Start by marking “The Fury (Henry Parker #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fury (Henry Parker #4)

The Fury

(Henry Parker #4)

Am I my brother's keeper?If I'd known I had a brother, I might have been. But he's dead--shot point-blank in a rat-hole apartment, wasted by hunger and heroin. Stephen Gaines, a man with whom I shared nothing...except a father.

For some reason this stranger who shared my blood came to me for help...and I blew him off thinking he was just some junkie. Now I'm forced to
Published October 1st 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fury

Start your review of The Fury (Henry Parker #4)
Torsten
Jan 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
I have never read a crime novel with as many blatant errors as this one. I am wondering how this can make it past proofreading and editors?
The story itself is good and the writing not bad, but it is as if it has been churned out too quickly, without considering the fine details. This is a fatal flaw in a detective novel where the readers will be paying close attention in attempt to solve the mystery as he/she goes along.

Examples:
Stephen Gaines is first described as "disheveled, wearing rags" -
Andy Plonka
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Good series featuring a New York City journalist who can't seem to help getting himself into al kinds of trouble. This time he ends up investigating the death of a half brother he never knew he had.
Sarah Butland
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first book written by Pinter and I didn't need to read 1-3 of the Henry Parker series to understand and enjoy it thoroughly. I rated it 4 stars because I was appalled by the lack of editing - an example includes using "meet" instead of "met". Minor issues and didn't take away from the overall story but still took me a second to stop and read it again to get it. And that's annoying when it's a mainstream author. Not everyone is perfect, I'll likely have a few errors in this review but ...more
Helen
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E-Reaer.

Henry Parker works at New York Gazette, as a reporter. His life changed because he found out he had brother, Stephen Gaines, who was murdered.

Henry took leave of absence to investigate who killed his brother.

Henry & dear friend, Amanda, flew to an aiport, close to Bend, Oregon. He hadn't visited his parents, in many years.

They there for a short time, when the Bend Police officers had warrant to arrested Henry's father, per NYC Police Department.

Amanda is a lawyer, in NY State. She
Robert Beveridge
Jason Pinter, The Fury (Mira, 2009)

The Fury is the fourth novel in Pinter's Henry Parker series. Had I known this, I would probably have not had Vine ship it to me, as I haven't read the first three books in the series. It doesn't help that I also missed in my skim of the product description that the book is published by Mira, and my encounters with Mira-published novels have, to date, been entirely unsatisfactory. This did, however, give me the chance to address two questions that have been
Janet Robel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting plot but wasn't the usual thriller I read. It was just ok for me and maybe would have been better had I read the previous books.
paulette sarelli
Great mystery

Loved this book .It you guessing from the beginning.The main character seems somewhat of a wimp though. Can't wait to see what happens in the w book.
Christopher Lawson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brisk, intense, gripping, and suspenseful read filled with great twists and turns. Jason Pinter does it again!
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amazon-vine, 2010
2 1/2 stars

The is the 4th Henry Parker book. This is the first one that I have read. I don't feel that I missed out on the story in this book without having read the prior books, but they were mentioned quite a bit and I may have missed out on some of the relationships that that Henry has with other characters.

In this book, Henry finds out that he has a brother, but only after his brother is murdered. Then his father is accused of the crime. Henry isn't close to his father, but he believes in
Sandie
Oct 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Secrets from the past collide with the present in the continuing saga of journalist Henry Parker when a seemingly indigent and strung-out addict approaches him outside his office building desperate to speak to him. The man is later found murdered and police discover that he is Parker’s half-brother, Stephen Gaines.

Haunted by painful memories of his estranged, abusive father and cowered mother, he nevertheless decides to journey from New York to his childhood home in Bend, Oregon seeking answers
Cheryl
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reporter Henry Parker is back. This time he may have found himself in a way over his head.

Henry was leaving the office, when he was approached by a drug junkie. The man tells Henry…” The city’s gonna burn.” Henry may have given the guy a chance if he hadn’t been a junkie. That evening, Henry receives a phone call from the authorities. They want Henry to come down and identify a body. It is the same man who Henry ran into earlier today. His name is Stephen Gaines. Supposedly Mr. Gaines is Henry’
Sheila Beaumont
In these days of print journalism's decline, we are seeing quite a number of mysteries featuring investigative reporters, including Jason Pinter's compelling Henry Parker series. "The Fury" asks the question "Am I my brother's keeper?" Our hero, a New York Gazette reporter, confronted by a homeless-looking junkie who begs for his help, brushes him aside, and later finds out that this stranger, identified as his half brother, has been murdered.

To investigate the slaying, Henry, along with his
Jaime
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn’t realize this wasn’t the first in the Henry Parker series until after I started reading it, which is unfortunate since I actually *do* have the first book sitting in my TBR pile. Thankfully, reading the previous books is not crucial in your enjoyment of this book — you just miss out on some character development, though several previous events are alluded to. Henry’s not the easiest guy to like, but I found that I warmed up to him. He’s had an unhappy family life, so when a murder victim ...more
Shannon
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great Henry Parker adventure.

