Jump to ratings and reviews

Park Ranger #2

Stranger Ranger

New park ranger Daphne Baum is a reformed good girl. Breaking free from her overbearing family as soon as she turned eighteen, she’s been on her own ever since. The life of a park ranger, moving from park to park, suits her just fine. Though still a rule follower, she’s okay with a little sin in her life.

Every generation of Hill men has its black sheep. The general consensus among the family is that Odin Hill is the lucky bastard this go around. At seventeen, he blew out of town like an angry tornado only to return fifteen years later withdrawn and secretive. Living like a recluse in the hollows in the Smoky Mountains, he's happy to keep to himself and is content to let locals believe he’s the town weirdo. Odin prefers the company of his pet pig to the nosy citizens of Green Valley.

When Daphne discovers Odin might be committing nefarious deeds on park land, she vows to find out the truth behind the handsome, yet chaotic, loner. Will the stranger help the ranger discover the difference between being good and doing the right thing? Or will they find themselves on opposites sides of love?

291 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 5, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Daisy Prescott

47 books1,818 followers
Keep in touch with me!

Sign up for my mailing list here (copy and paste this link): http://smarturl.it/daisysignup

Or find me on Twitter (@daisy_prescott), Facebook /daisyprescottauthorpage, or Instagram /daisyprescott.

USA Today Bestselling author Daisy Prescott lives in a real life Stars Hollow in the Boston suburbs with her husband and an indeterminate number of imaginary housegoats. When not writing about people falling in love, she can be found traveling, gardening, baking, and reading a good book.

Her series include: Love with Altitude, Modern Love Stories, Wingmen and Bewitched.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
129 (5%)
1 star
23 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 274 reviews
Profile Image for Penny Reid.
Author 107 books20.3k followers
Want to read
May 27, 2020

PEOPLE! The final book in the Spring 2020 Smartypants Romance launch is ALIVE and in Kindle Unlimited. Grab Daisy Prescott's Stranger Ranger for FREE in KU!

** LINKS **

** BLURB **

Every generation of Hill men has its black sheep. The general consensus among the family is that Odin Hill is the lucky bastard this go around. At seventeen, he blew out of town like an angry tornado only to return fifteen years later withdrawn and secretive. Living like a recluse in the hollows in the Smoky Mountains, he’s happy to keep to himself and is content to let locals believe he’s the town weirdo. Odin prefers the company of his pet pig to the nosy citizens of Green Valley.

‘Stranger Ranger’ is a full-length contemporary romance, can be read as a standalone, and is book #2 in the Park Ranger series, Green Valley World, Penny Reid Book Universe.
Profile Image for DJ Sakata.
3,006 reviews1,736 followers
June 9, 2020
Favorite Quotes:

The only vegetable I’ve ever seen you eat is a potato, preferably fried or formed into a tot.

“Is that apple cake? There are free samples. Bet they’d be nice enough to let us have more than one.” Her steps falter as she swivels her head, pausing and sniffing the air like a velociraptor.

Because our last name is Hill, some people like to joke that we put the hill in hillbilly. Some people think they have a sense of humor when they’re just being mean-spirited. As my Nannie Ida always says, glasshouses provide good views, but then again, so do mirrors.

This woman makes no sense. One minute she’s accusing me of being a criminal, and the next she’s petting my bicep like a baby animal.

“I love your accent.” She sighs, her eyes all dreamy like I’m her favorite boy band member.

I should know better. Both assumption and bias have “ass” in them.

My Review:

When you need to add a smile to your day you can always count on a Smartypants Romance to provide not just one but several. This amusing slow burn romance was hours of fun. Stranger Ranger features a female forest ranger who becomes rather obsessed and intrigued with Odin, a former small-town hillbilly turned world-class chef who has traveled the world before returning to his hometown for a simpler life of farming and foraging. Odin enjoys walking his beloved pet pig, Patsy Swine, down Mainstreet. And if that doesn’t make you smile then you should consider consulting with your doctor regarding the possible need for pharmaceutical assistance.
Profile Image for Korrie’s Korner.
1,002 reviews13.7k followers
May 19, 2020
Daisy inspires 5 stars again!!

