Start by marking “Thick as Thieves” as Want to Read:
Thick as Thieves

Thick as Thieves

Arden Maxwell, the daughter of the man who disappeared all those years ago -- presum
Published August 25th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Thick as Thieves, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charity
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Thick as Thieves
Sheyla ✎

Sandra Brown is a must-read for me. She is one of my favorite writers. I couldn’t pass on Thick as Thieves. I'm extremely thankful to Grand Central Publishing for my early copy.

In Thick as Thieves, a heist gone wrong, a murder, and a father’s disappearance twenty years ago are at the center of the story.

Arden Maxwell decides to move back to her family home when she realizes she is pregnant. Her home has been isolated and left unkept since her father disappeared that awful night twenty year
Mo
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's between a three and four for me.

I'll say it again and plenty of my friends on here have said it, the recent SB books are not a patch on her older books. I did enjoy this one and it kept me guessing but, honestly, it had none of the "edge of your seat" stuff that her books like Chill Factor or Mean Streak had. Those books, I could just not put down and they are ones that I did re-read and listened to on Audible. This one, not sure I will pick it up again. Maybe, years from now!

Maybe war
A.
3.75 Stars

Standard Sandra Brown. Not her best, not her worst. I enjoyed it but I guessed the culprit early on. I still love her writing, though. I wish she wrote more than one book every year...
Corina
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I realized I LOVE reading romantic suspense novels in between all the other genres I read. And I was actually surprised by how much I was looking forward to it and in the end really enjoyed it. AND Sandra Brown is VERY good at it - so definitely a win-win for me :D

full review here

___________________________________

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. My opinions have not been influenced by the publisher or the author.

Find more reviews and
Lisazj1
3.5 stars but I'll round up to 4 just for the last quarter of the book. I love Sandra Brown's writing but her last couple of books just haven't wowed me, though it honestly pains me to say it. 😕

The biggest thing missing for me, just like last time, is chemistry between her MCs. I fully admit it could just be me but I completely didn't feel that here. The characters were likable, mostly, but I just didn't love them. The one I felt the strongest about was the damn bad guy, and I absolutely loathed
Brenda
Arden Maxwell had returned to her childhood home in Caddo Lake, Texas after twenty years of being absent. Her father, Joe Maxwell had disappeared back then and although he’d been declared dead, no one had seen or heard of him since then. Arden’s sister Lisa was against her moving back home, living in the old, rundown house the two women had grown up in, but Arden took no notice of her sister. Twenty years ago there’d been a robbery, a murder and Joe had vanished. He was blamed for both events.

A
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Many thanks to Net Galley, Hodder & Stoughton and the author for a chance to read and review this book. All opinions are expressed voluntarily.

A year back, there was this lovely feature in Goodreads that helped us to check the MOST READ AUTHORS as a list. No prizes guessing the top author in my list, none other than SANDRA BROWN. Ever since reading Prime Time, I have been an ardent fan of this prolific writer and from the time she had begun to write stories that provide a perfect mix of romance
♥Rachel♥
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Arden is back in her small hometown after twenty years to find answers. A half million-dollar heist, a murder, and her father’s disappearance has left her with a lot of questions. Her reappearance doesn’t go unnoticed and unfortunately her return draws the attention of a nefarious person from the past. Does Arden know more about the theft and where the money went? Well, that speculation spells danger for Arden.

Ledge has had his own trouble in this little Texas town, but he’s paid his due taking
♥Sharon♥
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

I will forever be a Sandra Brown fan. I will say her current stuff doesn't match up to her older books. Some of my favorites are Envy, The Alibi, Chill Factor, Lethal. I could go on and on. They kept me on the edge of my seat worrying and wondering how things would play out. Her new stuff just doesn't ring those bells with me.

BUT!!! I did enjoy this one. I'm not going to say much about it. It is a story that is best going in blind.

