Start by marking “Melt My Heart” as Want to Read:
Melt My Heart

Melt My Heart

Lily Rose is used to people paying attention to her gorgeous twin sister, Daisy. But even though Lily loves her own fat body, she can't shake the idea that no one would ever choose her over Daisy – not when they could have the thin twin.

That is, until she meets Cal, the gorgeous, sweet guy from New Zealand who can't seem to stay away. The gorgeous, sweet guy who also happe
Published July 23rd 2020 by Macmillan Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about Melt My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melt My Heart

Start your review of Melt My Heart
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: bi mc, Black wlw li, side mlm characters

CWs: biphobia & fatphobia (both challenged)

Galley provided by publisher

Melt My Heart was probably one of my most anticipated releases in 2020. You see, UKYA is easily still lagging behind the States when it comes to a push for diversity, so this was an exciting prospect. And this is not to say it’s not a good book – there were myriad things I enjoyed about it – but it is to say that I, perhaps, did not enjoy it so much as I expected to.
Alice Slater
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How can a book be both extremely cosy and also extremely the perfect holiday read? I loved this book, full of hot summer days and melting ice creams and romantic adventures and frosty pints. It’s like the first mouthful of a can of ice-cold coke. Cooling aloe on a sunburn. A dip in the sea on a baking hot day. Refreshing and delightful, full of small pleasures and big decisions, teen activism and fat girls and blossoming bisexuality. I LOVED IT.
Lydia Hephzibah
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The fat rep! The bi rep! The cover! I really enjoyed this book and I loved to read about a character like me (fat and bi and unsure about the world). I especially loved the conversation between Lily and Daisy, when Lily pointed out how fatphobic her sister's little comments are. If only more straight size people understood how harmful their little remarks can be! ...more
Steph
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My bloody god this is CUTE AF. This is full of light, love and sheer lushness. Lily is a glorious character and to be honest there’s a lot of me in her. I love the messages of body positivity, family and friendship in this. I just wanna hug them all so much. Cal is a GEM of a human and I’m so glad that Lily had him! God. I definitely want more from these... and now I want ice cream!
Katy
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It may only be August, but this is my book of the year. Heart warming, it made me laugh and cry and feel so much. I loved it and I know it’ll be a book I re-read many times.
Charlie Watkins
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just want every homophobic, fatphobic, racist asshole to read this and then defend their views
Emmie Rose
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was scared going into this book as I loved No Big Deal so much but honestly Bethany Rutter has done it again.

Melt My Heart is an adorable coming of age story that is perfect for YA readers. It didn’t take long for me to love Lily Rose and how in love she is with her body. What I loved the most is that she’s unapologetically human and she has her own flaws. She’s struggling with the idea of going to university, leaving her best friend behind and the feeling that she will never be on the same le
SJ
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you know how nice it is to read a book with a fat protagonist? Do you know how nice it is to read a book with a fat protagonist who is happy with how they look and doesn't spend the entire book talking about their weight? (I'm looking at you Bridget Jones). Normalise fat bodies, normalise queer fat bodies and normalise all the ways that humans can exist and not just by measuring how they look 🙌

Melt My Heart is a gentle, fun, enjoyable summer read - a perfect bit of escapism in these (say it w
K.
Trigger warnings: alcohol abuse, fatphobia, fat shaming, homophobia, cheating.

Well this was fucking adorable. I literally read it cover to cover in a couple of hours while watching Die Hard and I have zero regrets. Lily is a delightful character and I loved that this features a protagonist who's realising that going straight from high school to university isn't something she's ready for. It's a quiet story about realising who you are and what's important to you, and being comfortable with yours
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A fun YA read and I loved the fact it was partly about body positivity, so nice to see this being supported and included so much more especially in books for YA readers. I loved Lily, she was a great main character and I loved how she struggled when th her conundrum, worrying about and trying to maintain her relationships with everyone , it’s such a fun read but with lots of heart too. Fabulous read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Hannah Rae
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Maybe I was spoilt by reading No Big Deal first and how absolutely marvellous that was (still has a place on my top 10 list). But this one just seemed so flat in comparison!
I loved that there was plus size appreciation, and that us chunky ladies can still rock people’s worlds, but I felt that there was so much missing here! I need a while to convey my thoughts...
Sophie Elaina
I have complicated feelings about this book. On one hand the fat representation was excellent but on the other I really didn’t enjoy the story. I found myself getting easily distracted and bored while reading which I’m really sad about since I inhale read Rutter’s No Big Deal. The characters weren’t as fleshed out as I’d hoped. I feel as though a certain kind of reader that enjoys dipping their toes into a slice of life kind of story will enjoy this; but I wanted more development and by the end ...more
Sophie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! Lovely queer representation and a really loveable cast of characters. It’s also a quietly political book which I didn’t expect but really appreciated. I can see myself re-reading this as a comfort read in future.
Beth Cooper
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
adorable, summery, unputdownable delight that i got through so quickly! lots of ice cream and sea and cute houses and nice clothes. great fat representation ofc and i would highly highly recommend it for fat (and thin) teenage girls
Samantha-Louise
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I finished Melt My Heart after spending the last day of school on the Common like a teenager and this has all the ingredients of a modern British YA novel: a cute seaside setting, sibling love, female friendships, summer romance, artists, fashionistas, results day anxieties, anti-racism and a supportive mum.

Lily is a confident fat protagonist who challenges her sister's careless comments and "well-meaning" assertion, "I don't see you as fat" which is incredibly empowering! The love story here is
Rosamund
Such a feel-good read!
Bex
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing. Really, truly amazing. Just... wow.

