Start by marking “Dying Valentine” as Want to Read:
Dying Valentine

Dying Valentine

Daniel Hill was on edge. He was meeting his girlfriend’s parents for the first time, and they had to go and make Valentine’s Day evening the date. Who did that? Wasn’t Valentine’s Day for couples and not families? Then the girl in the white dress wandered in front of his vehicle. At that moment, Daniel knew his night was going to take a wrong turn… If only he knew the new ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 25 pages
Published February 11th 2017 by Demnation Press

To ask other readers questions about Dying Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying Valentine

Start your review of Dying Valentine
Dianne
Pretty sure this was the worst Valentine’s Day ever for Daniel Hill. He was running late for dinner with his girlfriend, Julia’s parents. Soooo not his idea, he had wanted to wine and dine Julia, not meet her parents. To make things worse, he forgot his presents for beautiful Julia, his dream girl.

And that is when it happened, he ran into a girl who wandered in front of his speeding vehicle. Definitely not his best Valentine’s Day and it was just going to get worse and bloody and he would learn
Theresa Braun
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin Demmer’s “Dying Valentine” is a smooth, fast-paced read. The action speeds along so much so that I was done with story in what felt like the blink of an eye. One thing that I found most enjoyable is that I started predicting what was going to happen to the main character who runs over a strange woman with his car. I love that Demmer takes the plot somewhere I wasn’t expecting. It’s like he sets you up to anticipate the same old ghost story, but then pulls the rug right out from under you. ...more
Karrie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect short story!

I almost gave it four stars. Yes, I if I be honest with future readers. I nearly did. Then I came to the conclusion that I only had one reason for doing so - and it was pure selfishness! Not unlike a few characters in the tale! Oh, how things are subject to change due in whole to another's feelings. Just because I wanted a different ending! But - I didn't write the story, now did I?
Regina
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: downloaded-ebook
Short and wicked and definitely not what I expected.
Amanda
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little forced, but an excellent concept

This short story has a very unique concept. A young man is meeting his girlfriend's parents for the first time on Valentine's day. His forgetful nature dictates that he return home, because he has forgotten the gifts that he prepared for said girlfriend. On the way, he hits a beautiful woman with his car, who bribes him to stay silent and goes with him to his home. The girlfriend shows up...and we discover that she is something other than human.

I feel
Suz Jay
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daniel’s Valentine’s Day gets off to a terrible start. He’s running late to meet his girlfriend’s parents for the first time. Not only has he forgotten his wallet, the gifts he bought Julia are somewhere in his apartment. In his rush to retrieve the items, he hits a pedestrian with his car.

This is a short and sweet Valentine’s Day horror story that follows a Daniel on his terrible, very bad day. I look forward to reading more of Demmer’s work.
S.J. Budd
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horror writer, Calvin Demmer returns with another triumph Dying Valentine, his latest installment for his dark celebrations series.

It's Valentine's Night and this is a n extra special one for Daniel, he's meeting Julia's parents for the first time tonight and he's anxious for it to go well. He's been seeing his girlfriend for six months but he really loves her and wants to be accepted into the family fold.

However he forgets the roses and chocolates in his haste to get there on time and decides
S.E. Casey
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a stand-alone short story, the strength is in its use of misdirection. The reader is taken on several twists as the obstacles multiply and the main character find himself sinking in an ever expanding quagmire of horror. Yes, this is a Valentines Day story, but is pertinent at any time: the allegories of being a fool for love, or hiding and misrepresenting ourselves in order to be loved like we feel that we deserve, are cautionary tales we can't escape at any time of the year.
Sunshine Somerville
Another great short by this author. I love that each of these has the same level of quality but is distinctly unique. THIS story is oddly tragic. It's hard not to spoil anything in explaining that, but for once the monster/bad guy kind of misses out.
Not your typical romantic Valentine's tale, certainly. But I really liked how this didn't go anywhere I expected.
Rachel Boni
Mar 19, 2017
Jo 🖤
Feb 14, 2020
Sheilah
Dying Valentine was the first of the lot I cracked open. A fitting tale for the Valentine’s Day lover or hater depending on your perspective. Demmer has a theme of writing stories around the holidays and this was another festive special. A dark time for many to be sure. Dying Valentine started off feeling like a Supernatural story-line. I thought initially it was the makings of a repeated theme. A dark road and a woman in white, we’ve all heard that one before. But Demmer has his own version ...more
Abigail
Cryogeniccthulhu
Sara
Feb 06, 2020

• Mile 81
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Stuck-Up Suit
  • Sons of Fire
  • The Grace Year
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
  • Sketch
  • The Unfortunates
  • In the Heart of Babylon
  • Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt, #2)
  • The Ringmaster
  • Scarlet Huntress
  • Deadly Harvest
  • Wink Poppy Midnight
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)
  • The Boneless Mercies
  • Throttle
  • Mark of the Empress (The Empire Saga #2)
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.
“He remembered the time they stood on his bed after making love and danced, holding each other as they swayed to a symphony of silence.” 0 likes