Start by marking “Zmiznutie Stephanie Mailerovej” as Want to Read:
Zmiznutie Stephanie Mailerovej

Zmiznutie Stephanie Mailerovej

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  11,402 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews
Pokojným prímorským mestečkom Orphea v štáte New York otriasla 30. júla 1994 hrôzostrašná udalosť - vražda primátora a jeho rodiny, ako aj náhodnej svedkyne zločinu, mladej bežkyne. Vyšetrovanie zločinu vedie štátna polícia. Schopní a ambiciózni vyšetrovatelia pomerne rýchlo vypátrajú vraha, za čo si vyslúžia uznanie nadriadených a dokonca vyznamenanie. Lenže po ...more
Published January 2019 by Vydavateľstvo SLOVART (first published March 7th 2018)

·  11,402 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews

Start your review of Zmiznutie Stephanie Mailerovej
Annet
English review & book description! New book of Joel Dicker and I love his stories. It is weird, I've seen this book in German, French, Dutch and other languages but not in English. So, here's the outline: Title: the disappearance of Stephanie Mailer. Orphea is a quiet seatown in the Hamptons, a few hours drive from New York. A small and quiet town, not much happening, until on 30 July 1994 an aweful event happens: the killing of the mayor and his family in his home, as well as a jogging ...more
Ceecee
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4 stars

This is a hard one to review as parts of this book are really good, parts are very slow and some sections go off on tangents that don’t add much to the storyline. The start is really good with a dramatic quadruple shooting in Orphea, a small sleepy town in The Hamptons in 1994. It’s the opening night of the Orphea theatre festival so attention is on that. This case is investigated by Jesse Rossenberg and Derek Scott of the State Police. They suspect local restaurant owner Ted Tennenbaum
Bernie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Irène
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've finished «La Disparition de Stéphanie Mailer» by Joël Dicker 2 days ago. Overall, I enjoyed my time reading it, it made me want to read thrillers again! It’s a complex story with a lot of twists, suspense, and questions. I liked the flashbacks that gave us context and explanations for some events. Flashbacks bothered some reader but for me, it’s a win! I always enjoyed that kind of writing for a thriller! I can’t explain too much because I don’t want to spoil you, guys!

The characters are
Martha Roca
Total deception. After Henry Quebert, that was one of my favourite books ever, I waited for something good. This book is bad. A pity. I expected more from Joel Dicker.
Tanja Berg
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
The journalist Stephanie Mailer disappears after she has been asking about the 20-year old, resolved, massacre of a family and an innocent bystander. The family belonged to the mayor of Orphea. The police men who wrapped up the case have to consider whether their perpetrator wasn’t really the one.

This is an incredibly well plotted crime novel with a large cast of characters of which many get to share their point of view. There are subplots and detours galore. There are several timelines and for
Katerina Kondrenko
9 out of 10

A bit tired of writing & writer's motive is in this book too, it gets old, Mr. Dicker. But the story itself was complex and entangled enough to like. Lives, deaths, all that jazz. Four people were murdered 20 years ago. Four people will be murdered now. How? Why? Read it to know)
Tannaz
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow! it's 2:30 AM, and I couldnt sleep till I finished the book!!
Master Edition Strasbourg
As someone who was familiar with Dicker's work, having already read two of his novels including "La Vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert", I was expecting his last novel with quite high hopes. I was unfortunately very disappointed by the plot. I can assure you that, if you have already read "la vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert", reading "La disparition de Stéphanie Mayer" is completely useless. The storyline is almost the same and the storytelling process, the story being told through two ...more
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
I read the French (original) version of this book, and I have enjoyed past books by Dicker more than this one.
There were more than one character that didn't really bring anything to the story, it's as if they were there just to try to complicate the plot - and that really wasn't necessary.
I was also surprised by some time-line mistakes - on the same page, first there was Monday, June 23rd, and then later, it was Monday, June 26th, for example.
The overall story was good, though, and the
Valentine
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Okay so, where do I start? This book was huge. It was great, even if some things disturbed me. So, let's divide this review in two parts.

