Start by marking “Ever Winter” as Want to Read:
Ever Winter

Ever Winter

In the aftermath of a devastating apocalypse, Earth has become a desolate ice-world, in the grip of perpetual winter.

Henry and his family have managed to survive on the tundra of what was once a vast ocean, far from the savage remnants of humanity.

When the family are discovered, their peaceful existence is shattered and their lives are changed forever. Henry’s siblings
Published January 9th 2020 by Monolith Books

To ask other readers questions about Ever Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever Winter

Start your review of Ever Winter
TS Chan
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the audiobook from the publisher, Monolith Books, in exchange for an honest review.

Ever Winter is a great revenge story that starts slow but engages with the gritty realism of its wintry post-apocalyptic dystopian setting.

I rarely pick up post-apocalyptic dystopian as my sub-genre of choice. In this case, I've to admit the narrator being Dan Stevens made a whole lot of difference. Fortunately, I was not disappointed in the least, both in the performance and quality of the st
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, audiobook
Audiobook performed by Dan Stevens. He was awesome. Every character was believable and I didn’t struggle with any part of it.
This reminded me of Water World in the sense that no one could be trusted. The crazy people were in charge and it was dire situations. Survival was everyone’s goal.
I thought it was well done and I loved the bonus chapters offered at the end. A great Sci-fi book. I highly recommend this and I hope there’s a book two.
Thanks Podium Audio via Netgalley for this audiobook. I
Angel White
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I usually struggle with audiobooks but this narrator is amazing. Add to that an amazing and well written story and it's a win-win.

I absolutely love Henry ... well all the characters really 🤣 ... even the baduns. I just can't put into better words how creative and imaginative this is. This is a definite recommend for those who want a great apocalyptic read/listen.
Laura Hughes
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monolith-books
A frozen earth, a post-apocalyptic landscape, and a dash of revenge - if that sounds like your cup of tea then chances are you'll love Ever Winter.

Hackshaw's debut is a tale of primitive survivalism against a ruined backdrop of lost technology, and of the importance of maintaining one's humanity even when your life - and the world itself - lies in ruins around you.
Gary Warner
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grabs you from the first page and never lets up. As a first novel this is an author to look out for in the future.
Matthew Goodwin
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Everything a post-apocalyptic story should be: heartless and vicious characters hewn from the harsh surroundings, and a protagonist who suffers physically (oh, does he suffer!) and psychologically, only to learn how to survive and grow to mythological proportions in this ravaged land.

At its heart is a story of family and belonging, topped with a revenge fantasy icing. And it is brutally beautiful.

The audio narration is second to none. Take that to the bank.
Wyatt Smith
BarbaraJean Henry
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You made me cry

I’ve never ever cried when I finished a Book in my Life . I’m an avid reader , 75 yrs , you did this to me . Peter Hackshaw . I had LOL moments as well . ! I felt like I was living along with the “ Orfins” they broke my heart Fagins bunch were a load of Amateurs compared to those little loves ! Seriously This book has “ Blockbuster Movie written all over it . Also when you creat EVIL - it’s bone chilling and and tearing the marrow out of every bone in your body . . I’m not givin
Terry Tyler
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
A hundred or so years after the big freeze fell over the earth, Henry and his family live on the now frozen Atlantic ocean. They escaped from a community called the Favela (which I assumed to be in Brazil), and now live completely alone, seeing no one else. Their trouble begins when, out hunting one day, Henry and his father find a man who has recently died in the snow.

