Start by marking “Voyagers: The Third Ghost” as Want to Read:
Voyagers: The Third Ghost

Voyagers: The Third Ghost

Journey into the past…

Will the third ghost be found before fires take more lives? Can everyone be warned before Pompeii is buried again? What happens if a blizzard traps a family in East Germany? Will the Firebird help Soviet sisters outwit evil during WWII? And sneaking off to see the first aeroplane – what could go wrong?

Ten authors explore the past, sending their young
Published May 5th 2020 by Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C.

To ask other readers questions about Voyagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyagers

Start your review of Voyagers: The Third Ghost
Beverly McClure
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VOYAGERS
THE THIRD GHOST

This Anthology has some spooky stories so you might want to read them with the lights on. The authors did a beautiful job with their individual work. You’ll meet some very interesting characters, especially if you like ghosts.

THE THIRD GHOST
By Yvonne Ventresca

In the first story, THE THIRD GHOST, we meet Lewis who is worried as he gets ready to sneak out in the middle of the night and leave his not quite thirteen-year-old sister alone, since their mom works the late shift
C. McKenzie
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The amazing thing about themed anthologies is that, while there's a single theme, the stories are incredibly varied. In the case of Voyagers: The Third Ghost, not only are the stories varied, but each is well-crafted and engaging. Among the ten included, there are ghosts, dangerous boarder crossings, brave counter-revolutionaries of WWII, some tragic history of early Caribbean days, and U. S. barnstorming days of the twenties. All take the reader on a short, but rewarding journey.

Pages For Thoughts
This book is an interesting concept because not only does it introduce 10 emerging authors in a skillful publicity angle, but contains unique stories that redefine traditional historical fiction by including magical elements from time travel to talking trees. Voyagers was super fun to read and I hope that you read it, too when this book is released next month!

1. The Third Ghost by Yvonne Ventresca
This story was suspenseful and epic! I loved the twist at the end and the careful foreshadowing. Now
Erin Kahn
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What do slave ships, ghosts, time travel, Pompeii, WWII, aeroplanes, and the Iron Curtain have in common?

They all appear in this absolutely fantastic collection of short stories by the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

"Voyagers" is an appropriate title for this collection, since most of the stories involve a journey of some kind. A journey across the sea. A journey across the border. A journey back in time. A journey to the afterlife.

But they're not just physical journeys. These are journeys aw
Bish Denham
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I might be a bit prejudice as I am one of the contributing authors. That said, until I received my copy of the anthology I had not read any of the other stories and had no idea what to expect. What a delight to have my story included in this diverse and unique group. There's bound to be something for everyone. My personal favorite is Return to Cahokia. The writing and storytelling float and move with the grace of the gods who walk among the clouds.

Here's my short take on each story.

The Third Gho
Sherry Ellis
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Voyagers, The Third Ghost is a collection of short, historical fiction pieces written by ten different authors. These pieces were entries in a contest sponsored by the Insecure Writers Support Group and were selected by a panel of agents, authors, and editors.

Each story is unique in its own way. Some are somber like The Blind Ship which recounts a harrowing journey of slaves across the ocean. Some have great twists like the Third Ghost. And others are humourous like The Ghosts of Pompeii. Many c
Rebecca
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MG through adult readers
Short stories are not one of my automatic choices to read, but I am so so glad that I bought this anthology after hearing some friends mention the title. It was fun to read the works of some new (to me) authors and enjoy their imaginative stories. This paperback anthology has ten stories, and my two favorites were "The Orchard" by Beth Anderson Schuck and "The Third Ghost' by Yvonne Ventresca. Anderson Schuck's story could lead to some interesting discussions with middle grade readers about time ...more
Bobbi Miller
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Yvonne Ventrusca’s writing. Her YA books are among my favorites: PANDEMIC (published in 2014, is an eerie foreshadowing of current times) and BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES (published in 2016, is a perfect paranormal read for a pandemic). As a contributor to the new anthology, VOYAGERS: THE THIRD GHOST (Dancing Lemur Press, LLC), Yvonne continues exploring the fantastical with her suspenseful short story, The Third Ghost. Lewis is the ever intrepid thirteen-year-old. He sneaks out at midnight ...more
Jaymie
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
[I received an electronic review copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

This is a collection of short stories ranging from fantasy (ghosts) to science fiction (time travel) to history (slave ship). I think this would be a great collection for developing readers. There's not a long time commitment to read one story. The topics and characters are interesting and there is enough weirdness to keep a reader turning pages to figure out what is going on. Some
Louise
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me start with a disclaimer: I am one of the authors of the Insecure Writers Support Group 2020 anthology: "Voyagers: The Third Ghost." I have reviewed the stories of my fellow authors. The stories are unique, varied, and excellent! I enjoyed them all.

