Start by marking “The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential” as Want to Read:

The only definitive book authored by Wim Hof on his powerful method for realizing our physical and spiritual potential

Wim Hof has a message for each of us: “You can literally do the impossible. You can overcome disease, improve your mental health and physical performance, and even control your physiology so you can thrive in freezing temperatures.” With The Wim Hof Method,
Published October 6th 2020 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Wim Hof Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wim Hof Method

Start your review of The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential
Weronika Zimna
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
*I received an advanced reader's copy through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wim Hof and his method are great; I do not doubt it - I even practice it myself at times. The beginning of the book made me feel excited. But after some chapters, my excitement has dimmed greatly. I must admit that, at least for now, YouTube and Wim's app and website seem like much better sources to learn about it all.

I truly believe this can become a great book, helping to popularize Wim's method, but it r
Eóin Robert
Oct 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
I can’t finish this book. It has made me too annoyed. It keeps promising data and science and yet I have heard none. I believe in this method and that it can be useful; that’s not the problem. The book itself just doesn’t explain anything really, it just repeats the same promises over and over with loads of random case studies and just alludes to ‘data’ and ‘science’ and ‘trials’ without actually going into any detail or explanations. Very frustrating.
Mike Prescott
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this gave me anxiety.
There are huge claims and they are not sufficiently substantiated for advise on healthcare.
Unfortunately, it reads poorly too.
That said, the book is about the method and from an author who put their ego aside and invested their life on a w(h)im!
On reflection, "the mission" Wim is on, is to bring spirituality (and it's associated wellbeing) into a form that everyday people can access easily and benefit from.
In my mind he 100% delivers on that with the method he's de
Radim Sandr
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been doing the Wim Hof method for a few years now, but I never fully realized the full potential of it and to how many scientific discoveries it led. It’s absolutely mind blowing just what we can achieve by activating or minds, connecting to our breath and combining those two things for the greater good of ourselves, those around us and the entire Multiverse. This book is a must read for everyone suffering from depression, anxiety, or any mental and even physical illness or autoimmune dis ...more
David
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
The philosophy here is positively loopy, but I am committed to the breathing and cold exposure method for 6 weeks. If I benefit from the technique, then I'm not sure the justification is important to me. ...more
Mike Cheng
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
For anyone unfamiliar with Wim Hoff (aka the Iceman), this book will seem like a snake oil pitch. I'm confident, however, that anyone who is familiar with Wim (we're on a first name basis) will enjoy reading about his life and methodology straight from the horse's mouth. In terms of the latter, there's nothing much to add that hasn't already been covered in the VICE documentary, the books The Way of the Iceman and What Doesn't Kill Us, and his appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast (712 was far bett ...more
Kym
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently participated in a Wim Hof Fundamentals Workshop and was amazed and surprised at the experience I had during the breathing method. The science behind the breathing and the cold water exposure is fascinating. A method that brings peace and resilience to people is certainly worth trying. This book outlines in great detail the philosophy, the science and the process. I highly recommend investigating this method for yourself.
Ian MacPhail
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start living

80% very interesting 20% speed reading. I have begun cold showers and breathing and will give this my best effort. Getting busy living ...
Paul
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book. Simple.
Marian Leica
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fairly practical book on the way we perceive the cold, I find Wim Hof's methods appealing and deserves a try out.
I would have resonated more with a honest and simple writing style, without giving a too higher meaning to it.
Zora
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
I heard a podcast with Wim Hof and was fascinated by his breathing, cold shower and ice bath methods, so decided to listen on audible.

Early in the book he talked of living as a squatter for 8 years and this kind of put me off. He then ventured into "chakras" and "third eye" stuff and I found it hard to keep going. But I pressed on. Further statements like "all you need is love" and "Love will open you up to the power of your mind" proved too esoteric for my logical and pragmatic disposition, bu
Scott Wozniak
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really mind stretching book. Wim Hof has pushed the boundaries of what is possible with the human body--and for decades been teaching others how to do it. It's mostly about breathing more deeply than normal and building up exposure to cold. Those two things are producing some truly remarkable health and fitness for those who go through his program. If that was all this book had I would give it five stars.

But he also can't resist preaching his theology--which is a mash up of Hindu, Budd
Bjorn Martensson
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think of this book as having three aspects to it:
1. Wim telling about the extraordinary feats that he has done, and to a lesser extent what his disciples have done. This is quite inspiring.
2. An autobiographical aspect where we get to know Wim a little. Wim's world view seems to boil down to love, peace and an internal soul. A bit hippiesque, but generally harmless. The world would probably be a friendlier place if more people thought like Wim.
3. Wim trying to explain biologically how he he ac
Jessica
Dec 10, 2020 rated it liked it
For the first half of the book, I felt like it was five stars. Well written, great information. The technique works for me. I have always hated the cold, and the cold showers make me feel empowered. It also resonates with the psychological notion of allowing *all* feelings, "good" and "bad," and learning from them while safely observing them.
The problem is... the entire second half of the book is unnecessary repetition. It felt like being nagged by a very kind father figure. It's a book. You do
Brian Sachetta
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve known of Wim Hof for a while, but until now, I’d never read any of his content. That’s why I figured it was finally time to pick up one of his books. Though I can’t speak to his previous ones, I definitely enjoyed this one.