Thick as Thieves is told between the past and the presen
Kay
" Twenty years ago in the dead of night, four seemingly random individuals pulled the ultimate heist and almost walked away with half a million dollars. But by daybreak, their plan had been shot to hell. One of them was in the hospital. One was in jail. One was dead. And one got away with it."

Sounds really good right? It's like watching a movie trailer and thought, wow, I gotta watch it! Then once you watched it the trailer was the better than the movie. That's how I feel about this book. 😌
Anita
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-supense
I love Sandra Brown and "Thick as Thieves" does not disappoint. She can create a story like very few authors and you always get a twist for the ending. Her hero and heroine are at odds from their first meeting and trust is not something either of them feels for the other. Lust, yes - Trust, no. The plot draws you in from the first chapter and I couldn't put this book down.

In the middle of a dark, stormy night twenty years ago four people pulled off a remarkable heist and get away scot free. Then
Gretchen  (About That Story)
This was a riveting and thrilling story that kept me guessing until the very end! It was so exciting to read with all the twists and turns, incredible characters, and intriguing mystery happening. I couldn't put it down. This story is the definition of a page-turner! I loved it!

This was a captivating read with a fantastic build and details, I was completely pulled in. I loved the back and forth storytelling between past and present and loved the different POVs and getting all the history. It had
Irene Sim

I'm wavering between 3 and 3,5 stars. I didn't feel the Sandra Brown excitement, intrigue and chemistry between the MC's as I did in her previous books. I had guessed the big reveal almost from the start - minus a small detail (view spoiler) - and the vilain isn't as cunning as in Outfox for example.

I had reached 30% of the story and I felt that I was still in the prologue. IDK, maybe I wasn't in the mood for a SB book. Bu
Rach
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts off with four men who have to commited a heist worth half a million dollars. By daybreak the plan has gone wrong. One was in hospital, one was in jail, one was dead and one got away with it.

We are then brought to the present with Arden Maxwell who is daughter of the one who got away with it. She decides to move back to the family home in Caddo Lake, Texas were the heist was commited. Arden is being watched by two of her father's co-conspirators who still live in town.

Ardern mee
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Twenty years ago a group of four pulled off a surprising small town heist. By morning, one was in the hospital, one was in jail, another dead, and the final gone along with the half a million dollars.

The missing man was presumed to have murdered his accomplice and taken off with the cash. Now his daughter, Arden Maxwell, is back in town and searching for a sense of closure and hopes of raising a family. She has no idea that two of the people involved in the heist are watching her closely and for
Anne OK
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
There’s not much in the world of books that makes me happier than the arrival of each new release from Sandra Brown. The suspense factor was really done well here, and her latest is a total win-win. After all these years, she still manages to surprise and thrill me as she brings her heroes and heroines to life on the pages of her books. I can only think of one other author's books I may have read over and over as many times as Brown's.

SB once again sends us to a small town in Texas for the sett
Jannelies
What I liked most about the book was the fact that the reader doesn't have to work out by himself what's happened to the four thieves. Well, not all of it anyway. Pretty soon it is obvious what happened to some of the characters, which makes it all the more interesting to read why and how it all happened.
It may be not very nice to say so, but I thought the bad guy to be the most interesting character in a way. Even from a young age, he knows how to make people do what he wants. He's a master in
Niki (mustreadalltheromance)
With her life in shambles, Arden Maxwell decides to move back into her childhood home and try to finally put her father’s abandonment of herself and her elder sister behind her. Even after twenty years the scandal of her father’s disappearance immediately following the theft of half a million dollars, and a murder that presumably went along with it, is still being felt. Arden is looking for answers but has no idea that her movements are being monitored by two of her father’s former accomplices, ...more
Donna Hines
Sandra Brown has brought it home with passion, intensity, and lively characters that are all her own. If you're a huge fan like me- you'll fall in love with this one rather quickly.
She's the master of thrillers and leave no doubt this will rock your world!!
It begins with a past history from twenty years earlier in which a heist that involved millions resulted in one hospitalization, one dead, and one that got away.
That one that got away was the father of these two ladies (Arden and Lisa) which w
Tiffany
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Usually I can guess an ending or have a good idea of what will happen, this one was a total surprise.
Darcy
This one was just ok for me. I liked Arden at times, but often it seemed like she had her head in the sand. Ledge was meh for me, I think he was supposed to come off as a redeemed bad boy, but to me he just came off as a bit sad. The rest of the characters...well for the most part all of them were awful for their actions in the past and present. By the time we got to the end and learned what really happened all I could think was what a waste of so many people and most of those that were in on th ...more
Lynsey A
When it comes to Romantic Suspense, Sandra Brown is the reigning queen of the twist and little turns to the story. Most times while reading her books you have know idea of the real bad guy. This one was the exception. You knew Rusty Dyle was the bad guy and you will absolutely despise him. His character is so evil and so manipulating, that you want nothing but a satisfying punishment for him. While I didn't get exactly what I wanted with him, I was left feeling a little satisfied.