I think this quote will go down into my vault of faves. Daisy just has a way of making me crave...food..and other things. *ahem*

“Wouldn’t sex be the main course?” “I prefer to think of the meal as a whole event.” Kissing is the amuse bouche to entice our palate.”

“And what’s dessert?” The sweetness that follows everything else, made more enjoyable by the delicious satisfaction of the previous dishes.”

When I read that the hero in this story’s name was Odin, I was like sign me up! Throw in that he’s a veggie farmer makes me love him even more! This was a slow burn, and a romantic comedy with strong characters that I just loved. Daphne was adorably quirky, and a beautiful damaged soul. I love how sensitive Odin was to her, and the beautiful contrast they were to each other. I love the way Daisy writes Green Valley. She truly has a gift!

I must admit, I was unsure about this story because of my intense feels for Jay & Olive from Book one, but this is what an amazing author does. They make you fall just as hard in a totally different way for each of the characters they create.

**Side note—Odin Hill is from The Hill family that comes up in Grin and Beard It from The Winston Brothers by Penny Reid of course.**

I’m totally scrambling for words to write this review. It’s still gelling, but just know this:

It’s dang good.

Daisy writes Green Valley superbly.

Odin Hill is my new book boyfriend.

“We’re ALL worthy of love.”

Thanks for the reminder, Daisy.
Profile Image for Caitlin Reads.
178 reviews51 followers
May 18, 2020
This book was seriously good! I fell hard for Odin Hill and Daisy’s writing was superb as always. Daphne, the new ranger at the park, runs into Odin Hill at the farmers market and it’s instant attraction. Daphne keeps hearing rumors that Odin is trouble and to stay away but can’t help but feel a natural pull with him. Odin was a recluse ex-chef living in the holler who keeps to himself and is weary of people but can’t help but be drawn to the quirky new ranger. I loved that Odin was so completely himself and never cared about societies interpretation or changed for anyone. Similar to Happy Trail, Stranger Ranger pulled me in from the first page and transports you to life in the mountains. It was a slow burn romance that gave me all the feels. Odin and Daphne slowly learned to trust one another and open themselves up to love accepting that they are worthy. The Ranger series might be my personal favorite of the Smartypants novels and I can’t wait to read the next installment.
Profile Image for Z - literaryeffect.
258 reviews152 followers
June 13, 2020
Rating: 3.5/5

I enjoyed this book. The couple is really cute, I loved their banter and their chemistry. I just found it a bit lacking. I feel like there was more that could’ve been explored/revealed about the Daphne and Odin’s past so we could get to know them more, but there were just bits that were said and not really explained further. I feel like some parts were also quite rushed.
Profile Image for Kat.
Author 8 books305 followers
August 27, 2020
I completely loved this book! Daisy Prescott’s park rangers are a delightful addition to the Green Valley canon. In this one, Daphne is a part time ranger hoping to advance to full time. (There is a wonderful scene in this one with a bear!) She meets Odin at a farmer’s market and sparks fly. Odin is hilarious. He’s a famous chef who’s exiled himself back in the Tennessee woods, and I loved the combination of pet pig loving forager, foodie, Appalachian guy, and all-around good soul. He and Daphne were an adorable pair. Although I confess, I sort of fell in love with the animal scenes. Is that terrible of me? This book was just too cute! I really hope we’re going to get books for all the other rangers!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Profile Image for Antonella.
3,083 reviews417 followers
September 8, 2020
just okay
and little disappointing
I really wanted to love this one more but the romance part was a bit lacking and needed some edges that were a bit iffy and space is in some parts off so it gets boring in the middle
Profile Image for Smartypants Romance.
53 reviews917 followers
Want to read
May 27, 2020

You can now read Daisy Prescott‘s Park Ranger series in #KindleUnlimited! Both HAPPY TRAIL and new release, STRANGER RANGER are available for your KU pleasure.

