Start by marking “How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark” as Want to Read:
How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark

How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Appealing art and descriptive text bring Lewis and Clark alive for young adventurers. Carefully chosen text from Lewis and Cark's actual journals opens a fascinating window into this country's exciting history.
Published March 1st 2002 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How We Crossed the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Crossed the West

Karen Witzler
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent children's non-fiction picture book detailing the journey of Lewis and Clark and their Corps of Discovery. Most of the text is taken from the actual account. The passages have been chosen with great care for the intended audience of ages 6 and older. They reveal just enough information to fuel further questions and study and provide a sense of the wonder and danger of the enterprise along with moments of humor. Sacajawea, York, and the faithful Newfoundland dog Seaman get their due in ...more
Kathryn
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finally read How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark and I enjoyed it. I really appreciated that it is comprised of primary source material (from the journals, letters, etc. of Lewis and Clark). I think it's very meaningful and educational to hear "in their own words" historical accounts and I felt that the selections here were well-chosen and illuminating* -- though not comprehensive for a picture book I felt it was appropriate, maybe a tad long, and certainly too long and ...more
Dolly
With big, colorful photographs and actual quotes from the journals of the adventurers, this story brings the journey of Lewis and Clark across the Northwest U.S. to the Pacific Ocean. I thought the narrative was very readable and I loved that the actual diary entries were the bulk of the narrative.

Although we were very familiar with the story, we all learned something new. For example, Meriweather Lewis brought along a 150-pound Newfoundland named Seaman.

I also learned that William Clark broug
Dianna
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this simplified account of the Lewis and Clark journey with actual quotes from the journals and beautiful illustrations. I would have liked perhaps a few more details and maps of where they were (there is a map at the end, but little mention of locations during the actual text). My seven-year-old also read this book and enjoyed the details.
Kayla Graham
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A highly information social studies text, this book uses a variety of methods to present the most accurate information about the Lewis Clark expedition to survey the western territory in the 19th century. Including things such as transcribed letters, timelines, maps, and detailed illustrations in order to present as much information to the audience as possible. The book also describes key players in the expedition that are not as well known. The audience can expect to come away from reading this ...more
Michelle Christensen
The thing that I enjoyed about this book was that took excerpts from the journals of Lewis and Clark and others on their expedition and quoted them. Sometimes the quotes were shortened to put them on the level of a children's book. The book was short, but it intrigued me and I'd like to read an adult book about the expedition.
Brandi
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Historically accurate and beautiful illustrations. I throughly enjoyed this book as one of the selections in our study on Lewis and Clark.
Amber
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Response- I chose this book because after skimming it in the LRC I saw a picture I recognized and remembered I had read this book in elementary school. I wanted to read it again and review it as a future teacher. I love that the book has so many fun facts about Lewis and Clark's adventure including a list of requirements for the journey and the original crew. The book had fantastic illustrations and journal entries for discoveries.

Purpose in the Classroom- The book is pretty long so it
Jenny
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fascinating look at Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. The text is comprised mainly of actual journal entries made by Lewis and Clark as they journey west. Includes a number of interesting facts, such as that Sacagawea was given part of a rattlesnake's rattle in water to ingest when she was in labor, because it was believed that it would shorten the labor. Ten minutes later, she gave birth to a baby boy. The illustrations are done on canvas, and filled with lots of interesting details that al ...more
Maria Garcia
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, nonfiction
Interest Level: Ages 7 to up
Reading Level: Ages 8 to up
Lexile Reading Level: AD890L
Nominated for: Emphasis on Reading Award (in 1997)