However, as sta
Rebecca
3.5 STARS

This was a decent read, but definitely not a SB favorite. There was little chemistry between the main characters, and the plot was mostly predictable. Her last few books haven’t captivated me like her earlier works, but I’ll keep reading.
Amy
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popfiction
I definitely did not see what was coming at the end of the story - Wow!
Deb
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another romantic suspense book from Sandra Brown. It was pretty good. It kept me interested, and cruised right along. It had suspense and a bit of a surprising twist at the end.
Diane Matlick
“If you were paying attention last night, you know everything you need to know.”

Not the best Sandra Brown (those are 10 star reads for me) but still pretty good just lacking a little bit of the intensity I like to feel for the couple and the suspense. But definitely worth a read for any SB or romantic suspense fan- she truly is the best.
Jessica (the naptime writer)
I always find it fascinating how gray Sandra Brown’s characters are. How they skirt the line of truth in so many ways; how they often do bad things for the right reasons (or maybe it’s more accurate to say they often do bad things with good intentions).

With Thick as Thieves, Brown’s romantic suspense that just released 08/25, Brown writes a hero who lies, lies, lies. But I still (mostly) liked him (see CW below).

Maybe it’s because in many ways Ledge Burnet is Brown’s most sensitive hero I’ve met
Lindsey Domokur of Crazy Reader Chicks
I will always read a new Sandra Brown story when it comes out. Ledge was a broody man and I do love me some broody men. I enjoyed this book and I also didn't guess all of the twists. I really like when I don't guess the twists, I had some ideas of what was going to happen, but I was pleasantly surprised with others. I really enjoyed this read.
JoJo
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is definitely a page-turner. I read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the writing style but I didn't care for the actual plot. The mystery was predictable and you knew who the villain was from the beginning. The romance felt unnecessary. I didn't feel the chemistry between the characters. I picked this up to read something out of my comfort zone and discovered that romantic suspense isn't the genre for me. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of reading it and I understand how people would lov ...more
Susan
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow!

• Median Gray
  • A Deep and Deadly Undertow (Garrison Gage #7)
  • Hear No Evil (Hidden Norfolk #5)
  • Dead Land
  • Drift (Rachel Hatch #1)
  • Manna From Heaven
  • Dark of the Moon
  • Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • To Love a Man
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • The History Teacher
  • Smash It! (Smash It! #1)
  • A Woman Alone
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • The Complete Language of Flowers: A Definitive and Illustrated History
  • The Woman in Red
  • We Keep the Dead Close: A Murder at Harvard and a Half Century of Silence

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy nove

Articles featuring this book

“What did you do in the military?” “How’d you know about that?” “The man I called for a reference told me. He said you fought in the Middle East.” “That’s right.” “What branch of the service?” “Army. Special Forces.” “What was your specialty?” “Killing the enemy.” 0 likes
“By morning, their plan had been shot to hell. One of them was in the hospital. One was in jail. One was in the morgue. And one had gotten away with the haul.” 0 likes