Start by marking “The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself” as Want to Read:
The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself

The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A collection of ten inspirational and meditative essays offers insights into how to celebrate the flaws that make us unique, fascinating, and lovable individuals.
Published August 17th 1999 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

Akira Watts
Jan 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Every sentence in this book made me pause, wondering if I or the author had suffered a stroke. Each sentence is collection of words that convey no meaning.

For example:

"In order to listen, see. In order to hear, stare at things."

Were this a parody of a weirdly passive-aggressive, New Age help book, it would be a thing of genius. Intended, as it was, as a serious endeavor, it makes me pray for human extinction.
Tiffany
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: france
So, the funny thing is while I was reading the chapter entitled "The art of Making Mistakes" I missed my metro. When I finally boarded the train I continued reading avidly until I had gone thirty minutes in the wrong direction.

Making mistakes, missing appointments and being wrong is not romantic, it's annoying and irritating no matter how you slice it. And reading it on a Wednesday afternoon when I still had miles to go before I slept was an innapropriate use of this library book.

That said, The
Hollie
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ok, ok....so this isn't the great novel to end all novels.

BUT, I can say that it has as powerfully moved me as any other novel to date. How frequently I find myself discouraged and depressed that I'm not living up to my internal expectations for perfection. Maybe it is culturally-, religiously-, family-driven, probably a bit of each. But how often do women feel discouraged with themselves that they are perpetually not enough? Every day I wake up with this eternal conquest to meet my own expectat
Zuzana
May 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Zuzana by: Daniella
Overall, I liked the photography in this book better than the writing. The writing has its good moments, but the stuff that stood out could have fit into 10% or less. I did really like what the ladies had to say about interaction with babies, and the beauties of the nonglamorous life, and of intimacy. The rest was blah. But then again, at least it wasn't 500 pages worth of blah. :)
Marivic Hammond
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I always go back to this book when I need to feel grounded. It's easy to forget (let alone accept) that one couldn't be perfect all the time. This little book not only inspires and reminds me of everyday realities. It also allows and lets me forgive myself.
Tammy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I.need.to.own.this.book.
Lisa Rector
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book that gives you permission to make mistakes, be disorganized, bored, silly and just enjoy being yourself. What a relief, because I've been living that way for a long time.
Satia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Best thing about this book? The photographs.

For more, please visit my blog.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful photographs enliven gentle, rambling essays. Sparkling ideas and just right phrases tipped me with surprise just when I thought, "This is a comfy read."

'Make peace with yourself once and for all: Love is not a meritocracy."

"Forgive yourself. Soon, you will discover that self-acceptance and tolerance do not have to be hard work."

"Imagine a different world, one in which people do not spend an inordinate amount of energy fuming against their fate each time they make a mistake. A world in
Chantal
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
thought provoking, reccomended. lovely to lose oneself in for hours, although quite short.
Carol Jen
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nice quick read about why imperfection can actually be a lovely way to live...I really enjoyed the photographs.
Lisa
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feel-good
This and the other two books I read by this author are just so simple and fun! Very elgant, and well put!
Libraryassistant
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty much ditto how I felt about 'The Art of Doing Nothing'.
Cheryl
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice little inspirational book, full of reminders about enbracing the life you have and making the most of it.
Catherine
May 07, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Melissa Hedges- Rankin
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another quick read, which I quite enjoyed - especially relevant I feel if you are 50+.
Linda Thibodeau
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Funny, quirky stories to lighten up the thoughts/feelings of anyone who struggles with perfectionism. Pokes fun of humans, made me laugh, can read in a 1/2 hour.
Margaret
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I adore Veronique Vienne's books; each one an invitation to live a richer, deeper, more forgiving life.
Patti
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok

It's like the opposite of Marie Kondo but just as odd. Maybe dated? Published in 1999.
C.T.
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2008
Lynda
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
The illustrations were the best part of this book, but the essays were interesting.
Margaux
  • The Paris Review Book for Planes, Trains, Elevators, and Waiting Rooms
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • Choosing ME Before WE
  • Let the Wind Speak
  • Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (in the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Cleaning Plain  Simple: A ready reference guide with hundreds of sparkling solutions to your everyday cleaning challenges

Nonfiction Deals

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99