's Honorverse. As with any anthology it's a mixed bag - the first, from Weber himself, was a delightful tale of the first contact between humans and treecats; the second, from David Drake, was an interesting story of an architectural holiday gone wrong; and finally a frankly meh story from S.M.Stirling set in the peeps part of the universe. The book was then padded out a bit with some universe history and backg ...more
Christopher
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anki
As is often the case with collections of short fiction, I enjoyed some parts of this book better than others.

A Beautiful Friendship (David Weber)
I really liked this story, which chronicles the first meeting between humans and treecats. David Weber later expanded this story into a YA novel with the same title, and as soon as I finished reading this version I went onto the Baen website to purchase and download the novel so I could read it too. I liked seeing more of the treecats as full-fledged ch
Douglas Owen
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 3.5

Interesting, but there are things about the novel that just don't add up.
Thomas
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weber, David, David Drake, and S. M. Stirling. More than Honor. Worlds of Honor No. 1. Baen, 1997.
In the Golden Age of science fiction, publishers often farmed out successful genre series to many low-paid writers, seldom good, mostly bad or indifferent. Tom Swift, for instance, is the creation of many different hands, most of whom are known for nothing else. At least one publisher created a whole fake biography for a phony French writer of routine space opera. These days, we are well used to tel
Jean
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories/novelettes was very uneven.

"A Beautiful Friendship" by David Weber was excellent. It tells the story of the first encounter between treecats and humans. I fell in love with the characters and want to read more.

"A Grand Tour" by David Drake was just horrid. It really had nothing to do with the "Honorverse" other than a few trappings. He could have used "Federation," "warp drive," and "impulse engines" just as easily and it would have had as much to do with the St
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Following GR's rating system, this collection was ok. It wasn't strong enough to stand on its own and it doesn't quite mesh with the main Honor series, but it wasn't painful to read through.

In more detail, for me A Whiff of Grapeshot was the best of the lot; conversely I'm not feeling any inclination to read A Beautiful Friendship after what was a fairly run-of-the-mill First Contact story with very unbelievable and somewhat annoying characters. The last entry on the workings of the universe was
Mario Lopez
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Waste of time. First story is just the first few chapters of A Beautiful Friendship. Second story was boring AF. Third story was actually mildly interesting. Last section was a bunch of dry data that I thought was pretty interesting and is why this book gets two stars instead of one star. I highly recommend skipping this one.
Sam
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must have for fans of Honoverse! Origin story for the treecats and a history primer for the Star Kingdom of Manticore. Also, for fans of David Drake's RCN series, the "Grand Tour" story is an interesting precursor.
Mark
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was already familiar with the first story - A Beautiful Friendship from another of the honorverse stories. Fun read.
Casey Hampton
More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor #1) by David Webber and friends is a collected works within the Honor universe. It consists of the following four parts.
1. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber, narrated by Khristine Hvam.
2. A Grand Tour by David Drake, narrated by Victor Bevine.
3. A Whiff of Grapeshot by S.M. Stirling, narrated by Khristine Hvam.
4. The Universe of Honor Harrington by David Weber, narrated by L. J. Ganser.

This collection starts and ends strong, but sadly sags in the middle unfla
Leons1701
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The first of the Honor Harrington anthologies, it establishes a number of traditions. There's a decent David Weber story, a story about treecats (in this case the same story), a Havenite story, and one story that barely fits at all.

A Beautiful Friendship is the Weber and the treecat story and it's quite good. It's the story of the first meeting between humans and treecats and as alluded to in Honor Among Enemies, it's one of Honor's ancestors that first discovers them. Because celery, of course
Lindsey
The first Honorverse short story collection, with 3 stories and 1 in-universe essay.

"A Beautiful Friendship" is a fun tale about the first treecat-human bonding. Longtime Honor Harrington readers will be unsurprised to discover that the first bonded human was Honor's direct ancestor. This story adds to the Honorverse, showing more of treecat society than any previous book, which helps with the understanding of later, mainstream novels.

"A Grand Tour" was sort of odd. Ostensibly about an extension
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fiction
A book I will advise others to skip as only the first short story is worth a read and that has been released as a standalone book . The rest of the three stories are not worth reading.

1. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber
Loved it .The story introduces us to tree cats and the way the relationship forms with Stephanine is very well portrayed. One will instantly fall in love with both the protagonist - the girl and the cat. The plot and pace of story is just perfect. It’s a story full of advent
John
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Four short stories in David Weber's Honorverse.

1) A Beautiful Friendship. (by David Weber) -- Same as the first half of the newer young adult novel with the same name. Covers how the young Stephanie Harrington became the first person to discover treecats. An excellent story, even had me tear up a bit at one point. (5/5).

2) A Grand Tour (by David Drake). Featuring Edith Mincio / Hakon Nessler in an combo archeological affair and dealings with more of the People's Republic of Haven in a small mili
David
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This collection of tales from the Honorverse was mostly filled with jewels.
"A Beautiful Friendship", in which Weber showcases the first bonding of human and treecat, was wonderful and insightful, making one think back on the Nimitz scenes in the novels and look upon them in a new light.

