Start by marking “The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett” as Want to Read:
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett

It's never too late to start living.

Infused with the emotional power of Me Before You and the irresistible charm of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and Be Frank with Me, a moving and joyous novel about an elderly woman ready to embrace death and the little girl who reminds her what it means to live.

Eudora Honeysett is done with this noisy, moronic world—all of it. She
Published September 8th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett, please sign up.
Laxmi This has very little in common with "Me Before You" (aside from a minor common theme of assisted suicide).

If I were to compare this to other books, I…more

If I were to compare this to other books, I'd say it's Frederik Backman's "A Man Called Ove" with Gail Honeyman's "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine." It is neither as romantically inclined nor as maudlin as "Me Before You." (less)

Start your review of The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett
Marilyn
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Published September 8th 2020

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons is a special book. We meet eighty-five year old Eudora Honeysett as she is so very aware of her mortality and absolutely sure she does not want to have her last days in a hospital, on machines, kept alive well past the time she is ready to go. She has seen this happen to her mother and to other people and she wants no part of it, especially because she has no friends or family. If she doesn't take control of her de
Jayme
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
If you have been needing a cathartic cry....for any reason..this is the book for you! 😭🤧

There are happy tears 👵🏻 and sad tears 😿 but, I don’t think you can read this without shedding some tears!

First, let’s dispel with the comparisons.

This is the same book as Eudora Honeysett is Quite Well, Thank You.
(Which is actually a fitting name, because that is always her answer if asked)

But, I was afraid that title was a play on “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” and I wasn’t sure that I liked that,
Michael David
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All the stars for this book that states, “It’s never too late to start living.”

Eudora Honeysett is an 85-year old who is alone in life, with the exception of her seemingly grumpy cat, Montgomery. 🐱 She wants to embrace death on her terms, and is looking into an assisted death via a clinic in Switzerland.

Then, 10-year old Rose Trewidney and her family move in next door, and Rose barges into her life. Rose, along with recently widowed Stanley, push Eudora way outside of her comfort zone. As they
DeAnn
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
5 Unicorn Stars

This is a terrific book! I truly enjoyed being part of Eudora’s life and watching her change through the book. Eudora is 85 and ready to leave this world and she’s found her path to do just that. She’s no nonsense and prefers her solitary life.

It’s funny how life sometimes gets in the way of your plans though. She gets a new wonderful neighbor family with 10-year-old Rose who in in close competition for my favorite character in this book. Rose loves fashion and dressing in amazing
Katie B
Every once in awhile I fall in love with a fictional character and that's definitely the case with Eudora Honeysett. She's at the twilight of her life and as the reader you get to see some of the events that shaped her as a person. If you liked Maurice Hannigan from When All Is Said by Anne Griffin, I definitely recommend getting to know Eudora as well.

Fair warning, the story explores the topic of assisted suicide so it might not be the right read for everyone. In this case, Eudora Honeysett is
Javier
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life is precious and as long as we have a reason to continue, we should follow that path"

Do you know how there are some books that while you're reading them you immediately know are gonna stay with you for a very long time? Well, "Eudora Honeysett is quite well, thank you" was that kind of book for me. Although it deals with some deep issues, it does it in a such a natural way that it was a delight reading it.

Eudora is 85 years old and done with this world. After many sufferings and with her h
Marilyn
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can’t begin to tell you how much I loved The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons! If you are looking for a feel good book with lots of valuable lessons you should definitely read this book. It was a character driven book with several very likable characters. I fell in love with Eudora, 10 year old Rose and recently widowed Stanley. The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett will put a smile on your face. This book focused on the ideas of friendship, family, keeping promises, dealing ...more
Dana
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book! I completely fell in love with these characters. All the stars!

Huge thank you to Sweetreads Box for another fantastic book choice!
Jane
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

You can read all of my reviews at Nerd Girl Loves Books.

I absolutely loved this book! It is so sweet and life affirming-I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend you read it.

Eudora Honeysett is 85 years old and is done with life. She wants to leave on her own terms and sets a plan in motion to do just that. Of course, when we make plans, God laughs... Enter 10 year-old Rose Trewidney.