** LINKS **

Nook: http://bit.ly/2NNN5kC
Kobo: http://bit.ly/38rmi5w
Google Play: http://bit.ly/370S60C
Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/30Po5yN

✦*✦*✦If you're a KU reader, 'Stranger Ranger' will enter the Kindle Unlimited program on May 25th!✦*✦*✦

---------
Read book 1, Happy Trail in #Kindleunlimited
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,860 reviews434 followers
June 6, 2020
I had the pleasure of reading both this book and Happy Trail back to back (but backwards lol) and I can tell you they are true standalones. I don’t know why I had to make an announcement out of that, but there it is.

I enjoyed Stranger Ranger in particular because of the slow burn between Odin and Daphne; it fit their characters and their journey perfectly and that makes me happy. Author choices can make or break a story for readers and as much as I love to read any romance fiction (okay, not the paranormal), I like them best when the choices the author makes make sense. Sometimes you have to suspend your *reality* with fiction, but I didn’t have to do that with this book. They both have such unique and captivating pasts as well and when you put all of it together it’s a story that captivates you to reading in one sitting and stays with you!

Stranger Ranger, an all-new standalone contemporary romance from USA Today bestselling author Daisy Prescott, is LIVE! Download your copy TODAY!
Amazon AU: https://amzn.to/2G9DccG
Profile Image for Wendy ⏃: ✦Nerdy Book Reviewer✦.
882 reviews276 followers
June 6, 2020
5 STARS!

e7e36a7d514f77db835237dc58790d3c

Stranger Ranger by Daisy Prescott is book 2 in the Park Ranger series, Green Valley World, Penny Reid Book Universe and follows Odin Hill of the Hill family whom is mentioned in book 2 of the Winston Brothers series, Grin and Beard It.

Viking-sized, brooding, recluse hero, Odin Hill lives up in the hills of the Rockies in Green Valley, Tennessee, where his family has lived for many generations. Odin has a pig named Patsy and a hound named Roman. He's passionate about food and even studied in France. In his younger years, he was a professional chef but in those days he let himself loose and that only brought trouble. Presently, he keeps to himself. He's a bit of a loner and is intrigued by Daphne. The townspeople all seem to have something to say about the Hills.

Daphne is new to Green Valley. Presently, she's just been promoted and is now a full-time park ranger. Daphne has cut all family ties and has moved around a lot to work for various National Park Services (NPS). She's a private person who doesn't talk about her past much at all. But she's also snarky and sassy, and I love that she has no filter and the way she describes Odin as this Norse demigod is a hoot #VegetableThor. When it comes to him, she loses her cool and can't stop staring at him. Daphne doesn't have much experience with men, hence the constant staring at Odin. She used to live in a strict church community, cut off from the outside world. Her life was pretty much a sheltered one and she didn't really start living until she went off to college.

I loved Odin and his banter with Daphne. These two could not be more different but at the same time alike in so many ways. Throughout the story we get a better look at Odin and his family background. We learn about his upbringing and get to meet his beloved nannie Ida. We discover the mystery of why he's always in the unmarked trails with his pig, Patsy. We also unravel Daphne's character and learn more about the past she escaped from.

Stranger Ranger was such a fun, charming, and sweet read that I could not put down. You heard it from me: un-put-downable!! The first few pages alone had me laughing out loud! Daisy Prescott is a writing genius, her words will capture you and not let you go. This book was a top 2020 read for sure!

Disclaimer: Daisy did such a beautiful job with some sensitive topics mentioned in the story.

✨ Blog Post: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author through the Smartypants Romance PR Team. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*
Profile Image for Alla.
1,040 reviews47 followers
September 7, 2020
3.5 stars.
The second book in the Park Ranger series.
It was a nice one though I did like the first one a "tiny bit more" :)
Profile Image for Mia.
2,104 reviews464 followers
May 25, 2020
I really liked Happy Trail, but this one was disappointing.I enjoyed it but it felt rushed, anyways quick and fun read.
Profile Image for Shelby.
1,081 reviews661 followers
May 20, 2020
New park ranger Daphne has been on her own since she was a teen, trying to escape her eccentric family. And now she feels she’s found her home in Green Valley, doing what she loves. When she meets town pariah, Odin, walking his pet pig and possibly doing suspicious activities on park land, Daphne and him don’t quite get off to the best start.