Historical war that portrays and illustrates the American settlement and Nation creation. The book presents accurate historical dates, names, and events in a clear, understandable and in a easy-to-remember way.
It mentions some of the Native-American cultures and traditions, but it mainly focuses on one ethnic group, promoting certain stereotypes and racial misunde
Brandi
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a colorful, informative and creative book on the Adventures of Lewis and Clark! Includes letters, journal entries, plant and animal sketches, meet the explorers and their entourage sort of page, maps--all in beautiful and thoughtful folk art inspired illustrations (author/illustrator states "...I painted on rough canvas with watered-down acrylics and added colored pencil to bring out the texture."). I can't wait to begin the history unit for which I chose this book. The kids will be so insp ...more
Linda
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, montana
Rosalyn Schanzer did her research, and the resulting National Georgraphic Society children's book depicting Lewis & Clark as they crossed the land on their way to the Pacific is well done. Schanzer's illustrations are loosely based on the style of the early artists of the west, and the story itself is told through the journals of the Corps of Discovery.

I grew up with the Missouri River as my back yard and have long lived with the tales of Lewis & Clark. The book is a nice introduction to
Ebookwormy1
Schanzer colorfully introduces the adventures and trials of the Lewis & Clark expedition for young elementary students. Older readers will find the text somewhat lacking in detail, but younger readers will discover the challenges of their expedition and some of the reasons it was an astonishing success. Vivid illustrations drawn in a the styles of the time are thoroughly researched and as enlightening as the text. An outstanding lower grammar work.
Cheryl
This book was terrific. It is told with well-chosen quotes from the actual journals of Lewis and Clark. The language doesn't come across as stuffy or old... it's very lively. Rosalyn Schanzer has used something of a folk style to illustrate it, making everything very clear and readable. An excellent read.
Matthew
This is a great book. It is written for children but it is just as enjoyable if read as an adult. It is packed with lots of details both in terms of the illustrations and the text, which more often than not uses direct quotes from the journals of Lewis, Clark, or other members of the Corps of Discovery.
Heather
My boys really enjoyed this and it gets pulled out over and over again. The information is solid but rather basic (good for elementary school) but I feel like you'd definitely need more for middle/junior high.

The illustrations are well done and you could easily use this to jump into some nature study to learn about the various animals/plants they discovered.
Jen
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent little book to introduce young students to the adventures of Lewis and Clark. Includes their initial commission by President Jefferson, the crew, original letters from Lewis, Clark and journal entries. Stories and more along the way to the Pacific Ocean and back again.
Ayana Mishelle
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is great for teaching about the Lewis and clark expedition I really liked that it includes information about York the slave .We used it in our PTLS unit as a resource for students. the illustrations are great and helpful for visual learners and ELL students.
Eden
In this book we read about Lewis and Clark about their travels. It is really interesting to read how far they travelled. It is a nice book. I think any children would like this. It's very easy to read and is written in a fun way.
Morgen Shambaugh

This book is very educational and includes primary source documents, embedded in the story of lewis and clark. This book accurately portrays their travels through the west. It is useful for teaching students about lewis and clark and explorers in general.
Caren
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love anything about these guys. Schanzer has a great way of relating historical info in an appealing away for kids.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
great pictures but too long to be a good real aloud
Rivka D.
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a little kid. This whole book is just gorgeous. Highly recommended.
Elizabeth
Well researched book based on journal entries.
Shelly♥
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It had a great breakdown of some of the things on Lewis and Clark's trip West. Illustrations were marvelous, only wish it had just a few more things in it from the trip.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
- End paper introduce map of route Lewis and Clark took.
- adequate information, but illustration are very stylized
- use with younger grades 1-3

Denise
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Simple introduction to Lewis & Clark. I was hoping for a bit more info but it is appropriate for the age it is recommended for. Good illustrations and some journal entries.
Jaylin Brooks
Books is full of dated details from the expedition.
Faith Hough
This is non-fiction for kids at its very best. Like Rosalyn Schanzer's book about John Smith, this is one we bought for "history lessons" which very quickly migrated to the "story book" shelf.
Erienne
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
We loved this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • George the Drummer Boy
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • The Last Princess: The Story of Princess Ka'iulani of Hawai'i
  • Immigrant Kids
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Abraham Lincoln's World
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy