Start by marking “Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)

Dust

(Heirs of Neverland #1)

The truth about Neverland is far more dangerous than a fairy tale.

Claire Kenton believes the world is too dark for magic to be real—since her twin brother was stolen away as a child. Now Claire's desperate search points to London... and a boy who shouldn't exist.

Peter Pan is having a beastly time getting back to Neverland. Grounded in London and hunted by his own Lost Boys
Published July 21st 2020 by Enclave Escape (first published July 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dust, please sign up.
Kelly H (Readallaboutit) Very clean! I would feel comfortable giving this to 12 year old's at my church. No swearing, no gory violence, and the romance is sweet and clean! The…moreVery clean! I would feel comfortable giving this to 12 year old's at my church. No swearing, no gory violence, and the romance is sweet and clean! There are mentions of past s*lf-h*rm so be aware of that but nothing is descriptive or anything. (less)
Jadyn Ribeiro It's absolutely AMAZING!!! If you haven't read it yet, please read it!! The sequel, Shadow, is actually coming out in July I believe, and is going to …moreIt's absolutely AMAZING!!! If you haven't read it yet, please read it!! The sequel, Shadow, is actually coming out in July I believe, and is going to add another layer of the greatness :D (less)

Start your review of Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
Olivia Jarmusch
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No big deal you guys, its just my favorite book EVER. Review to come! <3
Rose (Adventurous Bookworm)
Reread: even better than before

~~~

rtc but oh my word, this was good

~~~

If you're like me, you spend what feels like hours searching on Google for retellings of some of your favorite stories. One of those books for me was Peter Pan. Imagine my joy when I found out that the author of one of my favorite novellas, The Girl Who Could See, was writing a retelling.
This book definitely lived up to my expectations. Dust brought the much-loved characters to life in a way that was totally unique but still r
Allison Tebo
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
**Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review, but all thoughts contained are my own.**

*hides* I really wanted to love this book. I now greatly dislike being one of the first dissenters on a new release, but I’m compelled to review and to be honest.

Swanson’s writing is definitely good and there are some genuinely lovely spiritual themes in this novel about overcoming our pasts and our innate power to choose life over darkness – but I’m afraid this rather grown-u
Mara YA Mood Reader
I'm always down for dark Pan *eeeek* This better freaking deliver!
S.G. Willoughby
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*beams* WHERE IS BOOK 2?!?!?! I don't know why I *didn't* expect a cliffhanger. Anyway, this is going to be a very scattered review because I wasn't able to review it right away, but definitely read this.

Dust was beautiful. It wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, really, but I did read TGWCS and this was definitely its own unique style.

I related so much to Claire, especially in unique ways as a chronic illness warrior. Chronic illness isn't mentioned in the book at all
Jane
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a gloriously magical tale! This book is so full of whimsy and beauty, but so deep and resounding in how it deals with darkness and trauma. I was so captivated by this story from the first page.

The characters are so real and complex. Each new chapter reveals another layer of who they are, right down to the darkest shadows of their souls. Peter’s struggles of growing up and taking responsibility, Claire’s of not fitting in. Both of them not yet sure who they are. Both of them dealing with tra
Claude's Bookzone
Dec 23, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF 25%
I read it once to 25% then realised I was bored and had no idea what was happening as a result. I started again and got to 15%. I love reimaginings and other people have enjoyed this. Just not for me.
Emily Grant
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Peter Pan lovers, get the heck on board because THIS BOOK WAS A RIDE AND A HALF.

Dust is about Claire, a nineteen-year-old girl who desperately wants to know what happened to her brother who disappeared six years ago. She refuses to believe in fairy tales, yet she can't tear herself away from the copy of Peter Pan that seems to hold clues to Connor's disappearance. And she also has mysterious dust that comes from her hands and til now has done nothing but harm.

And then there's Peter, who is stuc
Savannah Grace
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my GRACIOUS I love this book.

What can I even say?? Swanson's Dust is the best retelling of Peter Pan I've ever seen. Even as a reread, it's /amazing/. It's a story that just overflows with magic. And the characters! Are amazing! They're some of the best I've ever read - and though this book switches between the POVs of the two main characters (Peter and Claire), they both felt so distinctly /themselves/ that I never wanted to skip one character's chapter to read the other's. I loved Peter's
m a r y l i z
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
This is going to be a tough one to review.

*le sigh*

This was one of my most-anticipated reads for the year - for many years, actually. I love the author dearly and that always makes it hard to review books that feel, well, disappointing.

Things I liked:
- Peter Pan retellings !!! Peter Pan is one of my favorite stories, so I'm always down for another Neverland tale.
- Ok but have you seen this cover?! It's even more stunning in person.
- Tiger Lily is an actual Queen™ and no one can convince me othe
R.J.
Jul 21, 2020 added it
Did you ever have a crush on Peter Pan?

I didn’t read the full version of Barrie’s novel until I was grown up (the horror!) but as a kid I had a big volume of fairy tales and children’s stories that included an excerpt, and I absolutely fell in love with Peter’s story. I thought the Disney cartoon was just OK, but I was a big fan of HOOK when it first came out (dating myself here!) and saw it several times.

Anyway, one of the problems I have with retellings or spinoffs of Peter Pan is that they of
Bella Putt
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
I never read retellings. I don’t read many fairytales. Going into Dust, I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that I loved Kara Swanson’s writing, and I was eager to read her work.

I was completely blown away.

I read Dust at the very beginning of quarantine, and in such an unprecedented, odd, and even scary time, Dust was a beacon of hope. A gripping, magical, and beautiful story, I could hardly stop reading.

From the very beginning, I was hooked. The plot was complex and detailed, and I lo
Kate
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
2/5stars

originally DNF'd, decided to really quickly finish it just to make sure I didn't miss anything that would have helped in my thesis and I didn't lol this is pretty typical, pretty unoriginal, lots of "I'm not like other girls," told in multi POVs but cant tell the dif between any of them, and pretty unmemorable.
ryan elizabeth
✦ 4/5 ✦

I personally liked The Girl Who Could See much better than Dust, but it was still awesome. The characters (my favorites were Peter and Lily!!) were all so deep and amazing...I loved the story (LOVE the dark fairytale aesthetic) but the pacing felt a little off, I think. Not too much actually happened until the end, and I would've liked it to be a little more exciting before then! I also got a little annoyed with how Peter spoke...sounded pretty fake. Swanson's writing style is GORGEOUS th
Jenna
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I especially love how Kara captured the boyish recklessness, immatureness of Peter Pan while still making him so much deeper of a character. Claire's personal journey of discovering who she is, what her dust is, and about her scars is inspiring and I'm sure can touch many hearts. I LOVED the growing relationship between Claire and Lily. We need more good girl relationships in fiction.
Dust was a book full of magic and whimsy and nostalgia, but also something deeper and dark
Veronica Lynn
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most magical and meaningful book I have ever read.
Which is saying a lot because I read more than Belle and Hermione combined!!!

I was captivated from page one of this story and delighted throughout.

The Peter Pan character in this book is such a glorious hybrid of the classic Peter we all know and love and a Peter that is current and original and exciting.
He's daring, and whimsical, and hilarious and he is also troubled in a way that is interesting and endearing.
Every scene with P
Gabrielle Pollack
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reviewing Dust was a pretty daunting task because there are not enough words in the human language to describe how fantastic this story is. The characters are real and dimensional, the conflict is gripping and emotional, and the story world is convincing. I geeked out over the perfectly placed Peter Pan references and thought the story's message was personal, relatable, and needed.

The central relationship between Peter and Claire was fantastic! Both characters are incredibly complex and nuanced,
Ewe Linka
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dust is a Peter Pan retelling introducing a brand new character called Claire who desperately wants to reunite with her lost brother.

Kara takes us on a mesmerising adventure with the way she weaves her descriptions throughout the whole book and I am left speechless with her way with words. I adore well written descriptions and she had matched that expectation so well.

This is the first book in the series and it doesn't answer many of the questions I may have by reaching the end of Dust. It defini
Bryn Shutt
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fantastic blend of old fashioned fairy tale and modern urban fantasy. The pacing was quick, the pov deep and the stakes high. I loved the humor and dialogue style Swanson chose for this story. But aside from all the fun, fantasy and villainry, the message of hope and a way over and through the darkness was beautifully presented and heart-touching.

But seriously … someone make Peter eat vegetables. Too many sweets is not good for a growing boy ;).
Lizzy
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
-stunned silence-

I loved this so much. Dust instantly dragged me in and captivated me the whole time I was reading (and even when I wasn't). It's so beautiful and broken and hope-filled. Through Claire's and Peter's journeys, it shows the pain of not fitting in, of growing up, and of loss. But it also reveals the light in the darkness, the stars that peek through the shadows, and it's so amazing to read.

If the beginning of this gorgeous adventure is any indication, then Shadow will be epic, too
Josiah
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I had the privilege to read an early draft of the work earlier this year. The published version is even better. Swanson has a powerful knack of getting into her character's heads and weaves some wonderful deception and tension between them with the various secrets characters are keeping.