Odin was a chef turned self-proclaimed loner. He prefers to be alone and follow his passions. He never planned on settling down—his dog and pig are plenty in terms of companionship—but when he meets Daphne, he starts to see things differently. And the two of them could be just what the other has been (unknowingly) looking for all along.

Stranger Ranger by Daisy Prescott is book 2 in the Park Rangers series. Happy Trail was one of my favorite romances of 2019, so I highly anticipated this new release. Stranger Ranger was no Happy Trail, but it was a cute, quick and fun read. I didn’t feel particularly connected to Daphne, although I sympathized with her background. Odin, on the other hand, was the right amount of grumpy and quirky. I wish there had been more chemistry between them; I think that would’ve bumped up my rating. 3/5 stars.

Thank you to Smartypants Romance and Daisy Prescott for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Leo.
4,176 reviews367 followers
April 19, 2021
3.7 stars. It was a cute and sweet romance but I kept wanting something more but in the end I quite liked it anywho. Enjoyable and entertaining but nothing to swoon and gush over.
Profile Image for Kelly (the book hussy).
1,478 reviews46 followers
May 23, 2020

I had to force myself to finish this one. It was pretty boring. Except for the parts where Daphne was hopped up on Benedryl and then drunk off moonshine. I wanted to know Daphne’s secretive background, so I forced myself to keep going. I wasn’t really invested in their relationship. I wish the author had provided more depth to Odin. It’s mentioned he was a famous Michelin Star chef. But then he just walked away to come back to live in a holler and be a farmer. His best friend, who was also chef died. But that’s all I really know.

I’d skip this one.
Profile Image for PP's Bookshelf.
1,987 reviews288 followers
June 2, 2020
Stranger Ranger by Daisy Prescott cast a spell on my heart and soul. The author's incredible writing is nothing less than a powerful magic. The emotions were breathtaking. I lost myself in the Appalachian mountains with Odin and Daphne and their very special love story .

Daphne is the new ranger of the park working in the interpretation centre. She is shy and generally avoids people mingling. And then her path collides with Odin Hill. Like his namesake, this bearded hunk of a man is outrageously gorgeous. Also with an aura of indifference. Daphne keeps on hearing about his reputation as black sheep and his life into the hills almost like a hermit where he does foraging and organic farming. But she is intrigued by him. Just like Odin cannot stop thinking about the quirky woman who has snagged his attention in many many years. Will these two oddballs find love in the mountains and trails? Will their secrets become a barrier?

I love the author's unique ability to suck me into the story completely from the beginning. The hero and heroine are not what you can typically expect. And I simply love that. They are so much relatable with their very real flaws and imperfections. At the same time, they are irresistible and unforgettable. I got invested in their story so deeply! I also admire how the author uses the mountains with the trails, the forest, the locals and the wild animals to give the story a different kind of personality. The small and fascinating details made me transport to the scene itself. Like a virtual trip. The nature isn't only the backdrop. It's very much part of the story.

The chemistry between Odin and Daphne was built very slowly and with precious care. They start as strangers not trusting about each other's motives. But then the circumstances kept on bringing them together and they become confidantes. They both love the peace and silence of the mountains. They both don't really care about society's expectations. Behind their withdrawn and calm life, they have a rebellious soul. Their fight is for individuality and for being free. They have this magnetic connection that I could feel in my heart. Like electrical sparks under my skin. They have a very different and powerful kind of love that's equally intense, swoonworthy and life changing.

I love how Daisy Prescott takes me to a whole new world in her stories! If romance is an escape, Stranger Ranger is the best kind. This story created the most beautiful emotional storm in my heart!

Received ARC for honest review

Blog post :

Profile Image for Melena.
2,424 reviews50 followers
May 19, 2020

Daisy Prescott has once again written an amazing story set it in the world of Green Valley Tennessee.

