Start by marking “Metes and Bounds” as Want to Read:
Metes and Bounds

Metes and Bounds

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In this unusual coming-of-age novel, author Jay Quinn surveys the expanding emotional and sexual boundaries of Matt, an eighteen-year-old surfer in coastal North Carolina's Outer Banks. The novel follows Matt as he leaves home after his high school graduation to work for his uncle, a land surveyor. Matt's story of claiming his place as a surfer and as a gay man in the smal ...more
Published October 15th 2001 by Southern Tier Editions (first published October 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Metes and Bounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metes and Bounds

Aves Raggiana
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming and charming are two words that are used so often that they become meaningless. And yet these words are exactly what describe “Metes and Bounds”. This sweet and gentle coming-of-age story is one of the best of its type. The story is told through the first person, through the eyes of Southern boy, Matt, come away from his parents and now living with his Uncle Tiger and his partner, Mark. I must add here that Mark and Tiger are one hot uber-Top, and lissome, winsome Bottom couple that ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another lovely story by Jay Quinn.

I discovered Jay Quinn's novels just this year and I am slowly making my way through them. His books are a delight to read. The language is gentle and poetic and flows across the page with subtle emotion. His stories explore different dimensions of family life involving gay men:

A gay man whose long term relationship breaks down after bringing up his partner's children (Back Where he Started).

A gay man who comes to terms with his sexuality, his mental health con
Ptdog
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfection. Good story. Well written. Depth of characters kept me intrigued. 80's backdrop and surfing culture was artfully created. I loved all the characters. I highly recommend this book and author!
John Eby
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1) gay youth 2) LGBT reaeders
Finished reading.... fourth time. An exceptional book.
Benjamin
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction
Good looking Matt is seventeen years old, while not yet out he knows he is gay but it something of a surprise when his father intimates that he understands, and arranges for Matt to go and live with his young uncle Tiger on the North Carolina coast. Tiger is beautiful, slight of build, fair haired and with yellow eyes, yet an outcast to the rest of Matt’s family.
The story takes us through Matt’s first year with Tiger, along with Matt’s recollections of past events in his life. He describes the g
JOSEPH OLIVER
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, novel
I started off not particularly liking this book and felt I may have to give up after 20 or so pages. I couldn't really connect with the characters and felt them a bit too far removed from my own experience to make the plot believable. I thought that it would be a bit too sugar coated. It turned out not be so and I am glad I finished it. It isn't all straight forward. Others have examined the plot in more detail here but for a non surfing reader there may be some problems because the author assum ...more
Suzanne
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Metes and Bounds, by Jay Quinn, is a "coming of age" novel about a young man named Matt. Matt is learning a new trade, learning to surf and above all, learning about himself and his sexuality. Quinn takes us through the steps of Matt's development, of growth, love and heartache. I enjoyed this book for several reasons. First, I liked Quinn's writing style, character development and the overall story. Second, I liked the main character, Matt. He is curious, teachable, determined, loving and lovea ...more
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t1
I enjoyed this coming-of-age story mostly told in flash-back memories of the MC, Matt, and some through stories from his family. The sense of place, vernacular and characterizations are all well done and bring the reader well into the story. A lot of interesting people populate Matt’s life and the way secrets were revealed certainly held my attention.

There were a few fairly detailed scenes of sexual violence that, coupled with Matt’s reaction to them, were difficult for me to read. I understand
Amy
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, glbtq
I read 50 pages. It was okay, but nothing remarkable enough to keep me reading. It is set in the south, and the language and accents are clearly heard in the text. Sad to say, it is tripping me up quite a bit.

Wish I had the time and the drive to read more of this. Looks like it could be promising!
ian
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this novel - so well written with fascinating characters. The surfing background is handled with expertise. Other reviewers have said it all already.
This novel deserves to be more widely read - the back story is much more convincing than many of this coming of age genre.
Collin
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt
Perfect beach reading. This is the first Jay Quinn book I read. I like Quinn's the characterization, and narrative. Jay's character's who are gay, are not defined by their orientation and do not always fit into a neat stereotype.
Kevin
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, pleasant read with a great ending.

I feel like I would like to meet these characters, they seem real, and like comfortable friends
Joy
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, m-m, scribd
More queer fiction / coming of age than romance, set in NC. Sense of place was well-done. I liked it but it kept jumping around in time.
SW
  • Skinned Alive
  • A Life Apart
  • In the Absence of Men
  • The Abomination
  • Fall Into the Sun (Alejo and Bobby, #1)
  • Aaron's Wait (Elliott Smith #2)
  • Someone Is Killing the Gay Boys of Verona

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here