WHAT I LIKED:
-The plot. It was really well done, there is some suspence all along the book.
-The characters. There are a lot of them, sure, but still, I wasn't really lost, and it permits to complexify the story.
-The big plot twist. I didn't expect that AT ALL, and I was shocked lmao.
(view spoiler)
Sarah 🐙
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Dicker did it again. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Case will always be my favorite, but this one was very close. Dicker has an ability to weave a story through so many different threads, and you don’t understand the importance of every thread until you’ve reach the end and you see the big picture. I hope this make sense, but if it didn’t I’ll make this simpler: it was fricking amazing.
Tere Romances
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1,5

First of all, I have nothing against Joël Dicker, I actually really liked his two books in the Marcus Goldman series.

This novel had too many characters and was too long. He doesn't need to extend the story so much, it just becomes repetitive. And also the amount of foresight he does it annoying.
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Quercus Books for an advance copy of The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer, a stand-alone set in The Hamptons town of Orphea.

At his pre-retirement presentation Captain Jesse Rosenberg of the New York State Police is approached by journalist Stephanie Mailer who suggests that he might have got his first big case from 20 years ago wrong. That evening Stephanie disappears and as it isn’t reported for several days Jesse is already in Orphea re-investigating the
Kriste
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer is the latest book by Joel Dicker that I have read. I have read by now most of his books and I really enjoyed them. I really like this one, but could not decide if I should give 3* or 4*, most likely it is 3.5* rounded. However in my opinion his best book and my favourite is La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry QuebertLa Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert.
As in all previous books by Joel Dicker, I enjoyed the story line and the strong and unique characters he creates
Miriam
Somehow a 'whodunnit', somehow a portrayal of a small-town commmunity, somehow a portrayal of different characters and a study in people.
Changing perspectives and narrators, the author makes us understand not only one protagonist, but at least the three main characters looking for a solution of the old murder case from 20 years ago, if not more. This way of telling the story also keeps you interested and invested in the story and the characters.
Even though I suspected who did it, it did not
Luc Freijer
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After ‘The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair’ this is the second Dicker I read and yes, it’s another perfect detective with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Perfect holiday read, took it everywhere, even to the top of a Tiroler mountain, as I couldn’t stop reading in order to figure out whodunit.
Hermien
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner in the beginning but the ending tended a bit towards a soap opera. Still a very entertaining and enjoyable read.
Emma Verbree
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, although somewhat predictable and unrealistic here and there, is a real page turner: it took me four days to read all 634 pages. Never once was I bored or impatient by it. Well done!
Mariagiulia
Overall disappointing.
I loved "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair" and also "The Baltimore Boys" but in this case, I think that Joel Dicker missed the target.
Undoubtedly I appreciated the complexity of the story: it is not easy to keep the readers interested for 700 pages avoiding them to get lost in the dozens of characters and different situations presented. The plot was well built and till the end I kept on wondering about who could have been the murderer.
Anyway, there were many
Antonio
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dicker is quickly establishing his formula for creating an unputdownable book. Non flat characters with believable arcs, interests and secrets which lay a tapestry of complex relations between them deepened as the book progresses.