Rose is a whirling dervish of energy, sparkles and color. She has an endearing enthusiasm for life an
Diane Barnes
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book manages to be entertaining without being cute, inspiring without being preachy, and a good lesson for everyone without trying to serve up moralistic mumbo jumbo. We get the story of Eudora's life from 1940 on right alongside her life in the present as an 85 year old woman, ready to die. The characters were so wonderful and real. I would love to have a 10 year old Rose in my life. Recommended for young and old.
Pauline
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Eudora is an 85 year old who is very set in her ways and feels that she has had enough of life.
When new neighbours move in next door Rose a ten year old girl decides to form a friendship with her and Eudora’s peace and quiet is now a thing of the past.
A feel good story to lift your spirits with some laugh out loud moments.
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins - One more Chaper for inviting me to read this book, I enjoyed it immensely.
Meagan (Meagansbookclub)
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review ▫️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I haven’t read a book like this in awhile. My heart grew about 100x by the time I finished. It was as if A Man Called Ove and a WW2 historical fiction book had a baby? I’m not even sure if I’m allowed to say that Eudora might be better than A Man Called Ove (because Backman), but I’m not not saying that, get it?

Anyway, grab a box of tissues, and cozy up with a blanket. You won’t be disappointed! (But don’t tell me if you are disappointed 😆).
Morgan
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 - 1/2*

Eudora Honeysett at 85 years old is seriously done with life and is in the process of arranging her own demise. With no family or friends she sees no reason why she should not make her own arrangements with a clinic in Switzerland.

Eudora is a bit grumpy (but never rude) and lonely (although she won’t admit to it) that is until a new family moves in next door and she meets the exuberant and very unique 10 year old Rose. Rose’s personality is as vibrant and unconventional as her style in f
Susan Z
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If your heart can smile then that is exactly what happened to me while reading this book.

Eudora is 85 years old and feels like she is done with living. She lives alone but is not lonely. Or depressed. Or even sick. She just feels like she's done, it's time to go before she does get sick and ends up in a home.

She is content with life and doesn't need anything more from it. Or so she thinks. When she crosses paths with Stanley, a silver haired gent who recently lost his wife and Rose, her 10 year
Corina
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bittersweet ending always make me cry 😭
Jodie (That Happy Reader)
Some authors have an ability to take a delicate, complex subject and make it enjoyable and meaningful. Annie Lyons does just that in Eudora Honeysett is Quite Well, Thank You.

Eudora Honeysett is an eighty-five year old woman who lives alone. Physically, she does quite well swimming regularly and getting around to the shops. But emotionally, her life has been one filled with challenge. Eudora has always been so very responsible, always putting others’ needs ahead of her own. She is full of despai
Nursebookie
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett (US)
Eudora Honeysett is Quite Well, Thank You (UK)
By: Annie Lyons

This is one of my best reads this year and will rank as one of my top three books of 2020.

Eudora Honeysett is 85 years old and is so done with the world - the noise, anger, disrespect from others she has found herself having lived a full life and want to exit the world with dignity having no family or friends left. She will not pass away as her own mother did, with multiple hospital visits be
Fiction Addition Angela
When I started this story I knew nothing about it really. One more chapter asked if I would like to read it and I jumped straight in. I immediately thought of the books A Man called Ove and Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine.
The main character a cranky, older, grumpy elder who has just had enough!
After a few chapters I was hooked.

Annie Lyons has created a moving novel that is about an elderly woman nearing the end of her life and is ready to embrace death her way and in sharp contrast a littl
Jenna | JennaStopReading
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! It was so sweet and beautifully woven. The characters were charming and funny. The story was believable and hit hard, but still had felt hopeful and inspiring. It was an excellent debut and I look forward to more from Annie Lyons!
Kristen Cook - A Book Ninja
I was not familiar with Annie Lyons but I am a fan. I will read anything she writes now that I have read The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett.

If you know me at all, you know that I am a sucker for any story about unlikely friends. I think often that these unlikely friendships are the best there are in this world. This is the case of Eudora, an eighty-five year old woman, and Rose, a ten-year old girl along with a neighbor Stanley.

