Start by marking “Mallikappale” as Want to Read:
Mallikappale

Mallikappale

Jana Novak on pitkä ja hontelo lontoolaistyttö, joka ei halua kuulla enää ainuttakaan kommenttia androgyynistä ulkonäöstään. Sitten hänet värvätään arvostetun mallitoimiston listoille, ja ruman ankanpoikasen sijaan Jana onkin yhtäkkiä kansainvälinen supermalli.

Muotimaailma osoittautuu yhtä likaiseksi kuin loisteliaaksikin, ja jokaisen kulman takana vaanii petoja. Jana saa
Published 2019 by Gummerus

To ask other readers questions about Mallikappale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mallikappale

Start your review of Mallikappale
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Word Review: Fashion, pressure, family, friendship, #MeToo.
5 More Words: Strength, abuse, life, change, justice.

Content Warnings: eating disorders, transphobia, sexual assault, sexual harassment, body shaming, coercion, drug use.

When I read Clean last year I thought it was glorious. But when I read Meat Market this year I thought it was sublime. Holy shit, Juno Dawson has done it again. And dare I say it? Meat Market was even better than Clean (which was one of my top reads last year) and I am
theresa
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JUNO DAWSON IS FUCKIN’ AMAZING
The Nerd Daily
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Sasha Zatz

In Juno Dawson’s new YA novel, Meat Market, it features themes of fashion, feminism, and self-discovery, all the while being a raw and powerful story about the realities of the fashion industry.

Meat Market will absolutely blow you away and it will submerge you in Jana’s world so quickly that you won’t be able to put the book down. We follow Jana as she enters the fashion industry and experiences the highest of highs and the lowest of
Aoife
I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Gawky, tomboyish Jana Novak has never truly felt beautiful, and so she (and many people in her life) is surprised when she is scouted by a model agency during a school trip. Before long, 16-year-old Jana is fast becoming the UK’s new top model but the dark world of the fashion industry threatens to swallow Jana whole.

Juno Dawson honestly can’t do any wrong in my opinion. Every
El
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh! I love Juno Dawson’s writing so much! It’s such a balance to the candy-cute YA books we all read (no shade, they’re great too )
I always like to compare her books to other books but with a grown up twist. So this is like the grown up version of geek girl.

It’s time to get real - the fashion industry, the good, the bad & the very, very ugly.
It’s a pretty great read, I loved the mystery of what the interview was, her experiences as a model, her schooling, Blo & also, I like the
ranði
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Where to start???
This story was something, I knew I’d get sucked into this plot cuz it sounded so niche?? I’m not sure but wow
The beginning and mostly middle of this book read as a teenager rising up in the modeling industry but it took a sharp turn 70% in.
This book really touches on the real side of how the fashion industry works, and I’m no expert when it comes to fashion or modeling but this really depicts a certain image and how hard it is to fit into this area society has dubbed as “
Emily
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Buddy read with Christa, though I did accidentally storm ahead, because I COULD NOT put this book down.
It was fascinating and horrifying in equal measure and such an important read.
Kirsty
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as I hoped. Really cracking read.
Lex
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I'm a sucker for a story about the highs and lows of fame (I read so many rockstar/popstar YAs when I was a teenager) so I really enjoyed this, but I REALLY wouldn't recommend if you have a history of any kind of disordered eating.
Lois Carr
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Meat Market’ follows the story of Jana as she gets discovered by a modelling agency and gets catapulted into the world of modelling. It seems amazing and glamorous at first glance but Jana quickly starts being dragged down into the dark depths of the industry and sees how the fame and fortune is not all it’s cracked up to be. This is a very raw, real book highlighting the ways the modelling industry can be destructive, especially for young people starting up in it. Even though it’s fictional I’ ...more
Lucy Pettigrew
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my TBR for a while now and seen as it’s the Reading Rush this week I thought I’d read it.
I. Loved. It. So. Much. Honestly such an amazing commentary on the fashion and modelling industry, I read it in a few hours because I just couldn’t get enough. I felt connected to the characters and it was great in dealing with LGBTQ+ characters. The mental health rep was powerful without the story just revolving around it which was so enjoyable to read - there was more to it than just
Bec (becklepanda)
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler free review can be found on my channel. :)
Link: https://youtu.be/_Ib2hFAgpeU
Jess
*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley*

Jana Novak doesn't feel comfortable in her own skin and is often teased because of how tall she is.
But when Jana's height and androgynous looks lead to her being scouted, Jana finds herself going from an average girl living in a London estate to a face that everyone knows.
Modelling isn't the future that Jana would have chosen for herself, but can she enjoy it and make the
Sian Clark
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting insight into the highs and lows of the fashion industry. The story was exciting but often saddening to think this is actually how many models in this industry have been treated something I had not previously really thought about and this really opened my eyes. But it is not all serious doom and gloom industry stuff. There is also a lot about Main character Jana's personal life which was really fun to read. Jana is such a strong character I really liked her. I would highly ...more
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Juno Dawson hits it out of the park again with a story about the scumbag side of he fashion industry and what it’s really like to be a model. She doesn’t pull punches, but even so I’m sure the industry is even more scummy than she makes out. Excellent read, though. Total page turner.
Grace
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of my favourite reads of this year so far, it is amazing!!!
The book details the rise of a young model and her navigation of the cut-throat business. It delves into some very deep and hard issues which are very relevant to today's society and it is refreshing to read.
I think this is an important book that people should definitely pick up, 10/10 would recommend!!!
Wilma (LifeGoofer)
4.5! an important ya contemporary
Anya
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily a new favorite!

