Start by marking “Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)

Dead Meat: Day 1

(Dead Meat #1)

The dead have awakened.
Driven by insatiable hunger.
In eternal search of fresh meat.
The infection spreads like the plague.
Nothing stands between the undead and humanity.

Is it too late to save the world from disaster?

In this new apocalyptic zombie series, we follow events day for day as the world slowly decends into mayhem as the zombies take over.

Day 1: How it all began

Th
Kindle Edition, 1st, 187 pages
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dead Meat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Meat

Start your review of Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)
Latasha
I received the book from the author in exchange for a review. Thank you Nick.

Nick Clausen is very talented. His stories pull you in, take hold and don't let go. They are well written and intense. This book throws you in at ground zero of the zombie outbreak. However, the characters are well aware of what's happening, what to do and how to stop it. They try but I guess we'll have to read book 2 to see if it worked.
Sherry Fundin
It’s hot as Hades, as the kids find themselves in the suffocating basement, dodging a zombie that salivates at the thought of taking a bite out of them…

Dead Meat by Nick Clausen gets creepy bad very early and time is of the essence.

OMG! Want bloody, gory, gruesome, sad, tragic, heroic and…?

Read about a day in the life of Dan, a teenager that was only delivering newpapers on a freakishly hot day when all hell broke loose in his world. I love this character!

I am drooling over the thought of readin
Regitze
Review copy from the publisher, Facet.
Reviewed on my blog Bookish Love Affair.

How much can happen in one day? I mean, how badly could thing get out of hand?
Very. Really very much. And as such, we see the beginning of an assumed zombie-apocaplypse through the eyes of two boys in their late teens and how in just one day everything changes.

It's fast-paced, kinda disgusting and spooky. I wonder what happens on day two.
Tabitha
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is also feature on Behind the Pages: Dead Meat

It started off as a normal day delivering papers, but it quickly turned into a nightmare. Thomas and his friends are trapped in a basement, with a hungry zombie on the other side of the only way out. Jennie is injured, and pretty soon they might have a zombie on the inside as well. With no weapons and no way to call for help, they’re running out of time. How did it come to this?

Dead Meat drops you straight into the action. Tensions are ru
Jackie's Bookbytes
***I was provided with a free copy by the author in exchange for a review.
Dead Meat is about three children who get stuck in the basement of a house that is overrun by zombies.
The prospect of survival is very grim for Thomas, Dan and Jennie but if there is any hope to stay alive,
they need to make sure all of the zombies are dead.
When Thomas, Dan and his sister Jennie arrive at the end of their paper route, the furthest thing on their minds was getting eaten by zombies. The weather was hot that d
Daniell Marsh
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read some spooky stories as it is the month of October and I really don’t usually read them. I have to say the reason is that I have too vivid of an imagination so it sticks with me. This year I wanted to do something different and try again. I am not sure if this was a good decision after reading this story. So I read the description and thought it sounded interesting. Maybe one that wouldn’t be too creepy even if it did contain zombies. Can you hear me laughing at myself. Ya it was ...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me why I love the zombie genre so much. This one is a different take because it's the very beginning, the origin story if you will. I got an ARC copy, but it didn't effect my opinion whatsoever. I found myself tearing through this book to see what happened.

Like many of these types of books, the main characters made some really stupid decisions. I give them latitude because they're young and in a stressful situation. There are some flaws and I found one ty
Daisy Sauceda
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the suspense of the story. The characters were great. You have a mix of emotions from each of the characters. For me, this was a quick read and I devoured it.

The story just jumps right in and follows Thomas, Jennie and Dan and then the suspense builds real quick. You learn that they are all kids who have to make quick decisions. At one point you are trying to figure out what happen to start this chain of events. It's not your typical zombie book and th
Netanella
"Dead Meat" is a newish zombie series that relates a zombie outbreak in Denmark, one day at a time. Yes, it's been before, but Nick Clausen's books are always fun to read, with interesting characters and a unique voice. I feel as if I've read a million zombie stories by American authors, and British authors, so getting more of an international feel is always fun.

Here, we have young Danish teenagers encountering a Haitian voodoo zombie on a newspaper delivery run. The characters are relatable, th
ilse
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice one!

Very Nice story, great hidden treasure. Going to download the Second book. Thanks for writing this, I really enyojed it!
LaToya
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I subscribed at the end to get day zero to see how it all happened. I can't wait to read the rest. Finally an action packed zombie series without out the extra narrative. You'll be sorry if you don't read this series.

Because it was the best book I've read in ages!!! I'm just sorry I didn't find it sooner. You won't regret reading this. I promise.
Heather Gadd
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I’ll be honest, I was a bit hesitant going into this book, I don’t usually handpick a book that I believe will have a lot of gore, and choosing to read a zombie book is an almost absolute guarantee that there is going to be a significant amount of blood and guts. This assumption was correct, but Nick’s writing had me hooked from the first page, so I was here for the show and enjoyed every word.

Do not pick up this book thinking it will be a short read, because the minute you finish this novella,
Kaili (Entertainingly Nerdy)
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novellas
I actually wasn't sure how I'd feel about this book. I love horror but I didn't know if I'd like a book where the entire story takes place in one day. But I actually ended up enjoying it. The book is a pretty quick read and I was able to finish it in a couple of hours. It's fast paced and keeps you interested! ...more
Anjedah / bookriot_awesomeyou
Dead meat is one of the best pandemic read i read this year. Its mix of evil dead and resident evil and these are my favouraite movie .so you could imagine the hype ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

i finshed it in 2 hour because its quite short read and would love read more. Its little different of your usual zombie story.

Here zombie occur because someone dont want to forget there loved one so they did voddoo magic which can make dead alive but without any emotions and its contagious.

Yup things got crazy when three fri
benjamin k six
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short but good

Well I liked it but it was super short that's not a bad thing at all I like alot of gore so I hope the others have more but I'll still like tsem!
Seraphia
Dead Meat: Day 1 is a horror thriller by Nick Clausen that promises readers a trip down “scary lane.” This story takes place in Denmark with three teenagers out on a regular day not expecting the horrors that they are about to face as one simply goes into an old woman’s house to do a simple job – deliver a newspaper. Things take a horrific turn with a gruesome discovery that, due to a cruel twist of fate, has far-reaching consequences.
Being an avid fan and lover of horror movies and always look
JenniferJ
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, zombie
If you're looking for a quick and fun zombie read this October you can't go wrong with Dead Meat: Day 1 from Nick Clausen!

As the story opens we're already in full action mode and it doesn't slow down at all! We have 3 teens who started out on a rather normal day that went south in no time. For those who aren't as zombie savvy as I'd like to think I am this could be a scary eye opener for you (lock your doors and keep your teddy bears near) but for me it was like watching one of those fun zombie
Amanda
This was so good and entertaining. It's fast paced and pulls you in right away. I was kept on the edge of my seat with my heart racing. One of my biggest issues with zombie stories is the believably, this was told in a way that made it feel real and possible.

I really liked the characters. There's some angst among these three teens who find themselves in this terrifying survival situation. I loved that we were thrown in at day one and that the characters weren't clueless. I can't wait for the ne
Katharina
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
In Dead Meat three friends have to escape the house of an old woman that turned into a zombie. Being trapped in the cellar it's not easy to get around zombie granny. Then worst case happens: one of them turns as well. Will the other two escape or will all of them have the same fate?

Dead Meat isn't your usual zombie apocalypse story, but it's as suspenseful as them. I really like how Nick Clausen can make you feel like you're also there, even though it's such a short read! So I can recommend the
Margaux Espinosa
Damn! That was suspenseful as hell. I have a serious obsession with zombies so of course this was right up my ally. I loved how short and full of complications and suspense this read was. Nick Clausen always does a great job making his horror stories feel like they’re real. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what they were going to do next what else could possibly go wrong. Then the cliffhanger, I need to know what happens on day two now!
Sue Wallace
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dead Meat: Day 1 by Nick Clausen.
A fantastic read with some great characters. Loved Thomas and Dan. Looking forward to the next book. Highly recommended.
Iseult Murphy
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three teenage friends encounter zombies in an isolated country house while on a paper route. Zombies may be past their freshest, but I love them, and Nick Clausen does them justice with a taut, suspenseful tale. I liked the characters, found the situation realistic and enjoyed the level of gore.
If this is day 1, I can’t wait to read day 2!
Emilie Hrabak
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories that take place over one day because it shows you just how much can go wrong quickly over the course of one day.
I loved the unexpected twist and this was an interesting take on a zombie origin story. I’m excited to see what unfurls in the next book in the series!
Kitty
Read: October 25, 2020
Rating: 2 Stars

