Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Collected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Collected Short Stories
Edith Wharton
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Collected Short Stories

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
edited by Anita Brookner
Published (first published 1937)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Collected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Short Stories

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, tbr-list
This 600+ page collection provides a generous 28 story sampling of the 87 short stories Edith Wharton wrote. She is quoted as saying short stories are about situation, while novels are about character, but there is plenty of both displayed here. It's the kind of book where you would have a different collection of favorites every time you read it, since the stories range from portrayals of social mores, to explorations of relationships, to the supernatural, and character sketches. What I loved (t ...more
Jenna Hazzard
Short stories included on this audiobook:
The Eyes, The Daunt Diana, The Debt, and The Moving Finger

I appreciated the skill of the writer and the themes that are looked at in these short stories. However, these stories are all about upper class Victorian-esque characters which isn't what usually interests me. These stories take a little bit to get into, and I definitely missed some of the details, but overall I enjoyed it.

Edith Wharton isn't an author that I'm dying to read more of, but I'm also
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it seems like I've been reading this book for a month I have; but it's a super long book, so there. 28 stories, only one of which (the amaaazing ghost story, "Afterward") I had read before. At any rate 95% of these I loved because they are fantastic; I may not have liked the plots of the other 5% but still enjoyed them because, well, Edith wrote them and who else writes like her?

Favorites, urg, let me see: "Autres Temps...", "Pomegrante Seed", "All Souls'", "The Lamp of Psyche", "The Moving F
I always fall into Wharton's writing, like an old wingback chair. Her stories follow similar lines as her stories and I believe all of her novels came out of a short story, but I think that's probably pretty common. My favorite story would be perfect to read around the fire on All Hallows Eve--The Lady Maid's Bell.

If you prefer a novel, I would recommend Wharton's Glimpses of the Moon and Age of Innocence.
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Edith Wharton's sense of societal irony is unparalleled - it's especially chilling when her characters use truth as a subtle weapon.

Also, if you haven't read Wharton's ghost stories, you're missing out, particularly in the Halloween season.
Julie Mercer
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All were near perfect
Love Wharton in doses, good to read and pick back up when the mood strikes!
rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2011
rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2008
rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2008
rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2011
rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2009
Marguerite Berger
rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Alice H. Megerlin
rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
New World Publishers, LLC
rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Sandra Jackson
rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Linda K
rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2010
rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2007
rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2011
rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2009
Aaron A.
rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2008
rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Cece Katz
rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...