"A Grand Tour" by David Drake had some interesting moments, like the details on the Alphanes, but some depictions of Peeps and Solarians felt off and uncharacteristic in comparison to the Honorverse source mate
Michael
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book contains 3 short stories that take place in the "Honorverse". The first by David Weber is "A Beautiful Friendship" It recounts the story of the first bonding between a Treecat and a human. The human was Stephanine Harrington, an early relative of Honor Harrington.
The second story is "A Grand Tour" by David Drake. It tells the tale of a conflict between the "Peeps" and a retired Manticorian Navel Officer. This story read much like a Lt. Leary story.
The third story by S.M. Stirling is "A
Vickey Foggin
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Meh. The first story about Honor's 11-year-old ancestor developing the first bond with a treecat was an interesting subject but a poor execution. David Weber doesn't know how to write for youth, he writes down to them. Makes me wary of his young adult spinoff series. The second story about space archaeologists was filled with adventure tropes and clearly a standalone that had been reskinned to fit into the Honorverse. The third details exactly how Esther McQueen saved the Committee from the Leve ...more
Annette
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Meh. Weber's account of the first treecat-human bonding was worthwhile, but not spectacular. Drake's entry "A Grand Tour" was surprisingly poor in characterization, pacing, and etc. It's been years since I've read Drake and I'm wondering if he really is "all that." Stirling's "Whiff of Grapeshot" was solid: certainly you'll never find a poorly written character or snatch of dialog from him. But, it covered events we already knew about. The appendix-style info at the end of the collection from We ...more
Kathy Davie
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, homey, action, sci-fi
Interesting collection of short stories. The first, A Beautiful Friendship tells the tale of how the first treecat met Honor's ancestor, Stephanie Harrington.

David Drake's A Grand Tour was a lovely bit of revenge on two fronts---against dishonorable Peeps and an artifact-stealing Duke.

S. M. Stirling's Whiff of Grapeshot finally provides the background on Esther McQueen's fateful decision in the attack of the Levelers against the Committee of Public Safety in Nouveau Paris.

Lastly, Weber's Univer
Kathi
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I really liked the first story about Honor's ancestor and the first contact with the tree cats on Sphinx, as well as the third story about the Levellers' uprising in Nouveau Paris. The second story, about the scientists studying pre-human spacefarers' artifacts, with a standoff between the Peeps and Manticore thrown in, seemed like it would make the basis for a longer and more fleshed-out book rather than contributing to our understanding of the Honorverse. I even read the giant info dump at the ...more
Nyssa
"A Beautiful Friendship" is the best part of this anthology. I loved this story.

The other two "A Grand Tour" and "A Whiff of Grapeshot", I found less enjoyable, however. "A Grand Tour" didn't seem to make much sense, and "A Whiff of Grapeshot" was quite gruesome, although it was an interesting look at the political developments of the PRH. It does leave me to wonder what will happen next, where they are concerned.

The remainder of the anthology, "The Universe of Honor Harrington" is a very inte
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Product Description

About the Author

David Weber is one of the top science fiction writers of the 1990s whose acclaimed Honor Harrington series has gained him a devoted and dedicated readership. His many other books include the epic fantasie

Bill
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Following the Honor Harrington stories in chronological order, these are back stories for On Basilisk Station, the first Honor Harrington novel.
1. The Universe of Honor Harrington by David Weber
2. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber (Stephanie Harrington is the first human to bond with a treecat)

15. A Grand Tour by David Drake (follows The Short Victorious War; has the flavor of a Lt. Leary story rather than Hammer Slammers)

21. A Whiff of Grapeshot by S. M. Stirling (follows Honor Among Enemie
Carl Bussema
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
the first story was a great look at how treecat and human societies came to be linked.

the second story was so awful I couldn't finish it.

the third story tells about events on haven that were referenced in other hh novels and was a very good read.

the appendix contains a wealth of information, much of which had been printed in earlier novels.I recommend skimming this section for parts that interest you.

even for the most die-hard honor fan, this anthology is not worth owning, so I recommend interes
M
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
David Weber allows a few guest writers to help play in the Honor Harrington sandbox, with mixed results. Weber bookends the collection with a great opener of the first treecat adoption, but concludes with a lengthy explanatory guidebook on politics, weapons, star systems, and the universe of Honor Harrington. David Drake pens a forgetable tale on the fringes of the cast of characters while S.M. Sterling's look at radical Havenite's leaves one wanting Weber to return to his creations.
Edward Davies
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-reads
A great opening story, which tells the story of the first meeting between Treecats and humans as one of Honor's young ancestors finds herself part of the first bonding between the two species, is spoiled in part by the lacklustre follow-up stories. The concluding part of the book, almost a hundred pages about how technology works in the universe of Honor Harrington, is well imagined but more than a little unnecessary.
Ab
I've already read Beautiful Friendship before as a separate book, and loved it.
The second story was the least interesting. Esther McQueen's story was really great, maybe because it is most connected to Honor H. series. I can totally see Weber having nirvana in the last part: he could finally do his info-dumps without limits :)

Overall, I agree with this review.

• The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • Destiny's Shield (Belisarius, #3)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Honor of the Clan (Posleen War: Cally's War, #3)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Worlds of Honor (6 books)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)