Start by marking “Basketball (or Something Like It)” as Want to Read:
Basketball (or Something Like It)

Basketball (or Something Like It)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Basketball clinics, a revolving door of coaches, incensed parents, and the importance of the right sneakers—is that what the game is about? Told from the perspective of four unlikely friends, Nora Raleigh Baskin's poignant novel focuses on the action, drama, and fun of playing ball and explores what it takes to be a winner of the game—both on the court and off.
Published January 30th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Basketball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basketball

Ms. Yingling
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The North Bridge middle school basketball team is off to a rocky start even before try outs. Tensions are running high, and coaches are hard to keep, but that doesn't stop four players who are involved in the team for various reasons to care deeply about the process. Anabel doesn't even play, but her brother does. Personally, Anabel believes that she would be even better than her brother, but their father only cares about Michael's involvement in the sport. Nathan's parents really want him to pl ...more
Lesley
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been not only reading recently-published novels and ARCs but have begun reading novels that I somehow missed, even with an extensive middle-school classroom library.
According to a 2017 CNN report, in response to a Facebook post by Geno Auriemma, coach of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team, where Auriemma said that recruiting "enthusiastic kids is harder than it's ever been," plenty of people spoke about how parents are causing a lot of the problems in the game. "Parents
Selina Ly
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really good books for everyone who like basketball. This book is about the North Bridge middle school basketball. The book show us how the team win. The team is including the basketball players with various of circumstances. They have changed alot after the tournament.
sade eunice
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I come to a realization that every book I read I put my self into it. Which makes it more interesting. I currently play basketball at a high school which makes it easier for me to connect.
Jalen
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do you really like basketball?Well if you do,then you should read the book "Basketball(or something like it).So if you love basketball then I recommend you this book.The genre of this book is realistic fiction.My opinion of this book is that it is a fantastic book because since I like basketball a lot, it is very interesting and it gives a lot of good details about basketball.

The setting of my book takes place at a lot of different kids houses because there on the basketball team and at basket
Nate Bruns
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book a 4 star for many reasons. One reason why I gave it a 4 star is because the book was interesting through the whole book. Also, this book was about basketball and I love to play basketball,so I liked the plot of it about basketball. What happened is there are all these different guys that don't want to play basketball but there parents make them play in the spring league for the 6th grade team. Next, the team goes through many coaches and they finally find the perfect coach to c ...more
Jana
This book looks at middle school basketball from the perspective of 4 different kids. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I got hooked into it almost right away. The writing style is very accessible, even for someone with little knowledge or experience with middle school sports. I even learned a few things about the sport. That's a little bit of coarse language in the book, but I believe that mature 5th graders would be able to handle it. I know several of my students that will likely enjoy this ...more
Jose Espinoza
vf buhfevu vh vhga uhvbruygvbhrvbijsjjfjdhbvubviuhw bvjhe fd nojhso0iwqabcjhd bvikjvwbjwabviualkvfbfhyuhwedbhfcbjvfuawbeiujfbvnsijrbvijfesbvijijrnbiujrubgiunijernijbfdnbvsitrsjnhiubgfdsnbjfjgfjjffnbjsnbjesnbjfrsnbueajnfbujafednbijgfsnbijgnbnfkjfkjfrnbbsnbusfrnbviujfsnbvjifdsnvijedanvijfnjvnjjdjnvijrngujerng
Lisa
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Having been around brothers who played basketball, an ex-husband who coached basketball, and now children who play basketball, I could really relate to this story. It made me think about the pressure we put on children to be "the best" when all they really want is to have fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Teresa
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great exploration of how parents can ruin kid's enjoyment of an activity--with solid basketball action. Told through various POV's--each character has his or her own story. Love this author in general.

I am seriously an open book. I've been writing semi-autiobiographical fiction since I was in 6th grade (1972) then, in 2001, Little, Brown published my first middle grade novel, about my life in 6th grade! titled "What Every Girl (except me) Knows." Sixteen years and thirteen books later, that still, pretty much sums things up.
More about Nora Raleigh Baskin...