Start by marking “The Lost Love Song” as Want to Read:

The Lost Love Song

This is the story of a love song. And like any good love song, it has two parts.

In Australia, Arie Johnson waits impatiently for classical pianist Diana Clare to return from a world tour, hopeful that after seven years together she'll finally agree to marry him.

On her travels, Diana composes a song for Arie. It's the perfect way to express her love, knowing they'll spend t
Published March 3rd 2020 by Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Love Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Love Song

Start your review of The Lost Love Song
jessica
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
the romantic in me desperately wanted to love this, and the story idea itself is indeed a dream for all romantics out there, but the realist in me just could not get over some aspects of this.

again, the idea is adorable, but i had a difficult time believing the connection between the two main characters. i just couldnt believe that (view spoiler)
Jessica | JustReadingJess
The Lost Love Song is a fantastic romance above love and loss. There are so many facets of this book that I won’t say much because I’m afraid of ruining something.

The Lost Love Song is about a song that finds its way to different couples. There is the main story and then a few side character stories. The connection between the stories is the song. The love stories are great and different parts about music make it better.

I highly recommend The Lost Love Song for fans of Jojo Moyes, Josie Silver,
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Red rimmed, running nose, blotchy face: side effects of reading something directly addresses to your soul, emotional, heartfelt.

Wow! What a beautiful, poetic, genuine, bittersweet story about the exhilarating journey of love song which saves people’s souls and gives them a real reason to move on and see the magical beauty of the life.

This moving, soul crushing journey starts from a Singapore Hotel and moves on from Edinburgh, London to New York and Australia.
A talented pianist Diana finally pl
Ceecee
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title is Long Lost Love Song.

How do Arie Johnson, Bene Romero, his daughter Beatrix, her first love Felix Carter, traveller and hopeful poet Evie Greenless connect? Through a long lost love song sung by Lucie Dorian which came to her via a very circuitous route. Though none of them knew it the melody was composed by music prodigy Diana Clare to show her love for Arie before tragedy struck.

I absolutely love the first two thirds of the book. There are some sections that are so well described tha
DeAnn
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4 Lovely Stars and now available

I kept thinking the title of this one was the “Last Love Song” -- but it really is the story of a lost love song! A love song from world class Australian pianist Diana Clare that makes its way into the hearts of several couples around the world.

I really enjoyed the character of Evie, she’s moved around so many times, writing poetry and struggling to find someone who loves her completely. She finally heads back home to Australia and finds someone amazing, but the t
Larry H
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

The Lost Love Song , the latest book from Minnie Darke, combines some of my favorite themes—love, loss, hope, and music—and it was just so good!

“What was it, Evie wondered, that made some people fit for a love like that, and left other people wanting? Was love like a radio signal, and you just had to be lucky enough to be born with your heart’s dials tuned to the right frequency? Or was it something that could only happen to you when you were young and fearless?”

For all
Gloria Arthur
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-bookshelf
⭐️ 4.5 Stars ⭐️

The Lost Love Song is a beautifully well written story. The cover is a delightful fire engine red and eye-catching.

This is the enchanting journey of a love song that changes people’s lives and the bittersweet story of love and loss. I personally wish I could hear the sound of the intriguing 'love song’ in the story. Seriously it would make a great movie, then we could all hear it!

Arie Johnson is unaware that when Diana Clare returns home from a world tour she is going to finally
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**4.5 stars**

The Lost Love Song by Minnie Darke. (2020).

In Australia, Arie waits impatiently for classical pianist Diana to return from a world tour and is hopeful that she'll finally agree to plan their wedding. On her travels, Diana composes a song for Arie. It's the perfect way to express her love and she knows they'll spend their lives together... won't they?
Late one night, her song is overheard and begins its own journey across th
Marianne
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“For Diana, Arie had learned, music was an all-purpose medication. She used rousing music to stir herself to action, maudlin music to soothe herself in distress, violent music if she needed to vent, and bittersweet music if she felt like crying.”

