Start by marking “Tails You Win” as Want to Read:
Tails You Win

Tails You Win

Tails You Win is an engaging collection of poems written from the dogs perspective. It is the seventh book of original metric rhyming verse by Gill Rowe and contains beautiful hand-drawn illustrations.

Starting with the Afghan Hound and Airedale Terrier, Tails You Win charmingly encapsulates the traits and personalities of fifty different dogs. Whether youre dotty about
Published January 28th 2020 by The Book Guild

To ask other readers questions about Tails You Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tails You Win

Start your review of Tails You Win
Zainab
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Just a tad bit mad that there wasn't anything about German Shepherds but otherwise I think it's pretty informative in a fun way.
Christine Picard
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anglais, poésie
Very short poetry collection. Interesting because it's in the dog's perspective and each breed has a distinctive voice, cute words and nice things said about each breed. But that's all it is. Too short, too cute and polished, maybe.

May be good for young (Young!) kids as an introduction to poetry but nothing more.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A nice collection of poems about our canine friends and some lovely illustrations Togo with some of the poems too . A nice collection for the dog lover in your life.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Keira
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: review-copies
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Usually when I DNF books I don't give them a rating. That being said, I feel that in this case I can, simply because this is a collection of poems which stand on their own. 2 stars, you might think, is a particularly high rating for a book I did not finish, especially when I give plenty of books which I do finish the same rating, but that is because this book is NOT bad. It's simply not the kind of thing I read.
Roula
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book. The book is a selection of poetry written from dogs perspective and each poem corresponds to a certain breed of dog. I loved the way it was written and I enjoyed reading this a lot! The verse form gave the information a bit more edge and made it much more fun and dynamic to read and I got to know about a lot of dog breeds that I didnt know about before! Also, I loved the illustrations! If the author releases a similar ...more
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I LOVE dogs, so I simply had to read this collection of poems about them.

It was fairly entertaining, though I have to admit that I expected something a bit more funny, and maybe a bit better rhymes, too. I dont know. It was okay, though.

This books strength is how well it characterizes the different breeds. Not only with the words themselves but also with the versification and style. I loved this aspect! This should have been a game when one reads the poem and the other dog-lover should guess
DeAnne
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.

I was intrigued by the concept of this poetry collection and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I was in the mood for something fun that would make me smile and this collection certainly did that. Each poem in this collection address a different breed a dog (granted, not every breed is represented) and works through the alphabet.

Each poem's language and format is tailored to the breed as well, so a breed that may be more active
Jill
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are a dog lover you will love this book of poems about our best friends, dogs!! This book covers all different breads and each poem is tailored to their personality and special traits. Really sweet drawings of dogs accompany some of the poems.
Annie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly wonderful Book of Poems about our Canine Friends & Companions from their perspective about their own Breeds High & Low points. I especially liked the one about the Bagel ( & yes this is a Breed it's a cross between a Beagle & a Basset Hound ). I also greatly enjoyed those about The Old English Sheep Dog ( Dulux Paint Dog ) & finally The Yorkshire Terrier.
For anyone who has or does own Dogs this is a delightful Book to read.
Emily
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
A collection of poems on different dog breeds written from their perspective. Featuring gems of lines such as, and I quote, 'For my collie mum was pleasured/by the visiting thatchers lab' and 'I have a broad chest. I am stocky in build./I don't mind how many creatures I've killed'
Some, like that of the cockerpoo are on point, especially to those who've ever had the breed, though reading back I'm not as sure. Others less so. Again, some of the poems flow well, others flow until abruptly
Petra
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Tails You Win is a collection of poems written from the perspective of different dog breeds, sorted alphabetically from A to Z, accompanied by illustrations of some of the breeds.

It's a cute enough concept, but I did have some issues with its execution...

First off, if there was ever a book in need of more illustrations, it's this one. I adore dogs but am useless with breed names (and that's before we even get to the
J Earl
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm going with a middle of the scale rating because this collection, Tails You Win from Gill Rowe, was just that, middling. It neither met my initial expectations nor gave me a reasonable set of expectations that I could say it met.

