Start by marking “19 Love Songs” as Want to Read:

19 Love Songs

Published January 9th 2020 by Electric Monkey (first published January 7th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about 19 Love Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 19 Love Songs

Start your review of 19 Love Songs
Larry H
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
19 Love Songs , David Levithan's newest book, is a collection of stories and verse celebrating the big and small moments of love, life, relationships, and finding yourself. It was so fantastic!

"He liked the idea that when you fall in love with someone, the other person becomes your lighthouse keeper, even if it means staying up all night, even if it means staring out into the darkness until the darkness assumes the shape of your love and comes back to you."

In this collection, Levithan explores
Tucker
Jun 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
why aren't more people freaking out about this?
Andrew
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq, nonfiction
Every Valentine's Day, Levithan writes a short story to send to his dear friends. I've heard about this for years, and finally, some of those Valentine stories are released and included in this collection! All sorts of love in these nineteen stories are explored; romantic, familial, true friendships... a portion of them being tales from his own life. Each story, whether one I've read before or not, warmed my emotional insides. His signature soft, poetic way of phrasing mood and experiences will ...more
Katsumi
Umm, EXCUSE ME, but why did no one tell me David Levithan has a new book coming out ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
1/17/20:

THIS HAS A IN IT.

I FREAKING CHOKED.

I mean, I haven't read Someday yet... I know, I'm just not ready... aagh. I'll do it. I'll have to read Someday before this so I can read this on Valentine's Day.

But... still...

I love Every Day so much.

Really pumped for this.
Erin
This is such a beautiful book. These stories are lovely, they're charming, they're gentle and loving and good. Every single one of these stories was something heartwrenching in the most wonderful possible way.
Wild
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T KNEW ABOUT THIS BEFORE!!!! WE GET MORE TWO BOYS KISSING STORIES MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE!!
Eli
FEB 2-14 2020
3 Stars

With the cheesy, the bitter, and the heartfelt, Levithan is back.

I have never been able to dislike anything I’ve read from David Levithan. I think that is because no matter how cheesy some of his love stories get, they’re always emotional and thought provoking way beyond reading the last line and closing the book for the first time. When I think of books, I’ve never not thought of Two Boys Kissing. I don’t think I’ll stop thinking about some of these stories
MMill
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
True confession: I have attitude about short stories. I either get invested and then it’s over too fast (rare), or because there’s so little time/space, you don’t get a full story or complete characters and I just feel cheated (far more often). I’ve read a few YA anthologies in the last several years that I’ve enjoyed more than I expected and where the majority of the stories are pretty strong. There was a winter/holiday one, a Halloween one, and a summer one. So I thought I’d give this one a ...more
Ben
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-bookshelf
4.5/5 I loved this compilation! It's a beautiful, sentimental blend of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and graphic novel. David Levithan is one of my favorite authors, and this was a perfect (new) choice for Valentine's week. It's a reminder to remember to love yourself for who you are and to not settle for less. He also includes a lovely portrait of his parents' relationship; how it began and how it unfolded. There's something here for everyone.
Jamie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, arc
I was just not in the mood for this like I had hoped. It's not that the stories were bad...I just wasn't into it. If you have read his other works, you will find familiar characters in these "songs".

However, all teachers and librarians should listen to/read the 19th song...thank you Mr. Levithan for such a wonderful reminder. Almost had me crying.
Carly Bohach
I went back in forth about how many stars to give this. When the stories were great, they were really great! The others just fell short for me. I've loved Levithan since Two Boys Kissing. He writing is wonderful and thoughtful.
Sharon
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet compilation of beautifully written, truly heartfelt stories.
Danielle
One thing I really wish I had known going in was that the majority of the 19 short stories were previously published in other YA anthologies. This isn't a problem, but once I hit the third story that I'd already read, I was kind of frustrated. The end notes acknowledge that most of the stories have been published already, but that isn't apparent upfront.

The previously published worksand their anthologies are: Quiz Bowl Antichrist from Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd, The Good Girls from
Samantharia
I always have a really hard time reviewing Levithans books, which is why, for the most part, I just't don't do it. They just always seem so real and get to me in a very personal way. I couldn't possible express these emotions in the right way. On top of that there are some (really beautifully written) autobiographic stories in "19 Love Songs" as well. They were extremely enjoyable and (at least to me) felt like actually listening to David Levithan and not just reading about his life. But that ...more
Andrea van Wyk
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There was a moment when they stopped and looked at each other. A little snow fell on Ryan's shoulder and dusted his hair. He didn't notice. Not until he was inside and Avery was brushing it off, using it as an excuse for an immediate touch, a welcome that started at the top of his head and worked its way to the side of his face and down his neck."

If you want something romantic for this month of love, that won't make you gag, this charming collection of short stories, poems and a strip cartoon
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 16-18, 14-15
A well-known ya author compiles a 19-track mixtape. Each far too long to get any radio play

But seriously, Levithan’s collection of Valentine’s-inspired stories is a gorgeous exploration of all types of love.

Born from his annual tradition of celebrating the holiday by sharing stories with friends, it presents a satisfying blend of familiar and new faces—and fiction, verse, and memoir.