This story follows the aftermath of the tragic life of Henry's half-brother--a brother he didn't know existed. We get to travel to Bend, Oregon and there meet Henry's dysfunctional mother and father. After a brief stopover, it's back to NYC where Henry's investigative nose digs deep into his brother's past causing (in true Henry form) quite a bit of trouble for both him and Amanda.

Pinter does a great job compelling the reader to turn pages (as witnessed by
Kercelia
Sep 26, 2009 rated it liked it
The Fury is a moderately entertaining read if you like mysteries and thrillers. The story centers around Henry Parker, an up-and-coming newspaper reporterdiscovers too late that he has a half-brother. He soon must try to solve the mystery of who murdered his brother. His girlfriend, Amanda features prominently in the story, and much is revealed about the isolation that exists between he and his parents(whom he has not seen for a decade). Henry has several close calls during his adventure. I did ...more
Mike
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Henry Parker (reporter) series. I like the Henry Parker character alot and the suspenseful pace of the book was good. I now move onto THE HUNTERS which is an ebook novella that bridges THE FURY with the newest release THE DARKNESS. I do recommend that you read the series in order which starts with THE MARK.
Julie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book. I like Henry and Amanda's relationship. I was also intrigued by Henry's relationship (or lack thereof) with his family. Good cliffhanger. Looking forward to plunging right into The Darkness and reading more about Jack O'Donnell. (I was disappointed in the numerous spelling and grammatical errors.)
Bill
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the earlier entries in the Henry Parker series. The plot is strong with journeyman writing, but Pinter tends to turn to melodrama throughout. I found it tiring after a while. But I stuck with the story and found it a worthwhile read.
Jennifer Brooks
21/3/17 - Quick paced, easy read, journalist based mystery. Ending slightly disappointing, but left open for next book.

10/9/17 - read opening chapter, seemed random and slow. nothing pithy to grab me.
Clay
Jul 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Not a bad read if you're looking for a quick, cheap thrill. A decent mystery with a decent plot. Holds your attention, but a tad predicitable and plays into stereotypes a bit too much. The characters seem a bit stock if you will.

Would be good for a day at the beach.
Pauline
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book but always feel that something is lacking. No idea what and wish I could write a book.
Kelly Barhorst
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pinter delivers with the Henry Parker series. Interesting, page turner and makes you excited to read the next book. I enjoyed this book.
Tammy
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this book was pretty good, maybe could have been a little more exciting, but overall pretty good.
Caity
Oct 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
More of the same repetitive drivel about Henry Parker and his perfect-but-damaged girlfriend, Amanda.

I couldn't even finish it.
Sarah Langstaff
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Accidentally read the fifth book before this one. Still an excellent read.
Carol
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Just found it on my bookshelf at home. Hadn't been to the library for a while, so didn't have anything else to read.
debra klingler
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Like the way the author writes. Not the same old mystery. Held my interest all through the book. Easy to read and follow
Diane Fanning
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable series from Jason Pinter. Henry Parker is a very empathetic protagonist even though he can be a bit of a bonehead with personal relationships at times.
David
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Another good read I the Henry Parker series.

• Fatal Justice (Jack Lamburt, #1)
  • Dark Waters (Deborah Jones Crime Thriller, #2)
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • Bad to the Bone (Casey Jones Mysteries #4)
  • Exquisite Justice (Marc Kadella Legal Mystery #9)
  • Headwaters: Book One of the Three Hares Trilogy
  • The Girl in the Sand (Violet Darger #3)
  • Exit Strategy (Katerina Carter Fraud #1)
  • Dead to Her
  • Before He Stalks (Mackenzie White Mysteries #13)
  • Requiem (American Ghost #3)
  • Corrupt Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 3)
  • Hollywood Outlaw (Hollywood Alphabet, #15)
  • Trophies (Emma Kane / Jacob Thorne Book 2)
  • Before He Envies (Mackenzie White Mysteries #12)
  • Romeo's Rules (Mike Romeo #1)
  • Black Harvest (Noah Wolf #13)
  • Endgame (Omega #15)
Jason Pinter is the bestselling author of HIDE AWAY, the first Rachel Marin novel, as well as six other novels: the acclaimed Henry Parker series (The Mark, The Guilty, The Stolen, The Fury, and The Darkness), the stand-alone thriller The Castle, as well as the middle-grade adventure novel Zeke Bartholomew: SuperSpy, and the children’s book Miracle. His books have over one million copies in print ...more

Henry Parker (6 books)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker #1)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker #2)
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker #3)
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker #5)
  • The Invited (Henry Parker #6)