I was expecting something a little on the cute side. This is a book written from the dog's perspective so even any meaningful tidbits weren't going to be deep. This isn't that type of poetry and to think it would be deep is more a comment about you than the book. That
Lauren
Jan 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
So I was hoping to really enjoy this book, it seemed like a dorky dive into a fellow animal lovers glee over these animals we don't deserve. The author's passion certainly came through loud and clear but unfortunately the poetry was weak and juvenile. I expected silly, so the fact that it was all in rhyme wasn't too surprising. Rhyme causes a natural cadence to set in a you read, and the rhythms were terribly awkward. Just didn't work for me. It was a distraction. The content became redundant ...more
Anjali (This Splendid Shambles)
Thank you to Netgalley who provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so much fun! I'm a big dog lover, so reading through each poem was a joy. The author really captures each breed's unique and distinct traits and personalities, and I laughed and totally agreed when I came across poems about dogs that I've had in the past. (How accurate is that Springer Spaniel poem? And the Labrador one! Gold.)

While I didn't love all the poems, and some of the
Maria
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks #NetGalley for the review copy of #TailsYouWin

This was a cute collection of silly poems about dogs from the first-person (first-dog?) perspective of each breed, but after the 3rd or 4th poem it all started kind of blending together because they felt so similar in all aspects. I think if this book were edited to have larger full-color drawings for each breed, it could make a great book for elementary-age children. For adults, it's an amusing concept but just gets too monotonous to be that
Maria Flaherty
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
'Tails You Win' is an adorable collection of poetry by Gill Rowe, all with a common theme - do9s!
It is the seventh book of original metric rhyming verse by Rowe and contains several beautiful illustrations. Each poem is told from the perspective of the dog described (eg a basset hound talking about himself) and are hilarious. I loved the drawings aswell which are all hand-drawn.
If you are a dog fan, then I absolutely recommend that you read this book.
I just reviewed Tails You Win by Gill
Amanda
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I have a couple of students who are crazy about dogs. I may select particular poems in this book to work on appropriate pace and fluency with repeated readings. The poems are cute, though some of the rhyming doesn't feel overly natural. The drawings are lovely, but not what I expected based on the cover illustration. I received this book as an ARC from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
kimreadsandreads
I like poetry, and I love dogs. I seriously expected to love this collection of poems written from dogs perspectives. Each breed featured has its own tale/tail. Unfortunately the poems were not to my taste, they didnt flow as I usually like. I enjoyed the novelty of having them rhyme, I dont see a lot of that in the poems I read.

There were some clever stanzas and the illustrations were nice too. I really think some people will enjoy this book a lot, it just wasnt my own preferred style.
Beth Younge
This was a cute little poetry collection. I liked how each dog's voice was distinctive and it had a cute and heart warming message at the center. This book would make a wonderful stocking filler gift for someone as it is short and very, very sweet.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Mandy Hazen
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of cats. I do like dogs. But I was intrigued to see how this book would work - poetry about dogs. Very interesting concept - alphabetical order of dog breeds. I enjoyed the pictures when I wasnt sure what dog breed it was and there was quite a few breeds I wasnt even aware of. Quick and entertaining. ...more
Kelly Long
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I guess I was expecting something more from this book. The poems were so-so but the illustrations were fairly good. I didn't like that parts about certain breeds as "fighting" dogs. I am a big lover of dogs but this didn't quite work for me.
Bonnie Kernene
This was a book of poems about the different breeds of dogs. Most of the poems were short and very easy to read. The book itself was a quick read. The poems were nice and written well. There were some drawings as well that were nice. Somehow, even though it was written nicely, it just did not engage me. But it was written well. If you like dogs and poetry, you would probably enjoy this book.
Tamara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I got an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

A collection for dog lovers! Loved how the poems described various dog breeds. I also liked the illustrations. The style felt a bit childish but it was still an okay collection!
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Belle
Jan 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Offensive, problematic and disappointing.
Jess Smiley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of poems and line drawings for all manner of breeds of dog lovers. Each poem is a glimpse into the nature of the eponymous canine, coupled with a portrait.
Maria
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
As someone of the canine persuasion, I jumped at the opportunity to read this entertaining collection of poems. I enjoyed how the personalities of some of the breeds came through. Some were not quite as clear.
I strongly believe the book would have benefited from pictures of each of the different breeds. It would have allowed for a more fluid read rather than the stop and search google method I found myself using for breeds that I was unfamiliar with. I found it lacked some common breeds which
Fran
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Great idea and Im sure some dog lovers will greatly enjoy the supposedly breed-specific poetry. Im afraid I was a bit disappointed. Perhaps the author took on too many subjects...many of the selections seemed terribly weak. ...more
Renee
Jan 22, 2020

• Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • I Hope You Stay