Yvonne Ventresca: "The Third Ghost”
Yvonne's story is suspenseful, atmospheric, and full of courage and love. Lewis, almost thirteen, regularly sneaks out of his apartment at night, leaving his younger sister sleeping alone while he follows his m
Roland Clarke
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: reviewed
Review 5 stars

Every one of these stories was different in style, historical period, use of plot elements, and varied appearances of the unexpected from folklore to time travel. Ten marvellous reads and not just for Middle Age readers as this finicky retiree can attest. This anthology kept me reading from cover to cover with minimal breaks.

1. The Third Ghost by Yvonne Ventresca

This poignant story set in 1981 kept me riveted through to the twist at the end, even though I sensed it coming – altho
Roland Clarke
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Review 5 stars

Katharina Gerlach
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I've finally managed to finis reading the book (my story is the last one and I won't say anything about it because I loved through it. Trying to judge it would be unfair).

I really loved the stories in this book even though I was able to tell the end for some long before it came about. But then, I'm a seasoned reader and a writer and a dreaded know-it-all which means that I very often know what's going to happen in books or films, ad then find the result rather boring.

With these stories, though,
Toi Thomas
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read a collection of various genre stories that had me so overwhelmed with emotion at the end, and the fact that it's a middle-grade collection still boggles my mind. If I were still in the classroom, I would ask all my kid's parents to seriously consider having their kids read this book. While some of the stories are light, most are deep and or emotionally intense, but still perfectly suited for young readers to grasp the depth of the concepts and themes present ...more
Juneta Key
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining collection of short stories spanning genres of fantasy, science fiction, and history. All will take you on a voyage. Funny moments to spooky moments. They are short and easy to read so won't take a lot of time. Great to read in any situation that requires you to wait, and you want to past the time in escape, in this new climate of civilization that we are now living in. Highly recommend.

I volunteered to read an ARC copy of this book. This is my honest opinion.
Debs Carey
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I've struggled to read during 2020's pandemic, so this collection of short stories was ideal for getting me back into the habit again. Few were from my normally selected genre, nevertheless I found the tales to be enjoyable reads. A wide variety from a ghost story to science-fiction via the famed Soviet Night Witches. Enjoyable!
China
Jul 10, 2020
Caleb Seckman
Elizabeth Seckman
Beth Schuck
Jan 10, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Stephanie
Sue Wainscott
Jorgiann Schuck
Jan 11, 2020
Andra Kolczynski
Jan 11, 2020
Yvonne Ventresca
Feb 06, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: middle-grade
Rebecca Douglass
Feb 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Scott Coon
Alan Saxon
Brandi
Jennifer Redd
Mar 31, 2020

• Dancing With Dementia: Recognizing and Coping with the Early Stages of Dementia
  • Bad Fairy (A Bad Fairy Adventure #1)
  • Gabe's Guardian Angel
  • A Warrior's Tale
  • Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China
  • More Than Love: An Intimate Portrait of My Mother, Natalie Wood
  • The Missing Alphabet (A Gregory Green Adventure #4)
  • The Summer of Impossible Things
  • Just Once
  • Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading
  • Ladder To The Moon
  • 25 Years in the Rearview Mirror: 52 Authors Look Back
  • My Big Curly Fro
  • Dust & Lightning
  • Messenger: When the Raven Calls, Listen!
  • Save the Ocean (Save the Earth, #1)
  • Smitten with Ravioli (Smitten with Travel Romantic Comedy Series #1)
  • A Quick Bite
Yvonne Ventresca writes novels for teens that explore themes of trust, deception, and betrayal. Her latest young adult novel, BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES (Sky Pony Press, 2016) won a National IPPY Gold Medal for YA fiction in 2017. Justine Magazine said "This one will keep you guessing" and according to BuzzFeed, BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES "definitely won't disappoint."

Yvonne's debut YA novel, PANDEM