The Lost Love Song is the second novel by Australian author, Minnie Darke (aka Danielle Wood). Celebrated pianist Diana Clare had composed the song for her lover, Arie Johnson. They had been together for seven amazing years, and it was going to be her wa
Janelle
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A piece of music, a love song travels around the world as people hear it and are touched by it, sounds really corny and when I started I was worried it would be too sickly sweet for me but it actually worked really well and I got pulled into the story and found it hard to put down.
The story is mainly about Arie, a computer geek in Melbourne. Arie’s partner Diana, a concert pianist writes the song. The other main character is Evie , an Australian travelling around the world who wants to be a publ
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
When Diana, an accomplished pianist, and Arie, an IT guy, meet for the first time, it's love at first sight. Seven years later they are engaged, living together in the home they bought, and happier than ever. But Arie is confused as to why Diana still won't make the ultimate commitment and marry him. Desperate to convey her feelings for him but undecided about the tradition of marriage, Diana composes a hauntingly beautiful love song that she begins to play for him before she's whisked away for ...more
Maria
4.5!

If you’re looking for a not-your-average romance book, then pick this up immediately!

This novel needs to be digested (and deserves to be read slowly). The writing was a little difficult to get used to at first, but once you get into it, you can’t stop reading it!

A beautiful story about love, loss, and how to give life a chance after the hand you’re dealt with. The ending was a really great, full circle moment as well, which just leaves you wanting to hug the book and smile for a few days
Milena
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Two things I loved the most about The Lost Love Song are the gorgeous cover and the idea of a love song traveling around the world, bringing different people together, and evolving while staying true to its origins. I found the first half of the book slow. I felt removed from the story due to the writing style and didn't feel a connection to any of the characters. It took me days to read the first half of the book. I enjoyed the second half a lot more and finished reading it in one evening.

Ther
Theresa Smith
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2020
I read Star-crossed by Minnie Darke last year and instantly loved it. This year she has returned with a new novel, The Lost Love Song, and while it’s completely different to Star-crossed, it’s resulted in another case of insta-love with me. I love music: the way in which people can be brought together and connect over it, the way it can soundtrack your life, the way in which it can make you feel, and the way in which you can lose yourself in it. I would listen to music all day and night long if ...more
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Love Song is a sweeping, bittersweet story, following the journey of a song from one side of the world to the other, as it slowly makes its way home to its intended audience.
Concert pianist Diana Clare sets out from her home in Melbourne, Australia, to perform a series of concerts in Asia and Europe. She's reluctant to leave her fiancé, Arie Johnson, in the midst of a conflict over the direction of their relationship, and begins composing a song expressing her love for him on the night
Deborah Ideiosepius
In this truly delightful little love story we have a number of different people all over the world who's stories are tied together by the lost love song of the title.

Arie Johnson in Melbourne Australia puts his girlfriend Diana Clare on a plane for a world tour. Diana is a fascinating random and likable character, a classical pianist and Arie adores her, he wants to marry her and hopes when she comes back she will say yes.

On the night before she leaves Diana starts to write a piano melody, Arie
book bruin
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars

This was a very emotional and ultimately heartwarming romance. I loved the premise of the book, but I don't think I was quite prepared for how heavy and sad the beginning would leave me. I actually had to step away from the book for a bit to regroup and get my feelings in order. It's not that the book itself is sad, but a tragic event (see CW below) sets in motion a domino effect that touches so many lives.

I really loved the journey that Arie and Evie both took through this novel. Eac
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

‘That piece? You know what we call that piece?’

‘All right … tell me.’

Felix grinned. “Love Song”.’

Minnie Darke is best known for her enchanting novel Star-crossed, which became a bestseller last year. Her latest release is an unforgettable and life affirming tale of the power of music to transform lives. I have all good words to say about this affecting tale of love, life, loss, friendship, music and poetry.

The Lost Love Song is the spellbinding tale of a com
Marianne
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Lost Love Song is the second novel by Australian author, Minnie Darke (aka Danielle Wood). The audio version read by Arianwen Parkes-Lockwood and Marcello Fabrizi. Celebrated pianist Diana Clare had composed the song for her lover, Arie Johnson. They
Desiree
I had high hopes for this one - the cover is gorgeous and grabbed my attention right from the start - and the Once Upon a Book Club December 2020 teaser of "Behind every great love song is a great love story" tugged at my heart strings as well.