As done in the previous book El libro de los Baltimore a fatal event is set midpoint of the book, so the book can create momentum up to this point and later pick up the pieces to form the aftermath. And although the tactic is set, it really works, captivating me from
Alvaro Cobian
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion it's such a poor book. Not just by the fact that it starts with the topic of a great policeman who is going to retire and one week before he need to investigate about an old murder that he though solved 20 years ago... it's full of clichés at the same time: the sense of responsibility of a good man, who lives with the memory of he beloved girlfriend who died for what he consideres his fault... and many more.
The plot is absolutely inconsistent, there is no justification for some
Melissa
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, netgalley, 2020
I was hoping to love The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer. Back in 2016, I read Joël Dicker's The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair, and noted in my review that I'd be surprised to read a better crime novel that year. Unfortunately, if I go the rest of 2020 without reading a better crime novel than Stephanie Mailer, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Let's start with the good: the kernel of this book is a really solid mystery scenario. The week of his retirement, celebrated detective Jesse
Jeremy Scheurer
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this is a bit more of a 3.5
Honestly, I was not very dedicated to reading during the last month, which is probably why it seemed like ages until the story started to pick up - I had spent ages without reading a word. Between yesterday and today, however, I ended up reading the last 300 pages of this novel, just like it has happened whenever I pick up a Joël Dicker book.
However, unlike Baltimore Boys and The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair, I often considered this story to be written in a
Georgiana Gligor
FORGETTABLE

I'm sure what I'm about to say will offend some people, but this novel, although hyped about, is so forgettable it's gonna go out of my head the moment I finish it.

But don't get me wrong, the writing is not bad, it's just... nothing special, I guess. It cannot be distinguished from the next murder mystery you'd see on a shelf. It's just interesting enough to read on the bus without falling asleep!

It's even more tragic because it had multiple stories merging together in surprising
`Cristina
I am feeling quite ambivalent about the book, especially after digesting it for few days after finishing it..
I have read the book in one week, basically glued since page 1. The story is intriguing, with so many twists and turns... characters surface, we think that's it, and then another turn.. I think this is the real talent of Joel Dicker, its the same style of the Harry Quebert book. It feels like a gentle tornado, as a reader you are lifted into the story, and you just roll with it. It is
JGrant '71
Very Disappointing.
Inasmuch as I loved La Vérité sur l’Affaire Harry Quebert (5/5 rating), this didn’t make the grade. The story followed the same structure as “Québert”, with a jumble of characters who all could be involved in the mystery - and the first third of the story actually worked well as the lead investigators try to determine what happened to Stephanie Mailer, an aspiring and accomplished crime reporter.
However, from there on, the story becomes increasingly non-credible, mainly due
Kate
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read Joel Dicker's "La verité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert" and despite finding the narrator insufferable, the supposedly great love affair between a 14-year-old girl and a 30-something man implausible and icky, and the author's understanding of American culture tenuous at best, I still somehow became completely engrossed in the story, and was eager to pick up Dicker's new mystery/thriller novel. I read this while on vacation and loved every minute of it. It's a bit long, yes, ...more
Renny Barcelos
Unfortunately, this is not up to pair with Dicker's other novels. What worked so well in the Baltimore Boys and The Harry Quibert Affair--the attention to detail, the beautifully measured descriptions, the long chapters, the writing itself, the back and forth through time, and the great dialogues--here somehow does not.

This was a confusing read with so many characters I am not a hundred percent sure I got who did it and why exactly. It takes too long to get to any point and there are many
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Todo Terreno: La desaparició de Stephanie Mailer by Joël Dicker 8 26 Nov 16, 2018 09:06AM

• Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Todo lo que sucedió con Miranda Huff
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #2)
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • La química del odio (Ana Arén, #2)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • La cara norte del corazón
  • Uskollinen lukija
  • El bosque sabe tu nombre
  • Golden Cage
  • Las hijas del capitán
  • Mirjami
  • La verdad sobre el caso Harry Quebert de Joël Dicker (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • La isla de las últimas voces
Joel Dicker was born in 1985 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he studied law. He spent childhood summers in New England, particularly in Stonington and Bar Harbor, Maine. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair won three French literary prizes, including the Grand Prix du Roman from the Académie Française, and was a finalist for the Prix Goncourt. Dicker lives in Geneva.
“Da igual de dónde vengas, la gente te juzgará por adónde vas.” 1 likes
“Ahora han cambiado las expectativas y también las exigencias, porque todo se considera un derecho adquirido.” 1 likes