Melt My Heart is about Lily Rose: artist and ice cream seller. She's just finished sixth form, she's going out with a Totally Hot Guy, and the summer stretches out ahead of her. Which all sounds good in theory... But in reality it's maybe not that simple. Her twin sister fell for Totally Hot Guy first, things keep getting weird with her best friend, and she thinks she might be the only person ever to not want to get the grades for university.
Althea
Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in return for a review!

The book follows our main character Lily who has always felt like she is in her twin sister, Daisy's, shadow - she's fat and has never received the same attention from other people her age that Daisy gets as she is seen as the 'less pretty' twin. She's hopefully heading off to Leeds after the Summer to do an art history degree but at the same time is scared to leave her best friend Cassie behind. One night, she meets Cal and the two instant
Rebecca
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that looks right into you, sees your deepest fears, then brings them to the surface, polishes them off, and shows you there’s nothing to be scared about.

Lily is happy. She’s got the whole summer ahead of her to spend with her best friend Cassie working at the ice cream stall before she goes off to uni in September. Until then, she’s going to make the most of the time she has with her twin Daisy, Cassie, her close family, and the little seaside town she grew up in and l
CherryCarrot
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Melt My Heart tells the story of a summer in the life of 18-year-old Lily, who isn't sure she really wants to go to university, is trying to figure out her identity, and is dealing with how she and the world see her size.

The things I liked: Lily's insecurities about going to university felt realistic, and overall she was a relatable character. The friendship between her and Cassie was sweet.

Things I didn't like: Not an awful lot happened in the book. And as there's quite a lot of repetition (we'
Rose
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jeni Skelland
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alice Moon
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
An easy summer read! It wasn't as I thought would be. I expected a girl who doesn't see herself beautiful. But she meets the perfect boy and he makes her to understand that being beautiful doesn't mean being skinny. Happy ending. Oh and somewhere in this image you can find her best friend. I know it sounds like a cliche. But for me it's better than the actual story.

I don't want to sound harsh. The book started good. I used to feel "invisible" as Lily when I was in high school. So of course I wan
Iwona
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, read-in-english
Sadly this one i enjoyed less than "no big deal". It was still a good book, i loved the bisexual fat female rep. But there was some things that didnt work for me.
1. Dialogues - i feel like sometimes they just weren't realstic. Most authors usually tries too hard to soud like teens, but i think Rutter was just not trying at all and sometimes i felt like i was reading a conversation between two elderly ladies rather two eighteen year-old girls.
2. Although i loved the concept of fat rep i really am
tessie
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Melt My Heart is a fun sapphic romance with a slice of life story that lots of readers would enjoy but didn’t hold my attention.

I found myself easily bored and distracted while reading this, and wasn’t sure if it was a me thing or a book thing. This book beautifully shows someone questioning her sexuality and at the transition period of the end of secondary school, making the most of a fun summer - a great set up.

The downfall of this book is that this is a character focused book and very littl
Amy Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Another absolute banger from Bethany! Her writing is so warm and joyful, and it makes for a cosy, light-hearted read that still hits on some important and real issues. It's perfectly observed, and her depiction of a small seaside town felt so real to me. It was at once incredibly modern and incredibly nostalgic, which feels like the perfect combination for a summer read.

The characters are all absolute gems and Bethany does a perfect job of allowing their flaws and insecurities to play out on th
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lily is spending her last summer before university very busy, between hanging out with best friend Cassie and working at the ice cream stand together, she falls for Cal, who just happens to be her twin sister Daisys crush.

However when she starts to get feelings like not wanting to go to university and crushing on her friend, things get complicated can she solve all her summer dilemmas?

Bethany always writes great body positive fiction and this one was as usual fabulous again. Lily faces a lot and
ashortbooklover
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Firstly, I have to say that Rutter crafts amazing, very believable teenage characters that I never struggle to engage with and just utterly fall in love with. Her books are just filled with gorgeous romance and thought-provoking discussion of incredibly relevant issues for myself and my peers. She has such a gift for bottling the sunshine-soaked feeling of summer love in this feel-good YA contemporary about love, family and finding yourself & your path.

The setting was just perfect for me, in tha
Anastasia Gammon
This is Lily's summer of new things. It's her last summer in the lovely seaside town she grew up in before she leaves for university in the autumn and, although she should be excited, she can't quite bring herself to be. She's spending the summer working with her best friend, Cassie, at Cassie's parent's ice cream stand; doing one new thing every day to prepare herself for the shock of moving away; and she's met a cute boy, Cal, who for once actually likes her rather than her twin sister, Daisy. ...more
Roberta
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet story, all about a girl who is pretty stressed out and not confident of what she’s doing, and how she moves forward over the course of one summer. It’s a little too angsty for my taste, but it really is a lovely story and very well written. I like the fact that as well as the main character development theme, there’s also other strands in there about racism and homophobia, and about being truthful and true to yourself. I love the diverse characters. And I love the way the wh ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Boy Parts
  • Fattily Ever After: A Black Fat Girl's Guide to Living Life Unapologetically
  • Llama Out Loud!
  • That Time I Got Kidnapped
  • Dangerous Remedy (Battalion of the Dead, #1)
  • Blood Moon
  • The Mercies
Hi! I’m Bethany Rutter. In my day job I am social editor at navabi, a women’s plus size fashion brand. On the side, I am a writer, editor and podcaster, and I still occasionally update my plus size fashion blog.

News & Interviews