If I’m being totally honest, not every one was for me. But that’s what makes this collection so special. It feels
Robert Kingett
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writing a love story every year for friends may seem like a very boring book. But, OMG. The writing. The stories. It’s like having like 20 complete books all in one audiobook. The narrators were great, the writing was great. The stories made me feel all the feels. I just can’t say enough good things about this collection. I was initially worried that some of the stories were going to blend in together, but! Nope! Also, Two Boys Kissing is back in short story form. This made me cry. Just read ...more
Becca
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
19 Love Songs is David Levithan's latest release. It is a collection of 19 short stories featuring love, life and relationships.

To say I enjoyed these stories is an understatement. They were cute, they were heartfelt, and they were charming.

Each one is special in its own way. Fans of Levithan's other novels will recognise some reoccurring characters which was a nice surprise.

Overall, if you like cute stories, this one is definitely for you! It's the perfect book for Valentine's Day, or when
Susie Dumond
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of queer love stories is pure joy. Each Valentine's Day, David Levithan writes a short love story for friends. Together, the 19 stories included in 19 LOVE SONGS make for a celebration of love and human connection, both small and large moments. I love the perspective Levithan creates with these characters, and the way the smallest gesture can tell so much about these relationships. The jump from story to story was a bit jarring at times, as these were written across such a large ...more
Shannon Kitchens
1. "Quiz Bowl Antichrist" - 4 stars - Very cute and I loved the line, "Because while the quiz bowlers were mawkish and awkward, the faculty advisors were downright weird, wearing their best suits from 1980 and beaming like they'd finally gone from zeros to heroes in their own massively revised high school years."

2. "Day 2934" - 4 stars - a poignant little story that would probably mean more if I'd ever read Every Day.

3. "The Good Girls" - 3 stars - I really resonate with this what I'm guessing
Ser
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read everything David Levithan has written and I haven't loved everything of his I've read, but I have loved so much of it. And this collection captures so much about what I love about Levithan's writing: the love in his love stories is messy and imperfect and so much bigger than just falling-in-love love and many of his characters are young and queer.

And these stories, put together, do the same thing as a mixed tape or CD: they build. Track 18: "We" made me cry in the best way.

I put
Jason Hood
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled across the latest Levithan while browsing The Strand. As always, I was pulled in by the language and how he so perfectly and quietly articulates the corners of the heart, be it pulsing with discovery or broken by loss. This collection of stories found me in the familiar place of reading a line or phrase and immediately wanting to share it. One of favorites, “Words were my tools of creation. And love, I learned, is a constant act of creation, just as creation is almost always an act of ...more
Nadia King
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Levithan has written a collection of short stories about love. Taken from letters he wrote to his friends on Valentines Day, the stories, while dealing with love, also focus on themes of self-acceptance, self-identity and coming-of-age. The stories explore power, sexuality and focus on marginalised groups. Highly recommended for readers who enjoy LGBTQIA+ literature. Thanks to Text Publishing for an advanced copy of this book which is due for release in Australia on 4 February - just in ...more
Maddie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school-ya
A collection of love stories written by David Levithan. Born out of Levithan's tradition of writing a story for his friends every Valentines day. Some are written in verse, some are true stories and some are not. Because of this there is a story here for everyone.

I didn't love every single story, but I enjoyed them as a group of stories. Though I absolutely loved The Vulnerable Hours (Track 14). I'd recommend this to anyone who's enjoyed Levithan's work in the past or is looking for a love
Danii Allen
Read as part of the PopSugar Reading Challenge 2020, to fill 11) An anthology.

3.5 stars.

I liked this, because I've always been a fan of Levithan's writing. I'm not a massive fan of short stories, and even less so of poetry, so a lot of this book wasn't massively for me. But that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I thoroughly enjoyed quite a few of the shorts, and I didn't dislike any of them, they're just not super my thing.
Sidra
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"And then there was the girl who'd written a piece about a bad breakup, and then burst into tears when I pointed out that the main character wasn't very sympathetic. (I learned a very valuable lesson then: Treat all breakup stories as autobiography, just in case.)"

I liked it. Took me longer to finish it than I first anticipated but I'm not disappointed. My favorite tracks were probably seven, ten and fourteen. Fourteen made me so sad. Good book. People should read it.
Becca
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book to read during the month of February because it’s the month of love so why not?! This is a short story book. Every chapter is a new story no two connect. I think overall it was a good fun read. Some of the chapters were unnecessarily long and had a lot of filler in them. Other stories I just didn’t love. But that is bound to happen. I think it was a cute book for Valentine’s Day and am glad I picked it up.
Karissa
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2020
When I heard that David Levithan wrote stories for his friends for Valentine's Day and collected some of them in this book, I was pumped to find it at the library in time for the holiday. Despite having read (and really enjoyed!) his YA novel Every Day, I somehow didn't realize this book would be more YA focused. While I appreciated the different forms of love shown in the stories, it just wasn't the book I was looking to read at this time.
Anne
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories range from 2-4 stars, so I just picked the number in the middle. I actually preferred the autobiographical stories the most. After reading the sweet love story of Levithan's parents, I can see why his love stories are the way they are - a little saccharine and a little unbelievable - but he was shown that that kind of love is possible from an early age, so I guess I can't blame him!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Eighth Girl
  • Eros the Bittersweet
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • What Stars Are Made of
  • See Through Me
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • Jackpot
  • You Must Be Layla
  • The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly
  • The Between
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.