Odin and Daphne were endearing characters who I enjoyed reading about. I especially liked the chapters narrated from Daphne's perspective. She is awkward and funny with a love of nature and the National Parks.

There were moments I felt for both Odin and Daphne and their past experiences. They both have reasons for ending up where they are. Him as a farmer who is a bit of a hermit, and her as a Park Ranger who lives simply.

The Smoky Mountains National Park is a character of its own, and the descriptions of it are wonderful. Just like after reading Happy Trail, I feel compelled to get outside and enjoy nature.

Fans of Penny Reid will love the little kids throughout the story to her books and her Penny Tries video series. Daisy sprinkled a few of them in perfectly.

Thank you to the author for providing an ARC for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sharon L.
595 reviews88 followers
June 12, 2020
Here we go on another book in the Ranger series by Daisy Prescott, which is set in Green Valley and the Penny Reid universe.

This one was a little shorter than Happy Trail, and I say that somewhat grumbly. But, it still worked greatly.

Also, in contrast to said Happy Trail, this one was more of a Slow Burn Romance.

I really liked both characters, and their interactions were great. Sometime, their chemistry and the progression of their relationship felt a bit forced, but all in all it was great.

What I loved more however, was their individual backgrounds - the experiences and pasts that hunted them and yet shaped them to who they were. I also liked how they are opposite, at least on the surface, but the trust, mutual respect, understanding and compassion they had for each other made them exactly what the other person needed.

Lastly, I love the park. In Happy Trail we got to see some of it, and here we get to further explore. I am not a nature gal myself (I love it, but my ideal would be to observe it from a cafe balcony or someone's eyes), however, Daisy writes nature in a fantastic and fun way that just shows you its wonderful side. If you are familiar with her writing, then you already know that. If not, check her Wingman series.

The thing is, I always love to explore nature through Daisy's stories.

I received an ARC of this book from the author. This has not affected my opinion of the book, but perhaps the reason you can trust this, is because with an ARC or without it, I am not biased in Daisy's favour - she earned all my appreciation by the wonderful books she writes. It is a fact :)
Profile Image for Wendy'sThoughts.
2,632 reviews3,208 followers
December 9, 2021
4 It Takes Two Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free
If it is Daisy Prescott and she is writing in the Reid Family of publishing then it is a no-brainer as to how enjoyable this book and any other book will be. I have been reading Reid for years, all of them and have read Daisy Prescott in the past and loved her sensitive and quirky, heartwarming style.

This is a huge win-win for me.

Happy Trail (Park Ranger, #1) by Daisy Prescott Happy Trail (Park Ranger, #1)
Stranger Ranger (Park Ranger, #2) by Daisy Prescott Stranger Ranger (Park Ranger, #2)

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways

photo banner_zpsb3ab83a0.jpg
May 16, 2020
Emerald book reviews

Stranger Ranger by Daisy Prescott

#Review

#SmartypantsRomance

‘“Wouldn’t sex be the main course?”

“I prefer to think of the meal as a whole event. Kissing is the amuse bouche to entice our palate.” He proves his point with a nip to my bottom lip.

“And what’s dessert?”

“The sweetness that follows everything else, made more enjoyable by the delicious satisfaction of the previous dishes.”’

Stranger Ranger is a truly beautiful, slow-burning, oddball-celebrating, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy, written with tremendous heart, punctuated with impressive comical timing from both hero and heroine.

I don’t know what it is about quirky, off-beat protagonists but they never fail to keep me entertained, bewitched and captivated. Maybe it’s a vanity thing and I see a lot of myself in them? Whatever it is, Stranger Ranger has an abundance of that character charm and plot appeal. There isn’t some overblown storyline, hyped up and exaggerated so we lose all sense of realism, it’s character driven, full of emotion, good intentions and some wonderful descriptive language, that is able to transport the reader seamlessly in amongst the romance and mishaps, the trees and the wildlife, showcasing The great Smoky mountains, the people that call the area home.

