Jump to ratings and reviews

Fake It Til You Bake It

Emery St. James never dreamed of being a contestant in one of those dramatic baking contests. But then her life turned into a reality show of epic proportions.
Owning a bakery was her childhood dream – and the pompous rich boy who opens a French pastry café right down the street, her worst nightmare. The last thing she needs as she struggles to make ends meet is competition. Even more annoyingly, competition by the name of Marshall Bartlett, who has the nerve to steal her parking spot and insult her bakery. But putting Marshall out of her mind isn’t a piece of cake. Not when both families attempt to broker peace by blackmailing them into five “get to know you” dates, and especially not when Emery’s sex-starved grandmother is chaperoning from afar.
Will their dates go down as easily as Emery’s cherry cobbler, or will they be a recipe for disaster?

Kindle Edition

24 books103 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (6%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews
Profile Image for Vinessa.
1,932 reviews18 followers
May 20, 2020
Wow, this book.
I did not put it down.
Hilarious
Gramma Gladys is bat nutty crazy awesome.
Franklin is a hoot
This is Emery and Marshall's love story.
It all starts with a bakery and a french pastry shop.
Marshall just moved to Texas to open his pastry shop a few doors down from Emerys bakery.
She is fun, sassy, fiery and a little petty but sweet, passionate and loyal.
They want to dislike each other well she wants to dislike him
Their back stories are both horrible but different .
They both have everything in the shops.
When they are forced to go on five dates after an incident with a cherry cobbler and her mothers white carpet they somehow managed to fall in love.
But love is not simply a word
The drama that follows them is hilarious, emotional and serious.
Read about how Emery has always wanted to ride a horse and how their date takes that to a whole new level. Is gramma Gladys wearing chaps.
This book will have you in stiches, tears and growling.
Marshall's family is no way near as crazy as Emery's brood but they have their bad egg. That would be Clint, sad soul addict and alcoholic with a deep competitive jealousy of Marshall. But he went to far.
Molly, Marshall's ex fiancée makes herself known nearly causing Marshall to lose Emery.
I'm not sure if the fire was fate or not but it brought the two lovers together and stronger than ever
This story is deep, it has triggers it is sensual, passionate, hilarious and very serious it was engaging and entertaining.

Profile Image for Allyssa Painter.
Author 3 books27 followers
June 26, 2020
Let me start by saying: This wasn't a bad book. It just wasn't quite my kind of book.

What I liked: I liked the overall plot and concept of this book. I liked watching the relationship grow between the characters. And I liked the ~idea~ of the best friend and grandma.

What I didn't like: It was much more raunchy than I expected. Now, I can handle a sex scene or two in books, and some innuendo, but this was over-the-top. And it wasn't even the sex scenes that got to me. It was the constant dialogue about sex and sex-related topics. It was too much. I liked the idea of the gay best friend who's a little naughty and I liked the idea of the naughty grandma. If they were toned down a little, I would have liked this book. But they weren't. They were way over the top. It was constant talk about scantily clad men, butt plugs, and more. Also, if I ever read the phrase "F*** a Duck" again, it'll be too soon. Seriously, I could have played a drinking game with that phrase, but I would have died of alcohol poisoning before I even reached the climax of the story.

So, all in all, the story is good, and if you don't mind lewdness and the phrase "F*** a Duck" you'll probably love this book. However, it was just not my style. It was just too much for me and I just could not in good conscience rate it higher. I wouldn't read it again, but it wasn't a bad read overall. Hope that helps!

Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,747 reviews52 followers
March 7, 2020
With the help of her family and friends Emery has achieved her dream of opening her own bakery and her business is growing but the last thing she needs is the competition from a French pastry shop in her neighborhood. Due to a betrayal Marshall finds his career and life in Las Vegas destroyed so he heads to his hometown for a new beginning and to be close to his family.

Although their first meeting didn’t go well with the help of their matchmaking mothers Marshall and Emery find themselves coerced into going on five dates and they may just realize that together they create the perfect recipe.

Emery and Marshall are perfect together while the great cast of secondary characters including her grandmother, her gay best friend and his brothers provide the perfect combination of humor and heart.
2,463 reviews8 followers
July 17, 2020
This is my first time reading something by Ms. Cyr and I really enjoyed it. This is a such a cute and fun story! Marshall has just moved to town and has opened his pastry shop a few doors down from Emery's bakery. Emery is fun and sassy and of course wants to hate Marshall for opening his shop so close to hers. After going on a few dates they start to soften towards each other. There are so many fun and laugh out loud moments as you follow them along their journey to love. They both have issues from their past they need to deal with before they can move forward with their future. This is a really sweet and charming story and I enjoyed it very much and look forward to reading more by this author.

382 reviews2 followers
June 19, 2020
Emery owns a bakery where the towns sweetest and most popular treats are made. Marshall is opening a pastery shop 2 blocks over. He does not foresee a problem but Emery does. Marshall is attracted to the hothead yelling at him every chance she gets. As a punishment for a ruined dinner party both mothers force them to go on a few dates. What starts a requirement becomes a pleasure. This story runs you through all the feels. Yoy will get mad, laugh, cry and fall in love. All the over top characters will keep you looking for more.

Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.6k reviews187 followers
June 20, 2020
Emery St. James finally made her dream come true of owning her own bakery. Life was good, until the rich guy, Marshall Bartlett, showed up and opened a French pastry café down the street to draw business away from her! The man even audaciously stole her parking spot!

But to foster a truce between them, their families force them into trying just five innocent “get to know you” dates. Between the main characters and the amazing secondary characters, this book will keep you laughing and cheering from start to finish! Does anyone see a merger in the future?
5 reviews
March 6, 2020
Want romance? Want arguing? Want heat that will make your panties drop? Throw in a wacky crazy grandma and this Rom Com will not disappoint. I could not put this book down! I love the sweet treats this book painted my imagination. From the boozey cupcakes to the “canned icing” I was laughing and crying. My heart would race and my cheeks heated. What an amazing balance of sweet and sexy! Plus you’ll want to get up and bake after you finish reading!
Profile Image for Melinda Swaine.
1,401 reviews11 followers
June 3, 2020
A sexy, cute, swoon worthy read!!

A funny, sexy, sweet rom-com from a fresh, sparkling new author to me. Once you start reading, you won’t be able to put it down. Fake It Til You Bake It is the kind of story that makes your bookish romantic heart sing. Emily Cyr delivers a sexy, cute, swoon-worthy read. Can’t wait to read more book like this one from this awesome author. Happy reading everyone!!
740 reviews34 followers
May 28, 2020
I found myself laughing a lot while reading this. Several of the obstacles and misunderstandings were just hilarious. The grandma was funny all by herself. The romance between Emery and Marshall was sweet with a bit of steam and I enjoyed reading as it played out.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review, but my opinions are my own.
808 reviews4 followers
June 8, 2020
Enjoyable enemies to lovers book. Both love baking. She sees him as threat, he sees her as a prospect cooperative. But they childish behaviour lands them in trouble. How would it end????? Nicely written and composed story. Enjoyable and funny.

1,731 reviews4 followers
June 20, 2020

I loved this book Fake it Till You Bake It, it was amazing. It takes place around a bakery shops. It's Emery and Marshall's story that had me laughing out loud at times with the flamboyant friend, the grandmother and two rival bakers. It was sweet, romantic and a heart touching story that I loved.

Profile Image for Ashleigh.
3,411 reviews1 follower
June 25, 2020
Great characters that will keep your interest extremely well.
I'm not going to go into detail, no spoilers, just read the book if you are even mildly intrigued by the blurb. You'll thank me later!

The chemistry, sweetness, and twists in plot kept things interesting. Add in drama and passion and you have a good read.

I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Elizabeth McDaniel.
2,316 reviews
August 4, 2020
Emery owned their small town bakery. Marshall was moving to get close to his family and open his own pastry shop. He felt sparks for the spitfire baker but winning her over was going to be a hard but fun time. This was a fun read with interesting and funny characters.

3,164 reviews24 followers
June 12, 2020
The book is a good romantic comedy read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable funny romance read.

647 reviews3 followers
June 17, 2020
It’s a cute story. Characters are good even if emery has the tendency to speak and act before thinking she is a bit too rash.

4,219 reviews22 followers
June 20, 2020
The story line was great, the character work was fantastic and had a good flow to it. This was a quick, fun read which kept me laughing throughout the book.

Profile Image for Monica.
123 reviews
June 30, 2020
Fake it will you bake it, was my first read by Emily Cyr and all I can say is where has she been all my life! I loved the crazy over the top grandmother, this book has it all and it’s such a fun read.

560 reviews1 follower
May 5, 2021
An hilarious story! I laughed so much! Emery was a ingenious girl that had a gay friend and a crazy Granny. Oh, and did I tell you she owned a donut shop. Here comes Marshall, a guy that is going to open a French pastry shop. The times are hard, loving and so much fun to read about, please read!
Profile Image for Amaris.
45 reviews
May 25, 2020
This book was such a sweet and cute small town romance. Really love to book can’t wait to read more from this author
Profile Image for Catarina Águas.
1,556 reviews33 followers
June 7, 2020
I liked it but it felt like some parts were forced when it cames to comedy
Profile Image for Sharon Mills.
189 reviews
March 29, 2021
what a read

this was fantastic!!!.emerys grandma is absolutely amazing
she is totally sophia from the golden girls withq seriously dirty mind

i Loved this read it was hilarious!!
1,380 reviews
March 31, 2021
Let me tell you it's hilarious

I'm not sure who gets to decide that. I thought the h was a bit of a grump. I did feel sorry for the H.
Profile Image for Laronda.
633 reviews3 followers
April 26, 2021
Fun, quick read

First time reading this author and I really enjoyed this story. There were a couple of annoying things but for the most part it was funny and fast-paced.
Profile Image for Shelby (BookLoversHaveMoreFun).
1,198 reviews34 followers
March 9, 2020
Fake it Til You Bake It was my first read by Emily and I really LOVED it.

The cover was the first thing that attracted my attention. It's very CUTE and stands out.

This book had me laughing my ass off almost immediately!!! Because of that I knew I found a winner. From a crazy grandmother, a flamboyant best friend, to two rival bakers.

I also loved that this book just wasn't nonstop laughs, but there were some serious moments/issues.

I'm so looking forward to the rest of the books in this series and finding out who they're about!!!
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.