This tale of survival under brutal circumstances had me totally absorbed at first, and I enjoyed the parts when Henry and his fa
Melanna
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5.
If I had read this book in hard copy I would have given it 4 stars. But it gets the extra half star just because of Dan Steven’s audiobook narration. Now, we all know I adore his acting, but his audiobooks are
My favourite because of how he performs each character and this book is no exception. Of course a good actor needs good characters to perform and this book had that for me.
Dystopian post apocalyptic is not my typical genre (I don’t even know if I’ve labelled it correct
Pamela
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever Winter tells the story of the fate of one family living through the post apocalyptic frozen Earth.
Father and Mother chose to live apart from survivors with their six children, knowing what is left of the world is a cruel place.
An intense hardship life is, but the family has yet to realize it's most harrowing experience; when their world is torn apart, not only survival, but revenge becomes the focal point of existing.
A dark story of Earth's afterlife, with a small glimmer of light that hum
Jovana
Jan 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 25%

I tried to read this, I really did, but it was just so boring. Nothing was happening. And I couldn't force myself to continue.

Full review to come.
Diana Harrison
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excelente!

A good original story. The author has built a totally new world that exists on Earth in the future. The people have no idea why they live on an ice world and have scant idea about the past. They mention ‘Great, great, greats’ in reference to ancestors and the language is English with a smattering of Spanish! This would make a fabulous series like Game of Thrones. Off to buy next book and hopefully there will be more to read.
Jesse
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Unique combination of horror and sci-fi, with shades of Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, and even Charles Dickens. Would recommend!
Lee
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had me gripped from start to finish. Reminded me of a sort of post apocalyptic story of the likes of Book of Eli or Mad Max on ice. Could easily see this being made into a film or mini series. Can't wait to read more from this new writer. ...more
Lee
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Landry
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal with memorable characters and words that will haunt your nightmares. My first impression was Mad Max meets Snowpiercer. I would also recommend this to Fallout fans. The first 50 or so pages are a slow burn but like a five course meal it gets better as if the characters are just simmering until things go wrong. This is prime rib. Probably not a novel for vegans. The use of slang takes some getting use to but after 100 pages none of it feels strange or out of place and you may find yourself ...more
Pam Shelton-Anderson
This book had an interesting premise, taking place generations after a catastrophic ice age occurs. It also had a very uneven feel to it due to the writing. There was very little action for the first part of the book and the introduction to the characters seemed to take a long time. There was sudden action and then another long lag as Henry prepared. The action at the end seemed almost anti-climatic as if the author was not certain how he wanted the book to end. The best interaction was with Hep ...more
Alex Knight
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hackshaw pains a gloomy picture of a post-apocalyptic future, but it's brought to life by the color and personalities of his wide ranging cast of characters. I loved the unique setting and dedication to making the cultures that have emerged distinct. Some parts were a bit dark for me, but I'm a big sissy when it comes to that stuff so you can bet it'd be fine for most people. All in all, this is an adventurous romp of a thriller, full with everything you'd want from the genre: driven heroes, dev ...more
samriepe
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Completely unexpected 'wow' read!!!

When I chose this book to read, I didn't know at the time what a gem it would be! A whole other world opens up in a delightfully surprising way.
paul strutt
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Enjoyed it immensely, gripping from beginning to end. I hope to see more from this author. I’m definitely going to recommend it to friends.
Blood Rose Books
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his debut novel Peter Hackshaw takes readers to a world where the latest Ice age has taken over the Earth:

Earth has become a desolate place of snow and ice; only those with the strongest will be them human or animal will survive. Henry and his family have been able to survive on the tundra by themselves, never interacting with other people. That changes when a stranger enters their home, a predator who is only looking to take. This starts a new journey for Henry and his family as they have on
Elaine Packer
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
The book is set in a dystopian, frozen world. A mass global climate event approximately 100 years ago is responsible for turning the world into a mass of ice, freezing the Atlantic Ocean wholly (referred to as ‘Lantic’ in the novel). The story centres around the survival of a young adolescent, Henry, who seeks to avenge the murders of several family members.

