Start by marking “Collected Short Stories” as Want to Read:

Edith Wharton

Collected Short Stories

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
edited by Anita Brookner
Published (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Short Stories

Susan
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, tbr-list
This 600+ page collection provides a generous 28 story sampling of the 87 short stories Edith Wharton wrote. She is quoted as saying short stories are about situation, while novels are about character, but there is plenty of both displayed here. It's the kind of book where you would have a different collection of favorites every time you read it, since the stories range from portrayals of social mores, to explorations of relationships, to the supernatural, and character sketches. What I loved (t ...more
Jenna Hazzard
Short stories included on this audiobook:
The Eyes, The Daunt Diana, The Debt, and The Moving Finger

I appreciated the skill of the writer and the themes that are looked at in these short stories. However, these stories are all about upper class Victorian-esque characters which isn't what usually interests me. These stories take a little bit to get into, and I definitely missed some of the details, but overall I enjoyed it.

Edith Wharton isn't an author that I'm dying to read more of, but I'm also
Jessica
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it seems like I've been reading this book for a month I have; but it's a super long book, so there. 28 stories, only one of which (the amaaazing ghost story, "Afterward") I had read before. At any rate 95% of these I loved because they are fantastic; I may not have liked the plots of the other 5% but still enjoyed them because, well, Edith wrote them and who else writes like her?

Favorites, urg, let me see: "Autres Temps...", "Pomegrante Seed", "All Souls'", "The Lamp of Psyche", "The Moving F
Erica
I always fall into Wharton's writing, like an old wingback chair. Her stories follow similar lines as her stories and I believe all of her novels came out of a short story, but I think that's probably pretty common. My favorite story would be perfect to read around the fire on All Hallows Eve--The Lady Maid's Bell.

If you prefer a novel, I would recommend Wharton's Glimpses of the Moon and Age of Innocence.
Adrienne
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Edith Wharton's sense of societal irony is unparalleled - it's especially chilling when her characters use truth as a subtle weapon.

Also, if you haven't read Wharton's ghost stories, you're missing out, particularly in the Halloween season.
Julie Mercer
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT!
Sarahjane
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All were near perfect
Suzanne
Love Wharton in doses, good to read and pick back up when the mood strikes!
Patrick
Jan 11, 2013
Amy
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...