It’s all about reclaiming control of our minds and bodies by intentionally subjecting ourselves to hormetic stress (mild forms of it that boost performance and quality of life). Hof’s preferred form of that stress is going out into the cold — hence the name, “The Ice Man.
Leonard
Austris Cirulnieks
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was quite interesting to learn about Wim's life and the things he has been through. Quite inspiring to experience his lite attitude towards seemingly harsh and unfortunate life turns.
Although this lite approach sometimes seemed to border with with odd and excentric storytelling and just plainly weird conclusions.
Nonetheless, Wim is an incredible individual and despite his unique (sometimes offsetting) storytelling manner the book delivers set of powerful methods and practical ways to implemen
Lee
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: se
Incredible way to start the year! I read Scott Carney’s What Doesn’t Kill Us after listening to the Art of Manliness interview and as a result have for the last three plus years ended my warm showers with 15-30 seconds of cold (and water in Utah is cold, especially in the winter!). I dabbled in the breathing and saw incredible results but didn’t keep it up. I’m committed now to 2 min of cold showers and daily breathing exercises along with some sort of physical exercise regimen.
Lindzi
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thor-like presence indeed. Easy to follow steps for deeper meaning and fuller and more free living. I have grown to love cold showers, I have added some winter bathing and now I have started the breathing. It feels as good as it does good. Download the app for easy to follow instructions. Guru involuntary but still someone to look up to.
Keith Foskett
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wim's method (at least the cold exposure) isn't for everyone but the science is clear - it's work. Can cure or alleviate symptoms of many inflammatory diseases, as well as numerous other physical and psychological benefits.
My only criticism is much of what he says is repeated, albeit with different words.
I'm convinced and will be trying it.
Zhivko Kabaivanov
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Wim Hof Method (2020) posits that we can overcome almost anything, from illness and depression to extreme climate conditions, by employing Wim Hof’s methods. Based on three pillars – cold, breathing, and mindset – The Wim Hof Method seeks to help you activate your full potential.

Eve Dangerfield
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting. A bit long for my taste though
Melanie Sears
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an inspiring and hopeful book. I've started to take cold showers and I do the breathing exercises but it's too soon to tell if there is any change. ...more
Stephen
Oct 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
When a chapter is named 'Breathe Motherf*cker' , I knew then that I'd bought the wrong book. In my opinion it was over priced , over hyped and most of it a load of tosh. Unless of course you were living in a commune full of hippy drop outs and willing to take in the ramblings of a 60 year old Dutch oddball.
I wasted my money.
Martin Lääts
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Slightly disappointed with the book. Especially when you already have knowledge of the method and have been practicing it. It doesn’t provide much new to which is availabe online and misses the chance to give the reader a deeper understanding of the method and the science behind it. In a nutshell, it is like a written version of a long podcast with Wim.
Jeremy
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already well into the WHM, it was refreshing to read this book and see deeper into some of the science and reasons behind the madness that is Wim.

Book was a bit sporadic, but again, that's just his way and you just have to go with it. I found the narration in the audible version very peaceful as well, and was able to capture Wim's style but also keep it clear and concise. I found myself listening to the book at times when I wanted to calm down which was a neat side-effect.
Edwin Setiadi
The personal story to complete the puzzle piece

“The cold is merciless, but righteous." By now anyone who’s reading this must have recognised Wim Hof, have watched his shenanigans and his brilliance, or sometimes both in a space of less than 1 minute.

While "What Doesn't Kill Us" by Scott Carney did a tremendous job on analyzing the science behind the Wim Hof Method, this autobiography completes the puzzle piece by adding the personal touch that gives the why behind the what and the how.

And Wim
Sara Catherine
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

After watching the @goop lab show on Netflix, the episode that has most stuck with me was the one featuring Wim Hof. His breathing exercises partnered with cold exposure and mindfulness have positive effects on the body—proven through anecdotes as well as scientific experimentation. This book goes further into the Wim Hof Method, provides guidelines on how to apply his methods in your own life, and mentions the sci
Peter Augustinak
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see three aspects this book is trying to achieve:
1. explain and teach Wim Hof ​​Method by description of particular exercises
2. proof the impact and effect of the method on the human body based on various scientific researches and data, that were gathered within last years
3. to bring something from Wim's background and his life

As I'm a big fan of WHM for some time already, the point # 1 didn't give me so much new and it will be same for everybody who have had experience with it before read
Kitten Kisser
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many years ago I heard of the Ice Man. Mainly from my Dad. He mentioned extreme conditions boosting health. I listened. Figured he was right & continued doing all I could to be comfortable but active. Then about a year ago or so I listened to the book 'What Doesn't Kill Us' on Audible. That kept Wim Hof in my head. But still, I didn't partake in any of it. Cold shower? Yeah, I'll pass. Thank you very much. I'll stay comfy while the men strut around beating their chests & taking ice baths.

Then th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • The Wedge: Evolution, Consciousness, Stress and the Key to Human Resilience
  • A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life
  • The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Jack
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Great Mental Models, Volume 2: Physics, Chemistry and Biology
  • Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
  • What Doesn't Kill Us: How Freezing Water, Extreme Altitude, and Environmental Conditioning Will Renew Our Lost Evolutionary Strength
  • Pirate Latitudes
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • It's All in Your Mouth: Biological Dentistry and the Surprising Impact of Oral Health on Whole Body Wellness
  • The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have
  • The Endless Practice: Becoming Who You Were Born to Be

News & Interviews

“I was beginning to segregate from the normal culture. I suffered from efforts to suppress my nature, as many people do. Once I accepted that I was different, and made my peace with it, I began to segregate even further, specifically with respect to my consciousness and the way I perceived the world around me.” 1 likes
“There is so much more to life than meets the eye if you choose to seek it. The seeker becomes the finder, the finder of so much more than we thought was possible.” 0 likes