The story is gripping from the first scene where Henry and his father discover a dead body in the ice. They harvest the body for food (‘mea
Lauren
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
Mad Max on Ice. I mean, that's essentially what it is, in the best way possible. It takes place in a world of "ever winter," a few generations after an instantaneous freeze wiped out the majority of humanity, leaving the scrappy few to survive. Henry and his family (parents and numerous younger siblings) have found a way to fend for themselves, building their own homestead out in the middle of the ice, away from the strange quasi-society of the "favela" nearby. One day, their peace and isolation ...more
Raine McLeod
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Anyone who knows me knows I love me some post-apocalyptica.

This one is decades after the world ends and everything is frozen and cold. I don't usually love the way many authors writing speculative fiction use language (i.e. making up weird words to emulate swears, etc.) but the language here was a beautiful and seemingly organic mix of a bunch of different languages that felt completely authentic. Especially considering how language does change and grow.

The characters were great; I got big The
Jasmine
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
 S U M M A R Y
The earth is an ice covered, almost barren wasteland in this post-apocalyptic tale. In the time of the great-greats, some cataclysm happened that froze almost everything. Henry has only ever seen his family until one day, while hunting, he and his father find the frozen, gunshot body of another man. This starts the beginning of a long and blood-soaked tale of murder, revenge, and a quest for family.

W A R N I N G S

Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, audiobook
Source: NetGalley/ Podium Audio

My Thoughts:

The Post Apocalypse Thriller, EVER WINTER, narration by Dan Stevens, is the first book that I have read by Peter Hackshaw, and I look forward to reading more of his works.

One of my favorite books to read are survival stories, so it’s not surprising that I thoroughly enjoyed reading EVER WINTER, a tale filled with love, loss, courage, strength, revenge, and a willingness to survive against overwhelming odds, be it the elements or the worst of humanity.

A
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
10/10: There is no comparison...This is the Mona Lisa of the fictional world!

Meat is meat.

I cannot adequately express how much I enjoyed this book. It was gritty and real, even if fiction. But what made it for me wasn't just the well-written world which totally absorbed me, but the characters and how they made me feel.

Oh, Martin!

There were parts of the book that reminded me of Hugh Howie's "Sand." And parts that were completely unique. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

"May you not die. But
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, netgalley
Wow.
This is quite an impressive debut novel. Ever Winter is a sci-fi/horror survival tale set in a harsh post-apocalyptic future. There' is an abundance of action, scares, and gross-out moments to hold your attention but the underlying themes of family, tragedy, loss, friendship, and hope will keep you invested in the characters.

I loved the unique dialogue choices and the author's linguistic inventiveness reminded me of Anthony Burgess.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this audiobook. Dan Stevens' euphoniou
Ashley
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love just about love anything post apocalyptic. I was really excited when I saw the premise on this book.

Then I was able to get an advance copy of the audio book which made me even more excited.

I really loved this take on the way Hacksaw combined the harsh primitive post apocalyptic life and it still ran up against technology from the previous world.

It did take me a while to feel attached to any of the characters but I also think that it helped that detached feeling about the harsh world they

• Watchmen
  • The Origin of Species
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Holiday
  • The Living: A Post Apocalyptic Survival Thriller (The Immune Book 5)
  • Sons of War (The Sons of War #1)
  • Flight 3430
  • Seven Days: A Post-Apocalyptic Novel
  • Fight For Everything (At Any Cost Book 2)
  • Thief River Falls
  • Space Between Us
  • Rockfall (Tertiary Effects Book 1)
  • The Sanders Saga (Fire from the Sky #1)
  • Storm Warning (Tertiary Effects Book 2)
  • Nash Cline: A Western
  • End of Summer (Seasons of Man #1)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Victims (Alex Delaware, #27)
Peter Hackshaw is a father of three children, two guitars and one book - post-apocalyptic literary fiction novel, #1 Amazon best-seller - Ever Winter, now available as an audiobook performed by Dan Stevens (Marvel's Legion, Beauty and the Beast, The Guest, Downton Abbey).

Peter hails from Essex in England and was brought up in the 1980s on a diet of Findus Crispy Pancakes and 8-bit games.
He began w