Odin Hill is a complicated and very romantic hero. He’s more than one thing. He’s a little strange, he’s sensitive but tough, brooding yet sweet, he’s lonely and a little sad and defensive but the conglomeration of all those things makes him into one mesmerising and seductive hero. Add in the protective and nurturing elements within him and you possibly have the most perfect Thor-like man on your hands. His pet pig just adds another key ingredient to love about him. Odin is super sexy and unique without really trying. He’s just himself and that is the most attractive thing of all about him.

I loved Daphne. I thought she was incredible. I would have liked to know so much more about her upbringing, that kind of thing fascinates me on a whole other level but I really admired her strength, her convictions, her innate kindness and loyalty. She was equally as mesmerising as Odin, with a cute naivety and sweetness underneath her badass park Ranger exterior. A stickler for rules and structure she also is wonderfully funny and a little bit lost herself. Together, she and Odin make a seriously beautiful couple.

Stranger Ranger is very romantic, incredibly funny and packed with some terrific Green Valley quirk. If you’re looking for a lovely slow-burn love story, with plenty of laughs and heat and heart, then you’ll definitely want to add this book to your list.
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,002 reviews102 followers
June 4, 2020
Check out an Excerpt HERE

***4 Stars***

This was a fun slow burn read with a cast of quirky, yet loveable characters set in a setting that I may never willingly visit in real life (I don’t really do the whole hiking nature thing ~ give me a beach any day) but love hanging out in when it comes to the Green Valley world.

Daphne and Odin were a lot of fun. Daphne is a rule follower and just a tad bit awkward, but she comes by it honestly. She’s sweet, quirky and encompasses it all. Odin is a self professed weirdo, and the blacksheep of his family, but he is a good man who feels deeply about more than just his weirdness.

Their journey was slow burn awkward fun ~ on both sides of the coin. I loved watching as they both stumbled a bit through getting to know and trust each other and come to find out that while they were opposites in some ways, they actually had a lot more in common than they thought. What I liked the most about them together was that, while they did keep some things close to the vest, they were quite honest with each other when it came to their relationship. The roadblock in their journey was an interesting one, one I do kind of wish more time was spent on, but I can’t say that I was disappointed with how it all turned out for them in the end.

This was a fun read that was low on the drama and angst, but high on smiles and quirkiness. I loved catching up with the rest of the rangers and am crossing my toes that my guess as to who the next book will be about is correct. As for the newbies, I loved Kacey and Lena and Nannie Ida was amazing! So, if you’re looking for a fun, quirky, light read, then this is a must read for you.

~ Copy provided by SBPR & voluntarily reviewed ~
Profile Image for Lauren Lascola-Lesczynski.
967 reviews31 followers
May 11, 2020
Eeepp...Odin Hill just stole my heart!
Daphne and Odin are so stinking cute I could puke...but in a totes good way.
Daphne is not your typical gal...she loves nature, hiking, and anything outdoors.
Odin is a bit of a mystery at first, but when you realize who he really is deep down inside you will fall in love with him!
Daisy has a way of making nature sexy....lol
I have never wanted to hike before, but lawddddd with these sexy nature books I sure do!
I love love love Daphne and Odin's sweet & funny banter...they are def right for each other despite being very different. This series is great and I loved getting back on the trail with these two new love birds.
Also Odin sure does know how to make a Mushroom sexy...
#PatsySwine #VegetableThor #NefariousDeeds #Mushrooms
Profile Image for Kelly.
4,788 reviews167 followers
May 31, 2020
All right. I liked Odin. A lot. For the generational black sheep of the family, he's got a lot going for him. I just liked him. I like that he (mostly) followed the rules and was sort of meticulous about researching to make sure he did. I like that he took his love of cooking and food and used that to reinvent himself.

And I REALLY liked him with Daphne. He was just so...open with her. Sure, sure, he had a few secrets he was holding close to the vest, but so did she. And pulling her secrets out of her was a lot more difficult in the end.