(Or at least the one's Peter's keeping. I guess it's mostly Peter. Though I suppose Hook probably has secrets of his own.)

Between some fantastic characters, a riveting conclusion, and a powerful setup for Shadow,
Bethany Rose
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew this book would make me cry, and it did.

Dust is SUCH a beautiful story. It was unique, too. I don't want to give out spoilers, but I would *highly* recommend preordering this lovely Peter Pan retelling! You'll love the main character, Claire, and the characterization of Peter is spot on and such fun.

From one Neverland lover to another, please read this book!

(I received an eARC in exchange for an honest review. ❤️)
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Are ALL of the stars an option?! 😍😍😍

Full review to come.
♠ Tabi⁷ ♠
Jun 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I know I've been absent from Goodreads BUT LONG ENOUGH TO MISS A NEW PETER PAN BOOK??

tragic
Megan
Can I just say this book is truly magical?! “Dust” by Kara Swanson is a “Peter Pan” retelling that takes place after the events of the original story, so it is also a sequel. This story has many of the whimsical, magical elements that one expects from a “Peter Pan” retelling, but it also has a darker, more gritty side to it as well.

“Dust” is truly a masterpiece. The way Ms. Swanson writes is lyrical and witty. I especially love how she portrays Peter Pan and how she writes his voice in the stor
Ashley Townsend
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A vibrant, heartbreaking, and magical story of hope and discovering that—with faith, trust, and a little pixie dust—the way to your home is the second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

This truly felt like J.M. Barrie’s classic come to life in our world!
Peter felt like he WAS a more mature version of the Peter Pan I grew up reading. Kara set the tone of his personality and character so I heard him crow triumphantly, or pictured Peter flying on his belly, taunting Hook with an impi
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Peter Pan retelling/sequel is just as whimsical, adventurous, and deep as its stunning cover. I love how Kara made the characters of Neverland her own while remaining true to their hearts, flaws, and personalities. Tiger Lily is a fierce and confident warrior princess. Peter is still a brat - but a mischievous, heroic lovable one who's learning. Hook is suave and creepy. And at the heart of it is a sister who just wants to find her brother, and maybe while she's at it her place in this worl ...more
Carissa (Regency Woman)
Here we are, the first book read in 2021.

Dust is the story of a girl named Claire and her search for her missing twin brother Connor. Her quest takes her to London and from there into a magical reality where pixies and pirates exist and so does a boy called Peter Pan.

Overall this is a solid addition to the Christian YA fantasy genre, a genre that really needs some serious bulking up, imo. So it's refreshing to see someone doing the popular thing and that is writing a reimagining of a fairy tale
Kimberly
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review from Elena Harris:

Dust is honestly like no book I've ever read.

It's a beautifully written modern fantasy... and a really clever Peter Pan retelling. After I finished it, I had to just think about it for a long time. The plot twist at the end was... kind of brilliant and totally broke my heart. I can't wait to see these beautiful characters again. Altogether, a well-done book that I'll read again like it's an old friend. I'm going to be waiting impatiently for the next book. :)

I received
Chautona Havig
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can this Retelling Make Me Love a Book I Never Liked?

Well, I don't know if I'll ever like the original Peter Pan, but this book... oh boy!

Kara Swanson skillfully—almost magically, in fact—weaves a believable tale of... Sorry.  I have to do it.  It's true.  Faith. Trust. Pixie dust!

Without ever referring directly to Jesus (and really, this is one book where I think that was a solid developmental choice), Swanson dives into this tale and shows both what a lack of faith does, how our actions can in
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Moonscript
  • Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Hidden Current (The Dancing Realms, #1)
  • Brand of Light (The Droseran Saga #1)
  • Swift (The Flight and Flame Trilogy, #1)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Winter, White and Wicked
  • Dearest Josephine
  • Forsaken Island (The Dancing Realms #2)
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • The Black Midnight (True Colors)
  • Dawn of Vengeance (Droseran Saga, #2)
As the daughter of missionaries, KARA SWANSON spent her childhood running barefoot through the lush jungles of Papua New Guinea. Able to relate with characters dropped into a unique new world, she quickly fell in love with the fantasy genre.

Swanson is the award-winning author of The Girl Who Could See and Peter Pan retelling/sequel Dust (Enclave Publishing, July 2020). She helps young writers ex

Heirs of Neverland (2 books)
  • Shadow (Heirs of Neverland, #2)