Start by marking “Deep Dark Secrets” as Want to Read:

*** This book was previously published as The Darkness Beneath ***

The darkest minds hide the deepest secrets…

Lizzie Kent wasn't supposed to babysit the night she was murdered. She was covering for her best friend, Nell. Nell has lived with the guilt ever since.

Eighteen years later Nell returns to the area, desperate to escape a bad relationship after inheriting her aunt's
Published January 8th 2020 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Deep Dark Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Dark Secrets

Start your review of Deep Dark Secrets
Linda Strong
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Previously been published under the title The Darkness Beneath

Nell, running from an abusive partner, returns to her aunt's home .. a place that her partner does not know even exists. This is not the only secret she has.

As a teenager, she was hired to babysit. She had a friend cover for her so she could spend some time with her boyfriend at the time. That night, intruders broke in and killed her friend. She has never forgotten nor has she never stopped feeling guilty.

Upon her return, she finds
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The second book that I have read by Beevis and once again I was not disappointed. As the plot developed, I agonised over wanting to know the answers. Characters were likeable, situations believable, and with enough ambiguities to create intriguing questions.

Domestic violence takes centre stage in this novel, making it quite uncomfortable reading. If this topic makes you feel awkward, then I would not recommend reading this book because the scenarios are rather provocative. I personally found it
Shalini
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Woah!! What a book!! I am pretty sure after reading it that the author has some deep and dark subplots lurking in her brain, and some of which has popped into this book.

Nell was supposed to babysit. She made best friend Lizzie take her place. Intruders came in and killed her. Nell left the town in guilt. Years later, she was back home escaping her abusive boyfriend and new murders occurred and old were revealed. One head even floated up in the lake…

My first book by author Kerri Beevis, and I was
Adele Shea
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I must say this book is longer than the average book and to be honest, I normally struggle to keep with long storylines but this book has everything in it to keep you wanting more.
Poor Nell has to be the most unluckiest woman in the world.
4.5*
Honestmamreader
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nell O'Connor is returning to her home town Purity Island after being away for 18 years. Nell is a very unlucky girl. She must have been at the front of the queue with a bucket when they were handing out unluckiness.

Firstly her best friend Lizzie was murdered and now now feels guilty. Then she finds herself in an abusive relationship. And when she comes back to her hometown thinking things will be better the bad luck just keeps coming. Someone is stalking her, but who is this mystery person?
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
How have I not read anything by this amazingly talented author before!! A mistake that I am so glad I have now rectified by reading this outstanding book! What a read this is and one that will have you up until all hours reading it, just like I did. The only thing stopping me reading this in one sitting was my family Christmas celebrations and if this wasn’t the case I could have done it easily. Between us though, there were times I did disappear to sneak a couple of cheeky chapters in ...more
Mary Johnson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

A roller coaster ride with a tale filled with many of the darker side of human behaviour: domestic violence, rape and murder.... And yes, it was a great read! More suspects and victims per square inch it was hard to keep up sometimes but worth the effort. A good read and an author I will watch out for in the future.

Karolyn
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This is Deep Dark Secrets by Keri Beevis. An intriguing thriller with a few twists and turns that possibly started eighteen years ago when Nell got Lizzie Kent to cover her for babysitting. Only
Lizzie got killed that night and they never caught the killer. Nell has blamed herself ever since so has Lizzie’s brother, Sam Kent.

Nell has decided to return though after eighteen years to make a fresh start after her latest relationship has finished and she has inherited her aunts B&B. She remembers
Tracey
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The first half was quite slow but I really liked the characters so carried on reading. Once I was halfway through I couldn't put the book down.

The book kept me guessing right up until the end with lots of twists.

I will definitely be looking out for more books by Keri Beevis.
peggy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG WHAT A BOOK!!!!!
Once I started reading this book there was no way I was putting it down. Hence I turned the last page in the wee hours. A real page turner and a rollercoaster of a crime thriller. This is definitely my type of book. Tension and suspense which kept me glued to my seat. Atmospheric and chilling which really got my heart racing. An abusive ex boyfriend and if that wasn't enough an evil, clever and very devious serial killer. A MUST READ for all readers of this genre. A very
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I read a book by this author so I was excited to read more. I wasn’t disappointed as this was a great read.

The author sucked me right in from the start and kept my attention throughout hence I read it within twenty four hours.

Nell is a very likeable character. Sam on the other hand I didn’t like.

The storyline is tense and unpredictable. From start to finish this was a brilliant read.

I’m looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Emma Ounsworth
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read of this Author and I wasn’t disappointed.
Full of twists, suspicion and edge of your seat scenes, I would recommend to all who love a tense crime story.
The plot is enthralling and fast paced with likeable characters and flowing language.
Will definitely read more from Keri Beevis.
Nicki Southwell
I have been looking forward to this novel, since reading her first two. It certainly didn't disappoint.

The plot is good and well thought out, and the pace swift enough to keep your attention. I liked the characters, good and bad, and her instinct about relationships spot on.