That said, Daphne has her reasons for keeping to herself and not spilling her proverbial guts to every person she comes across. Lessons learned in childhood can be hard to shake and, even though she's an adult now and in a drastically different situation than before, her fears still linger. Although...I don't know if it was so much fear as habit. She's used to being on her own. She's used to not developing attachments or close friendships because she usually doesn't stick around any one place for too long.

In the end, both Odin and Daphne had to figure out how to trust the other enough to share their secrets. They were both set in their ways (to different extents) and letting go enough to believe the other would have their back and understand where they were coming from was a fun, fun ride.

Also, the Hills are kinda awesome in that big, sprawling family way I've come to like about Green Valley.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
May 14, 2020
It's cute when Odin is all flustered, “sorry about that. I’m not used to introducing people to my parents. I mean, women.” He rambles and then stops as he blows out a frustrated breath. “You know what I mean. I wanted you to meet them, and I’m glad you did.” I liked this book, I loved Odin.
Profile Image for Nicky.
263 reviews17 followers
June 13, 2022
The bearded cabin-dwelling guy wasn't even that sexy. Also, there is almost no plot and the writing is not good.
Profile Image for Samantha Glass.
815 reviews6 followers
May 20, 2020
Yay for more of Daisy’s park rangers! Daphne and Odin have such interesting backstories and the dance they do in getting to know one another is awesome to watch. So full of snark, questions, and deflection. I love that with each book I’m also exposed to new topics to explore—here more Appalachia history and food culture. You’ll want to spend time with this book!
Profile Image for Cassandra Martin.
621 reviews37 followers
May 17, 2020
Daisy Prescott has the ability to write such amazing small town romances. I fell in love with Jay and Olive in Happy Trail, and I've been looking forward to Stranger Ranger ever since.

This story was not only sweet, but had that slow burn romance I absolutely love. Odin is a grumpy 'Vegetable Thor'. Which makes him even more endearing. I love how Daphne was such a rule follower, and such a strong proponent on furthering women in a male dominated role. Daphne and Odin have such wonderful snark between the two of them, and you can easily see that this is their awkward way of flirting. This story had me laughing and smiling throughout. There was so much heart in these characters.

This series is a love story to national parks, even the unfortunate history of some of them. Though I finished this book yesterday, I have already been searching photos and trail maps of national parks, and even some nearby state parks to quench the wanderlust of nature that this book has left with me.

'"Life's too short to be boring or eat boring food," he declares, still focused solely on men.'

"Because I know your true character and I love you. Love means accepting imperfections in ourselves and others. We're all worthy of love."
Profile Image for RateTheRomance.
721 reviews122 followers
May 26, 2020
People say "Timing is EVERYTHING". This book was an odd mix of going too slowly and then too quickly.

The story starts off well, with a funny and fun first chapter. There is the Meet Cute and some banter between the lead characters. But immediately after that it begins to move at a snail's pace. We get chapters and chapters of back story and internal character monologue that does nothing to move the story forward. The lead characters have almost no interaction again until the halfway point of the book. I almost gave up.

Then, suddenly, the leads come together and it feels like we may actually get some forward momentum in their romance. They spend all of 2 or 3 half-days together and suddenly...BAM!...they are in love. It is very sudden and is seemingly built on almost nothing. Sure, they have 1-2 meaningful conversations in the course if a week, but it's still not enough to make LOVE plausible.

There were also a number of plot holes and inconsistencies in the book pertaining to the female lead. For exsmple, we kearn earky in that she is raised in a highly conservative religious sect where women cannot wear pants, are discouraged from getting an education, and are groomed for marriage. Yet, our heroin has no clue how to cook, relying instead on frozen pizza and boxed soup. This makes no sense. The ONLY thing women are trained to do in those sorts of sects is household/wifely duties like cooking, cleaning, and child rearing. That's just one example and there were MANY in this book.

Overall there is nothing terrible about this book, it just had some plot issues, didn't engage me, and the timing seemed very much off. Other readers might really like the social awkwardness the hero and heroine displayed and might like the slow burn, but this one fell very flat for me personally.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 274 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.