I've read a lot of great zombie books and I have read a lot of bad zombie books.

This one, in terms of story, falls somewhat in the middle, but a little bit more towards bad imo.

There are some things that don't make sense, and the fact that it's very, very short doesn't help much.

Then, the ending that's a big let down and a cliffhanger.

My main problem with this installment lies there, that it is in fact an installment and not a full book, though it seems
Arely Ayala
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am really getting into this series! I read the prequel Day 0 and it has hooked me in. The books are not long but they are have great characters that are well written and the plot is flowing very well. From what I am seeing I am definitely going to read the rest of the series. The conversations and the characters are given great detail but nothing is over exaggerated. Highly recommend, it mostly deals with young characters, teens and young adults but it is very intriguing.
Robin Perryman
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Day 1

This is my first book by this author. I enjoyed reading Day 1. It starts off different than other books I've read in this genre. It was well written, I didn't notice any errors. The characters in the basement seemed relatable but I'm not sure about the residents and how they start the apocalypse so I'm gonna stick around and see. It looks like it's going to be a good story.
Kay
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and definitely not sweet!

Dead Meat:Day 1 is a zombie story with a difference. It’s short but full of adrenaline rushes and moments of extreme fear. You get to experience what happens when a person is contaminated. And you see ground zero and how it all began. Absolutely awesome reading!
Mark Carnelley
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unique take on a well read genre.

A great short and fast-paced zombie read that doesn’t let up on the action. For me, this was a unique way for the “Z” virus to start which made for an interesting tale that didn’t disappoint for the genre. Definite five ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars for an enjoyable read. Looking forward to continuing this series.
Scarolet Ellis
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dead Meat: Day 1 by Nick Clausen is a great story to read. This is a great start to a brand new series that I have enjoyed reading very much. I recommend this story to everyone.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book
Asiaman
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Dead meat was a prequel and really did not give me enough info to decide what the full book would be like. Instead of the normal zombie virus attack this book uses voodo to cause the zombie to rise from the dead. Just have to wait to see what the full book is like.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The First 30 Days: A Zombie Apocalypse Novel
  • Zombies on The Block
  • Night Zero
  • A Small World (Zombies! #1)
  • After Z
  • Nurse Alissa vs. the Zombies (Nurse Alissa vs. the Zombies #1)
  • Omnicide
  • Unprepared (The Scourge #1)
  • Zombies on The Block: There Goes The Neighborhood
  • Day Of Awakening 1: The Beginning
  • Dead South (Dead South #1)
  • The Dead Next Door
  • Zombies on The Block: Hell on The Sac
  • Escape (Nurse Alissa vs. the Zombies #2)
  • Against the Current (Zombies! #2)
  • Red Eye: Season One, Episode Two (Red Eye #2)
  • The Good, The Bad, And The Undead (The Wild Wild Midwest #1)
  • When the Dead Rise: The Outbreak
I write chilling horror and apocalyptic tales so that I don't need to work a real job. I grew up reading Stephen King and still haven't fully recovered. My books have been published in four different languages, and I'm currently working on ending the world in my zombie series Dead Meat.

I was born in a small country far, far away where people eat a lot of rye bread and are generally suspicious of s

Dead Meat (5 books)
  • Dead Meat: Day 0 (Dead Meat, #0)
  • Dead Meat: Day 2 (Dead Meat, #2)
  • Dead Meat: Day 3 (Dead Meat, #3)
  • Dead Meat: Day 4 (Dead Meat, #4)