Yet, while the story was enjoyable, it really didn't take root in my heart and in "the feels" like I thought, nay - hoped, it would. The tale of a song that makes it's way from one person to the next, and takes a tour all over the globe, is, however, intri
Michele
4 1/2 "For Real" Stars

The Lost Love Song is a book that resonated with my heart and soul. I know it's a little fantastical to believe a lost love song can makes its way into the hands of so many people. Not only making its way to them but also impacting each of their lives in a beautiful and significant way. I was easily able to suspend reality and fall into this lovely and somewhat mystical story.

This book starts in tragedy, but evolves into a beautiful exploration of how one event can aff
Sayonee
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Being on a world tour, Diana Clare, a famous classical pianist, had composed a love song that was supposed to be a message to her lover. But as she never managed to come back home, the message remained undelivered and the song, unknown.
But then, "once released into the world, songs, have a tendency to make their own way."
The Lost Love Song is a book about love and loss; and 'love after loss' and about the magical power of music, but mostly about a love song. A song that despite being lost itse
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
The Lost Love Song is so very special. It is the kind of story that stays in your heart for a long time. I thought the way that everything and everyone was intertwined was just beautiful.

By the time I finished the last line, I was in love with each and every character and I didn't want their stories to end.

When I finished the last word, I just sat for a moment with my eyes closed. This novel is tender, bittersweet, gentle, and absolutely lovely.

Nursebookie
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
By Minnie Darke

This is such a beautiful and poignant written story about finding love, second chances and and music that heals broken hearts. This book was pretty special and love tis emotional and heartwarming love story. The story was sad and the grief was captured so beautifully. I loved the writing and the immersive story that really drew me into the story investing my time with these characters. Truly a fascinating read I loved..
Sharon
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
After enjoying Star-Crossed last year, I was thrilled to receive a copy of The Lost Love Song for review. Darke writes about the connections between people so well - be that the random coincidences of strangers, or the budding romance between a couple - and she applies this skill to her latest novel in spades. This is the story of an unconventional romance, and it is a joy to read. Readers should note triggers for the description of a fatal aircraft crash and gaslighting.

Melbourne-based piano pr
Helen
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘What was that thing you were playing?’ he asked. She looked up at him and shrugged. ‘Just a . . . song.’ ‘It was beautiful.’ He was right. It was beautiful..’

Love music? Then this tale is sure to take you on an enchanting journey as the musical notes reach far and wide, touching lives in a story centred around love and loss. A bittersweet story surrounding the inception of a love song, a song that was lost then found and ultimately travels across continents impacting upon those that hear the no
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Elvina Zafril
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: times-reads
What a great story! I loved everything about this book. And I enjoyed reading about the love song that changed people's lives.

This is my first book written by Minnie Darke and what I can say that this book got me emotional while I was reading it. It is beautifully written.

A love song travels around the world to be heard by people and touched by it. Sounds a little bit cliche but I enjoyed the song. The story is mainly about Arie, a geek in Melbourne. Arie's partner is Diana, a concert pianist w
Jenilee Houghtailing
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
This book was a mixed bag for me. I was a little bored throughout the first half and found the main relationship described therein to be a little too perfect and unconvincing. However, I really started to enjoy this book in the second half - I became more invested in the characters and found their interactions and relationships to resonate in a way that made me care about them and what happened to them. However, there was a fair amount of jumping around with different POVs and just when I starte ...more
texbsquared
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely bowled over by how much I adored this novel. Knowing how good Starcrossed was, I knew I would be in for a lovely ride, but this has absolutely torn my heart out, made me bawl several times, and reignited my hope for love all over again. Maybe one of my favourite romances of all time. Utterly exquisite. (And the MUSIC!)

• Yellow Wife
  • The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • A Beginning at the End
  • The World That We Knew
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • 15 Minutes of Flame (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #3)
  • The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre
  • Down World
  • The Ex Talk
  • The Gravity of Us
  • The Foundling
  • Happily Ever Afters
Minnie Darke is the author of the bestselling novel Star-crossed, winner of the Margaret Scott People's Choice Award, and which has now been published in over 30 countries. Her new novel, The Lost Love Song, is out very soon! She lives in Tasmania with her family.

Photo Credit: Karen Brown