The story switches time-lines as it goes. The story starts out
Fictionophile
Eudora Honeysett – 85 years old and increasingly troubled by the usual ailments, vulnerabilities, and indignities of old age. Eudora has never been married and still lives in the London house she grew up in – her only company is a cantankerous black cat named Montgomery. She feels like she is ready to meet death ‘head on’ and she has no fear of its mysteries. Alone, with neither family or friends, Eudora feels that she is done with life. She despairs of the modern way of life with lack of manner ...more
Lisa Loves Books
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect antidote for feeling hopeless and alone. A lot of us feel that way these days while living under this endless pandemic. We're isolated. We're bored. We're frustrated and we don't have anything to look forward to. Eudora Honeysett feels the same way. Retired and well past her Golden Years she feels like she's seen it all until she meets an older gentleman and friendship follows. If you liked the book, A Man Called Ove, you'll like this book. I loved it.

The Brilliant Life
Kristine
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story of Eudora, Rose and Stanley! I wanted to be a part of their group! A feel-good story when things have been a bit crazy out in the world. I read via audio and the narration was spot-on. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Chelsey
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is based off a digital ARC provided by Net Galley and Harper Collins.

Eudora Honeysett is ready to die. She's eighty-five, and alone, and she wants to have a good, peaceful death on her own terms. She's faced a life of heart break and disappointment, and after watching her mother wither away slowly, she just wants to have her own say on the end of her life.

Choosing death on your own terms, however, is quite difficult, and just as she begins the long process of applying for assistance
Laura Hill
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-womens
Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on Sept. 8th, 2020.

Plot: 2 Writing: 3 Characters: 3

This is a new entry into the recent spate of novels which begin with a cranky, bitter, oldster and end with a heartwarming celebration of life.

Eudora Honeycutt is 85 and is planning to end her life with the aid of a Swiss clinic. In alternating chapters we witness her life’s transformation
Carol (Reading Ladies)
4.5 Stars

If you love Ove you will love Eudora! Both are quirky, opinionated, impatient with “stupid” people and situations, are tired of living, have a compassionate and tender side well hidden beneath their rough exterior, and unexpectedly become friends with a much younger generation. Eudora is a bit snarkier than Ove and I love her dry humor and wit! She also has a heartfelt backstory.

This is a story of Loneliness, Friendship, Kindness, and finding Joy in living again. It’s also the story of
Cynthia Dunn
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Terrific characters.
Melanie Sligh
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life is precious and as long as we have a reason to continue, we should follow that path.

Hi. Do you like to cry? I mean ugly cry. The kind of cry when you’re wailing uncontrollably but no sound is coming out because it’s THAT HARD. Oh, you do? Pick this up then. Okay, but seriously, this was a beautiful book. It was written so well and gave me every emotion, including hope. I believe this is one that will be on the big screen, and will pull at your heartstrings.

The book goes back and forth bet
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This book is beautiful. Beautifully written, beautifully told and just stunning overall. I absolutely fell in love Eudora and Rose, they are both such amazing characters. The story although focused around death is positive and full of hope. This book stays with you long after you finish turning the pages and I think will be with me for many years. This is one of my favourite reads, ever ! This will be a best seller and definitely should win awards, it’s that good. Thoroughly recommended read for ...more
Kristen Doyle
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As reviewed on www.dineanddish.net. Thank you William Morrow for the ARC.

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett is an endearing story about Eudora...a cranky and lonely, older lady who lives alone and has a wish to end her life via physician-assisted suicide. When new neighbors move in next door, and an eccentric, nosy ten-year-old girl named Rose decides to befriend Eudora, things start to take an interesting turn. Suddenly Eudora has more to live for than just her day to day routine and her ca

• Little Wishes
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • Franchise: The Golden Arches in Black America
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • The Banker’s Wife
  • The Night Watchman
  • Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood
  • Girls Like Us
  • Furmidable Foes (Mrs. Murphy, #29)
  • A Fine Line: How Most American Kids Are Kept Out of the Best Public Schools
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Haunted (Hannah Smith, #3)
  • The Nesting
  • Hurricane Season
  • The Mercies
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Magic Required (Wizard for Hire, #3)
After a career in bookselling and publishing, Annie Lyons published five books including the best-selling, Not Quite Perfect. When not working on her novels, she teaches creative writing. She lives in south-east London with her husband and two children.