Gosh! An absolute must read!
Naaytaashreads
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"I'd also argue that when a man has all the power, and you have non, is it really even consent? Like I was in a position where saying no was almost impossible. And he knew that. He banked on it."

This book is amazing. It is written amazingly. The storyline is well balance, quick pace, very direct, raw and honest.

I have never read anything by Juno Dawson, I heard amazing things on her writings and I was blown away.
Jennifer Waugh
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has absolutely been my favourite book so far this year. I bought it on a whim when I was last book shopping and I'm now so glad I did.

A great inside look at the fashion industry and how corrupt and suffocating it can be.

100% would recommend this book.
Lily
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. Oh. This book. It gave me chills, it was so good. Dawson is an expert at combining a fairly casual style full of quirky metaphors and tons of pop culture metaphors with topics that are gritty and real and so, so dark. This book delves deep into the dark world of the fashion industry and does it in a way that gives you an enjoyable reading experience while still getting the point across in a way that makes you want to stand up and take action.

I loved the way that Dawson was upfront
Jen
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ya, 2019-releases
Juno Dawson is brilliant at writing complicated protagonists, and I love that she lets the messy, complicated nature of real life steer her storytelling. The glitzy and gory world of fashion, seen through Jana's dazed eyes, feels very real.

Jana herself is an interesting protagonist. I love her attitude and her honesty, but there are a few inconsistencies in her voice that kept me from properly relating to her. It perhaps doesn't help that at times, the narrative seems a bit too issues-driven to
Liv
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really mixed feelings about this one. I didn't really care about Jana, but I cared about what happened to her? There's just a lot of conflict, which could be down to the writing and the voice of the book or something. Although I thought how it was presented (i.e. prose broken up by fictional news articles and interviews) was pretty neat. And the twist at the end of what 'Meat Market' actually was, was pretty cool too.

I will admit, some of the stuff in the book can be a bit triggering for
Sabine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow.
If you feel intrigued by the next words, this will be the book for you: friendship, flaws of the fashion industry, feminism, love, drug use, body positivity, awareness, rioting, sexual abuse.

Such an impactful story. I lived with Jana through ever single moment & hoped for the best for her. Juno Dawson did an amazing job with this story. More people need to read this, to become more aware of the problems that are going on in today’s society and/or fashion industry.
Moonbook
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW: sexual assault, rape, and more. check other reviews if some of that trigger u, I hope that other reviews will help you.
the book told as documentary film as book form as what happen to Jana, how her model carer stared? what amazing things have happen because of it?, what is the ugly truth about the fashion industry?
this book is rew but also funny I think it is book I think it so good. read it
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
‘Honest and raw, this is a timely exposé of the dark underbelly of the fashion industry’

Meat Market is the shocking recent novel from Juno Dawson. Published in May 2019 with Quercus Children’s Books, it is aimed at readers of 14+ but it will horrify and outrage any adult reader, due to the current relevance of the theme running through the story. I received an advance copy earlier in the year and, to be honest, I was slow to pick it up due to it being a book in the YA genre but having seen a
Victoria Robinson
I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital copy of Meat Market in exchange for an honest review.

I am not overly familiar with Juno Dawson’s works, aside from “Clean” which I read last year and bloody loved, so when I saw Meat Market on Netgalley I definitely wanted to read it.

Meat Market starts off like a lot of girls dreams- being scouted by someone who is essentially offering you the stars, jetting all over the world, meeting celebrities, but we don’t
Christine -  LifeWithAllTheBooks
This is the first book I’ve read by Juno Dawson and it definitely won’t be the last. Meat Market follows Jana, a 17 year old from London, as she is very unexpectedly scouted to become a model. We follow her through the extreme highs and lows of her new life and get an intimate look at the perils of the fashion industry. There is a preface to the book where Dawson highlights the research that went into the story and her reasons for writing it. Her words demonstrate how much care she has taken to ...more
Tocotin

The author had me at “androgynous”, so I really wanted to read this, even though I don’t usually read YA. Well, I’m glad I picked up this one. It was very fast-paced, the setting was fascinating (I especially appreciated that the main character was a British teenager and used British teenage slang – it felt authentic), and the direction of the plot sort of took me by surprise.

At first, I didn’t care so much about the main character, Jana; she felt sulky and angry all the time. But her
Barbara Band
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA
Jana is "spotted" by a modelling agency when she is on a school trip to Thorpe Park. Naturally tall and slim, her androgynous look attracts name-calling at school but is exactly what the agency are looking for. She is quickly pulled into the world of photo shoots, clothes fittings and fashion weeks across the world. At first she's excited but she misses her family, her friends seem to be getting on with their lives without her and whenever she manages to catch up with her boyfriend, she's so ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Heartstream
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Dead Popular
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • The Burning
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
Previously wrote under the name James Dawson

Queen of Teen 2014 Juno Dawson is the multi award-winning author of six novels for young adults. In 2016, she authored the best-selling World Book Day title: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

Her next novel is the beautiful and emotive MARGOT & ME (Jan 2017) which will be followed by her adult debut, the memoir THE GENDER GAMES (Jul 17).

Juno also wrote the