If you want a good book to tuck up with, I recommend this one from Ms Beevis. You will not be disappointed.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased. My thanks to the
Joni Immerman
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keri knocks it out of the park again. This Brit can write great American characters and scenes. Her stories deftly weave between past and present. As she does this the characters are slowly revealed and the plot keeps you guessing until the end. Definitely recommend you read this book. Looking forward to her next one already!
Louise Ann Benjamin
Don’t plan your day.. just read this book. Take a day off from work, sit in the shade with an ice cold beverage, relax. This book will grip you from beginning to end. A definite must read this summer!
Alistair Birch
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had already read Dying to Tell so knew I was in for an easy and enjoyable read. I must say that this delivered. Great plotting and fabulous characters. Multiple story lines interweave together which left me wondering who was guilty of what but at the same time this didn't leave me confused. Can thoroughly recommend both this book and author.
sandy Wyld
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense reading

This is the third Beeve book I have read. It is a slow build with the characters forming their places, the background on Caleb was just enough to make me wary of him and I felt each little bit of suspense , he is a very dangerous character and he kept me awake over 2 nights.. Love the ending it didn't all come in a rush as thrillers often do. The last update was great, how/where are they now type of thing. Loved it.
Rachel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clumsy and cliche dialogue makes this book almost impossible to get through for anyone used to authors like French or Flynn.
Amanda
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read a couple of Keri's books now and those that I have read, I really enjoyed. I read the synopsis for 'Deep Dark Secrets', which was previously released as 'The Darkness Beneath', and it certainly sounded like my kind of read- a dark, twisted, psychological thriller that could mess with your mind as it were. As soon as I started reading I knew that I was going to be in for one hell of a read. I wasn't wrong either because I throughly enjoyed 'Deep Dark Secrets' but more about that in a ...more
Lynn
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Murder, Abuse, and Love. !

Oh wow, where does one start!

It’s not often that I am totally hooked from page one but this one had me.

Brilliant, clever writing that has so many twists and turns it will have you in a spin.

Great characters that you will be loving and hating and will have you shouting at the book like you would if you were watching a movie.

The relationships between the characters are brilliant, and they are something that you would expect from a small community like Purity Island.
A
Livia
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Nell O Connor leaves her violent abusive husband after inheriting her aunts guesthouse on the small Island of Purity..its a choice she feels is her only option..She feels as though she shrinking inside..But going back to a place that left a stain on her soul..after an incident when she was just a teenager..that made her leave Purity in the first place..is just the beginning of her nightmare.For in this small town small- minds place, the only ones that seem to accept her are her brother ...more
Stacy
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nell O’Connor has a past that still continues to haunt her and the only thing worse is the present. Desperate to remove herself from a controlling and abusive relationship, Nell has an opportunity to return to her hometown after inheriting her aunt's rundown guesthouse. Her brother Michael and his boyfriend Newt are thrilled for her to be back in their lives but not everyone on this sleepy island feels the same way. Nell finds herself on the receiving end of threats from a few locals and ...more
Patricia Dixon
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous story.

Deep Dark Secrets
I always know I’m going to enjoy a book when I settle into it straight away because the characters jump out of the page, seem familiar and real, the initial scenes are so well described the author quickly pulls you in.
This was one of those stories.
I was there, on Purity Island, moving into a creaky old house and even though she got off to a cranky start, I knew I’d like Nell, I loved her name and that she had strength, albeit with a backstory yet to tell.
As
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Keri is at her best with this book! I could not put it down. It centres around Nell, who apart from living with survivor guilt because her best friend died while doing what was Nells usual job, babysitting, she has also just escaped an abusive relationship by moving back to her home town after being left her aunts guesthouse there. Enter her best friends brother who blames Nell for his sisters death. After experiencing some scary stuff Nell wonders if her ex has caught up with her ...more
Simon
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the previous two novels by this author and enjoyed them immensely, I wondered if this third offering would give me the same reading pleasure.
It is true to say the book fits a slightly different genre than it's predecessors, and I was intrigued to find out if it would make the grade.

The story centres around Nell, who has returned to Purity Island to live after moving away nearly two decades previously. Almost from the start Nell's life is turned upside down, and with many twists and
Diane Warburton
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is good...really good. I do like a book that keeps you turning the pages. For me it was tension all the way. I like to know what is going on but I didn't because there were very few clues. Poor poor Nell. Escaping for a better life....back to where she seems safe. But it seems like she got out of the frying pan in into the fire. She is a brave lady. The locals of her new life are not very welcoming apart from her brother and friends...she is a jinx, running away from trouble and ...more
Bobbi Wagner
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author, I will be looking for more from her for sure. It is a well developed story that kept me turning pages until the end. I was pulled into the story right from the beginning. The twists and turns had me sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting to see what would happen next. The characters made the story realistic as well as they are engaging and connectable. I highly recommend this book. I didnt regret picking it up and neither will you.
Carol Clayton
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed this book, the pace was fast and easily moved the story line along. Enjoyed the characterizations, you really rooted for Nell. The plot was satisfying and had enough red herrings to make you want to keep reading. There was an old mystery that needed solving, lots of tension built around Nells situation, and a little romance thrown in. Very slick writing, very good suspense, all mean I'll definitely be looking up this author again. Recommended.
Lisa Sell
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great read! It reminded me of the American crime stories set in small towns I used to read.

I'm a Karin Slaughter fan and it reminded me of her Grant County series where people know each other because of small town life, or they think they do. Lots of intrigue, tension, and questions.

Loved the different plots that all wove together in the end. Plotting and characterisation are definitely Keri's strengths.

Don't miss out on this one!
Dennis Smith
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review I wrote for The Darkness Beneath: This is the first book that I have read by Keri Beevis. It won't be the last. From beginning to end I was totally absorbed. There were times I was lost to my surroundings. A great story. Well written. I recommend this book to anyone that loves a good mystery thriller. - I have read all of Keri's books since I wrote this review. Every book has been better than the last and this one was excellent.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Damaged: a heart-stopping psychological thriller
  • Apartment Six
  • A Simple Lie
  • You Are Mine
  • Down to Sleep (Crime after Crime #2)
  • It Was Always You
  • Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • Watch Over Me: A psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist